The Church of ‘Holy Father Francis’ asks: tell us what teachings you want changed…

We Are Here To Help You

The Church of Holy Father Francis asks:  tell us what teachings you want changed...

The world’s bishops have been asked to survey priests and people for their answers to questions on all the old chestnuts: cohabitation, contraception, divorce and remarriage, same-sex marriage.  Click on the logo to read the questionnaire

Delusional as ever, even as we approach the end, the Bishops of England & Wales posed the following question, neatly avoiding facing up to the reality of a crisis of faith and authority within the Church, affecting members at every level:

3. Question 3c: In the current generational crisis, how have Christian families been able to fulfil their vocation of transmitting the faith?

See? It’s not a crisis of faith we’re suffering after all, it’s a “generational crisis”.  Crackers.

Feel free to comment on your own particular “favourite” from this daft and highly dangerous questionnaire but consider, also, the many related key issues including this one:

Pope Francis seems to have made it his business to give hope to the dissenters and heretics who currently exercise undue influence within the Church.  An Irish reader sent me a copy of an article from Western People, dated 7th October, in which Fr Brendan Hoban of the Association of (anything but) Catholic Priests is positively thrilled that “the platform of reform the ACP had established (is) being consistently echoed in Pope Francis’s thoughts and symbolic actions. We discovered to our amazement that the new pope was stealing all our best ideas!” The ACP, remember, want a new church – we’ve published their objectives many times. Apostate is the word that best describes them. And they could not be more delighted with the new pontiff, whose personal utterances have been nothing short of scandalous to anyone with any sense of authentic Catholic Faith about them.   Now, with this latest signal to the faithless that big changes are possible, Pope Francis is continuing to wreak havoc.

We’ve been of this opinion for quite some time but we’d like to spell it out one more time, in words of one syllable: anyone who considers him/herself to be remotely “conservative” or “orthodox” but who is still refusing to break ranks, anyone who is still subscribing in any way whatsoever, under any pretext whatsoever, to a diocesan parish, is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The surveys being conducted by the world’s bishops  are designed to raise (false) hopes that Catholic dogma and the natural moral law can be changed.  Catholics attending parishes up and down the land are already subject to modernist influences, through the display of Catholic papers that are anything but Catholic, church bulletins extolling the virtues of ecumenism etc. These influences cannot be avoided, and now, in addition, announcements will be made, survey forms distributed, homilies delivered, all giving the impression that big changes are possible, and are coming to a parish near you, soon.  Thus, to continue to support the diocesan structure at this stage in the end-game (and we’re definitely in the end-game now) is to make a mockery of the very word “orthodox”. Not to mention making a mockery of Catholic obedience, which is, in its essence, obedience to Catholic Tradition.   As Archbishop Lefebvre said, however, and few modern Catholics have grasped this truth: “Satan’s masterstroke was to get  Catholics to disobey the whole of Tradition in the name of obedience.”

And don’t say you can’t attend an SSPX chapel because the Society is in an irregular situation. Ask yourself what will be considered “irregular” in Heaven: a holy archbishop who made himself unpopular by acting to preserve Catholic Tradition in the face of the threats he (rightly and prophetically) perceived after Vatican II,  and his priests who are preaching the Faith as it has been handed down to us for 2,000 years, or a pontiff who is so “liberal” that he is the darling of pro-abortion feminist groups and “gays” alike.

Be absolutely clear about this: you’re NOT “orthodox” if you’re still supporting a diocesan parish. End of.  If reading the questionnaire doesn’t immediately strike you as an outright insult to Our Lord, then you’ll continue to coast along within the diocesan structure, whether you’re a priest or a layperson. If you ARE immediately struck by the shocking implication of it all, you’ll realise that it’s time to take off the gloves – and  (no matter how nice he is, no matter how “orthodox” he seems) wave your parish priest and/or your bishop “goodbye”.

• crofterlady

We have waved goodbye. We said a “dry Mass” from the old missal, the Rosary and devotions both yesterday and today. I was surprised at the richness of the old liturgy when I eventually got the hang of how to pray the Mass. I thought I would be distraught but no, I feel completely at peace and moreover, CATHOLIC!

November 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

I am very intrigued by the idea of a ‘dry Mass’. Would you further explain this, i.e. the norms should I want to offer one, and how to do it.

November 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm
      • crofterlady

It was a society priest who told me about it. he said he said it for 8 years as a young man as he couldn’t, in conscience, attend the NO. Then he entered the seminary and is now a priest. Basically, you read the Mass for the day (old missal) with the appropriate add ons i.e. introit, gradual, secret, communion and postcommunion etc. It takes about 30 minutes. It is very rich liturgically and satisfying. The chapel (St. Margaret’s and St. Leonard’s) in Edinburgh has a very handy missalette which you could try and obtain.

November 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

I have a 1962 missal. Is the missalette at St M & L’s specifically about dry Mass? Do I recite the entire order of the Mass and make a spiritual Communion?

November 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Miles Immaculatae,

The term “dry Mass” simply means that you are not actually present at Mass but only reading (and praying) the missal. If you stay at home and read through your missal when you can get to the Traditional Mass, that would be sinful. Mortally so. Crofterlady lives in remote place where there are no Traditional Masses on Sundays.

