Modern Family Life: Ever Wondered How Many Brothers & Sisters You Have?

Modern Family Life: Ever Wondered How Many Brothers & Sisters You Have?

I think we’d all agree that the consequences of the much lauded “sexual liberation” of recent decades has yet to be assessed in its full impact. As one mother said to me a couple of years ago, when the time comes that almost every family finds itself nursing an AIDS sufferer, or a family member with some other sexually transmitted disease, people just might begin to realise that the “sexual liberation” of the Swinging Sixties era is not all it was cracked up to be.

The truth of this was brought home to me recently when a couple of friends contacted me, in shock, to tell me about another consequence of the “do as you please” immorality prevalent in our times. One friend from days of yore was stunned to discover that one of her several siblings was, in fact, the product of an affair between her mother and another man. The child was adopted into the family, thanks to the forgiving, although devastated, husband, father of my friend.

Another friend spoke of being stunned on discovering that he has a sister of whom he knew nothing until a few days ago – this time because of an affair between his father and another woman.

This, I believe, is a snapshot of what lies in store for many families in the years ahead. Illicit affairs, and casual intimacy, with offspring who may never know the identity of their fathers, with siblings all over the place unknown to one another – or about whom they only learn in adulthood. And the more commonplace these situations become, the less they will shock. Relativism into nihilism: we’ve fast moved from thinking that things are only wrong in relation to certain other factors, to not knowing right from wrong at all.

Am I alone in lamenting this dreadful state of (literally) affairs?

And just as I’ve been hearing these “family secrets”, I’ve also been hearing from parents who are worried about the Scottish Government’s proposals to allocate a State Guardian to every child. Think about it. The same politicians who have created, either directly or by their complicity, the current moral chaos around us, want to have the final say in how children are raised by their parents. Crazy.  All ideas on what parents can do to stop this latest political interference in family life, welcome.

Talk to me.

• Magdalene

Scottish Priest,

I hope this is not ‘off topic’ but I am somewhat confused.

According to the Old Testament, Enoch, Elijah and Ezekiel were assumed into Heaven. However, in the New Testament – John 3:13 it states: “No-one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven – the Son of Man”.

August 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    • scottish priest

well if that’s the case where do we get the doctrine of the Assumption – it has to come from scripture or we are just making it up… And yet Jesus tells us that Lazarus the poor man goes into heaven and is comforted by Abraham.. or that Moses Elijah and Abraham are also in heaven according to Jesus or perhaps the transfiguration with Moses and Elijah appearing was maybe just a vision.. but why would Peter want to build three tents for a vision..quoting John out of context is a very protestant thing to do.. there has to be a witness tot he scripture before the doctrine can exist or the protestants are right so too with the canon of scripture the books in the bible in the NT needed a n eye witness to be accepted intothe canon or again we are in trouble..this is why we have 73 and the protestants have 66 in the common canon

As Mentioned above I can make the scriptures say whatever I want unless the Church which is the “pillar and foundation of truth guides me.. this is what the evangelicals and protestants are coming to realise in big numbers in eh USA

August 27, 2013 at 8:23 am
      • Eileenanne

Scottish Priest,

You said: “…well if that’s the case where do we get the doctrine of the Assumption – it has to come from scripture or we are just making it up…”

I thought only Protestants believed in “sola scriptura” and that the Assumption of Our Lady was something the Church always taught and believed as part as part of Tradition – things not written down, but taught by the first apostles – which was eventually formally defined as dogma.
        As editor said above, Tradition carries equal weight with scripture as the source of Catholic belief. Not everything we believe is in the bible.

August 27, 2013 at 9:36 am

Scottish Priest,

I answered John Haldane’s criticism that the Assumption and Immaculate Conception were “later dogmas” here (see Editor Replies, page 6) so, although the context is slightly different, I think that what I wrote there – with the help of a traditional priest (not one of those “in good standing” with the local bishop, but, I have no doubt, in excellent standing with God)- applies to what you say about Scripture on this thread.

Note: the fact that it is recorded that Our Lord said in St John’s Gospel that the Paraclete would come to remind the apostles of all that He had taught them, demonstrates, in a sense, that these dogmas and later definitions also, ARE rooted in Scripture, whether or not explicitly recorded there. We can’t just “make it up” – there has to be solid evidence from Scripture, the earliest writings of the Fathers, etc. that a particular belief was held from the beginning. Quite different from the Protestant belief that unless it’s explicitly recorded in Scripture, it’s not true.

