General Discussion (4)

General Discussion (4)

Image
General Discussion (3)

If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here

• greatpretender51

My mother was named after St. Philomena, but never thought she was a real saint. I was only too happy to disabuse her of that notion a couple of years before she passed…

March 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm
  • Christina

Leprechaun,

Re Jacinta. The beautiful church of SS Peter and Paul and St. Philomena in the diocese of Shrewsbury (which has a Catholic bishop, Bishop Mark Davies) is in the sole care of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. After Mass every Saturday morning the novena to St. Philomena is said by the congregation, and I have asked that Canon Montjean name Jacinta in the intercessions, asking St. Philomena to pray for the intention you ask for her. I will also ask Canon to offer a Mass for Jacinta, but he’s so inundated with Mass intentions that it will probably be some time yet before he can manage it.

March 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm
    • leprechaun

Christina,

Many thanks for your kindness. I am sure Jacinta will be very moved when Madame Editor is able to read it to her.

Would that St. Philomena will also be moved – to grant the miracle that Jacinta deserves.

Thank you, 3LittleShepherds for your assurances too, and Great Pretender – perhaps your mother could have a word with St. Philomena as well?

Thank you, Westminsterfly for your links and your own prayers.

God bless you all.

March 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thank you all for your posts & promise of prayers / Masses for Jacinta. I will be seeing her tomorrow afternoon and will read over your comments to her.

March 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm
    • Lionel (Paris)

Dear Editor,
      Thank you for your moving post!
      I shall join you all in your payer for Jacinta.
      Kind regards LD

March 16, 2014 at 10:27 pm
  • crofterlady

I too have joined in the prayer to Saint Philomena for Jacinta. May God bless her.

March 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Well, I visited Jacinta (Betty) today and she was thrilled when I told her about Leprechaun’s original post requesting prayers for her full recovery.

When I read out each comment, she looked very serious and listened intently. At the end, when I’d finished reading them all, she said: “WOW!” and “I can’t believe it”. “Wonderful.”

I asked if she wanted me to thank everyone…. “OH PLEASE!” she responded immediately and her husband also expressed deep gratitude.

Jacinta then pointed to a little shrine she has in her living room, with a few statues, candles etc. She pointed to a little statue which her mother RIP gave her some years ago – St Philomena !

She was truly touched and grateful for all your prayers, folks. And I think she is renewed in her hope for a miracle. Let’s keep up those prayers!

Thanks again Leprechaun for setting the ball rolling and to everyone who has kindly responded with promise of prayers. She reacted to each of your comments individually, seriously and shaking her head in astonishment at your charity.

March 17, 2014 at 7:35 pm
    • Lionel (Paris)

Parfait! I hope that she will recover…
      God bless you all and especially Jacinta! LD

March 17, 2014 at 10:41 pm
    • leprechaun

Update on the prayers for Jacinta

Thanks to WestminsterFly and the Universal Living Rosary Association I have been able to forward to Jacinta (a.k.a. Betty Martin) some blessed oil, and some cord which has been touched to the relics of St. Philomena, together with some prayer cards.

I have also spoken to Fr. McLoughlin from the Priory at Carluke who will be offering Mass at 09:45hrs at Saint Andrew’s Church, 202 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6TX on this the third Sunday of Lent. He has agreed to touch the oil and the cord to Betty’s forehead in a brief ceremony after the Mass, and for those of us who are too far away to be present, I thought we might each offer a prayer to St. Philomena at 11.00hrs GMT on that day and ask her to obtain a miracle cure for Betty.

Is it a coincidence that Fr. McLoughlin has a sister called Philomena?

Let us all pray for a miracle for Betty Martin.

God Bless.

March 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm
      • jobstears

Will certainly pray for that miracle for Jacinta by entrusting her to St. Philomena through the prayers of the Living Rosary Association. If one rosary is powerful, imagine what a million rosaries can do!

March 21, 2014 at 4:45 pm
      • leprechaun

Jobstears,

Thank you for supporting my humble attempt at Catholic Action on behalf of Betty.

Time has passed. The touching of the blessed oil and the cord to Betty have presumably been accomplished, hopefully with a recitation of the litany to St. Philomena, and now we must ask St. Philomena to share with us her fortitude for the acceptance of the will of God.

If Betty receives a miraculous cure at the hands of St. Philomena, I am sure she will be doing the highland fling as she makes her own unassisted way to Mass to offer thanksgiving, and if not then let us pray that Betty will feel the heat of our compassion for her and that she will draw strength from it.

March 23, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Leprechaun,

I was just about to email you to say “thank you” for organising this.

We had the little ceremony after Mass today. I’m afraid I didn’t get the opportunity to speak to Father before Mass so didn’t ask him to announce it. Still, there were a fair number of people who were present in the Church when Father emerged from the sacristy in surplice and bearing Holy Water and everything else necessary for the ceremony.

It was a lovely ceremony and Betty was very VERY moved by it.

Just before it began, while waiting for Father to return from the sacristy, Davy whispered to me “Is Leprechaun here?” I replied that Leprechaun lived too far away, in another land, so couldn’t be present. Davy looked amazed and said “he said he’d be here”. I had to be very naughty (we’re not encouraged to talk in church even in whispers!) and make one more reply to enlighten him: “I think he meant he’d be present in spirit”. He looked very disappointed!

Anyway, thank you very much indeed for going to the trouble of organising that very lovely ceremony, honouring St Philomena and giving great hope and peace to Betty & family.

God bless you.

March 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm
      • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

Thank you for this update on the plea to St. Philomena on behalf of Betty, and the news that Betty was very moved by it.

Thanks be to God and to St. Philomena, and to Fr. McLoughlin for his part.

I am sorry that Betty’s husband was disappointed by my absence but it would have entailed a round trip of 600 miles for me to get there. What I actually said in my letter to Betty was:

I will put a post on the CT blog asking those who cannot be present, which will include me of course, to offer up their own prayers to St. Philomena at 11.00am that day.

Note: “cannot be present” – but I did offer renewed prayers to St. Philomena at 11am, and I trust that I was not alone amongst the absent bloggers who want to see Betty able to leave her wheelchair and go about the duties of her station.

Now it is up to St. Philomena to work one of her wonders.

Incidentally, I have been told of an SSPX priest who was put in charge of an area where the school was in danger of closing due to finances. He made a promise to St. Philomena that if she helped the school out of its troubles, he would lead a local pilgrimage to her shrine in Mugnano in Italy. The school did climb out out its troubles. He did lead the pilgrimage, and he is now in the process of organising a world-wide based pilgrimage to the shrine of St. Philomena.

Another verified example of the work of St. Philomena.

March 24, 2014 at 9:39 am

Leprechaun,

I hope you didn’t take Davy’s disappointment at your absence as a criticism. I thought it would cheer you up to know he had wanted you there! He fully understood when we spoke later. He’s so busy all the time that he’d obviously forgotten what you’d written in your letter. All in all, it was a lovely occasion and we are all grateful to you for your charity in organising the event.

Wonderful story about the SSPX priest and the school.

March 24, 2014 at 9:52 am
  • Miles Immaculatae March 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm
  • greatpretender51 March 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
    • Josephine

Great Pretender,

That is amazing. I hope the Pope gets that petition and acts on it really soon.

March 23, 2014 at 8:25 am
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

By your leave I am trying to post a picture of St. Andrew’s Church on Renfrew Street in Glasgow for the assistance of strangers wanting to be with Jacinta after the 09:45 Mass this coming Sunday March 23rd:

I hope it works. If it does, I will explain to other bloggers how to do it.

March 21, 2014 at 4:58 pm
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

As you see, it did not work. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

March 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm
  • fryderykfranciszekchopin

If anyone has a Google+ account, here’s a page I made for Editor: https://plus.google.com/u/0/100045482991822406186/posts

The more followers it has, it looks more popular, and more people will find it which might bring new bloggers on! 🙂

March 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Chopin

Thank you SO much for going to that trouble to create a Google+ page. I see 5 circles (I presume that means “email circulation groups) are following it so that is just great.

Let’s hope lots of new followers sign up.

March 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

Regrding the embedding of images to blog threads:

WordPress operates a whitelist which determines which urls can be posted and which not.

As the SSPX is not on that whitelist the following link ought not to produce the intended image – but it might, so here goes:

Oh well – you win some and you lose some.

March 21, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Leprechaun, sorry that didn’t work. Thanks anyway for trying and for linking the photo of our little Glasgow SSPX chapel.

March 22, 2014 at 12:01 pm
    • greatpretender51

Lep,

Was trolling through the old posts here (at the risk of Editor calling me a troll) and came across your attempts to post images. Have you come across these instructions?

April 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm
  • catholicconvert1

I have a question regarding the traditional Mass, or the Mass of Paul VI. Firstly, could you tell me whether a Priest can say Mass without any lay people or Deacons/ Sub-Deacons present, and if not, does the Priest omit ‘Dominus Vobiscum’, ‘Sursum Corda’, and ‘Gratias agamus Domine Deo nostro’ and the relevant responses? This may seem a stupid and pointless question, but I’ve never attended a TLM.

March 22, 2014 at 9:06 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

If the priest is totally on his own he himself says the responses the server would usually make.

March 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm
    • greatpretender51

CC,

I don’t know where you live, but you should make every effort to find a TLM, ASAP. It will change your life, I guarantee it.

March 23, 2014 at 5:14 pm
    • leprechaun

CATHOLICCONVERT1,

If you want to obtain an insight into the rite for a Traditional Latin Mass, you could visit this link where by clicking on the thumbnails and the links to the Latin rubrics within them you will be able to follow the Mass from start to finish.

I am sure you will find it gives you a good starting point:

If you then click on the navigation button called “Chapels and Mass Times” on the same website and scroll down, you will see the locations of all the Chapels and Mass centres together with Mass times, and there might be one close enough for you to make a visit in person.

The Chapels usually have repositories from which you can buy a Missal without having to pay packing and postage charges, and there will be people on hand who may be able to answer any questions you may have.

Not wishing to be mischievous, but you might ask the priest about the preparatory course you are on leading to your reception into the Catholic Church, just to confirm that what you are being taught coincides with what the Church has been teaching for the past 2,000 years.

March 25, 2014 at 3:10 pm
      • Vianney

“The Chapels usually have repositories from which you can buy a Missal without having to pay packing and postage charges,”

The Edinburgh chapel has Mass books with a Mass sheet containing the Sunday propers available in the cry room for newcomers to use.

March 25, 2014 at 10:42 pm
      • catholicconvert1

‘Not wishing to be mischievous, but you might ask the priest about the preparatory course you are on leading to your reception into the Catholic Church, just to confirm that what you are being taught coincides with what the Church has been teaching for the past 2,000 years’.

You devil you 🙂 I can tell you that my Priest, generally speaking is faithful and pious, apart from the fact he isn’t keen on the TLM and he is all for the Ecumaniac movement, not to mention he believes Catholics, Jews and Muslims believe the same God. I know what I am about, and I inform Ed about certain puzzling things he has said at the RCIA.

As much as I would like to attend an SSPX Mass, I simply don’t have the time to get to the nearest (Preston) on a Sunday, nor the money. However, in a neighbouring town, a Diocesan Priest (v. orthodox) says a Low Mass on a Saturday evening. Neither does the FSSP or the ICKSP have a presence near me. I will endeavour to attend that. That being said, I would still attend the NO with my PP, as I am very loyal to my Priest, not to mention that my friends, and a family member who converted goes there.

March 26, 2014 at 8:08 pm
  • Steve

Talking of the old rite I see mgr basil is having another go in the catholic times. Since he hijacked Card Kasper’s presentation which was quickly discredited by Card Burke perhaps the straight jacket he refers would best be fitted to his corpus or should that be “boady” it is also,worthy of note that in the book of Daniel the writing on the wall ( which is where the phrase comes from incidentally ), with said hand is precisely a response to using temple gold,used for worship as a drinking cup.. Furthermore the ceremonial vestments used in worship were held by the roman authorities and only to,the high priests at the ceremonial festivals thus elevating the significance of the vestments. They were carefully secreted off to some closet after so as to protect the Romans from political insurrection. After the fall of the temple,one of the few things that survived were said vestments. Loftus’s disregard and dismissive tone cannot be accepted as accurate – certain, his occasional Latin verse suggests he grew up in the old rite but it would seem his memory is needing enlightened with his bible history. I’m thinking of sending him a life jacket with the words traditional mass safe landing

March 25, 2014 at 6:09 am

Steve,

Mgr Basil Loftus is getting worse each week. His column is increasingly vicious and always – no matter what the topic he is spouting, usually Communion for the divorced and remarried these days – he ALWAYS takes a swipe at the Traditional Latin Mass. He is a complete disgrace – but not quite as much of a disgrace as his negligent and hypocritical bishop, Hugh Gilbert of Aberdeen, who told two of our readers that if they sent him evidence of Loftus’s anti-Catholic writings he would be in a position to do something (that’s the implication of what he said). Yet, I had sent him a lengthy letter on his appointment to Aberdeen. packed with quotes from Loftus’s articles, asking him to exercise his authority to end these weekly assaults on the Faith in both the Catholic Times and the Scottish Catholic Observer. If one bishop can prevent a deacon from blogging in defence of the Faith, then another can act to prevent a priest writing columns attacking it. And if he doesn’t then we are justified in drawing the only conclusion possible – that he agrees with the dissenter. Now, there’s a surprise.

Loftus is, himself, a marathon hypocrite. Banging on about “dialogue” and involving the laity, yet writing to me to say “don’t send me any more of your material” when I once emailed the link to a blog discussion we ran (on our old blog). Very “tolerant” and “diversity” conscience when it suits him, as long as those on the receiving end of his alleged tolerance are public sinners and not Catholics now described as “traditional” where, at one time, ALL Catholics were “traditional” – there was no other kind of Catholic until protestant priests like him got to work.

March 25, 2014 at 10:32 am
  • catholicconvert1 March 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Would anyone recommend membership of Juventutem?

March 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm
    • Josephine

Catholic Convert,

I think Juventutem are OK but I wouldn’t recommend anything these days. I have a feeling that that group were very “pro Pope John Paul II”. I think if we attend Mass and pray our Rosary and do what little apostolic work we can, that’s all we should feel we have to do. Once you start mixing with people who are half hearted about some things, and have their own views about others, you put your own soul in danger.

March 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm
    • Josephine

Crofterlady,

That’s very encouraging. Thanks for posting that link.

March 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm
  • catholicconvert1

It seems the Pope, according to the reports in standing up to Obama, the most evil man of the age.

March 27, 2014 at 7:45 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

Prayer to St. Joseph Cupertino for a Good Life

O, glorious St. Joseph Cupertino, who in this life spoke constantly to the hearts of the faithful through heroic virtues and marvelous wonders worked by the hand of God, turn to us who implore your blessing. Arouse in our hearts some spark of that divine love which so inflamed your soul, so that we may desire nothing more than to please God all the days of our lives. And just as you were lifted up from the earth in ecstacy on hearing the sweet names of Jesus and Mary, pray that we, too, may detach ourselves from the things of earth, realize the vanity of the world, detest our sins and obtain pardon for them. Strengthen our faith, O good St. Joseph, revive our hope and inflame our love, so that we may have Jesus always in our minds and hearts, and after a good Christian death may merit to enjoy His glory with you in Paradise. Amen.

March 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Given my above question, and Josephine’s answer, can anybody recommend a Catholic society/ group that is worth joining today?

March 29, 2014 at 7:00 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

The Legion of Mary would be excellent, however presently, they are affected by the ecclesial crisis, so much so that to join them would entail all kinds of compromises and conflicts. There is at least one other former legionary here and she will be able to inform you of its problems. It is tragic. But the Legion will one day be a profound force for good when the crisis is over.

Juventutem in the UK are provided Masses by diocesan priests. The clerical leader in the UK is an FSSP priest. I am sure they are good, however their general view of things means they are not accommodating to the SSPX, since they are a mainstream group. When I was in contact with the clerical leader in Great Britain he was sympathetic to my position, and he was very courteous. There are no Juventutem chapters near where you live anyway. The only two in GB are London and Bristol. You will undoubtedly encounter opposition within these chapters if you support the SSPX.

The most important ‘group’ a Catholic benefits from is the Mass, because this is the supreme ‘community’ of the Communion of Saints. It is the only group that literally meets in heaven itself, because that is what the Church teaches Mass is, the literal heaven coming down to earth, heaven truly present in the sanctuary.

March 29, 2014 at 8:42 pm
      • jobstears

MI, at an FSSP parish I attended, the congregation was told that their Sunday obligation would not be fulfilled if they assisted at Mass offered by the SSPX. I got the distinct impression from the homily that the congregation was being led to believe that any association with the SSPX would somehow endanger their souls.

March 31, 2014 at 3:29 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Shocking.

The FSSP are to undergo an apostolic visitation. What if they are treated like the Franciscans of the Immaculate?

March 31, 2014 at 5:33 pm
      • jobstears

I have wondered about that too. Unlike the Franciscans, the FSSP do not say the NO Mass, so if the Vatican stopped them from offering the Real Mass, their congregations might, just might turn to the SSPX. I doubt Rome would risk that!

April 1, 2014 at 2:13 am
      • catholicconvert1

How could the Holy See suppress the FSSP, given that this Society, along with the ICKSP was founded in order to celebrate the TLM exclusively? I agree with Jobstears, the Holy See couldn’t stomach it if the SSPX gained more power or a greater following. The Pope might be daft, but he’s not that daft.

April 1, 2014 at 6:19 pm
      • Vianney

“Unlike the Franciscans, the FSSP do not say the NO Mass,”

I read somewhere that some FSSP priests do say the NO if the local bishop requires them to.

April 1, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I heard that Miles, what is the reason for this? Or is this something which occurs periodically anyway?

April 1, 2014 at 10:59 am

It is very irresponsible and mean-spirited of that particular FSSP priest to pass on such bogus information.

It has been clarified many times that an SSPX mass fulfills ones Sunday obligation.

I even had a priest of my Archdiocese affirm my SSPX attendance, saying that I was doing no wrong by attending Sunday mass there.

The anti-tradition, modernistic elements in the Church look increasingly stupid the longer they attempt to discredit the SSPX in their various underhand ways.

Who can possibly take their objections and issues with the SSPX seriously, while – at the same time – the modern Church panders to every heretic and infidel going?

It is absurd and this obvious incoherence is one of the main reasons the Church suffers from such a lack of credibility.

April 1, 2014 at 11:07 am

Gabriel Syme,

Well said – I even know of one diocesan priest who told someone who said he was thinking of attending the SSPX Masses on Sundays that that is where he SHOULD go. And he was not being sarcastic but deadly serious. The best of the clergy considered to be “orthodox” know the truth about the Society and have sufficient integrity not to lie about it, but, on the contrary, as with the above mentioned priest, encourage enquirers to attend.

April 1, 2014 at 11:12 am
      • catholicconvert1

Gabriel,

Was it not the Pope himself (BXVI) or Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos who stated it was ‘lawful’ to fulfil our Sunday obligations at SSPX Chapels. I love arguing with liberal kooks about this. A liberal friend said the SSPX ordinations are ‘valid but illicit’. I responded by saying, well, the Orthodox ordinations are ‘valid but illicit’ but we can’t attend their Masses, whereas we can attend SSPX Masses. Basic common sense therefore dictates that they are also ‘licit’, not least because of what the Holy See stated.

April 1, 2014 at 6:24 pm
      • Vianney

This could just be the priest at that church. Last year when in Amsterdam I paid a visit to the FSSP church there and the SSPX newsletter was available there. When I mentioned this to a Dutch friend he told me that the priest there was very sympathetic to the SSPX.

April 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm
    • greatpretender51

CC: If you are attending an SSPX chapel, you could become a Tertiary (i.e. Third Order member) in the Society:

(this is for the US District; here is the counterpart for the UK District: http://www.sspx.co.uk/page_movements.htm )

Please note that the Third Order is more of a discipline than a “group.”

March 29, 2014 at 11:11 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Regrettably, I am not, as I have said on numerous occasions, able to attend an SSPX Mass. I did have an offer from somebody on this blog to take me via car, but it would only be once a flood. I plan on attending a TLM said by a Diocesan Priest after my confirmation.

March 30, 2014 at 2:23 pm
  • Graeme Taylor

My parish priest has asked for 12 men and/or women to have their feet washed on Holy Thusday evening Mass.
    Are other priests in the Arch-diocese of St Andrew and Edinburgh asking woman to have their feet washed?

March 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Graeme,

I think you could safely bet money on it. And not just in the archdiocese of St Andrew & Edinburgh. Now that the Pope has given the dreadful example himself, the dissidents will be out in force this Holy Thursday.

March 29, 2014 at 11:53 pm
      • Vianney

Given the Pope’s first Holy Thursday Mass last year, there are probably notices on Mosque notice boards asking for volunteers.

March 30, 2014 at 8:38 am