Archbishop Nichols Supports Dissident MPs – Anyone Out There Surprised?

Archbishop Nichols Supports Dissident MPs – Anyone Out There Surprised?

Archbishop Nichols Supports Dissident MPs - Anyone Out There Surprised?

I have received the following email from Chris Whitehouse of the misnamed Catholic Legislators’ Network, giving advance warning, I mean notice, of an article in this week’s Universe, by Archbishop Vincent Nichols of aren’t “gay Masses” terrific fame:

Please find attached a whole page article to be published in this weekend’s edition of The Universe in which Archbishop Vincent Nichols reflects on the same sex marriage legislation and the way in which the debate has been conducted. Colleagues who have faced criticism, from whatever quarter, for the position that they took might find the closing section quoting St Paul’s letter to Titus a source of solace!

The Hierarchy has been very aware of the pressure that some Members have been under, on both sides of the debate, and are, I know from personal contact with them which Rob Flello and I have had, keen to reach out and to enhance the pastoral support that is provided to Members both in Westminster and in their home dioceses not only in relation to controversial legislation such as that which has just received Royal Assent, but also in the wider aspects of their role as Catholics in public life. END

Now, why would I be included in Mr Whitehouse’s circulation list on this topic, if not to scare me into thinking “WOW! An archbishop who thinks the MPs who voted for same-sex marriage are right to cite conscience”?

I could scarcely make out the text of the article but I read enough of the globbledegook on “freedom of conscience” towards the end of the piece to know that Archbishop Nichols is as wrong on this as were Mr Whitehouse and Mr Flello when they first made the mistake of contacting me. I mean is anyone, apart from these clueless Members of Parliament, surprised that Archbishop Nichols supports their dissent? Don’t they know his reputation as a “liberal”?

What would I say to the archbishop if I bumped into him in Sauchiehall Street? One word, folks. You guessed it: gerragrip!

For background: read Letter from Rob Flello MP

And reply from Catholic Truth

• freud

Petrus the murder of the innocents in the womb is not in any way nor ever can be equated with ‘homosexual acts’
    Explain to me what EXACTLY in your understanding is a homosexual act. These phrases are bandied about liberally by those who seem to know better than those they seem to accuse. Exactly what do you mean???

August 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    • Petrus

Freud,

You may not like to admit it, but all I do is repeat the Traditional teaching of the Church.

The sin of sodomy – which in fact is any unnatural sexual act between persons of the same sex – is described as an abomination in Holy Scripture:

“There were also the effeminate in the land, and they did according to all the abominations of the people whom the Lord had destroyed before the face of the children of Israel.” 1 Kings 14:24.

So, the sin of sodom, which involves all sexual acts between persons pf the same sex, is just as sinful as Wilful murder. Abortion must be one of the most heinous forms of wilful murder, so I conclude that they are both equally as abominable in the eyes of God.

August 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm
  • sixupman

Is it not time to stop playing Freud’s and his playmate’s game? They will always have to have the last bitching word and it is becoming boring – indeed trolling on their part.

August 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Sixupman,

I agree with you. Freud and Constantine the Great are trolls, this is now patently obvious.

August 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm
      • Petrus

Actually, I disagree. We can’t be certain of another’s motives. Freud et al could be touched by our comments. Who knows?

Also, infinitely more people read the blog than contribute to it. Our reasoned explanations could help them in their confusion or help them explain things to others. Bearing in mind the educational nature of this blog, I don’t think we are at the stage of dismissing these contributors as trolls….yet!

August 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Petrus,

I hear what you’re saying, but there comes a point when the education side of things gets pretty much exhausted and the exchange becomes a pointless exercise for all concerned. The line has to be drawn somewhere. If they show no signs of paying heed to Sacred Scripture and the teaching of the Church, best shake the dust from your feet and move on.

August 5, 2013 at 8:41 pm
      • freud

Athanasius, please explain the reasons you have come to the conclusion that myself and Constantine the Great are now trolls?????. Just because someone disagrees with you and yes may even disagree with the interpretation of Scripture, is that sufficient to become a Troll. Really I would like you to explain.
        I will assume that the label is meant to be somewhat insulting; in that case may God Bless you and open your heart to His eternal love++

August 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    • crofterlady

I agree, sixupman, it is time to ignore Freud and his playmate.

August 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

CrofterLady,

I don’t think we should publicly blacklist someone. If blogging is an apostolate then dealing with dissenters and homosexual dissenters is part of the work, surely? I am learning from the posts from Petrus and I’m sure there are other people benefiting from them as well.

I think anyone who doesn’t want to deal with Freud should ignore him but he should be allowed to have his say. That’s the only way to correct the wrong-headed thinking of homosexuals like himself.