As for those floods of evangelical converts, as I’ve said before, to what kind of set-up are they converting? Is it along the “charismatic renewal” (i.e. essentially Protestant) type of parish/diocese, or what?

August 27, 2013 at 10:41 am
      • scottish priest

I have just sifted through you reference in a previous CT newsletter. I have no issue with Scripture and Tradition being inseparable one grew out of the other and into the other as it were. Tradition is the lungs through which the scriptures breath as somebody once said ..if not I’m claiming it! I once shared a bus journey with Prof haldane in Jericho we discussed the assumption of the Blessed Mother from Jerusalem or Ephesus – I opted for Ephesus he for Jerusalem – both perfectly legitimate: one honours the tradition the other the scriptures. If you opt for Jerusalem you have recourse to tradition but you have to get her from Ephesus.. if you opt for Ephesus you are in line with both. I don’t think for one second that he has any questions about the dogmas of the Church if the conversations I had with him on that journey are a measure of his leaning, I’d say he was pretty orthodox (I don’t really lie using the word orthodox, its another religion really).

I noticed in that newsletter a reference to Mgr Loftus and vestments and lace etc.. You might be interested to know one of the few precious things to survive the destruction of the temple were ornate vestments. They were considered part of the essential worship material as it were. This means they were cleverly hidden in order to preserve them. The ignorance surrounding lace vestments is another issue. Anyone care to guess where they came from?? I suspect most don’t ..anyhow this will help when trying to identify the leaning of the priest .. The origin of the lace was meant to reflect yes the dignity of the Mass but they represented the fishing nets or the nets of the fishermen – that is of the Apostles.. you could argue a continuity there… They SHOULD resemble thick links that clearly resemble nets as it were – the finery of the intricate lace is not really part of the tradition it grew into the practise as the focus became on extravagance and not on accuracy. It is sadly a trait of how shall we say .. the lighter the the finer the lace the lighter he is on his feet. The style and type of lace is a a discussion point among seminarians and indeed those priests in the traditional Mass know that the lace makes a statement .. in seminary students with fine lace are confused with traditional when it suggests something else. In other words the more masculine the lace (if there be such a thing), the more authentic it is – I suppose you could argue that what the lace originally meant has been disfigured

August 29, 2013 at 8:52 am

Scottish Priest,

You say of Professor Haldane that “he (is) pretty orthodox”

I haven’t met the Professor but I’ve exchanged fairly extensive email correspondence, culminating in the article he submitted which you read in Issue No. 71, March, 2012, and found him courteous and helpful in our exchanges.

However, quite apart from the fact that John did not hold to the essential Catholic doctrine that the entire deposit of the Faith was revealed before the death of the last apostle, as brought out in my reply to his article, he regards the dissident Open House as being on a par, so to speak, with Catholic Truth, as if it were OK to peddle error and heresy and equally OK for us to challenge it. Really? Given that it is a grave sin to entertain doubts about what God has revealed, how can it be “orthodox” to sow doubts in the minds of Open House readers?

Answer: it can’t be; this is not the mindset of someone who holds to orthodox Catholic beliefs.

About the lace – that is very interesting indeed, I didn’t know any of that about the lace representing the fishing nets. WOW! I must use that. Something tells me you’re going to make it into the October edition, Scottish Priest – fame at last!

August 29, 2013 at 9:37 am
      • scottish priest

That’s very interesting! i did not read all of the content as I said I sifted through it..time does not allow. Sounds as if he he is a bit of a chameleon then.. his personality type is don’t rock the boat for sure, however, my only experience of him in the discussion I had left me thinking he was in line with Church.. Oh well

August 29, 2013 at 10:38 am
  • scottish priest

Eileenanne

I think you misunderstand me – the context in the discussion above was where do we get the teachings from – the oral tradition has to have a source in the spoken word handed down as clearly taught by the Church. If it did come down from the words of Jesus or the Apostles it didn’t just appear –
    My point Editor is that they are rooted in scripture

August 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Eileenanne

Protestants do NOT believe in Sola Scriptura at all. Anyone who still maintains this gobsmacking lie is a moron. If the Protestant false Churches believe in Sola Scriptura then be a lamb, and tell me why they ordain women and sodomites? Why don’t they share our beliefs on the Eucharist? Go onto these links and yet again you’ll see why they are wrong and always have been:

Sola Fide is not Biblical, either.

Scottish Priest

‘this is what the evangelicals and protestants are coming to realise in big numbers in eh USA’. Please enlighten me.

catholicconvert1

August 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm
    • Eileenanne

CatholicConvert,
      I guess there are just so many different kinds of Protestants that we cannot say that any particular belief is “what Protestants believe”. Some, maybe most, do claim scripture as the sole authority. The problem may be that each sect interprets the Bible differently.

I KNOW they are wrong. I’m a Catholic. If I believed Protestants (any kind) were right, I’d have to become a Protestant.

August 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm
  • catholicconvert1

The Assumption is in Scripture. It is in the Book of Revelation 12:1-5.

August 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm
  • Josephine

A friend sent me this report, see below. I thought this thread was the best place to put it, since the granting of “human rights” to contraception and abortion has let to the confused family relationship covered here:

Please see the BBC article here…

It seems Hilary Clinton is to be honoured at St. Andrews Uni next month for ‘championing human rights’. What’s this – some kind of sick joke?

The most fundamental of all human rights is the right to be born – without this, all other human rights are meaningless.

We need lots of protests, please, to the Principal – Professor Louise Richardson

e-mail principal@st-andrews.ac.uk

College Gate
    North Street
    St Andrews
    Fife
    KY16 9AJ
    Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: 01334 462544

Protests to local papers would also be helpful, e.g. Fife Today

23 Kirk Wynd
    Kirkcaldy

Fife
    Scotland
    KY1 1EP

e-mail ffpnews@fifetoday.co.uk
    Tel: 01592 598808

August 28, 2013 at 1:50 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Scottish Priest

Could you post a link to show the number of US evangelicals/ Protestants who you say are converting?

catholicconvert1

August 29, 2013 at 11:51 am
  • scottish priest

catholic answers (cathoic.com) or the Journey home has someone new almost every week, they may be able to give you a more accurate number of ministers converting tot the faith but its pretty high.. in the 100’s I believe

August 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Catholic Answers is not a very reliable source, if you follow their attacks on traditionalists and the response of The Remnant Newspaper (American)

August 29, 2013 at 4:16 pm
  • Leo

Scottish Priest and Catholicconvert1

I know this is a bit behind time, but the following might be of interest on the question of how the New Advent, New Springtime, New Evangelisation, Nuclear devastation is progressing in the US. It doesn’t deal with Protestants converting, but rather with the traffic in the opposite direction. Crisis with bells on, I would say. I know one neo-Cath bigwig has used the conversion line to defend the Conciliar destruction, but that smacks of desperation to me.

The attached link is interesting because this highlighting of the slow motion train crash that is taking place in the Church in the US comes from someone who is far removed from the traditionalist camp. I believe, although I’m open to correction, that Ralph Martin is a big noise in the Charismatic Movement.

I think I’m correct in saying that 20% of the US population is nominally Catholic. Polls after the last two Presidential elections claim that Catholics voted in the same proportion as others i.e. on two occasions a majority voted for an antichrist Alinskyite who is waging full frontal warfare against the Kingship of Christ, indeed against natural law itself.

Even allowing for turnout figures, it is a matter of fact that if US Catholics exercised their franchise as one would expect any semi-conscious, faithful, believing Catholic to vote, then a creature such as Obama, or Clinton or any other Democrat or indeed Republican who regarded the butchering of unborn children or the celebration of sodomy as a matter of principle and “rights” would be totally and permanently unelectable.

What exactly does that say about Conciliar New Evangelisation?

August 30, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I think this action in Germany is a frightening warning of where home-schooling can lead

I have friends who home-school in the USA, England and Scotland. Reading this discussion thread, Modern Family Life seems to have led to promiscuity and any sign of families wanting to redress the balance is likely to be suppressed.

August 31, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Lily,

I’ve read that report right through and it is a total disgrace. I think surely an organisation like Lifesitenews or maybe the Christian Institute should be able to fund a court case to the EU Human Rights court about this? It’s an absolute outrage. It’s institutionalised bullying of parents and a complete erosion of their rights to educate their children at home if they choose. I hope it could never happen here but who knows.

August 31, 2013 at 5:14 pm