Catherine Deveney…

Catherine Deveney…

Same Old, Same Old…

Catherine Deveney, the Observer journalist who broke the Cardinal O’Brien scandal, is nothing if not relentless in her determination to keep the “story” alive.

Here’s how her latest update, dated 18 May, concludes:

The four complainants say an investigation is about justice, not vengeance. “I will give forgiveness if asked,” says one, “as long as the damage has been recognised. At times, we don’t do ourselves a lot of good by throwing pardon around like confetti without a change of heart. I am angry at the system that licked his boots and allowed him to get on with it.”

Ms Deveney  is only interested (if she is interested) in the alleged damage to four adults, who kept silent about their “damage” for many years before, curiously, spilling the beans when their “tormentor” had effectively retired.

There is no concern at all, from Catherine Deveney, about the damage caused to the Church by the Cardinal and – if all the intelligence coming to us is correct – the Cardinal’s accusers, who are dissenters to a man.  After all, the reason given for the sudden “outing” of the Cardinal, is his vociferous opposition to same-sex marriage, so priests and laymen supportive of same-sex marriage do not fit into the category of faithful Catholics. The damage to Catholicism – and to scandalised souls – is far greater than any damage claimed by the “victims”.

In her tour of the TV news studios, Deveney has been unable to hide her contempt for the Church.  Ditto the accusers, who speak about not liking “the system” (i.e. Christ’s Church) without ever distinguishing between Church and churchmen.  Indeed, in his CV, if our source is correct, one of the accusers, the former priest now married, dismissed his priesthood as time spent working for a “not-for-profit” organization.

The key point which has passed over the head of Ms Deveney (and every other journalist in Scotland) is that the damage inflicted on the Church in Scotland by Cardinal O’Brien goes way beyond the fallout from the sexual misbehaviour for which he has at least offered a cursory apology. We’re still waiting for an apology for the damage he has done to the Catholic Church in her Liturgy, Catholic schools, and every other aspect of the Faith.

• pew catholic

The Church of Scotland General Assembly has today approved actively gay men and women in the ministry. Maybe there’s now a career in Scotland after all for our problem priests, not to mention our cardinal …

May 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I second the motion!

May 20, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I would hope that those Protestant souls who are genuine in their desire to love and serve God will now see the utter falsehood that is Protestantism and return to the true Church. Many Anglicans have seen the light already.

May 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I received the following information this morning, from a reader in England, by email:

I noticed that Fr Despard’s book is no longer available and I tried to send him am email through his parish website and it says email no longer working.

Hope he is ok and not being held hostage by the gay mafia? Are there lay people watching his safety?

I think Bp Devine should be forced out – twitter is full of news about him and covering up gang rape of a small boy in the 1960s. END.

In the light of the Cardinal O’Brien scandal, I think it is all the more urgent for Bishop Devine to issue a statement. The on-going silence from him and from the other Scots bishops is deafening – and, paradoxically, revealing. Without a clear statement from the Bishops, especially the named Bishop (Devine of Motherwell) rumours and innuendo will continue to be broadcast. We’d be delighted to publish a denial from the Bishop and a retraction of anything published on our blog that we have repeated, which is not true.

We have no first hand sources on this and merely publish allegations already in the public domain with the aim of encouraging all concerned, especially each and every Scottish Bishop, to tell us the truth and nothing but the truth, so help them God.

May 21, 2013 at 10:28 am
  • pew catholic

I immediately went to my Kindle to check on the Despard book. When I tried to open it, I got a message saying it wouldn’t open. I was to delete it and download it again from my archive. I didn’t delete it, and tried again. This time it opened, but is Amazon planning to remove a purchase from my Kindle? There’ll be trouble if they do.

Next I checked the Amazon website itself. The book, with all its reviews and comments, has vanished without trace.

What on earth is happening?

May 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    • Benedict

pew catholic

I just Googled it and the Amazon entry comes first on page one. On the Amazon site itself the Kindle edition immediately came up without a problem. It is still for sale and I was able to open up the sample pages and read its contents at will. Perhaps you had a glitch on your Kindle. Similarly with the reviews, all in situ, perfectly readable and obtainable.

May 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm

pew catholic,

My guess is that removal of the book from sale is one of the conditions of not pursuing legal action, whether canonical or civil. Just checked my own Kindle – book still there. Saves me campaigning for a refund.

In the continuing absence of any statement from Bishop Devine or any of those named in the book, I will have no hesitation in quoting liberally (pun intended) from it…

May 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm
  • pew catholic

Benedict, you are indeed right about Googling the book. But strangely, if you Google ‘Amazon’, a search on the UK site for either title or author brings up nothing. Also nothing when I look for it in the Kindle Store itself on my actual Kindle – have you or Editor tried that?

Maybe it is a problem with my Kindle. Although a nuisance, that would be better than deliberate suppression of the book.

May 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm

In the top right hand corner of the Amazon site, reached via Google, I read a statement in small print in the top right hand corner, to say that this book is no longer available to purchase.

May 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm
  • pew catholic

Of course! It’s the American site, Amazon.com, that still has some information, although as Editor has noted, they aren’t selling the book. It has just quietly disappeared, with no official statement from Motherwell diocese, or anywhere else. Disgraceful.

May 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yes, it is disgraceful. The reader who alerted to this lives in England and suggested we forget about Cardinal O’Brien and launch a campaign to get Bishop Devine out of Scotland! She has a point!

May 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm

“I think Bp Devine should be forced out – twitter is full of news about him and covering up gang rape of a small boy in the 1960s”

I think it’s very dangerous to give too much credibility to stuff on the likes of Twitter or Facebook. That’s the first I’ve read of any such “gang rape” and bad and all as things are, I would find it hard to believe that any bishop would cover up such a dreadful sin/crime. If the reader who emailed that information doesn’t have more documentary evidence for it, I would definitely discount it as mere gossip.

May 22, 2013 at 10:18 am
  • Iain Colquhoun

Some thoughts about O’Brien

His being told to leave the country, seems to me to be like part of a ‘Western’ film;
    with O’Brien being ordered by the Sheriff to ride out of town by sundown, n’ keep riding till he left the territory. Then it was heard that the Sheriff wanted him to bide away for a while n’spend some time in prayer n’reflection’. Trouble was, O’Brien neever had much time for ole time religion, n’anyway he was more interested in git’n back to the ranch and catching the varmints that grassed him. (to be continued nextime pardners).
    Has he played his last hand in the Last Chance Saloon? Or will he come back, under cover of darkness?

Iain Colquhoun

Iain, with thanks to J.T.Edson et omne hoc genus.

May 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm
  • Sanctus

A new blogger. I have found that Deveney loves to drag every story that mentions “Catholic”, “Church” & Sex, for what gain I dont know.

In regard to Fr Despard’s book I have not had a chance to read and I doubt I will or want to, however do you know if there is any way of finding out who is mentioned in the book or what is mentioned?

Ed: sorry, I missed this until closing the thread – I think you’d need to read the book to discover that information. I haven’t seen any of it quoted anywhere else.

May 31, 2013 at 6:33 pm