August 5, 2013 at 9:30 pm
      • freud

Crofter lady/ Margaret Mary, from whence do you assume that I am a Homosexual??? As I have said elsewhere I am a Son of God and a member of the Royal Priesthood of Jesus Christ. So what makes you assume homosexuality on my part

August 5, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Freud,

The reason I have come to the conclusion that you in particular are a troll is because you have failed to engage in debate with anyone here. There has been no disagreement on your part with comments I have posted, for example, because you have just ignored them and continued to pose a series of questions to Petrus, sometimes slipping in a little blasphemy, such as your reference to God as He/She.

You do not have a different take on Scripture to me, as you claim. Rather, you are contemptuous of Sacred Scripture which is obvious from your refusal to comment on the Scriptural texts, such as St. Paul, that have been quoted to you. You even ignored the writings of St. Peter Damian, a Doctor of the Church.

Your intention, then, from where I stand, is to attempt to defend the indefensible by quoting certain Scriptural texts out of context and ignoring those which prove inconvenient to your cause. That is patently dishonest and I will have no part in it.

August 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Freud

I believe a homosexual act involves anal penetration by one man on another*. An act which is not only an aberration, but intrinsically sinful, deadly to the soul, and and extremely dangerous to the body. Medical science backs this up.

*There are commonly also other extremely perverse and disgusting practices which decency prevents me from describing on this forum.

I’m left wondering what YOU think a homosexual act is?

I am very pleased, however, to read your passionate condemnation of abortion.

God bless you.

August 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    • Petrus

I think we should avoid graphic descriptions of what is an what isn’t a homosexual act. Freud knows fine well what constitutes these revolting outrages. He’s playing silly beggars. Suffice it to say that any sexual act between two persons of the same sex is abominable.

Now, I’ve heard it said that the “sin of sodom” refers to only one specific act. This is false. Homosexual acts of any nature are all part of the sin of sodom. This article from new advent is particularly helpful.

“In a recent homily our parish priest said, “No matter what anyone tells you, the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was a sin against hospitality.” He said that Genesis 19, where the incident of Sodom’s destruction is recounted, is one of the most misinterpreted sections of the Bible. He claims the inhabitants of those cities were destroyed by God for not being hospitable to strangers. What is the official Catholic teaching on the nature of the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah? I’m worried that modern interpretations like this priest’s are used to downplay the sin of homosexuality.

If there’s any misrepresenting going on, it’s being perpetrated by your parish priest. There is nothing in Genesis 18 or 19 which could support his theory that a lack of hospitality was the crime that caused God to annihilate Sodom and Gomorrah. In Genesis 18 God said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great, and their sin [singular] is so grave . . .” (v. 20). What was the sin which “cried out” for punishment?

Genesis 19 recounts the story of how Abraham’s nephew, Lot, entertained two angels at his home in Sodom. Word got around that Lot had some visiting men in his home, and “the townsmen of Sodom, both young and old,” gathered outside his home, clamoring for the two visitors to be turned over so that they could be homosexually raped: “Where are the men who came to your house tonight? Bring them out to us that we might have intimacies with them.”

Notice what’s going on here. The strangers had been shown hospitality by Lot and his family (vv. 1-3). The townsmen didn’t cry out to Lot that they wanted to be “inhospitable” to the visitors, but that they wanted to have intercourse with them, which is something markedly different. Lot attempts to quell the mob by offering them his two virgin daughters, suspecting that because these men were homosexuals they would refuse. The entire account revolves around a single sin: homosexuality.

While it’s true that later Old Testament prophets pointed out other sins the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were guilty of (Is. 1:9-20, 3:9, Ezek. 16:46-51, Jer. 23:14), it’s clear that the primary sin, the sin which provoked God’s wrath, was homosexuality.

If you examine the Old Testament passages in which God outlines the sins which would merit the death penalty under the Mosaic Law (Lev. 20:27, 24:10-23; Deut. 13:5-10, 21:18-21, 22:21-24), you’ll see that homosexuality was condemned alongside such crimes as murder, idolatry, and blasphemy (Lev. 20:13). Search as you might, you won’t find the Lord meting out the death penalty to persons guilty of inhospitality.”

Please, let’s avoid getting into the nitty gritty. It is crude business.

August 5, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I’m sorry to disagree, Petrus, but it is because people don’t know the “nitty gritty” of this “crude business” that it is thought to be harmless. I have seen some of the graphic stuff which is in school worksheets, and it is truly horrible. If pupils in schools can be taught this, then adults should know as well. Knowledge is power.

August 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Margaret Mary,

Knowledge is power, as you say. But as someone else once said: “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” There are perhaps some things that do not bear in-depth examination on a Catholic blog. I suggest St. Peter Damian as the best source for those who want to understand the truth about homosexual practice. Graphic detail should not be required for those who have any semblance of Christian modesty and morality left in their souls.

August 5, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Petrus

Forgive me, but I think that’s a mistaken point of view. These are gross and unnatural acts; we should not allow them to be mistaken for “acts of love”, but challenge them forthrightly. Homosexuals are very successful in promoting their “lifestyle”, and have been very successful with the general public, but they (and the media) are still very careful to shield the public from what, in fact, homosexual acts entail. With good reason.

August 5, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • Petrus

Therese,

I know where you are coming from but we must avoid vulgarity. Everyone knows what homosexual acts entail. Your comment was a little too graphic. Homosexuality can be challenged without going into detail.

August 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm
      • Josephine

Petrus,

I don’t think everyone does know what homosexual acts entail. I agree that vulgarity is to be avoided but I think it’s because an awful lot of people don’t really understand the depravity of the activities that they think it’s only about two people who “love” each other. I don’t know what the answer is as to how to provide such information,but I think the facts about what exactly goes on between two homosexuals has to be part of learning about why homosexual behaviour is considered evil and perverted.

August 5, 2013 at 9:49 pm
  • lucellie1

Just testing to see if I can get back to the blog

August 5, 2013 at 8:47 pm
  • lucellie1

OK well I can, but I’m really Christina, having acquired a newname

August 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm
    • Josephine

Lucellie1,

That happened to me once but when I logged in I clicked on my profile in the dashboard and then changed my name where it says “publicly display name as” and put in Josephine there. But you need to remember to save the change at the bottom of the page or it won’t show.

August 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm
      • lucellie1

Thanks Josephine, but I’ve done that to no avail. I’ve been having major glitches for a day or two, and I’ll have to stop moaning to Editor about them or she’ll be sacking me. Ah well, a rose by any other name, etc.

August 5, 2013 at 10:22 pm
  • Petrus

Margaret Mary,

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I don’t think there are many people around who need a lesson in what homosexuals get up to!

I’m interested in what worksheets you have seen. I’ve seen some horrific worksheets.

August 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  • Petrus

Margaret Mary,

That’s an excellent post. We should all remember that it is for admin to suggest when someone should or should not be ignored. If individuals feel they cannot respond then they should just do so quietly without making an announcement.

August 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Thank you for that Petrus – yes, would anyone who does not wish to engage with any particular blogger, just ignore them. In due course, if necessary, I will take the necessary steps to moderate his posts. Public criticism of an individual blogger (as opposed to challenging his/her arguments) creates an unpleasant tone on the blog and you all know how much I’m into tone and style… Seriously, this is a Catholic blog and we don’t want to risk being unkind to someone who appears to be a troll but may simply be a very mixed up homosexual – God help him.

Thus, until I have had time to study the posts and make a decision, please would the rest of the blighters, I mean bloggers, either engage civilly with Freud, who must answer the points raised or I will have to presume that he is a troll and moderate his posts accordingly.

I’ve been offline due to technical problems which mysteriously resolved themselves so, had there been kind enquiries about my prolonged absence, this would have been the time to express my gratitude.

You have to laugh, don’t you?

August 6, 2013 at 8:53 am
  • spiritustempore

Petrus the murder of the innocents in the womb is not in any way nor ever can be equated with ‘homosexual acts”

“Just because someone disagrees with you and yes may even disagree with the interpretation of Scripture, is that sufficient to become a Troll”.

“From whence do you assume that I am a Homosexual??? As I have said elsewhere I am a Son of God and a member of the Royal Priesthood of Jesus Christ. So what makes you assume homosexuality on my part?”

Freud, you’re a troll, and not a very good one.

1. Murder and homosexual acts are two of the four sins crying out to Heaven for vengeance, according to Catholic doctrine.

2. It’s not a question of “interpretation” of scripture. Scripture is categoric and perfectly clear on the subject.

3. If you’re a priest, I’m a banana. Clues: Poor grammar, poor reasoning skills and a shocking ignorance on the fundamentals of the faith. I suppose that you could be the fruit of one of the Scottish seminaries, but I doubt that even they would turn out priests quite so inadequate.

August 5, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    • freud

Spiritustempoere, I didn’t realise I was talking /reading the comments of a banana. Hey you never know on these sites do you. I will continue to read your posts with a little more sympathy given your unfortunate condition. As for the grammar, am sure you will get over that given time. Sorry I am not a very good troll for you to abuse but there we are. God Bless and keep you and may He open your heart to the truth of the Lord Jesus++

August 6, 2013 at 12:36 am
      • ignatius1970

“God Bless and keep you and may He open your heart to the truth of the Lord Jesus++”

You’ve got to laugh when pro-sodomites ask that our Lord open the hearts of those who don’t share their perverted view. Maybe they should also pray that our Lord should open the eyes of the NHS to allow sodomites to donate blood. I mean, why ever not… If it’s perfectly normal?

Freud and his chums have turned Catholicism into a wholly subjective religion. Sad state of affairs.