I’m concerned that – as a convert – you may be thinking that this is a permissible substitute for attending Mass when the weather’s bad or whatever. It is not. Emphatically,

November 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Don’t worry Editor, I was thinking about when I visit my family. It takes ages to get to SSPX Whally Range form where they live, and I couldn’t in conscience go to my local Novus Ordo, they have every irregularity going. I can’t missing Mass, so depressing. Can I say dry Mass on weekdays, when there daily Traditional Mass is not available as I would a spiritual communion? Or is that considered wrong?

November 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Of course, any day of the week, and any time you genuinely cannot get to Mass, you can pray through the missal. And a spiritual Communion, Our Lord has revealed to various saints, including St John Vianney and St Catherine of Sienna, is very pleasing to Him.

Thank you for your reassurance. I would hate to think Crofterlady was leading you astray. She keeps trying to lead me astray but I’m always one step ahead of her 🙂

November 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Can I recite the Eucharistic prayer including the words of consecration, or would that be gravely improper?

November 4, 2013 at 12:30 am
      • scottish priest

I’d suggest you read the gospel or pray the psalms – Jesus prayed the psalms, pretty good example there

November 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

Miles Immaculatae,

You sure know how to make a drama out of a crisis!

You do what you do at Mass when you follow the Mass in your missal. I personally put my missal down at the Consecration but I’m sure it’s not improper to read the words of Consecration.

If you can’t get to Mass, all you are doing is reading through the Mass as prayerfully as you can. Just miss out the sermon 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 9:26 am

Miles Immaculatae,

Just to clarify – a “dry Mass” would only be an option if you could not attend a TLM. It would be wrong to stay home if you could get to the Mass. I happen to know that Crofterlady is nowhere near any Traditional Mass.

November 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm
      • Christina

Glancing through what bloggers have been up to recently I am surprised at the given definition of a ‘dry Mass’ and beg to differ. A DRY MASS as understood in the ‘olden days’ was a ‘Mass’ said by a priest without the Consecration. It was thus used as a learning aid, for him to practice offering the Mass without the stress of actually doing so if he was not fully prepared, and as a teaching aid if he wished to demonstrate or explain how to offer Mass. It should currently have come into its own again as priests learn to celebrate the true Mass.

What is being described by bloggers was indeed done by Catholics unable to get to Mass in those days, for example the housebound, but they called it simple devotion, not a ‘dry Mass’.

November 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I am really bowled over by that survey form. I notice that the word “sin” is not used at all.

The format of this question goes on throughout the form:

“4. Question 1d: To what extent — and what aspects in particular — is this teaching actually known, accepted, rejected and/or criticized in areas outside the Church? What are the cultural factors which hinder the full reception of the Church’s teaching on the family? ”

I can’t make up my mind whether to respond to the questionnaire or not but to this one I would definitely say it’s not “cultural factors” which “hinder the full reception of the Church’s teaching on the family” but the lack of preaching about it. Where the Pope gets the idea that priests are obsessing over these issues, beats me. I haven’t heard a sermon on contraception or cohabitation or even same sex marriage in my almost entire lifetime. If they start preaching about these things and about sins and the need to confess, that would prevent the culture dominating Catholic lives.

Crofterlady,

You are lucky to be able to make that decision. It’s instilled in us that we are committing a mortal sin if we miss Mass on Sundays and Holydays, and that makes it hard to stay away and do what you’ve done. Don’t misunderstand – something in me knows you are not committing a sin at all. It is just terrible that we are in this position to begin with.

November 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    • crofterlady

Lily, it was the most terrible decision to make. I’m a cradle Catholic who used to attend daily Mass. My biggest fear is for my children whom I haven’t yet told of our decision. The moment of truth came for me 2 weeks ago when the parish priest repeated a statement of the Holy Father about sin i.e. God is in your life irrespective of the life you are living. I saw one of my daughters looking completely puzzled and I thought: Why should they have to listen to such rubbish? Their Faith is being undermined. We are out of here for good. And we are. But where to go? We do not have access to the TLM and never will as our bishop is an utter modernist. May God forgive him and the rest of them. As the Gospel says: “if you give scandal to one of these little ones….”

November 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • Eileenanne

Lily,

Youa re quite right always to attend Mass on Sunday even if it is not in your preferred form. Crofter Lady and others are, IMHO, on a sticky wicket by staying away.

November 4, 2013 at 6:11 pm
      • Petrus

Eileenanne,

Rubbish. Give this up. Every time you bring it up you make yourself look daft. I think going to a Mass concocted by a Freemason for the purpose of pleasing Protestants is a very big sticky wicket. However, you conveniently chose to ignore these facts. You, therefore, place your soul in danger.

November 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Was it ever proven that Bugnini was a Freemason?

November 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Eileenanne,

I really can’t improve on Petrus’s response, although he can be a bit of a cheeky blighter at times. On this occasion, however, he’s spot on.

