General Discussion (5)

General Discussion (5)

ImageIf there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here
(4) click here

• Vicki DePalma

Comment removed.

Please do not promote the error of sedevacantism: this is prohibited – see our in-house rules

July 26, 2014 at 12:00 am

Eponymous Flower reports that, having already ordered an apostolic visitation into a Diocese in Paraguay – which has been experiencing a vocations boom, connected with the traditional mass – Pope Francis has now suspended Priestly ordinations there:

Francis does everything in his power to hamstring, undermine and embarrass the Church – all the while lavishing the highest praise on his friends the heretics.

His pontificate is proving a very poor one indeed and Its a wonder that he has any defenders left.

July 28, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Gabriel,

Thanks for this alert – that is utterly amazing. It’s not just a case, then, of a pope mistakenly pursuing ecumenism as a means of winning people to the Church, but – from what you report above – a pope who appears to think that Traditional Catholicism is a problem to be stamped out.

If’ I’m over-stating the case, would someone please explain why. Right now, that’s how it looks to me.

As to why he has any defenders left; again, it seems to me that the only explanation can be that some folk just will not say “I was wrong” (about Pope Francis) and I was wrong (to be a papolatrist). Pride, in other words, Gabriel, pride.

Happily, though, more and more people ARE waking up. We had another family come to our SSPX Mass for the first time on Sunday and said afterwards in the tearoom “This is where we’ll be coming from now on.” Another Glasgow parish loses excellent parishioners because they are fed up with the emptiness of the new Mass and because they want to hear the fullness of the Faith preached. What did they think of the sermon on Sunday? “Excellent”. They have come home. I believe others will follow, slowly but surely in some cases, quick as a flash if they’re “Francis-watching”.

July 29, 2014 at 10:25 am
    • catholicconvert1

What you seem to be failing to mention is that their is a Priest, the Diocesan Vicar General no less, by the name of Carlos Urrotigoity, who is identified by the Diocese of Scranton, Pennsylvania as a ‘serious threat to young people’. It seems that the Papal Nuncio ordered his removal. Obviously there are some things that are not quite above board.

However, the action taken by the Holy See is drastic to say the least, as evidenced by banning ordinations. If you have a splinter in your thumb (i.e Fr. Urrotigoity), you don’t cut off the whole arm. The Bishop, a Priest of Opus Dei, is very traditional and has done a great deal to renew Catholic life, and it seems to Holy See is ‘killing two birds with one stone’, by removing this individual and restraining traditionalist growth.

Source: http://www.ucanews.com/news/vatican-suspends-ordinations-at-paraguayan-diocese/71534

July 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm
      • Confitebor Domino

CC1

Fr Lombardi has issued a statement in which he confirms the ban but gives no reason for it. (1)

According to this ‘clarification’ Fr Urrutigoity had been relieved of his duties as VG prior to the visitation – so he appears to be a red herring.

Elsewhere there is a claim that Bp Livieres recently publicly accused the Abp of Asuncion of being a homosexual. (2)

Perhaps I’m thick (it has been alleged!) but I fail to see how suspending ordinations could possibly be an appropriate response in either case.

So either there is something we are not being told or this is what it appears to be – another attack on folks with a ‘traditionalist drift’.

(1)http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/07/30/fr_lombardi_on_the_situation_in_ciudad_del_este,_paraguay/1103701

(2) http://kath.net/news/46891

July 30, 2014 at 4:08 pm

CD,

If suspending ordinations is the answer to individual abusers, then there will be even more of a shortage across the entire Church in no time at all than we’ve experienced to date.

July 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm
      • Confitebor Domino

Ah, but apparently they’ve now redefined ‘shortage’ as well.

The bishop of Rockville Center NY has said, in writing:

“There never will be sufficient priests, but it is irresponsible and insulting to talk about ‘priest shortage.’”

I thought we must have reached the bottom of the stupidity ladder by now – but apparently they’re tacking some extra rungs on!

July 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

The latest rumblings in advance of the forthcoming synod, a from a book length interview with Gerhard Muller.

Müller: “These Theories Are Radically Mistaken”

Encouraging noises this time, though I recall Francis’ pals have allegedly tried to restrict Mullers involvement at the Synod.

Muller also rejects the notion of taking communion being left to peoples own conscience, saying that this had been already rejected by the CDF in 1994.

July 29, 2014 at 9:47 am
    • Summa

Thank goodness that some sense has come from a Priest in the Roman ‘mainstream’ Hierarchy. Are there more out there like this cardinal, or is he and one or two others just lone voices in the desert?
      And as a worried Catholic myself, I appreciate his stance on what is mercy and what is not. I fear that it will become the get out of jail card for anyone and his dog, during this papacy.

July 29, 2014 at 12:40 pm
      • sixupman

Well certainly not the Antipodean Bishop of Hobart, see the Aussie The Tablet manque – CN.

July 29, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Hi Summa,

There are some good Cardinals indeed. My favourites are probably Malcolm Ranjith (Sri Lanka) and Raymond Burke (USA). The (recently retired) Cardinal Meisner (Germany) I know little of, but he criticised Francis ‘to his face’, so he cant be all that bad.

Sadly however, many of these find themselves marginalised at present, while the Maradiagas of this world are allowed free rein, as are various “yes men”.

However they can still speak out against Kaspar and co – I know Cardinal Burke has very explicitly; as have Cardinals Mueller (Germany), Caffarra (Italy) and Brandmuller (Germany) to name a few.

Editor is right however that we should pray and wait and see what develops at this synod, before praising anyones efforts.

I find it encouraging that Bishop Athanasius Schneider said openly in England recently that Catholics “could not accept” a change such as Kaspers proposes and warned of schism; yet the main threat is some vaguely worded bodge-job, (as is likely), leaving things up to the predictable discretion of weak local Bishops.

August 3, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Gabriel Syme,

Cardinal Muller is saying some surprising things these days – quite a turnaround because he was billed as a liberal with bells on when first appointed to the CDF. He certainly is way out of line when it comes to the SSPX – read here

Then there is the interview he gave to the dissident National Catholic Register and to the more subtle neo-conservative Catholic Herald which is, astonishingly, published on the Vatican website: here’s an extract –

“The role of the Congregation [for the Doctrine of the Faith] therefore, is first and foremost to support that mission of the whole Church. Obviously, to do that today means that we have to defend the faith from the assault of secularism and materialism…” Read entire interview here

There you have it. Forget about heretics trying to destroy the Church from within – they can get on with it. The CDF is aiming its fire at the straw men of secularism and materialism – probably sounds good to those who don’t realise that the Church has no authority over “secularism” or “materialism”.

So, while it’s great that he is taking a stand against the arch-heretic Cardinal Kasper, I wouldn’t read to much into it. It comes under the heading of “thank God for small mercies” 😀

Oh and we’re not there yet. Let’s wait to see what sort of “solution to the problem” of marriage breakdown/reception of sacraments is reached at the October Synod. Members of the Hierarchy, as we know, have been known to do an unexpected turnaround from time to time!

July 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Hi Ed,

Yes, I remember Mullers appointment to the CDF being greeted with skepticism and certainly it is right to reminder us of concerns about him.

I guess I am pleased to hear anyone speak out against Kasper and his wacky theories, but of course you are right that we should wait and see what happens before opening the champers!

On the same topic, Ignatius Press in the USA are releasing a book collecting together the criticism of Kaspers proposals from 5 Cardinals and 4 University Professors.

Apparently its being published multi-language and is due out before the synod begins. Lets hope it has the desired effect!

See:

August 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Gabriel,

I fully understand your happiness at seeing Cardinal Muller standing up to Cardinal Kasper. I am delighted as well, and it may be that seeing how things are steadily worsening, Cardinal Muller has seen the light, and not before time. It just pays us to remember that we’re living in a state of smoke and mirrors. The synod will be a turning point. We can be sure of that and let’s just hope it’s Muller on the winning side and not Kasper!

August 4, 2014 at 1:25 am
  • catholicconvert1

When I go to order the Little Office of the BVM from Baronius Press, is it the 3rd edition which I should order, because earlier editions, I am given to understand have many typos etc. I just want to know before I fork out the money.

July 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

CC,

I intend to purchase this book too and as far as I am aware, only the 3rd edition is available from Baronius (having some improvements over earlier editions).

(I am disappointed Baronius don’t do a manual of indulgences!).

August 3, 2014 at 10:23 pm
  • Spiritus

Just wanted to highlight an excellent website for anyone wanting to know more about the Catholic Church & the faith. It is http://www.lovethefaith.com. The Legion of St. Joseph, for those who may not know this was founded by a group of young Traditional Catholics, most of whom are associated with the Society of St. Pius X. it contains articles, videos and some printable leaflets explaining matters relating to the Eucharist and the family.

July 30, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Spiritus,

Thank you for that link – I took a quick tour and it looks great. I’ll publicise it on our homepage as a news item. Just what Ireland needs (the new website, I mean, not our publicity!)

And while I’m on the topic of great sites, one of our younger bloggers – Chopin, from the USA – set up a Google page for us some time ago and it now has 15 followers. You can check it out here.

I’ll be giving that a plug on the website as well. All go!

July 30, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Spiritus,

As promised, we did advertise your new website on our homepage, and here on the blog, of course, but don’t mention it…oops! You didn’t! 🙂

August 4, 2014 at 1:16 am
  • catholicconvert1

In the Gospel of Luke it states that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost in Nazareth:

‘And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, [27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’ s name was Mary’.

It says that after the Visitation, Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem where Jesus was born. After the Presentation/ Purification, they all went back to Nazareth.

Whereas in the Gospel of Matthew it does not say where He was conceived, but rather that He was born in Bethlehem. Then Joseph took Mary and Jesus and fled to Egypt to avoid the wrath of King Herod, and then they went to Nazareth to fulfil the prophecy of the Messiah being a Nazarene, and also to avoid Herod Archelaus.

Why does Matthew not mention that Jesus was conceived in Nazareth?

July 31, 2014 at 12:10 pm
    • Josephine

Catholic Convert,

I think the gospel writers didn’t write exactly everything that is in every gospel. Just what they thought necessary.

July 31, 2014 at 1:28 pm
      • catholicconvert1

It’s just puzzling as to why Matthew didn’t mention the Visitation/ Presentation/ Purification, or why Luke didn’t mention the Massacre of the Innocents or the Flight into Egypt. They are pretty big things. Likewise Matthew’s account of the reason why they left Bethlehem was to escape Herod. In contrast, in Luke’s account, they started in Nazareth, and instead went to Bethlehem for the ritual ceremonies to be performed, and then went to Nazareth because it was their home, not to escape Herod Archelaus or to fulfil any prophecies, as Matthew said.

July 31, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Catholic Convert,

There’s no error in the Scriptures and the differences reflect the different emphases of the evangelists, their readership and various other simple reasons. I’m about to close this thread now so if you wish to re-post your question on the new General Discussion thread, I’ll answer in some more detail there, although not quite sure how soon. I’m up to my eyes at the moment with various domestic matters and the small matter of trying to get the September edition off the ground.

However, if you are still puzzled and want more detail – and nobody else has responded (times like this one wonders where all the clergy are) then I’ll do my best to assuage any fears you may harbour. For now, I’ll say merely – don’t worry. Worry not. Sacred Scripture is inerrant and inspired in the sense that the Gospel writers recorded what God wanted them to record. I recommend you read the landmark encyclical on the subject of the study of Sacred Scripture, Providentissimus Deus. You will find it really helpful, I’m sure.

August 4, 2014 at 12:59 am

CC,

Just briefly, to touch on your closing question, July 31st, 12.10pm – differences such as you highlight here reflect the different readership being addressed by Matthew and Luke. St Matthew was writing primarily for the new Jewish Christians and so he begins his Gospel by tracing Jesus’ royal line, choosing to begin with the genealogy because that would seem more important to him than the location of Nazareth. Luke, on the other hand, addresses his Gospel to a particular person, probably an important Roman official, so his content reflects that fact. Luke seems to be an organised person, paying attention to dates and details – God uses each individual evangelist to see to it that all that He wishes to be recorded, is recorded.

As I’ve said below, if you wish more detail on this, please-repost on the new General Discussion thread and I will respond asap.

August 4, 2014 at 1:13 am

I was quite excited to discover this on the internet recently, but then I checked and sadly our guy is “Kasper” not “Kaspar”:

August 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I am not able to access the Carmel books web site – anyone else have this problem, or are they (or I?) having some issue? (I hope they have not “gone under”!!!?).

August 3, 2014 at 10:32 pm
    • Confitebor Domino

Gabriel

Yes. I tried a little while ago and all I got was a blank page – no idea what the problem is.

August 3, 2014 at 10:46 pm

CD & Gabriel,

There’s a telephone number for Carmel Books on our website, links page, if you want to ask them about the website.

N O T I C E . . .

This thread is now closed, folks. Please move on to General Discussion thread number (6).

Thank you.