Exclusive: Vatican Appoints Editor of Catholic Truth To Head Think Tank

Exclusive: Vatican Appoints Editor of Catholic Truth To Head Think Tank

Image

I’m truly astonished, and honoured, to tell you all that I’ve been appointed by the Vatican to head a think tank on the role of women in the Church.  I’m aware that there will be opposition from within the Church especially from radical feminists,  and I am genuinely surprised that I’ve been chosen for such an important task.  I’d appreciate your prayerful support at this time.  I wanted the Catholic Truth blogging community to be the first to know this news and I’d like to thank the Vatican officials who agreed to allow me to make the announcement here, in advance of the formal communique.  Obviously, I am unable to disclose much detail about my privileged new role, but I am interested to hear first hand from readers as to their thoughts about the role of women in the Church today.

• Dr John Dowden

Shame!, shame on you all, to even think this might be a joke.

Both the current (junior) bishop of Rome and the current (one and only) editor of CTS share exactly the same understanding of what is needed in a crisis.

One is reminded of a former bishop of Rome who was having a spot of bother with Henry VIII and hit upon the quite brilliant idea of appointing Dr Thomas Cranmer as Archbishop of Canterbury. The English Church has never looked back since and is now on the point of appointing her first women bishops.

What better solution could there be to the little local difficulties of the Catholic Church in Scotland than to appoint the editor of CTS to take upon herself the red frock of Kieth, Cardinal O’Brien?

Never was there a scarlet woman to equal the editor of CTS. To quote a TCD man
    The Church had never such a writer
    For shame, she has not got a mitre!

April 1, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Dr John Dowden,

I am almost 100 per cent certain that you and our beloved Dowden of old, are one and the same Anglican blogger. The only thing missing is the wee doggy avatar.

Anyway, thank you for your confidence in my fitness for high episcopal office, but I really have no such ambition, no desire to thus offend our dear Lord who – had He wished for female clergy – would have left word with St Peter that the time would certainly come when the Editor of Catholic Truth would have to take over the Church completely, at least in Scotland.

I do love red, mind you, my favourite colour, so if you can find me a Religious Order with a red Habit, advertising for a Mother Superior, I’ll have to rethink my vocation, with bells on… 😀

April 1, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Finally,

I was in the company of a reader today who switched on her laptop in order to check out this April Fool joke. Imagine my surprise when all she had on her screen was / is the headline and then the text. No photo of Yours Truly – I’ve avoided publishing any images of myself or team for years now, but since Sunday’s show, I thought “what the heck” and took a snip from the iplayer version of The Big Questions. “In for a penny”, I thought, and it’ll make the joke more believable. Just ask Daniel.

I presumed everyone would see the photo – however, said reader doesn’t have it on her screen.

If anyone else can’t see the photo, will you let me know – I’d need to try to work out why, since I usually put an image with every blog article, if not a video.

Those who CAN see my photo, copy the following sentences:

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo….

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo….

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo….

😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉

April 1, 2014 at 9:33 pm
  • 3littleshepherds

I always had it in my mind that you looked like Jessica Fletcher (which show I dutifully watched as a kid with my Mom). I did pretty good, but you’re cuter!

April 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm

WOW, 3LittleShepherds – have you just shot up the payscale!

April 2, 2014 at 1:10 am
  • greatpretender51

Just curious, Editor, as to the dimensions of this think tank – depth, width, height – and whether it might be filled with water….

April 1, 2014 at 11:19 pm

GreatPretender,

I’ll check out those dimensions right after I’ve double-checked the current population of Glasgow…

April 2, 2014 at 1:10 am
  • jobstears

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable and witty, I know because I saw her photo,
    Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, witty and loves red, I know because I can see her and she says so..
    Editor is cuter than Angela Lansbury and Hetty Wainthrop
    Editor is the best!
    Who else would go to all the trouble of posting a thread just to amuse her readers? And here I was thinking she was such a slave-driver!

April 2, 2014 at 1:47 am

Jobstears,

I’m mulling over the idea of being “cuter than Angela Lansbury and Hetty Wainthrop” before finally deciding to jump on the bus for the Erskine Bridge!

Only kidding – they’re lovely ladies and I’m flattered!

April 2, 2014 at 10:18 am
  • fryderykfranciszekchopin

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo….

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo….

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo..

Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo

April 2, 2014 at 1:55 am

Chopin,

Ten out of ten! Great work! Top student!

April 2, 2014 at 10:19 am
  • Burt

Slim, glamorous, fashionable Editor,

Like 3LITTLESHEPHERDS I always had a different image in my mind of you before I saw you on Big Q. For some reason I aways pictured you as a redhead..don’t know why..

Now where was I before I interrupted myself..oh yeah.. Editor is slim, glamorous, fashionable, I know because I’ve seen her photo..

April 2, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Burt,

A REDHEAD? Moi? If only. I’d KILL to be a redhead. Mind u, this latest colour is fine, isn’t it, nobody would guess it’s straight out of a bottle… 😀

April 2, 2014 at 5:11 pm
    • greatpretender51

Funny you should mention it, Burt, last time I saw Editor she was indeed a redhead….but last time she saw me, I probably had much less gray hair…

April 3, 2014 at 6:05 pm
  • Lionel (Paris)

Dear Editor,
    You will certainly have to face a lot of difficulties…
    I hope that you will succeed in this job.
    Please, receive my congratulations.
    Union de prière LD

April 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  • Lionel (Paris)

It must be a 1st April joke, is not it?

April 4, 2014 at 11:23 pm