The fact is, Eileenanne, we’ve known you now for a very long time and I believe there’s been quite a change in you – for the better. I only wish I could say the same about myself 🙂

What I mean is this: think back to your post on the Orthodoxy Vs Tradition thread, where you wrote about helping your grandson with his religious education. That was one very impressive post from you. You are definitely now within the category of well and truly “informed” Catholics. No question about it, Eileenanne. You will receive your certificate at the next Catholic Truth Awards Ceremony 🙂

I suspect that the Mass issue is probably, at an intelligent (for me!) guess, the final hurdle for you.

As Lily said, we’ve had it drummed into us that it’s a mortal sin to miss Mass on Sundays, so it takes quite a while for that light to switch on which allows us to fully realise that the Mass we were told not to miss under pain of mortal sin, has been changed, for the worst of reasons (to make it pleasing to Protestants) and that it now SO poses a danger to our souls that it cannot possibly be obligatory under pain of mortal sin.

Now, that doesn’t mean that every Catholic who attends the new Mass is headed for Hell. But it DOES mean that every Catholic who attends the new Mass is at increased RISK of heading for Hell, in my humble, theological and ecclesiological opinion – feel free to add any other ologies which spring to mind 🙂

To clarify and underline my point, I’ll ask you again the same question that I’m sure I’ve asked you before over the years: were your local butcher to assure you that the meat you are about to purchase for your family is probably safe to eat, that there’s a chance of only a little poison but not necessarily life threatening – would you still buy it? What was that – only if I were coming to dinner? Cheek!

Yet, taking risks with your faith is exactly what you do by attending the new Mass. Over time, our sense of Catholicity is diminished, which is why we now routinely meet Catholics who are pro this, that and the next thing, approving sins which at one time would have horrified them. And that’s why the new Mass cannot be imposed upon us. We are under no obligation to attend it.

But we really ought not to lose that Catholic impetus to attend Mass on Sundays, so get yourself to the SSPX chapel in Glasgow asap and thereafter, if you DO miss Mass, you’ll be absolutely correct to claim that deliberately and without good cause missing Mass on Sundays and Holydays is a mortal sin.

The Bugnini Mass, though? That puts before us a whole new perspective on what constitutes “mortal sin” …

November 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm
      • Eileenanne

I beg to differ and will impress on my grandson the need to attend mass EVERY Sunday unless it is impossible to do so.

November 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

And what will you say to Our Lord at your Judgement when he asks you why you were complicit in the destruction of the Mass and the Faith in your neck of the woods?

“I was being obedient” wont wash. What’s left?

November 5, 2013 at 5:18 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Was Marcel Lefebvre being ‘obedient’ when he ‘broke away’ in 1970? No, he was being true to Christ and His True Bride. You must do the same. If you can put up with Pentecostal hymns, Extraordinary Ministers, Lay Readers, Communion being handed out like sweets then good for you, but I’m concerned that your grandson’s faith may be diluted.

Would you attend an Orthodox Mass? After all they are valid. The NO is illegal. St Pius V imposed the penalty of anathema on anyone who attempted to change or replace it. Pope Paul V broke away, not Mgr. Lefebvre.

How far away from you is yoiur SSPX chapel? When you are educating your little grandson, use the Tridentine Catechism.

We are all praying for you.

November 9, 2013 at 7:06 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

For all those who want to attend the Traditional Mass but don’t have access to one I would definitely make a novena to the Sacred Heart. You should ask Him for what is completely impossible. Don’t ask for too little, ask for the best and the most graces. Why ask to be able to go to mass once a week, when you can ask to go everyday? If you haven’t made your First Fridays or First Saturdays and have nowhere to go to do them ask the Sacred Heart for this grace.
    If you have children have them pray with you. Ask the Sacred Heart to help your children to have a good Catholic education. (If they go to Catholic school they will get to go to Mass everyday!)
    Ask Him also for detachment towards persons, places, and things, towards personal likes and dislikes, so that nothing will stand in your way when He answers your prayers.

November 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm
  • John Shacklefree

End game in this context is another way of saying “End Time”. Sr. Lucia back in 1957 said it had already started and what we see today in the secular world is what we see in the prophesies of Our Lord particularly in his reference to Daniel Chapter 9 which mentions for example, the return of the Jews IN A TIME OF TROUBLE. That puts it firmly in our times. We also have today the warnings in the prophesy of St John in Revelation 18 about the stock market crashing terminally and we have the woman adorned with the sun (chapter 12) which was fulfilled at Fatima prior to the great red dragon. It would not be difficult to interpret the red dragon as communism. The signs of the times are coming true as we speak. That is why I decided to reserve forming any opinion about Francis and wait and see. The growing hatred of the world against the Jews and the blindness to Islamic terror is increasing the arrogance of Islam and suggests that WW3 might not be too long in coming. Another sign of the times,

For some years I have been thinking about the other prophesy of Jesus in Matthew 24 v5

‘So when you see the appalling abomination, of which the prophet Daniel spoke, set up in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then those in Judaea must escape to the mountain.

I think it very regrettable that one of the first actions of Francis was to give a cosy interview to a communist magazine. Then he tells us that proselytism is nonsense. This latest questionaire is another illustration that the leaders in the Church have lost their orthodoxy so is Francis the disastrous abomination?

November 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

John Shacklefree,

I keep being asked if Pope Francis is the anti-Christ or the forerunner to the anti-Christ. All I know is that he is the Pope and that he is wreaking havoc within the Church. That’s bad enough.

