Celebrating Christmas…

Celebrating Christmas…

This Christmas thread is to allow us firstly to reflect on the momentous event which changed the world forever – the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ: hence feel free to post your favourite prayer, hymn, story, poem of the season etc.

Secondly, this thread is to allow a breather from serious discussions, so some fun is in order: post Christmas jokes and stories – in the spirit of our ‘Good Clean Fun’ thread earlier this year – and we’ll promise to laugh, even if the jokes are of the Christmas cracker corny variety!

And, in anticipation of the stroke of midnight, allow me, on behalf of the Catholic Truth team, to wish all our bloggers and readers a very happy and holy Christmas, 2013.

• Edelweiss

A merry Christmas to everyone, sorry it’s not on the day itself!

December 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm
  • Petrus

A very Merry Christmas to all.

December 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Edelweiss & Petrus,

Christmas wishes returned with (Jingle) bells on 🙂

December 27, 2013 at 8:23 pm
  • bededog

Thank you for putting this blog together and for posting the carols – it has made my Christmas. Wishing you all a bright and peaceful New Year.

December 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Bededog,

Thank you – high praise indeed! A very happy new year to you, as well. We’ll probably have a fun thread to mark the New Year next week, so stick around!

December 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

I decided to be very honest with my children and to tell them that Santa Claus is not really an elf who lives at the North Pole. I told them he was St. Nicholas and that he lived in heaven. When I finished my eldest patted my arm and said, “That’s a good story. Now why doesn’t Santa Claus get stuck in our chimney?”
    I continued all the way up to Christmas and kept explaining about the real St. Nicholas. Finally they seemed to believe me but on Christmas morning they shouted, “St. Nick’s brought me presents! St. Nick’s been here!”
    St. Nick? I give up. We don’t even have a chimney!

December 27, 2013 at 11:03 pm

3LittleShepherds,

When I listened, this Christmas, to my little Great-Nephew, who steadfastly believes in Santa and his elves, I just cannot imagine being the one to break through that innocence. Reading the letter he penned to Santa (and which he asked me to post) brought a tear to my eye. No, not the glass one, the other one!

It’s not remotely “dishonest” to use the legend of Santa Claus to teach children about unconditional love and generosity. Of course it’s also good to tell them about St Nicholas – somehow we grew up with both but St Nicholas didn’t detract from the magical visitor with his reindeer stopping at our house to deliver the presents which we just knew for a fact our parents couldn’t possibly afford (as I told my smart alec friend whose older brother had told her the lie that there was no Santa!)

And don’t worry about “no chimney”: as my gorgeous little Great-Nephew says “Santa knows everything – he knows how to get into the houses with no chimneys” 🙂

Here’s a lovely editorial written on the subject in response to a letter from a child…

Enjoy!

December 27, 2013 at 11:53 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

It doesn’t matter. I made no impression at all. Although I did see the eldest go over to the nativity scene and thank Baby Jesus for their presents. So I guess that so long as they know where it all comes from the elf stuff is okay.

December 28, 2013 at 12:32 am