Junk Journalism & Bigoted Broadsheets – A Deadly Combination

Junk Journalism & Bigoted Broadsheets – A Deadly Combination

Junk Journalism & Bigoted Broadsheets - A Deadly Combination

The Pope is cool these days: he has 17 million followers on Twitter; he won’t use the fancy Papal limousine; he loves a game of football and used to hang around in tango bars when he was young. He even has an app.

What’s known as ‘the Francis effect’ sees him greeted like a pop star wherever he goes, with crowds of weeping nuns and young girls holding up hand-written signs with pink hearts which should surely say ‘I LUV Justin Bieber’ but, instead, have messages of affection for their Pope. (TV review: Panorama on whether the new Pope can start a Catholic revolution, The Herald, 3 April) Click on photo of Pope Francis to read the rest of this junk journalism… And click here to watch the BBC Panorama documentary on Pope Francis

And then tell us if you have ever read a more ignorant piece of anti-Catholic writing – ever? For those of you outside Scotland, don’t laugh, but we’ve got “anti-sectarianism” at the top of our agenda. It’s constantly described as “Scotland’s shame”. We’ve even had at least one top politician that I know of, actually admitting that we don’t have an anti-sectarian problem in Scotland, we have an anti-Catholic problem. Journalist, Julie McDowall – like many if not most other lapsed Catholics – is as anti-Catholic as the nearest Orangeman. And WOW! does it come across in her ugly article.  Do you see the connection? It’s usually because they’re ignorant, that they’re lapsed to begin with. Nobody who truly  understands our beautiful Catholic Faith could be lapsed. End of.

I’ve emailed a letter for publication to The Herald but wait – it’s highly unlikely to see the light of The Herald letters page. They had a blatant policy of censoring all letters from Catholic Truth, by command of their then Deputy Editor, Kevin McKenna (who now writes for the Scottish Catholic Observer – now, I said, “don’t laugh”) and although there was a brief respite during the editorship of Douglas-Home, who told me to begin submitting letters again since McKenna no longer worked at The Herald, under the latest Chief Censor, my letters are clearly being blocked again. Scoundrels, I think is the word I’m looking for. Yes, that’s it. Scoundrels.

Your comments welcome – and remember, unlike most other blogs (including The Herald blogs) this one isn’t moderated beyond the first comment from new bloggers and even that is for technical reasons, on the advice of WordPress. We’ve got nothing to fear from the truth – so let’s hear it folks. IS The Herald a bigoted broadsheet? IS Julie McDowall’s article nothing more than a piece of junk journalism?

In Scotland, a footballer (Leigh Griffiths) is in trouble for singing a racist football song, which calls Rudi Skacel (a Czech player) a “refugee”.

It is true that asylum seekers did/do face racism in Scotland and so people should not use the term “refugee” as a pejorative. But the term is not offensive in and of itself.

Is it not amazing that calling someone a “refugee” as part of a football song – which are usually provocative / tasteless / idiotic as a rule – is considered racist and a newsworthy event……….

……..while deriding the intellect and hygiene of a social minority group, one which has until recently faced overt public discrimination, is what passes for a ‘television review’ and responsible journalism.

Only in Scotland.

April 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm
    • Fidelis

Gabriel Syme,

That’s absolutely unbelievable. I completely agree, that word is not insulting in any way. If anything, it just describes a person’s status and is not at all offensive.

As you say “only in Scotland” could such blatant bigotry and double standards be tolerated and even acceptable.

April 7, 2014 at 12:07 am
      • Miles Immaculatae

Personally, I think it is offensive. The Czech Republic is an EU partner, and is therefore guaranteed the free movement of its people. Skacel is an EU national who has a legal right to live and work here. A refugee on the other hand, is someone who has claimed asylum. They may not work, and their freedom to live here is subject to judicial process.

Czech persons are not refugees! No more than French or German persons.

I think the point Griffiths was making was that central and eastern European countries are backward. Think Transylvania and vampires. That’s offensive.

If Skacel were from Afghanistan or Somalia, then Griffiths would have a point. Nevertheless, the comment would still be offensive.

April 7, 2014 at 1:09 am

Miles,

We will have to disagree about that one. Even if “refugee” is regarded by some as “offensive” (it would never occur to me to equate “refugee” with “backward”) it’s not half as offensive as calling Catholics “unwashed” and peddling the rest of the McDowall falsehoods, especially about priests – there’s just no comparison.

I repeat: Catholicism is the last tolerated and approved prejudice. No question about it.

April 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

Gabriel Syme,

Thanks for posting that BBC sports report. I agree, there is nothing about the term “refugee” that is “in and of itself” offensive.

Double standards are the norm, though, where Catholicism is concerned. If anyone watched The Big Questions yesterday, we had another example of Catholic bashing by the former MP Dr Evan Harris, who paid the young man from the Catholic Herald a backhanded compliment in the form of a swipe at the abuse scandals in the Church. Yet, without doubt, he would be one of those PC types who, in any public discussion about terrorist attacks by Muslims, would be quick to preface his “concerns” by pointing out that Islam is a “peaceful religion” and these terrorists are a minority. Breaking news… so are abusing Catholic priests.

The really Big Question seems to be are YOU anti-Catholic?

Answer: “Yip”

Response: Cool !

April 7, 2014 at 11:16 am
  • Frankier

The anti-Catholic media in Scotland are only interested in condemning Griffiths because of who he plays for.

As far as I am aware, I might be wrong, the video was taken when he played for Hibernian and he has already been punished by the SFA.

I have no time personally for this player but he is being used as an excuse by the above mentioned media to air their blatant sectarianism.

If he had sung Paddy McGinty`s Goat they would have accused him of singing sectarian songs.

That is just the way it is in this lovely wee “tolerant” country.

April 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm
  • Frankier

I should have mentioned that The Herald is one of the biggest haters of Celtic FC as well as the Catholic Church, so anything they write about either can be taken with a large pinch of salt.

April 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Frankier,

I think the answer to The Herald’s evident anti-Catholic bias is simply not to read it. I’ve cancelled their daily headlines and don’t miss them one bit. I’ve asked the reader who is in the habit of bringing me copies of articles (in case I’ve not seen them) to stop doing that (and he agreed) so that I’m not remotely tempted to submit another letter for publication which they can chuck in the bin.

There’ll be a short report on the Hate Speech at The Herald in the next edition, for the record, and thereafter, I want nothing to do with them. I sincerely suggest that other CT bloggers similarly shake off the dust – The Herald is, literally, bad news.

April 10, 2014 at 12:01 am