He is, as Bishop Fellay says, “a genuine modernist” who is making the already dreadful crisis in the Church “10,000 times worse”.

That means we need to take refuge wherever we can to protect our souls and the souls of our families. Staying in a parish because you like the priest or want to make changes gradually is to – literally – fiddle while Rome burns.

As St Athanasius said when he was (twice) excommunicated (he’s now a Doctor of the Church) “they have the buildings, we have the faith”.

That’s what we need to attend to now – keeping the Faith. Let them have the buildings (for now – their days are numbered) but we must send clear signals that enough is enough and stop supporting, whether passively or actively, the modernism how holding sway within the diocesan structures.

November 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

I think a good reason to attend the SSPX Masses is because the priests help you to stay focused on loving Our Lord first and foremost. Sometimes it’s possible to get too caught up in the fight, so much so that one can stumble and lose their way in bitterness. The most important thing is to love God and then fight because you love Him. The society does not rant about the bad things going on in the Church, the priests are not bitter.

November 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm
  • pewcatholic

So many words have been pouring out since Pope Francis took office. And now we have a long, long and difficult-to-understand questionnaire.

It makes me feel so tired.

However, I think the best response so far is at the Eccles and Bosco Blog, one of my favourites.

November 3, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Pew Catholic,

I had a quick look at your link and it’s hilarious in places. I laughed heartily at this:

“As you may know, the Bishop’s Conference is urging you to respond to a survey on divorce, same-sex marriage and contraception. I do urge you to take part in this – there are 666 easy-to-answer questions, and it should not take you more than about three weeks to finish it. With a new man in the Vatican, we naturally expect a total rewriting of Catholic teaching, and Pope Francis is anxious to be told what he should believe from now on. Perhaps he has already phoned up some of you to ask your advice?

Well, that’s all we have time for. Just a reminder that there will be a retiring collection in aid of ACTA, the organization that is attempting to bring the church back into the 1960s, where it truly belongs!” END.

Don’t be tired, get thee to an SSPX chapel – there’s one in Edinburgh and another in Glasgow – just Google. You know it makes sense. It’s all very well having a good old fashioned satirical laugh: we do that, too, at Catholic Truth as you know, but in the end, we’ve to think of our souls. Re-read Eccles and Bosco for some light relief and then read our blog article again… then Action Stations! Vote with your feet to send an unmistakeable signal to the hierarchy. And to safeguard your own soul. It is, as Bishop Fellay said recently (and I paraphrase) “genuine modernism ” that is being dished out in the Church today under our genuinely modernist pontiff.

Something else that Archbishop Lefebvre said that we should ALL take to heart: “if you wish to know the reason why I persist it is this: at the moment of my death, when Our Lord asks me, what did you do with your priestly grace, what did you do with your episcopal grace, I do not want to hear from His lips those terrible words: you helped destroy the Church along with the rest of them.”

As I said above, we are either part of the solution or part of the problem now. If we’re supporting the modernist infrastructure, we’re part of the problem.

So, get thee to an SSPX chapel – and in the meantime, many thanks for posting that comical blog link.

November 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm
  • Petrus

I couldn’t agree more. Although I think you’ve not really thought the last bit through. I wouldn’t waste my time waving to modernist parish priests and bishops!

I agree – Pope Francis is wreaking havoc. My blood ran blood when I saw him on the balcony on the night of his election.

November 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Petrus,

I should have added that any priest who wishes to wave a white hankie in response will be treated like a hero.

Speaking of which, just to underline how bad things are at the table where they sell the “Catholic” papers in parochial church porches these days, a gentleman approached me this morning after Mass to hand me a copy of a magazine called Faith Today which he’d picked up either in a church or in the Catholic bookshop (I’ll need to double check with him to get that particular fact right) – the magazine is published by http://www.alivepublshing.co.uk

Our reader pointed me to the top article listed on the cover, entitled “My Hero, Peter Tatchell”

For those of you reading this on Mars, Peter Tatchell is THE leading “gay rights” activist, now packaging himself as a “human rights activist” (now that his mission to have homosexuality normalised to the point of being almost mandatory has been spectacularly accomplished.)

So, believe me, I exaggerate not when I say – if you want your children and your grandchildren to have and to hold the Catholic Faith as it has been passed down to us from the apostles, remove them from the whole novus ordo/modernist parish structure because even if Faith Today is being sold in the Catholic bookshop, it’s only a matter of time before it reaches parishes.

Oh and if Pope Francis happens to ring any of you, please point him to this thread. Having him read this discussion would just make my day.

Your blood ran cold when you saw Pope Francis on the balcony after the conclave, Petrus? I couldn’t say the same thing, I’m afraid – I only came round a week later… I jest, of course, but there was certainly a sense of foreboding, the same sense of foreboding every time I receive a news alert about the Pope.

November 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    • catholicconvert1

My blood ran cold too. As soon as he came out without the mozzetta on, then put it on and then took it off, I thought something is definitely wrong here. Now my fears, and yours, have come to fruition. Just keeping praying.

Oremus.

November 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm
  • Vianney

Every time I see and hear pope Francis I hear myself saying “come back Benedict, all is forgiven.”

November 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Vianney,

This week’s (Terrible) Tablet carries a report from their Vatican correspondent, claiming that there are rumours circulating to the effect that Pope Benedict XVI is none too happy at the moment – will put it no stronger than that. However, having (incredibly) committed himself to “unconditional obedience” to Pope Francis, there’s not a lot he can do or say, is there? Imagine a former Pope not knowing that no Catholic could or should promise “unconditional obedience” to anyone, including any pope, past, present or to come.

November 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm
      • Vianney

“I know I’ve said this before but don’t stop me, I want to hear it again: you truly couldn’t make this stuff up…”

Aye, Dan Brown doesn’t have a look in!

November 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm
  • Leo

Your quotation from Archbishop Lefebvre makes the vital point very eloquently (post of 7.26pm). Those words along with the scandalous survey (or modernist “focus group” soundings) under discussion here, brings to mind another response to “information gathering” conducted by Rome, namely the remarkably perceptive and prescient letter of 20 December 1966 from the Archbishop to Cardinal Ottaviani, Prefect of the Holy Office. Forty seven years later, as the dwindling number of faithful Catholics wander around, confused and disorientated, in the modernist desert, that letter remains just as powerful. Maybe someday, through the intercession of Our Mother in Heaven, it will be acted on. Here are a few lines:

“The seat of the evil lies chiefly in a literature which sows confusion in the mind by descriptions which are ambiguous and equivocal, but under the cloak of which one discovers a new religion.”

“… I venture to say that the present evil appears to be much more serious than the denial or calling in question of some truth of our faith. In these times it shows itself in an extreme confusion of ideas, in the breaking up of the Church’s institutions, religious foundations, seminaries, Catholic schools – in short, of what has been the permanent support of the Church. It is nothing less than the logical continuation of the heresies and errors which have been undermining the Church in recent centuries, especially since the Liberalism of the last century which has striven at all costs to reconcile the Church with the ideas that led to the French Revolution.”

“Now this preparation” (by the preliminary commissions) “was odiously rejected in order to make way for the gravest tragedy the Church has ever suffered. We have lived to see the marriage of the Catholic Church with Liberal ideas. It would be to deny the evidence, to be wilfully blind, not to state courageously that the Council has allowed those who profess the errors and tendencies condemned by the Popes named above” (Pius IX, Leo XIII, Saint Pius X, Pius XI, Pius XII), “ legitimately to believe that their doctrines were approved and sanctioned.”

“…we can and we must unfortunately state that:
    In a more or less general way, when the Council has introduced innovations, it has unsettled the certainty of truths taught by the authentic Magisterium of the Church as unquestionably belonging to the treasure of Tradition.”

“Doubts on the necessity of the Catholic Church as the only true religion, the sole source of salvation, emanating from the declarations on ecumenism and religious liberty, are destroying the authority of the Church’s Magisterium. In fact, Rome is longer the unique and necessary Magistra Veritatis.”

“Thus, driven to this by the facts, we are forced to conclude that the Council has encouraged, in an inconceivable manner, the spreading of Liberal errors. Faith, morals and ecclesiastical discipline are shaken to their foundations, fulfilling the predictions of all the Popes.”

“The destruction of the Church is advancing at a rapid pace. By giving an exaggerated authority to the episcopal conferences, the Sovereign Pontiff has rendered himself powerless. What painful lessons in one single year! Yet the Successor of Peter and he alone can save the Church.”

Here’s a link to the entire letter:

Does anyone here seriously think that after five decades of unprecedented apostasy, similar words would meet with a more attentive response? That’s the, humanly speaking, almost overwhelming crisis the Church faces. Standing and looking on from afar while the Society does the hard fighting is not an option any longer.

Our Lady of Fatima, ora pro nobis.

November 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Well said, Leo. And I echo your closing words. So called “conservative” Catholics point to Summorum Pontificum and other Vatican “concessions” as evidence that things are, at least, not all bad, if not all that good. They ignore the fact that without the Society there would have been no such “concessions” -which is why the “liberals” detest it. It’s why bishops would sooner sell a redundant church building to Muslims to use as a mosque than sell to the SSPX.

So, exactly right: time for everyone who alleges love of and concern for the Catholic Faith as this crisis worsens by the nano-second, to shake off the diocesan dust, and support the Society.

November 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm
      • catholicconvert1

I don’t understand the last part of your first paragraph. If a Church closes, it generally happens because of dwindling numbers of Parishioners and/ or an aged Priest. Are you therefore saying that if a Church was turned over to the SSPX, the lapsed faithful would come flocking back? I can’t see that, although where the SSPX has a large congregations, its members do not lapse and have large families.

Tell me, Ed, as a rough estimate, how many people attend your SSPX Mass in Glasgow?

As for selling a Church to a Mosque, I would be happier seeing the Church get burnt down, to be honest.

November 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  • Extra omnes

We have yet another wonderful pope. Thank God for him, pray for him and long may he serve us as bishop of rome.

November 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Extra Omnes,

Yes, not half – a truly wonderful pope. How many previous popes have had pro-abortion feminists publish a poster thanking them for reprimanding pro-lifers for “obsessing” about the murder of unborn babies? And we’ve never had a pope who described homosexuals as “gays” and more or less gave them his blessing. As you say, a wonderful pope.

I wouldn’t lump him with the others, though, not “another” wonderful pope. This one, believe me, is in a league of his own. Didn’t take them long to nominate Pope John Paul II for canonisation after his death; Pope Francis has more or less been canonised already. Yes, a league of his own, is Pope Francis in. Or should that be, “yes, in a league of his own is Pope Francis”…. One must get one’s grammar correct, just in case one receives a telephone call from one’s pontiff. One never knows, does one? 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 12:01 am
    • catholicconvert1

Thank God, I’m glad thats sarcasm. Maybe the Pope should ‘extra omnes’. We want a refund as the first purchase was irrevocably damaged. The Vatican is like Argos in the New Year.

November 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm
  • hamishpeterson

This is all very interesting for a non catholic. Since exchanging views with Athanasius I have looked into matters regarding the catholic church. By the way, where are you Athanasius? You seem to have disappeared and more’s the pity. There is definitely a thread here regarding the last times, the Book of Revelation and the prophet Daniel. The catholic church does seem to have an authority and it is a pity that your new pope is muddying the waters. Anyway, I will continue to explore.

November 3, 2013 at 11:25 pm
  • Theresa Rose

Well said Leo, I could not have put it so eloquently.

November 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm
  • McDuff

Haven’t been on here to post in a while. I was just talking to one of my friends who is an atheist, and somewhat of an anarchist, and he was praising Pope Francis up and down, saying he doesn’t believe what he stands for, but he believes in the Pope. This made me want to learn a little more about what’s going on with all this, so I came here 🙂
    Thank you Editor, you’re blog is always my favorite source of information for everything and anything going on in the Church!!!

November 4, 2013 at 12:13 am

McDuff,

Great to hear from you again and thank you for your generous vote of confidence.

The fact that Pope Francis has fans who are entrenched pro-abortionists, “gays”, atheists and anarchists, tells us all we need to know about him.

It’s easy to see why he would appeal to these people after telling them that he isn’t seeking their conversion. It’s like your bank manager telling you not to bother paying off your overdraft. Obviously he wouldn’t be a good bank manager but WOW would he be popular with the punters!

November 4, 2013 at 9:43 am
      • catholicconvert1

To be honest Ed, I think I know the reason why the Pope may be so popular with these Satanic groups. He must be pro-Abortion, gay, Atheist and Anarchist. After all, he did say that he did not worship a ‘Catholic God’. Er well, who does he worship? Ganesh? He sounds like Robespierre and the Cult of the Supreme Being.

November 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm
  • Graeme Taylor

Thank you Catholic Truth, for posting this information. I answered all the questions, which started out so hopefully and then it clearly became obvious that satan was behind the writers of many of the questions.
    God bless you in all your work.

November 4, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thank you for your encouragement, Graeme Taylor. Much appreciated.

Satan is certainly behind this initiative, as he is responsible for the “diabolical disorientation” generally in the Church – a disorientation prophesied at Fatima.

November 4, 2013 at 9:28 am
  • John Shacklefree

Isaiah Chapter 2 says:
    In the last days, at the end of time, the mountain of the house of the Lord will be prepared high above all mountains. It will be raised above the hills and all nations will come to it. And many peoples will come there and say “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob. Isaiah says many people will come there and beat their swords into ploughshares – imagine the effect on the world when muslims give up the religion of death and embrace the way, the truth and the life. Pope Benedict has written that the mountain of the Lord is the Church of Christ so as we go through the tribulation and confusion engendered by those supposed to lead us let us remember the glorious resurrection of Jesus 2000 years ago and the glorious resurredction of his One, True, Catholic and Apostolic Church at his second coming. We have not lost hope.

November 4, 2013 at 4:49 am
  • Vianney

The SSPX chapel in the Italian town of Rimini does a live web cast of their main Mass on Sunday so you could always watch that. I know it’s not the same as being at physically at Mass but it’s a good alternative for those who are too far from a traditional chapel. Unless you speak Italian you won’t understand the sermon but then some of us don’t understand the sermon when it’s in English, lol.

Regarding a broadcast Mass, I remember reading that the Catholics on the Isles of Scilly only got Mass when there was a priest on holiday in the islands. On other Sundays they would gather in the church and listen to Mass broadcast on Irish radio.

November 4, 2013 at 10:27 am
  • Extra omnes

Did the apostles celebrate the eucharist in the form that you all seem to love so dearly?

November 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Yes. However, this thread is not about how the Mass came to be in the form of which you speak. There is a General Discussion thread if you can’t find out that information anywhere else, but we try to stick to the topic under discussion on this blog, for a number of reasons that should be obvious to all and sundry. If the reasons are not obvious, then this one will do – it’s a rule here that we stick to the topic. Check our About Us section above and then participate in the topic or wait until we post a thread about the Mass. Please and thank you!

November 4, 2013 at 11:53 am
      • Extra omnes

I will answer here as I will make no further contribution. The correct answer to my question is NO: Latin took over in the fourth century,ergo your wonderful latin mass is, yes, a long-standing tradition, but not Tradition that cannot change. Come back to the real Church of Christ, under the authority of Pope Francis. Bless you all!

