New Archbishop of St Andrew’s & Edinburgh Appointed Today…

New Archbishop of St Andrew’s & Edinburgh Appointed Today…

Monsignor Leo Cushley, has been appointed the new Archbishop of St Andrew’s & Edinburgh.

Let’s hear your thoughts – or, more accurately,  your expectations of the new Archbishop of St Andrew’s & Edinburgh.

• firmiter

Vatican diplomacy is a corporation whose members–rivals to the bitter death amongst each other, but fiercely loyal to the corporation when attacked from outside, but with great individual rivalry–are renowned for having no principals, or better, for their capacity to subordinate any principals they might have to those of their superiors of the moment on whom they depend for promotion. Therein lies the danger. If the superior of the moment is orthodox, all well and good. If he is irregular in doctrine, that’s fine too. What counts is one’s promotion and, as we all know, God is merciful and he can hardly expect us to get it right all the time.

These will be interesting times for Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.

July 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

That is, to put it mildly, the understatement of the year, Firmiter – “interesting times (ahead) for St Andrew’s & Edinburgh. To say the least!

At least, Firmiter, I note that you make the key distinction between “the corporation” (Church) and its members, including those in Headquarters. A distinction which seems to elude the(does she ever smile?) journalist Ms Catherine Deveney (can never remember how to spell her surname and can’t be bothered checking – ye’ all know who I mean)

Reflecting on her interviews on TV throughout this scandal, she constantly speaks about “the Catholic Church” needing to do this or that to improve itself – such arrogance. Nobody seems to think of challenging her about that OR about her persistent “reminders” to us all of the “victims” of Cardinal O’Brien. Sorry, can’t see it. The psychology of any adult who allows him or herself to be sexually abused, even by a superior, is beyond my comprehension. One is, as one has explained before, a simple gal…

July 27, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Testing.

July 26, 2013 at 10:22 am

Yipee! I can log in, therefore I am.

July 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

Welcome back, Therese!

July 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm
  • neri

Jings Crivvens at last we can log in ……..

July 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

Jings, Crivvens, neri, welcome back!

Now that you’ve announced YOUR arrival, what do you think about the announcement of the name of the new Archbishop of St Andrew’s & Edinburgh?

Hopeful or not? Hopeful or what?

July 27, 2013 at 10:22 am
  • neri

I’m always hopeful Editor – God is always with us.

Yes well, the Monsignor seems to think dealing with the Morningsiderati will be much easier than dealing with an African Warlord.

You know what you’re getting with an African Warlord – as a visiting priest said, evil spirits in more affluent societies are marked by a kind of quiet coldness – which went down like a lead balloon in the Edinburgh church he spoke in.

One cannot worship God and Jenners at the same time folks.

By their fruits shall ye know them, lets see what happens to Nunraw, the Yoga/Tai Chi classes at the back of the Cathedral, let’s see if we start having a greater aspiration than to turn into a branch of the CofE.

July 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Well, Neri, I’m sure glad somebody’s hopeful. Cos, me, I’m fresh out of hope with this latest appointment. Don’t get me wrong – if he turns out to be the best thing since Archbishop Lefebvre, I’ll be the first to say “three cheers” but somehow, with a warm welcome on the mat from the Tablet and Queering the Church, I have my reservations – for a one way trip to Outer Siberia! Will you switch off the lights?

By the way – don’t you dare say a word about Jenner’s – I almost bought a coat there once (till I saw the price tag!)

Oh and let us know about the notices at the back of the cathedral once the new Archbishop has had time to settle in. The fate (or not) of that particular scandal will tell its own story.

July 27, 2013 at 11:36 pm
    • spiritustempore

Jenners isn’t what it used to be, since House of Fraser took it over. God might just have the edge, although perhaps not quite yet in Morningside. 🙂

August 2, 2013 at 12:19 am
  • neri

Well it’s one of those small things that point to a deeper malaise elsewhere, a failure in discernment is a failure in discernment. Me ? I tend not to put too much of my faith in princes….but Lord how good it would be if a few saints appeared !

July 28, 2013 at 1:15 am
  • crofterlady

Is despair a sin?

July 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm

CrofterLady,

Real, authentic despair is a grave sin – because it means giving up all hope of salvation.

We use the term loosely (usually when we’re discussing CrofterLady) when what we really mean is a kind of “I’m thoroughly fed up with this – is it ever going to be put right” more than “I’ll never get to Heaven”.

If you despair, CrofterLady – and I don’t recommend it – you really WON’T get to Heaven. Better to cling on to the faint hope that perhaps your hours spent slogging over a hot computer to enlighten the Catholic world in one way or another, will see you through them pearly gates. Then you could put in a wee word for me…

August 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  • spiritustempore

Apparently, despair is one of the four signs of the devil at work. Along with despondency, discouragement and another “D” that I can never remember.

August 2, 2013 at 12:23 am

Spiritustempore,

It could be Dunderheededness!

August 2, 2013 at 12:29 am
      • spiritustempore

LOL…now why did I not think of that 🙂

August 2, 2013 at 1:33 am
  • spiritustempore

I remember….the fourth “D” is doubt. Or d’oh in my case….

August 2, 2013 at 2:08 am

Spiritustempore,

That puts me in mind of the wise adage: Life is like an ash tray, full of little doubts!

August 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm
  • praesentia

Will the new Archbishop of Liverpool be a Catholic?

August 4, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Praesentia,

Since you ask so nicely, and although I know virtually nothing about the Archdiocese of Liverpool, allow me to offer my thoughts on the subject, summarised as follows:

I’d be amazed if yours (I presume you live in the Archdiocese of Liverpool) is the exception to the rule. Only this morning, an elderly gentleman expressed the view to me after Mass that we have NO good bishops in the Church at all. Even those currently touted as the best, are not good enough because they’re all compromising to a greater or lesser extent with the revolution, is his considered view. A considered view that is not without merit, I have to say.

I’ve already posted this excellent article by Gerald Warner on the Pope Francis/Summorum Pontificum thread but it bears repeating, so here it is again. This top Scots journalist speaks his mind as he does from time to time, but not often enough – every word a (factual) jewel.

In short – the answer to your question, all things considered, is “no”: not in the truest sense of what it means to be a Catholic bishop. If I turn out to be wrong (and it’s bound to happen one day) I’ll be moving south to…er…Liverpool! Stand by!

August 4, 2013 at 5:02 pm
  • sixupman

Regarding Liverpool Archdiocese: several Old Rite Masses are available and at one stage the Archbishop agreed to the creation of a ‘Traditional Parish’ but was blocked by the clergy trade union in the diocese. The same priest when he turned-up for the Chrism Mass (?) or some other gathering dressed in cassock, et all, he was scoffed at! Who runs the Diocese these days.Leeds is another example

By the way, in the days of Fr. Black, Liverpool diocesan clergy fraternised with SSPX clergy on a regular basis – happy days..

August 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm