Pope Francis Latest…

Pope Francis Latest...

This is hard work. How am I going to move the Church forward into full blown Modernism with all these traditionalist-leaning Catholics causing such a fuss every time I speak?

We decided to launch a “Pope Francis Latest” thread since there is just so much to discuss almost every time he speaks or writes. We are not being unkind. It is not a case of the pontiff not being media savvy and making unwitting gaffes. No. It’s clear that he knows what he is saying and he means what he says.

Feel free to post updates on this thread. From time to time we will post a particular topic thread but for most of the time, this thread will be home to your thoughts about the utterances and writings of the pontiff, whether good or not so good, heart-warming or heresy.

Click on the photo to read his first Apostolic Exhortation. There are no “off the cuff” remarks in there, made under pressure, but plenty of cause for serious concern.

Leo,

Thank your for those timely reminders about where the real followers of fashion are to be found – in the new Mass.

I must point the priest who, in recent weeks, tried to convince me that the new Mass is a direct translation of the old rite, to your latest comment on the subject. Dan Graham, whose article listing the differences between the two Masses is permanently on our website Mass page, and when we first published it, the response was amazing. Requests for extra copies came in from all over the place, readers were photocopying the article and distributing it far and wide. It opened a lot of eyes of the folk in the “undecided” camp. Yet, this priest insisted that Dan is plain wrong. The quotes in your comment (a couple of which I actually cited at the time – the Reverends Bugnini and Gelineau to be precise) are unlikely to convince him. There are truly none so blind as those who will not see. It’s way beyond my way of thinking, I’m afraid, not to want to know the truth. To stick to a manifestly false belief when the truth is staring us in the face, just astonishes me.

Indeed, I have been discovering that there is a certain mindset abroad which firmly believes that the crisis in the Church is due to secularism in society. Nothing else. Delusional with a capital “D”.

February 18, 2014 at 12:35 am
  • Leo

“There are truly none so blind as those who will not see. It’s way beyond my way of thinking, I’m afraid, not to want to know the truth. To stick to a manifestly false belief when the truth is staring us in the face, just astonishes me.
    Indeed, I have been discovering that there is a certain mindset abroad which firmly believes that the crisis in the Church is due to secularism in society. Nothing else. Delusional with a capital ‘D’.”

I agree completely. Realistically, if a 360 degree view of the Conciliar scorched earth devastation and apostasy doesn’t impact on those of goodwill, nothing ever will. And this is not some academic discussion about prudential judgment. The salvation of billions of souls is the issue.

Whether it is pure badness in individuals, or pride and refusal to admit error, or apathy, or stunned incomprehension and denial of what the Invasion of the Modernists has wrought, judgement belongs to God. We have, however, long since passed the stage of overwhelming evidence when it comes to judging the fruits of the New Springtime. Considering that at this stage we are on to the third or fourth generation of imperilled souls, “delusional” is a rather charitable way of putting things.

I wonder did a memo go out briefing about blaming everything on “secularism”. I now the term “tsunami of secularism” has been deployed more than once, including by the soon to be Cardinal Mueller, of the CDF. The analogy of a “tsunami” seems a bit rich considering that under the novus ordo zeitgeist it was decided to organise an intoxicated barbecue on the beach to celebrate the Cult of Man and Aggiornamento.

Archbishop Lefebvre once remarked along the lines that if the Dutch opened all their coastal barriers, it wouldn’t exactly be reasonable to blame the North Sea on the ensuing deluge.

Opening the barriers or razing the bastions, it’s all the same.

All that apart, the notion of blaming surrounding secularism is completely unsustainable and discredited. The flock just followed the disorientated and disturbed clergy out into the desert. The Modernist poison was spreading openly amongst consecrated souls from the early sixties. If anyone cares to take issue with that particular fact, they might undertake to tell us exactly what they know about the Jesuits 31st General Congregation which commenced in early 1965, in advance of the final session of Vatican II. The effects of that particular front of the Revolution are with us today, in full universal view for the last eleven months.

I’m quite happy to call as a witness Father Stephen Somerville, who was mentioned on the “Every Priest a Pope…” thread in connection with the issue of translation.

It’s also worth mentioning that in 1979, the editor of the Universe, Christopher Monckton, who in recent years has done a great deal to discrediting the global warming scare mongerers, identified 400 errors in the ICEL translation of the New Mass. Nor were the errors down to carelessness. Quite the opposite.

“The errors display a common theme which reveals the intentions of the translators. That theme is the dilution or removal of allusions and references to those doctrines of the Mass which are specifically and peculiarly Catholic…The thoroughness and determination with which those teachings which distinguish Catholic beliefs from those of other Christians have been removed is demonstrated by many minor omissions which are often repeated.”- Faith Magazine, November 1979.

Do I have an opening bid for “my” bridge?

February 18, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Leo,

“By the way, Editor, if your clerical interlocutor who is convinced “that the new Mass is a direct translation of the old rite” were a layman, I’d be slightly tempted to pass on my contact details. There is a bridge over the river Liffey I’d like to sell.”

I am going to email that to my priest “interlocutor” asap. Hilarious!

I’m also delighted with this reference to my claim that those who blame secularism for the Church crisis are “delusional” – you wrote:

“…“delusional” is a rather charitable way of putting things.”

That’s the first time I’ve been accused of being charitable! How COULD you – just when I was enjoying my persecution complex 😀

February 18, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Leo,

As promised I did email the priest I mentioned in my post at 11.35.a.m. 18 February and he replied as follows:

What I actually said was only in the canon/ Eucharist prayer 1 is almost a direct translation or if being celebrated In old rite has a very close translation.

Since I don’t have that to hand, I have to take his word for it. So, game, set and match to Father. And guess who has egg on her face, yet again?

If that Bridge is still for sale, I’m ready to put in an offer 🙄

February 18, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  • Leo

As the issue of translation has come up, I might take the opportunity to post the following. The “Every Priest a Pope…” thread had closed by the time I had it polished off, so I might put it forward here, borrowing the phrase “here’s one I made earlier”.

As many here will know, Catholics owe an immense debt of gratitude to the late Michael Davies for his tireless scholarly endeavours in calling out the intoxicated Conciliar madness that has engulfed the Church. His book entitled, Pope Paul’s New Mass, is required reading for anyone wishing to inform themselves about the detailed and determined assault conducted against the Mass of the All Time, the Mass that was brought to these islands by Saints Augustine and Patrick.

The following quotations from this book, or rather forensic study, give some very informative and incontrovertible insights and background.

First off, the argument about pastoral necessity put forward by the liturgical Bolsheviks appears rather baseless in the light of these words which give the impression of pre-Conciliar calm and stability.

“In an editorial on page six of the Spring 1962 issue of the Catholic Truth, official journal of the Catholic Truth Society, its editor Fr Francis Ripley, made the following remarks:

‘We firmly believe that most priests in this country will have sighed with relief when they read the Apostolic Constitution Veterum Sapientia issued by the Pope on 22 February forbidding attempts to supplant Latin as the language of the Church.

‘…This is one of the revolutions that will not be made by a militant minority. For the past few years the vernacularists have been extraordinarily vocal in certain sections of the Catholic press. Even when the late Pope said that there are many and grave reasons for retaining Latin in the Mass, they did not cease to continue their agitation.

‘As I travelled round the country coming into contact with hundreds of priests from every diocese, I formed the impression that a generous estimate of the strength of the vernacularists amongst the clergy would not be more than one in ten. This authoritative document from the Holy Father demonstrates how superficial and misleading the arguments against the use of Latin are. We hope and pray that the corpse of vernacularism will not be disturbed.’ (p. 90)

“Writing in the Universe of 28 March 1969, Douglas Woodruff summarised the attitude of the faithful to the liturgy: ‘To judge by the The Universe editor’s mailbag, the great majority of the readers of The Universe have felt no need for liturgical experiments, and were deeply happy in the Church as She was up to three or four years ago.’”(p.91)

The future liturgical commissars appeared to harbour totalitarian inclinations from the very beginning.

“The truth is that not the least account was ever taken of whether or not the laity wanted change. Clerical bureaucrats had evolved a theory of what the liturgy ought to be like and this was what it was going to be like, even if it emptied the churches. Dom Gregory Murray typified the attitude of these bureaucrats perfectly when he wrote in The Tablet: ‘The plea that the laity as a body do not want liturgical change, whether in rite or in language, is, I submit, quite beside the point.’ He insisted that it is ‘not a question of what people want; it is a question of what is good for them.’” (p.91)

The following words give an unsurprisingly memorable summary of the descent of the wolves on the peaceful and unsuspecting Catholic flock.