November 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Goodbye! Take care!

November 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm
      • chasdom

Here Here Extra Omnes, The supposed catholic truth group are and always have been a group of dissenting middle aged, mostly unhappy bunch who do not know the Lord Jesus Christ or the power of the Holy Spirit in their lives. No amount of discussion will move them forward. Shake the dust from Your feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Editor: like you’ve done, you mean? I am beginning to feel like an echo, but here goes once again…

GOODBYE 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Chasdom,

We’re not all middle aged. I’m 19 and the Editor is 21. So….go figure.

November 5, 2013 at 2:59 pm
      • chasdom

Yes and your immaturity, lack of charity and silliness shows through time and again. Bless, I’m sure your heart is in the right place, albeit looking in the wrong direction.

November 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm
      • catholicconvert1

So, you’re saying the SSPX is the wrong direction? As for me being, in your eyes, ‘immature’, How am I immature when I worship in a language that is far holier and spiritual than English. I worship with a language destined to rule, you worship with a language destined to serve.

You are the silly one. I hope you’re happy singing childish hymns such as ‘Shine Jesus Shine’ at your NO Parish.

November 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm
      • chardom

Editor as they say in
        France ‘
        Tout a L’heure

November 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Tradition cannot and must not change. What planet are you on? I take it you attend the Novus Ordo, well, I’m you’ve got a thick enough skin to put up with ‘the on the spot fabrication’ (so be it…)

Editor: your final sentence has been removed – outrageous, Catholic Convert. You must avoid all such nasty personal attacks. They are NEVER justified. I’m really busy finishing the December edition (or, more accurately, trying to get it started) so I don’t want to have to moderate your posts as they could languish in the queue for a while. Please respect our simple and very basic courtesies, otherwise I’ll have to moderate your comments.

November 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Why was it outrageous? I was not nasty. If I was nasty, I would have remembered, and I don’t quite recall what I said. Refresh my memory.

November 5, 2013 at 8:11 pm

If I called you a Satanist, would you think I was being a tad nasty?

November 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm
      • catholicconvert1

No, because I know that I’m not a Satanist. Sticks and stones, luv’.

November 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Something is concerning me about this ‘quiz’. What if 60% of Catholics across the world vote in favour of gay ‘marriage’ or abortion etc. Would the Pope allow it? Obviously he can’t because the Church is without error or fault in its teachings. The Pope can’t contradict tradition (in this case clerical celibacy) nor scripture, the teaching about marriage, for example. Francis is 100% worse than Paul VI who was mixed up by any stretch of the imagination. I admire Paul though, because he showed extraordinary courage by issuing ‘Humanae Vitae’ in 1968. If Pope ‘Frannie the Humble’ decides to accede to people’s wishes, I will NOT join the Catholic Church until I find an SSPX Priest.

November 4, 2013 at 11:23 am

N O T I C E . . .

On the General Discussion thread, dated today at 9.45.am., Awkward Customer has posted a video clip apparently of the Archangel Michael (painting of him) crying and she asks for our opinions. So, please take a look and comment on that thread.

Thank you.

November 4, 2013 at 11:51 am
  • Leo

“Unless the Lord build the House, they labour in vain that build it” – Psalm 126:1

“This you (the bishops of the world) will do perfectly if you watch over yourselves and your doctrine, as your office makes it your duty, repeating incessantly to yourselves that every novelty attempts to undermine the Universal Church and that, according to the warning of the holy Pope Agatho, “nothing that has been regularly defined can bear diminution, or change, or addition, and repels every alteration of sense, or even words.” – Pope Gregory XVI, Mirari vos 15 August 1832

Questionnaires such as the one under discussion here are just one more manifestation of the Conciliar kenosis (self-destruction) that is at the heart of the progressivists’ modernist programme. And still there are people who will talk about a “New Springtime”.

I presume this nod to populism forms part of some “Democratization” or “Power to the People” agenda, or a continuation of the Church’s “October Revolution”, to use the very revealing phrase of Father, later Cardinal, Yves Congar. Is it far-fetched to suspect the prospect of theologically illiterate diocesan or parish soviets pontificating on dogma at some stage in the future?

What struck me on a quick read of the questionnaire, apart from the all too predictable pandering, was the repeated reference to “local churches”. What’s all that about? Incitement to schism? Whose “in communion” with whom here? And is all this not modernist linguistic sleight of hand, leading inevitably to the undermining of belief in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and the primacy of the See of Peter? Christ has only one Bride.

In his 1907 condemnation of Modernism, in Pascendi Dominici Gregis, Pope Saint Pius X identified the following as part of the strategy of the revolutionaries:

“The chief stimulus of the evolution of worship consists in the need of accommodation to the manners and customs of peoples, as well as the need of availing itself of the value which certain acts have acquired by usage. Finally, evolution in the Church itself is fed by the need of adapting itself to historical conditions and of harmonizing itself with existing forms of society.”