August 6, 2013 at 9:12 am
  • spiritustempore

Freud,

For the avoidance of doubt, you’re no priest.

August 6, 2013 at 1:14 am
    • pewcatholic

Could he be Archbishop Nichols?

August 6, 2013 at 10:26 am
  • westminsterfly

Sorry folks, off topic, but I can’t comment on the general thread for some reason – two very worthy be-petitions to sign here – the first one about the Franciscans of the Immaculate being denied the right to offer the TLM:- http://www.corrispondenzaromana.it/in-support-of-the-franciscans-of-the-immaculate-and-of-the-traditional-mass/#wpcf7-f16657-p16660-o1 and then one asking our bishops to consecrate England and Wales to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary:-
    http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Consecration_of_England_and_Wales_to_the_Sacred_Heart_and_the_Immaculate_Heart_of_Mary/?ajTCndb (and before anyone says it, I KNOW that the only consecration that will bring about world peace is Russia, but I still think these other, lesser consecrations are still pleasing to Our Lord and Our Lady and bring blessings and protection to some degree).

August 6, 2013 at 7:46 am

WestminsterFly,

I am all for petitions to consecrate England and Wales, but not so sure about a consecration to the Sacred Heart and Immaculate Heart at the same time.

Allow me to explain this strange statement. It seems to me that when people propose a dual consecration to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts it is because they fear that a consecration of the nation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary on her own somehow detracts from the honour due to God. This is utterly false and very dangerous. All is given to Jesus through Mary, she keeps nothing for herself.

It is a common error today for Catholics to fear honouring Our Lady too singularly lest they offend God by excessive devotion to one who is not divine (Jansenism). Poor souls, they don’t seem to realise that there is not the slightest possibility that we, mere creatures, could ever come close to honouring the Blessed Mother in the way that God has honoured her.

I hope I’m not misreading the intention, it’s just that we have to be careful.

August 6, 2013 at 11:33 am
  • spiritustempore

Pewcatholic

You might be onto something there…. 🙂

August 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm
  • westminsterfly

Point taken Athanasius. I know that the usual reason given for not doing such Marian consecrations is fear of upsetting the ecumenical applecart . . . I don’t know the person who created this petition, so I don’t know his motive for including both. But it is worth recalling a letter Sister Lucia wrote in 1936. Responding to a priest’s inquiry about the consecration of Russia, Lucia answered: “I have spoken to Our Lord about the subject and not too long ago I asked Him why He would not convert Russia without the Holy Father making the consecration. He replied ‘Because I want My whole Church to acknowledge that consecration as a triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary so that it may extend its cult later on and put the devotion to the Immaculate Heart beside the devotion to My Sacred Heart.’ In a sense, devotion to the two Hearts is inseparable. I hope the petition creator intended it in that sense.

August 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

WestminsterFly,

I share your hope about the petition organiser and his motives. I suppose consecrations to the two hearts would have to be looked upon as a major triumph in Britain anyway. Such a consecration would certainly bring graces.

Now, I have to mention the petition for the Franciscans of the Immaculate. I found this on Rorate Caeli’s website. It is a direct request from the Order in question:

‘Having learned of the online petition organized by the website of the Association “Corrispondenza Romana” in order to gather signatures to be presented to the Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life against the Decree of 11 July 2013 (Prot. 52741/2012), after having already expressed its position several times and after having released the official communication of its Father Founder, the Religious Institute of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate REAFFIRMS its obedience to the dispositions of the Holy Father, DECLARES that it will have NOTHING TO DO with the initiative of the aforesaid website or any like initiative, past or future, REJECTS any attempt to use a matter internal to the Institute to attack the Pope and the Catholic Hierarchy, and APPEALS TO ALL to maintain SILENCE, RESPECT AND PRAYER regarding the matter, in order to allow the competent authorities to carry out their task in peace for the good of the Church and of the Institute.

In Corde Matris

Fr. Rosario M. Sammarco, fi
    Encharged (sic) of the Institutional Website of the Franciscans Friars of the Immaculate’

To be honest, WestminsterFly, these Franciscans are trying to play both sides. I don’t mean that in a nasty way, but they are fence sitting when it comes to the Mass, hedging their bets by acknowledging both rites as equally edifying. Middle of the road is never a good place to stand! Besides, to say that both the old and new rites of Mass are equally worthy is theologically dishonest.

August 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm
  • Jacinta

I just want to say that I am not one bit surprised that Archbishop Nichols is supporting politicians who voted for same sex marriage. + + Nichols’s support for gays is now legend and I for one wouldn’t be surprised if he openly supported gay marriage himself. I really wouldn’t.

August 6, 2013 at 11:25 pm
  • spiritustempore

Me neither, Jacinta.

I often wonder just why that should be….

August 7, 2013 at 12:15 am