“Writing in 1964, Evelyn Waugh commented on the fact that proponents of the changes then being imposed had been ‘with us in parts of the United States and northern Europe for a generation. We had looked upon them as harmless cranks who were attempting to devise a charade of second-century habits. We had confidence in the abiding Romanita of our Church. Suddenly we find the cranks in authority.’” (p.89)

The testimony of one bishop, whom I quoted in a previous post, represents a not so early warning of the unprecedented destruction being unleashed.

“Archbishop R. J Dwyer” (of Portland, Oregon) “accepted, with the benefit of hindsight, that the great mistake of the Council Father was ‘to allow the implementation of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy to fall into the hands of men who were either unscrupulous or incompetent. This is the so-called ‘Liturgical Establishment’, a Sacred Cow which acts more like a white elephant as it tramples the shards of a shattered liturgy with ponderous abandon.’” (The Tidings, 9 July 1971), (Davies, p. 651)

Writing in the National Catholic Register of 2 March 1975, Archbishop Dwyer described the ICEL translated New Mass as:

“The inept, puerile, semi-literate translation which has been foisted upon us by the ICEL – the International Committee for English in the Liturgy- a body of men possessed of all the worst characteristics of a self-perpetuating bureaucracy, which has done an immeasurable disservice to the entire English-speaking Catholic world. The work had been marked by an almost complete lack of literary sense, a crass insensitivity to the poetry of the language, and, even worse, by a most unscholarly freedom in the rendering of the texts, amounting, at times to actual misrepresentation.” (Davies, pp 666-667)

After 39 years, the occupation continues, with no end in sight.

February 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Leo,

I had been planning to close this thread at 400 comments (instead of 500) but am loathe to do so until someone has replied to your post – I only have time at the moment to say “superb” yet again but I don’t want folks to think I’m trying to curry favour in an effort to get preferential treatment in the matter of the Bridge sale, so I’ll say no more about that superb plus plus post with quotes destined for my favourites folder!

February 18, 2014 at 9:55 pm
      • greatpretender51

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the 1962 and 1969 Missals, from which, one would hope, one could compare the so-called “Eucharistic Prayer I” with the TLM:

Also, regarding Abp. Dwyer, he was also the author of the famous “Undelivered Letter of Archbishop Dwyer,” which is here:

One wonders, however, what this Abp. did to preserve and promote the TLM in his own diocese, Leo. Does Michael Davies specify that information?

February 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm
      • Leo

Great Pretender51

That’s a good question about Abp. Dwyer. Will have to do look that up.

February 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Great Pretender,

Thanks. I’ve emailed the Mass comparison link to the priest in question. I say “in question” – he spends most of his time questioning my sanity – see if I care 🙄

February 18, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Great Pretender,

The priest to whom I sent your link replied that it compares the old rite and the old New Mass (so to speak) not the New Translation. commissioned by Pope Benedict. Between the old rite and the new translation, he says, the difference is minimal.

February 19, 2014 at 10:10 am
      • Leo

Everyone should be mindful of the fact that the Ottaviani Intervention addressed the New Mass as it was said in Latin, before any liberal tampering with the language by means of translation.

And how about the Offertory in the New Mass, the Prayers at the foot of the Altar, the second Confiteor, the genuflections, the signs of the Cross, and all the other rubrics which underlined the dogma of Transubstantiation, the 83 percent of the variable prayers throughout the Mass which were ditched because they were not to the theological tastes of the liberal fabricators. What about all the readings which taught about the judgement of God, Hell, heresy, and the fate of heretics which were removed, despite a greatly enlarged three year cycle of readings?

That’s before we go near all the obvious and outrageous abuses that are defended as being legal.

I’ve no idea on this, but I wonder just how frequently the New New Canon (Eucharistic Prayer number 1) is actually said in Novus Ordo Masses. The liberals appear to have a visceral hatred towards it.

February 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm
      • Leo

I think I overshot the runway a bit in my previous post.

It’s only right and proper that I make a correction to the point I made about the readings concerning Hell being removed from the 3 year Lectionary of the New Mass. I believe the following examples of Our Lord’s “hard sayings” and the Four Last Things are included in the readings of the New Mass.

The Last Judgment in Mt 25: 31-46 – the Solemnity of Christ the King in Year A.

The warning about the Particular Judgment immediately after in the parable of ‘Dives’ and Lazarus in Luke 16: 19-31 – 26TH Sunday of Ordinary Time in Year C.

Other salutary warnings to Novus Ordo Sunday Mass goers include the following:

Mark 9: 42-48 – Year B, 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time.
        Matthew 7: 21-23, 26-27 – 9th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year A.
        Luke 13: 22-30 – the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C
        Matthew 8: 11-12 – 3rd Sunday after the Epiphany
        Matthew 13: 24-30 – 5th Sunday after Epiphany

Apologies if anyone has been misled.

February 19, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Leo,

Write out one hundred times, “I must not overshoot the runway in my previous posts…” 😀

But you have no need to apologise for this cracker:

“I wonder just how frequently the New New Canon (Eucharistic Prayer number 1) is actually said in Novus Ordo Masses. The liberals appear to have a visceral hatred towards it.”

Spot on. Even before the new translation, in my own novus ordo days, I lost count of the number of times I noticed that the “Catholic” Eucharistic Prayer was not selected…

February 19, 2014 at 7:24 pm
      • greatpretender51

But aren’t the translations really a red herring? Ask your priest correspondent to explain to you how a liturgy specifically designed to be inoffensive to, and acceptable to Protestants, could possibly be pleasing to Our Lord.

February 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm
      • greatpretender51

…and then ask him to explain how the Church intended to lead Protestants to the truth by denying, omitting and obscuring the truth…

February 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Great Pretender,

Absolutely the translations are a red herring. You are right.

I did actually say in response to Father that “this begs the question of why the Mass was changed at all, with the ensuing chaos” or words to that effect. To which HE replied that he agreed but “that is not the argument”.

Honestly, the things that try a gal’s patience…

February 19, 2014 at 7:27 pm
      • Leo

Any credit is due to the late Michael Davies. Catholics really need to read his books.

Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve sold the bridge…to a German bank.

I expect, though, to have more to sell in the future. They should appeal to neocons who believe that the New Springtime devastation was a temporary blip due to secularism and everything will be fine once the mysterious New Evangelisation gets rolling.

February 18, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Leo,

I’ll never forgive you for selling that bridge. How COULD you?

February 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm
    • Michaela

Leo,

That’s an eye-opener. How were the liberals able to give the impression that there was a call for a switch to the vernacular? It’s incredible. I must keep that information up my sleeve to spring next time I’m in a conversation about the changes in the Church.

February 18, 2014 at 10:19 pm
      • Leo

Michaela

I think there have been a great deal of truths hidden from the faithful by the liturgical bolsheviks over the last five decades.

Evelyn Waugh summed it up nicely.

February 18, 2014 at 10:40 pm
      • Josephine

Leo,

I find that it is the people who have no internet who are really most ignorant about what has been going on in the Church. They really haven’t a clue.

February 18, 2014 at 11:30 pm
      • Leo

Josephine

The ignorance is frightening all right. And the internet is undoubtedly a great source of knowledge.

It’s also worth noting that Catholics faithful to Tradition are the ones who are using the internet to best effect. The aging modernist hippies don’t appear to have any heirs to carry on their evil “apostolate”.

It used to be said that freedom was kept alive in second hand bookshops and by photocopiers. Well that can be updated to include the internet. Long may the freedom continue.

I still say you can’t beat having really good, tradition based books to hand. We’ll always need Carmel Books and the Angelus Press.

February 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm

The mass has gone from being a fashion to being a treasure in remarkably quick time:

“During the sermon, bishop Rifan told us about his last visit to the Holy Father and that the pope thinks that the Traditional Latin Mass is a treasure to the Church and that his only fear is that the Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form could be “instrumentalized”, and bishop Rifan answered His Holiness that he is doing everything that he could to ensure that this is not going to happen and to promote the Extraordinary Form as a treasure for the entire universal Church, to which he humbly belongs.”

I suspect +Rifans intervention is a response to smooth things over, after Francis’ latest reported “face palm” comments about the mass being a “fashion” which doesn’t need much attention.

It is good news that a Pontifical mass has been celebrated in Sao Paulo for the first time since

February 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

Sorry I didn’t finish my last sentence (!) I meant:

“…………since the introduction of the Novus Ordo”

And its interesting to see that Francis seems to view the latin mass as an ideological device; yet – it is modernist clergymen of his generation who are the real ideologues, he has things completely upside down.

Ideology and obstinance are surely the only things propping up “the spirit of Vatican II”, (the actual substance of the Council has either been exposed as naive 60s optimism, or simply ignored by those who reference the Council to justify their every action).

February 20, 2014 at 9:54 am
      • greatpretender51

[The Pope’s] only fear is that the Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form could be “instrumentalized”…is it your educated guess then, Gabriel, that the Pope means the TLM could be used as an ideological device? I myself have no idea what he meant by that word, was thinking perhaps he meant it could be reduced to a string quartet…

Funny, I doubt whether this Pope knows what he means either…oops, I just blocked myself from the Men Are Like Wine blog…obviously not a vintage year…

February 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Gabriel Syme,

I think it is a custom of this Pope to say whatever his audience wish to hear. Not, in other words, to be trusted.

February 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

Well, I’ve just been blocked from a blog – a first for me. Well, apart from Fr Z – I think I was once blocked from his site.

Every one of my several comments have also been deleted. How’s that for free speech?

Here’s the link to the article (about the SSPX) which I stumbled across recently when Googling for something which was so important that I can’t even remember what it was…. The discussion clearly has it’s threshold at the name of Pope Francis. I was accused by the blog-boss of “insulting Pope Francis” and when I went in briefly to ask for evidence, I got the message that I am now blocked. That’s one way of getting the last word, I suppose.

See what I mean? We always give warning(s) if we feel that bloggers are breaking our simple house rules. That’s not the norm. Would the many critics of Catholic Truth take note.

Anyway, I can scarcely keep up with this blog, so am I complaining? Yip!

February 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Does anyone know the Pope’s position on receiving Communion in the hand? In the meantime watch this video and the Satanic goings on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6v9F8gIZg&feature=em-share_video_user

God will punish that woman.

February 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Catholic Convert,

I’ve re-located that video over on the Losing the Faith thread where I think it is more appropriate. I suggest you check there for comments, but many thanks for alerting us to that shocking desecration.

PS I hope your concluding remark refers to the woman in the video and not me 🙄

February 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm

It’s getting worse by the minute – a reader has just emailed me this latest shocker from Pope Francis.

If anyone has a “smiley face” that shows utter horror, please tell us how to post it. Otherwise, “shock” will have to do… 😯

February 21, 2014 at 6:06 pm
    • catholicconvert1

I only managed to watch the first couple of minutes. I couldn’t take it. First its the Atheists, then its gays, then its Jews, then you don’t have to drag yourself to Mass. What next???

February 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm
    • Leo

“Nostalgia” obviously isn’t what it used to be.

No prizes for spotting that the Pope isn’t talking to “self-absorbed neo palagian restorationists”, who seek “an exaggerated doctrinal security” and “stubbornly try to recover a past that does not exist”.

“I saw many pastors cherishing dangerous ideas against the Church. . . . They built a large, singular, extravagant church which was to embrace all creeds with equal rights: Evangelicals, Catholics, and all denominations, a true communion of the unholy with one shepherd and one flock. There was to be a Pope, a salaried Pope, without possessions. All was made ready, many things finished; but, in place of an altar, were only abomination and desolation. Such was the new church to be, and it was for it that he had set fire to the old one; but God designed otherwise.”
      –from Life and Revelations of Anne Catherine Emmerich, Vol. 2, pp. 352-353

February 21, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Leo,

I think Anne Catherine Emmerich is obviously mistaken – can you imagine our “humble” pontiff, with his love of “simplicity” and “poverty” accepting a salary? She got that one wrong, big time 😀

Don’t ask me how I can still post smiley faces after that video – I think they call it “hysteria” 🙄

February 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  • greatpretender51

He is accepting a salary, Editor: the wages of sin.

February 21, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Great Pretender,

I stand corrected. Or, to be more precise, I sit (at my computer) corrected !

February 21, 2014 at 11:47 pm
  • Miles Immaculatae

I have just mastered Spanish Flea on the Yamaha keyboard.