The sacred duties of Bishops, the successors of the Apostles include those of leading, teaching and sanctifying the faithful, not conducting questionnaires and sounding out public opinion. The magnificent example of episcopal devotion to duty and zeal for the salvation of souls given to us by Saint Charles Borromeo, whose feast we celebrated today, didn’t involve compiling questionnaires.

We can talk about the details of crisis in particular dioceses, but the grim reality is that the destructive effects of the modernist revolution are truly universal. I challenge anyone to name a single diocese, anywhere, that has not been infected by the Conciliar madness. Come to think of it, can anyone think of an extended family that hasn’t experienced apostasy?

What we are living through is the reverse of the parable of the mustard seed. Modernist defoliant has brought dessication and spiritual death everywhere. And now we are supposed to believe that questionnaires are to be part of the solution.

Rather than leading, teaching and sanctifying, it appears as though a huge number of bishops have left in the helicopters from the embassy roof quite some time ago. Some, I suspect, are guiding the enemy tanks that are rumbling through the streets of what was once Christendom. And so the battle will be left to all those “restorationist”, “triumphalist”, Rosary counting Catholics who seek “doctrinal security”, who cling to the Faith of our Fathers, the Faith believed everywhere, always, and by everyone. So be it.

“The Church has not just recently been given order and statutes. They were faithfully and soundly bestowed on it by the Fathers. Nor has the faith only just been established, but it has come to us from the Lord through His disciples. May what has been preserved in the Churches from the beginning to the present day not be abandoned in our time; may what has been entrusted into our keeping not be embezzled by us. Brethren, as custodians of God’s mysteries, let yourselves be roused into action on seeing all this despoiled by others.”
    -Saint Athanasius, Migne, Patrologia Graeca, XXVII, col. 219.

What this questionnaire brings to my mind is the Conciliar “Cult of Man”. How often are Catholics nowadays subjected to vacuous, fluffy, new agey sounding talk about journeying together, encountering, sharing our experiences and gifts, building up community, along with some sort of civilisation of love and secular peace and justice; just about anything except building the City of God.

Who else but Liberals or Modernists could Pope Pius IX have had in mind when he wrote the following in his 1846 encyclical, Qui pluribus:

“It is by as great a fraud…that these enemies of divine revelation, who bestow the highest praises on human progress, wish, with a truly reckless and sacrilegious audacity, to bring it [the progressivist error] into the Catholic religion, as if religion was not the work of God, but that of men, or was some philosophic discovery that human methods could perfect.”

With every heretical nut in the forest appearing to have got a renewed lease of life, avoiding Modernist Mind Rot is going to require constant vigilance.

“Henceforth the enemy of the Church is no longer outside the Church; he is now within”. – Pope St. Pius X, Encyclical E Supremi Apostolatus, October 4, 1903

We are undoubtedly living true momentous days. As has been repeatedly pointed out here the dwindling band of Catholics who want to know, love and serve God rather than themselves are going to be faced with very grave questions. It is now very evident that for the good of souls, in charity and truth, with Christian respect and without personal bitterness, the ever more desperate Party Line platform of the neocon defenders of the indefensible is going to have to be called out, taken down, dismantled, shredded, pulverised and swept away.

Finally, if anyone really, really can’t resist filling in one of these questionnaires, here’s an idea for one of the suggestion or comments boxes:

“When a document is clearly ambiguous or contradictory one must condemn the heretical statements as they appear, despite what contradictions and ambiguities they are camouflaged in…those who let heresies slip by because they are veiled in wilful ambiguity cannot be excused and allow the faithful to be led ‘by subtle errors to their eternal damnation.’ – Pope Pius VI, Auctorem Fidei, 28 August 1794.

November 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Leo,

WOW! Another superb post, for which sincere thanks. Given your day-job workload, you deserve the utmost praise and a six figure pay cheque. Consider this WOW! the utmost praise 🙂

Spoilt for choice from the terrific quotes you selected to post above, this one is my favourite in the context of the current discussion (I do wonder if you meant to write “If any Catholic is inclined NOT to opt out…” but it makes sense either way):

“If any Catholic is inclined to opt out of the battle against the Modernist Revolution in the Church, let them consider the words of Pope Felix III, who affirmed that “to not resist error is to approve it, to not defend truth is to suffocate it . . . Whoever fails to oppose a manifest prevarication, can be considered a secret accomplice” (cited by Pope Leo XIII in his letter to the Italian bishops, Aug. 12, 1892).

How any truly informed Catholic could read that (and the other) quotes in your latest excellent post and still toddle along to their local novus ordo, leaves me utterly perplexed. They are prepared to stand accused by Our Lord of complicity in the current crisis of Faith; they are willing to risk hearing those words fall from His lips that so moved Archbishop Lefebvre to stand up and be counted, in his defence of the Faith: “What have you done with the graces I gave you? … “You have helped destroy the Church along with the rest of them.”

November 5, 2013 at 12:18 am
    • 3littleshepherds

Leo,
      Great post!

November 5, 2013 at 2:03 am

Leo,

Whenever I read any quotes from Pope St Pius X, I think of one quote: ‘Modernists should not be treated with wine, oil and caresses, they should be beaten with fists, for in a duel, you do not count the blows, but you strike as you can’.

Right then fellas, whose game for a punch up?

November 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm