Restoring Tradition: Reasons For Hope…

Restoring Tradition: Reasons For Hope…

Image

That today there are Catholics denominated “traditionalist” is a development unexampled in the entire previous history of the Catholic Church. Even at the height of the Arian crisis—the closest analogue to our situation—the Church was not divided between traditionalists and non-traditionalists, but rather between those who had not embraced the heresy of Arius and those who had.

But what exactly is a traditionalist? A look back at the way things once were might convey the meaning of the term more effectively than the usual attempts at a formal definition:  Click here or on the picture to read more – also, if you find that you experience any difficulty in opening the link, it is reproduced in first comment below.

I was deeply saddened yesterday to learn of one of our staunchest supporters, a long time reader of Catholic Truth, who is so deeply upset by all that is happening in the Church, crunch time being the recent “canonisations” , that he is now wondering if he should question the very existence of God.

What can we say to help him?  I told him that what keeps me going is (a) that this diabolical disorientation was foretold (Quito and Fatima = diabolical disorientation) and (b) that we must cultivate the mindset that we are, in fact, privileged souls to have the opportunity to exercise real faith in this time of crisis, and, hopefully, play some part in restoring Catholic Tradition.  What would you say to encourage him not to lose heart and faith?

• Theresa Rose

Christopher Ferrara is concise and absolutely spot on in this article.

Trouble is, that the apparitions at Fatima are being side lined. How many of the hierarchy in Rome want Fatima pushed out of everyone’s memory. The Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate heart of Mary is a necessity, but since 1960 the Third Secret has been consigned (almost to the dustbin) for fear of offending Russia, the Orthodox Church, everyone imaginable. Our Lord Himself told Sister Lucia that it would be a case of following the King of France into misfortune if this Consecration was not done.

No wonder Our Lady asked for Rosaries and reparation so that poor sinners would be saved from going to hell.

The situation now is desperate, chastisements are looming. Rosaries, the Traditional Mass and reparation are needed and now.

May 6, 2014 at 4:31 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

I hope I am wrong, but presently, it seems the only thing that will finally convince them of the need to listen to Fatima is when the Russian flag is flying atop the dome of Saint Peter’s.

May 6, 2014 at 8:08 pm
  • Frankier

It is obvious that God doesn’t want to chastise us or He wouldn’t have been so patient, so it is really annoying and frightening to see Him being virtually taunted by those who may live to regret it.

It seems to me that they are not going to be dictated to by three peasant children. It would be looked on as a sign of weakness on their part if they did.

If it had been a Rabbi, a Wee Free minister and Ian Paisley who had passed on the message from Our Lady we would all be lying basking in the sun now without a care in the world.

May 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

We have undergone chastisement already though, principally the ‘diabolical disorientation’: the heresy, impiety and impurity of the ‘new orientation’. Then there was World War II and the rise of the Communist Empire, which have already happened, which were truthfully prophesied by Our Lady.

May 6, 2014 at 8:05 pm
      • Frankier

MI

Although I agree with what you say I would think that those chastisements would be as nothing compared to those in the third secret.

May 6, 2014 at 9:17 pm
    • jobstears

Frankier, it is frightening to see God being “taunted by those who may live to regret it”. I don’t remember in which apparition Our Lady said She could no longer hold back the Hand of God.

May 6, 2014 at 8:56 pm
  • Frankier

In fact, if it had been a Rabbi, a WF meenister and big Ian who had passed on the message it would have been a joke. 🙂

May 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm
  • greatpretender51 May 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

GP,

Skimmed that article – makes a lot of sense. The papolatrists will be having heart attacks!

May 7, 2014 at 5:13 pm
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

The friend to whom you refer in the introduction to this thread has, understandably, allowed himself to be overcome by the apparent success of all the forces that have combined for the overthrowing of the Kingship of Christ.

Viewed from a human perspective, the evidence does seem to abound everywhere and there is no need for me to quote examples illustrating how far-reaching their efforts have become.

Small wonder that your friend feels inclined to throw in the towel.

He is allowing his feelings, his human emotions, to cloud his judgement. I have said this before: “Emotion has no part to play in our faith”. God reads our hearts, and He knows, as we try to know Him, to love Him and to serve Him in this world, whether we are delivering lip service to Him, or whether we really do love Him. Even when we ourselves are overcome with doubt and our human emotions tell us to give up (as seems to be happening to your friend just now), He is reading our hearts and is knowing what the score really is.

Your friend has to remind himself of the supernatural element to our Faith. Faith is a supernatural gift from the Holy Ghost. Faith is tested from time to time, as a great many of the Saints have revealed in the stories of their lives (The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross springs to mind), and it has to be nurtured by spiritual reading, by fasting, by prayer, by alms-giving, by good example.

Adherence to this way of life strengthens the Faith, and helps the faithful fight off the temptations of Satan to see things with our human senses and emotions only, and to give up.

Probably the greatest example set by any human being is that of Our Lady at the time of and immediately after the crucifixion of Our Lord. When even His closest friends had given up hope and hidden themselves away in fear, and when St. John of the Cross went looking for Our Lady to urge her to flee to safety with him, did she not lead him to the foot of the Cross to be in the presence of Christ as He breathed His last? And was she not constant in her faith that He would triumph?

This is where all of us must strive to be – at the feet of Christ, and filled with the sure knowledge that He will triumph over evil, and that we who strive shall all be with Him when our time arrives.

“Take heart, friend of the Editor, and return to the fray – there is so much worth fighting for”.

I pray that these words will help your friend.

May 7, 2014 at 1:04 pm
    • Eileenanne

…when St. John of the Cross went looking for Our Lady to urge her to flee to safety with him…

I have never heard that before. Where can I read more about it please?

May 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm
      • leprechaun

EileenAnne,

That snippet of information comes from an article entitled: “The Coming Resurrection of the Mystical Body Of Christ in the Modern World” by Michael Matt, Editor of The Remnant and which appeared in Volume 47, Number 6 of April 15th AD 2014, page 2, junction of column 1 and column 2.

And what do you suppose she said to John, as he stood there panting in fear, begging Mary to come with him into hiding?

He himself heard it from the late, great Fr. John O’Connor when Father was lecturing on the paralyzing fear the first Bishops of the Catholic Church experienced during Our Lord’s passion.

I hope you will consider this an adequate response.

May 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm
      • leprechaun

EileenAnne,

In case you do not happen to have that particular Issue convenient to your hand, here is a link to the actual article itself:

Perhaps you might now give us an update on your response to the plight in which the Editor’s friend finds himself regarding his crisis?

May 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm
      • Eileenanne

Thank you. I will certainly read that.

I don’t have anything useful to say about Editor’s friend, which is why I said nothing – generally a good plan I think.
        It is always sad to hear of anyone suffering depression / despndency / the temptation to stop believing. I hope he recovers soon. I am sure many of us here will pray for him.

May 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm
      • Fidelis

Eileenanne,

“I don’t have anything useful to say about Editor’s friend.”

Reading about editor’s friend’s suffering should make us all think of something useful to say, surely? He’s not just suffering depression or despondency or the temptation to stop believing, as you say, that’s not what I read in the blog introduction. I read of a man who is so shocked and disturbed by what Pope Francis is doing (latest being the canonisations of the two recent popes) that he is now wondering about whether the claims of the Church can be true that Jesus will always be with his Church, and so whether there is a God after all. That’s much more than just “depression” in my book.

I join in the prayers for this good man but would also say to him that the Church has had bad popes before, and that their day will come when they have to answer for their crimes against the Church of Christ. Strong faith is being asked of us at this time, so I agree with all the others who have said to hang on in there, and try to see this suffering as a way of participating in the suffering of Jesus in his agony in the garden.

May 7, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Eileenanne,

It might help you to think of useful things to say to help my friend and others like him, suffering due to the scandalous papacy of Pope Francis, if you read this open letter from a woman in Argentina who was so friendly with the then Cardinal Bergoglio that he told her to drop his title and call him “Jorge”. Her reaction to this suggestion is noteworthy. She is not, by the way, a “traditionalist” but a neo-Catholic – that is, like yourself, she has, for the most part at least, gone along with the revolution in the Church.

Perhaps reflecting on the gravity of what this pope is doing and the damage he is causing to souls, will enlighten your mind and correct your failure to distinguish between psychological depression and spiritual anguish of the kind suffered by Catholics who are very badly affected by his faithless and attention seeking shenanigans – his friend, the author of the letter, notes his attention seeking behaviour even as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, so please don’t get the wrong idea, as if I am accusing him of such. I mean, would I?

So, thank you for your prayers for my friend but be assured he is not a “cuckoo” case. He is one of the many souls that will be presented to Pope Francis at his judgment. I suggest, therefore, that you pray, not only for my good friend but for this awful pontiff as well. He is definitely in need of them. By the spade-full.

May 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm
      • Eileenanne

…be assured he is not a “cuckoo” case.

The quotes around “cuckoo” might suggest I used that word. I did not and would not use such an offensive expression about anyone.

May 9, 2014 at 5:17 pm
      • greatpretender51

Eileenanne and Lep,

Just a small point of clarification: it was St. John the Evangelist, not St. John of the Cross, who stood with Our Lady at the foot of the Holy Cross (though one wonders why the Church never labeled him, “St. John at the Foot of the Cross!).

May 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Leprechaun,

Thank you – my friend will, indeed, benefit from your comment and, I’m sure, from all the encouragement posted here.

May 7, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I am thinking and praying for your friend. Is he feeling any better now?

May 7, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Yes, thank you my friend has been reading this thread and assures me that he has found it “very supportive” and is feeling better all round now.

May 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm
  • Nolite Timere

Ed

What if……

……the Church and recent Popes have not been wrong, what if God, through the Holy Spirit is guiding the Church on this particular course of action.

Then that means that this blog and other factions are the ones who are currently displeasing God. How many souls have you led astray and will you have to answer for at judgement??

Just a thought

May 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm
    • Petrus

Nolite Timere,

Interesting questions. We know that recent popes have been wrong because they have contradicted previous popes. We know that they have been wrong because Our Lady has warned us time and time again to expect a loss of Faith – a diabolical disorientation. Finally, when we cling to Tradition and recent popes and bishops don’t , we know they are wrong.

May 8, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Nolite Timere,

Since God cannot contradict Himself, it is impossible for the Holy Spirit to be guiding the Church on a course of action which is diametrically opposed to what He has revealed as His will for the Church. As St Francis de Sales made clear, Christ’s Church has no need of reform, it is the perfect Bride of Christ. This is but one example from the entire history of Catholic Tradition, to demonstrate the nature and purpose of Christ’s Church – which is NOT to comply with the winds of change in the world, but to preach Christ and Him crucified “in season and out of season”.

Thus, in the context of Catholic Tradition, which carries equal weight with Sacred Scripture, remember, you should test your hypothesis by citing anything you have ever read on this blog which contradicts Catholic dogma or morals. Anything which remotely contradicts Catholic Tradition. Please and thank you…

May 8, 2014 at 9:15 pm
    • Burt

Nolite Timere

So…The Holy Spirit has decided there was far too much reverence and respect shown to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Way too much of that sort of thing…Too many altar boys used to be drawn to the priesthood in those bad old days too, when they were privileged in their role besides father..the Holy Spirit got so tired of the intimate connection with Our Lord in the quietness of Holy Mass..He thought we should all liven things up and have a jolly community centre style happy hour…yeah…give me a break NT!

May 8, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Spot on, Burt.

May 8, 2014 at 10:38 pm
  • Nolite Timere

Ed & Petrus

What if the recent Pope’s are contradicting previous Popes who were wrong.

What if the original Church was similar to the Church we have (since Vatican 2) until Pope John XIII (965-972) started on a course that led to a diabolical disorientation that lasted for nearly 1000 years until ‘good pope’ John XXIII sorted it out.

In that case everything that you cling to us wrong, the tradition of the last 1000 years was wrong, and any faith based on that is indeed damaging for souls!

May 8, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Given the trends of the ‘Church we have’, it is difficult to see how the early Church would have lasted till the time of John XIII, if it had been at all similar.

The Diocese I live in has announced plans to close half its parishes; if these trends continue, I might well personally outlive the Diocese.

That doesn’t sounds like the pre-V2 Church to me; indeed its the exact opposite.

May 8, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Gabriel,

I think you are misunderstanding Nolite Timere – he is suggesting that the Church UP TO Pope John XXIII was in a state of diabolical disorientation and only now is it all being put right. 😯

You have to laugh.

May 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm
    • Frankier

NT

What if my granny had a moustache.

What if The Holy Spirit decided that The Blessed Sacrament should risk landing in a sewer, in a dog`s mouth or be trampled underfoot by preferring the reception of communion in the hand rather than on the tongue.

What if God preferred empty pews and a shortage of priests to the pre
      Vat 11 overflowing of churches (when was the last church built in Scotland?) and priests with curates in almost every parish.

What if
      What if
      What if

May 9, 2014 at 12:56 am
    • Petrus

Nolite Timere,

I can only conclude that anyone who thinks the Church of the last 50 years is pleasing to God, does not believe in Fatima and thinks Our Lady is a liar.

May 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm
  • Helen

I know you started this thread for your friend but I, also, am finding it very helpful. Thank you.

May 9, 2014 at 2:54 pm

That’s great news, Helen. Thank you for letting us know that.

May 9, 2014 at 4:04 pm
  • Christina

I second that, Helen. I read this blog, and have always done so, because the posts of many here (for which I thank them all) have helped to shore up my faith when beset by doubts, even doubts about the very existence of God, which I am unfortunate enough to sometimes experience. Such doubts have always been experienced by some Catholics, even in the heady days described in the lead article here, so it’s hardly surprising if they are experienced more and more in these days when the Church is visibly falling apart, and so many words and actions of the current successor of St. Peter seem designed to dismantle what remains of her. I have tried two confessors with the problem, and one, I am sad to say, failed dismally to help – I think he even laughed a little at my predicament saying “don’t you believe what the Church teaches?”, to which I could only reply – I think logically enough – that if there is no God then the Church is irrelevant! Fortunately I went to another priest and received the excellent advice, which I pass on to Editor’s friend, that I should try to ignore the doubts and carry on with the practice of my faith, especially receiving the sacraments, as if they (the doubts) didn’t exist. I was also directed to the life of St, Therese of Lisieux who was plagued most of her life with doubts about the existence of God. She used to repeat an act of faith whenever she was tempted, and I do the same by repeating, I think it was St. Augustine’s prayer “Lord, I believe – help Thou my unbelief”.

On another point raised somewhere above, re a ‘Catholic’ bishop in Scotland – I have just today read the latest LMS magazine, and I’m sure I saw a picture and read a bit about the new Bishop of Paisley going on the traditionalist, old-rite only, pilgrimage to Chartres a couple of years ago. Was I dreaming or am I getting delusional?

May 9, 2014 at 10:45 pm