Whilst playing it, it occurred to me that it was the perfect theme song for this Pontificate!

February 22, 2014 at 7:06 pm
    • greatpretender51

Miles,

I see your Spanish Flea and I raise you this one for a Pope Francis theme song:

February 23, 2014 at 1:07 am

Great Pretender & Miles Immaculatae,

I realise you are both having a bit of fun and no real insult to the papal office is intended.

However, there are readers of this blog who are just waiting to pounce on every perceived lack of respect blah blah, so while it’s easy to see the comic side of your videos, we need to be careful not to cross the fine line from fair (although biting) comment on issues, and personal remarks or jokes or… videos (!) which may be wrongly perceived as personally insulting either to the person of the pontiff or his office … of Bishop of Rome! See, I’m guilty of it too!

Let’s behave ourselves from now on 😀

February 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm
  • inquisitor234

Francis said: A faith that does not bear fruit in works is not faith”

“If anyone says that with the loss of grace through sin faith is also lost with it, or that the faith which remains is not a true faith, though it is not a living one, or that he who has faith without charity is not a Christian, let him be anathema.” (Council of Trent, Session VI, Canon 28)

February 23, 2014 at 12:43 am

Inquisitor,

Pope Francis is quoting the letter of St James – “Faith without works is dead.” There is nothing in the quote you posted from Trent to contradict this.

Trent teaches that though we sin and lack charity, we are still Christians (while there’s life there’s hope!)

However, if we do not act on our Faith, then obviously it will die. Do the majority of Catholics have strong Faith as evidenced by their strong opposition today to all that is going on in the world? Are the majority going along with the revolution in the Church or are they defending the authentic Catholic religion? OR should they reflect somewhat on that very telling question from the lips of Our Lord Himself: “When the Son of Man comes will He find any Faith on earth?”

I’ve read right through the Pope’s address which you linked and the only thing wrong with it is that he is yet again giving the impression that ” action” is limited to the temporal works of mercy. He doesn’t say that but his dismissive reference to “casuistry” without highlighting the importance of apologetics leaves that impression, in my view.

If there is anything from him anywhere which publicly exhorts Catholics to go out and spread the Catholic religion and to defend it against dissenters, please post it here. I’ll be delighted to read it. Not to say, amazed.

February 23, 2014 at 2:43 pm
  • Graeme Taylor

The Pope needs our prayers indeed. If the news reports are to be believed, the Vatican Bank is so corrupted, the Curia is so corrupted.
    What is the poor Pope to do?
    He moves into an hotel run by a scandal monger priest.
    Give your Vicar some courage Almighty God and guide him in the Truth, save us from his “humility”. Amen.

February 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Graeme Taylor,

The Pope sure does need our prayers. Like no other pope has ever needed prayers!

N O T I C E…

I’m wondering about the value of this thread. My own inclination is to close it down and allow the General Discussion thread to suffice. Then, when there’s a need to report some specific news about Pope Francis, we can launch a topic thread on that subject.

All opinions welcome. Vote either YES (close it down, we can use the General Discussion thread) OR NO (keep the Pope Francis Latest thread)

Over to thee 😀

February 26, 2014 at 10:33 pm

February 26, 2014 at 11:19 pm
  • Josephine

February 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm
  • Fidelis

February 26, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Thanks to those who have expressed a view so far – looks like I’ll be closing this thread later today unless there’s a sudden change of direction!

February 27, 2014 at 10:09 am
  • Nicky

February 27, 2014 at 11:34 am
  • catholicconvert1 February 27, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Catholic Convert,

That is old news, so I think you’ve just confirmed for us, that the inclination to close this thread is the right one.

Thanks to all those who voted – since there are no “no” votes, I’ll go ahead and close this thread now. It has served its purpose.

It was launched at a time when we could scarcely keep up with the Pope’s public off the cuff statements and we decided that, rather than follow the lead of other blogs and keep launching new topic threads with “Pope Francis” in the headline, we’d have a general Pope Francis Latest thread. We’re now at the stage where we kind of know what to expect (in a sense) and so we would head for the General Discussion thread, in the absence of a topic thread, to report anything of interest or concern.

A big “thank you” to everyone who contributed to this thread.

February 27, 2014 at 3:25 pm