Motherwell Priest Facing Eviction…

Motherwell Priest Facing Eviction…

ImageJun 28, 2014 — Hi, Just to inform everyone that on Monday 30th June at Hamilton Sheriff Court, the RT REV Joseph Toal will be pursuing a claim to EVICT Father Matthew Despard (pictured). I will be posting the above details on the FB page and the petition page at change.org hoping that people will come and show their support for Father Matthew. I feel this is the beginning of the end for Father Matthew…  Source

Only a couple of days ago, I was speaking to a reliable source who told me that, whatever we think of the wisdom of Fr Despard’s decision to publish, the information he published is “more of it true than not”.

Given that Bishop Devine has never denied the allegation made about him, and that none of the others either identified or alluded to have identified themselves to deny the claims about them (note: the priest who phoned me, but would not give his name, did deny the allegations but the failure to publicly do so, causes me to doubt – sorry, but that’s the truth of the matter. In their place, I think the majority of innocent people would want to remove all doubt and openly deny the claims.)  Thus, I’m afraid our sympathies have to remain with Fr Despard. He appears to be suffering unjust treatment, disproportionate to his decision to publish his book.  Indeed, Lady Vengeance appears to be in the driving seat in the way the diocese is pursuing this priest.  Or maybe you disagree?

• dominiemary

I agree. There are daily scandals coming out of the Catholic Church now – globally – of the usual sexual indiscretions. I actually feel ashamed of my church. I hope some good can come out of the Despard case. Fr Gruner was also treated dispicably when he promoted Fatima.

June 28, 2014 at 2:26 pm
    • Miles Immaculatae

I don’t think it is bad emotion to be ashamed by our Church, or at least the human element. I am ashamed. This is the way I see it: it is the disgust of the faithful that gives the Church integrity during times of scandal.

June 28, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I agree. It’s very very sad about poor Fr Despard. I am praying hard for him. The bishop should be ashamed.

June 28, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I think it goes without saying that we must all pray hard for Fr Despard and for Bishop Toal, that justice and mercy will be carefully weighed in seeking a resolution to this matter.

June 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm
  • Crouchback

Comment removed – off topic.

June 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Crouchback,

Your comment is completely off topic. Father Despard’s case has nothing to do with child abuse. I suggest you Google before commenting again. I have to delete your comment because it could take us down a very distracting – and irrelevant – road.

June 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm
      • crouchback

I was replying to the top comments and to the way the various abuse stories have been handled by the media. As far as I know no charges have been brought in the Motherwell diocese case, but the reporting has been the same as all the other cases of whatever type of abuse, demonise the church first even if the so called abuse was not enough to bring actual charges

June 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Crouchback,

Since there was no mention of Fr Despard or any clear link to the thread topic in your now deleted comment, there was no way I could see any link between what you had written and this topic. Now that you have clarified, however, I have to say that, in fact, the media have reported on the Fr Despard case quite sympathetically – anything that puts “the Church” (as they see it) in a bad light is welcomed by them, with bells on.

In any case, it’s up to the Catholic laity to make clear by writing letters to the press that it’s churchmen not “the Church” to blame for bad behaviour of whatever kind by Catholics, ordained and lay.

In this case, the churchmen – that is, the bishops and those priests who have pressed for such drastic action against Fr Despard – deserve all the bad publicity they get.

June 28, 2014 at 9:29 pm
  • Miles Immaculatae

I feel very ashamed by my Church. Poor father. By evicting him, they seem to be coercing him into formally leaving the priesthood. It is a catch 22 situation. How will he support himself financially if he remains a suspended priest? The only way he will find a home is to leave the priesthood, because he will not be able to claim JSA and housing benefit or declare himself homeless with the local authority if he is still ’employed’ by the diocese. They appear to expect him to give up his vocation after all these years and find secular employment, which are very scarce at the moment. If this is how the Church treats her own clergy, how can anybody in good conscience continue to financially support the diocese of Motherwell?

The bishops are apparently such reprobates, in this case, bullying, double standards, and grudges. How can this be the Church of Christ, whose shepherds are such traitorous and hypocritical bullies?

Who was it who said, I think it was a Church Father, that most bishops go to hell?

June 28, 2014 at 5:08 pm
    • crouchback

He could do the sensible thing and join the SSPX.

June 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Yes, of course. But do we even know if he is supportive of the society, or even merely traditionally inclined?

June 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Miles,

No, as far as I am aware, Fr Despard is not at all traditionally inclined. He is a diocesan priest who says the novus ordo Mass. In all the years we have been publishing, for example, I’ve never heard of him, nor has he ever written to support us.

So, I doubt very much that “joining the SSPX” (Crouchback) will be on his “to do” list.

June 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm
    • crouchback

Dante said that Hell is paved with the skulls of bishops

June 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

This graphic literary image probably conveys the truth, but I am sure it is based on something Saint Ambrose wrote, or Augustine, I can’t remember.

June 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

That saying “the floor of Hell is paved with the skulls of bishops” is attributed to a few of the Church Fathers, notably St Athanasius and St John Chrysostom. It is quite likely that a number of them said that – I expressed the sense of it myself before learning that greater minds than mine (bound to be some) had made that deadly connection between the hierarchy and hell.

As a matter of interest, and to underline the difference between a conscientious bishop and our lot, it should be noted that Pope Saint Pius X, when appointed Bishop of Mantua, accepted the post very reluctantly. When his mother asked him why on earth he was not thrilled to bits (my gloss!) to be given such an honour, he replied to the effect that if she knew the judgement he would face if he failed in his episcopal duties. He was very aware of the gravity of the office of Bishop – who can say the same for any Scots Bishop today?

June 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I think that’s an important point about money and I have just learned about someone who was wavering about continuing to give money to Motherwell Diocese and on hearing this news has made the decision not to continue giving.

June 28, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I think that decision is being made by quite a few Catholics in the Diocese of Motherwell.

June 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm
    • Faith of Our Fathers

There seems to be a lot of talk about how this man is going to support himself. He was wrong to write a book against the wishes of his superiors I.E. The Bishop he wrote the book and had it published for personal financial gain also without doubt if there were lots of truths there were also lots of lies (must please the press etc ) As a Catholic priest he doesn’t own the home he is staying in the diocese own that .As for jobseekers etc he can join the rest of us who have to get buy on very little benefit .Of course he can always try Amazon again after they have settled with writs against him .Funny how he waited so long to be a whistleblower still timing is everything.

June 29, 2014 at 2:05 am
      • Summa

I certainly don’t know all of the issues around this Priest, but there are a few universals that stay constant no matter the circumstances. I think the first is whether or not the Priest tried to raise the issues with his superiors and if he did whether the matter was dealt with in accordance with Catholic Law, not according to the prejudices of any party.

The second thing is whether or not the matter was so grave and of such a serious nature, that all avenues having being exhausted otherwise, it rendered the action taken by the priest, though in direct contravention of any directions he had received from the Diocese, a prudent moral decision that he was obliged to take under the authority of Christ, for the benefit and welfare of the souls of his Parish and those of the wider Catholic community.

Whistle-blowers are never popular: it comes with the territory. Yet they are necessary.

I am not best placed to take a position on this particular case, but those are the factors I would take into account before I jumped to any conclusions.

The only thing I can say for certain, is to dismiss a couple of points from FOOF above.

#1 She/He mentions financial gain. This is so laughable that I shouldn’t have to do anything but dismiss it out of hand, but for the benefit of those not in the know, writing a book about Scottish Catholic Issues, not supported by a publisher, is hardly going to get you any financial gain. In fact it would be hard to break even considering the market and the issues. This is just a silly notion.

#2 She/He mentions timing. Well that all depends on whether or not he felt he had exhausted all avenues to have this addressed. Do you think that taking these matters public are easy off the cuff decisions that can be made in an instant? I should think rather that they are decisions that have to be pained over, consciences wrestled with back and forth over an extended period of time. You have to give time for due process. But perhaps when someone feels that they have no other place to turn and that the matters are so grave that they must act upon them, then they must have our mercy. There are plenty of embittered souls out there: Police, Nuns, Prison Officers, Doctors, Priests, Politicians, Nurses, Teachers, who will have to live with the thought of not blowing the whistle when they should have. The only judgement that matters is the one at the end of your time.

God bless

June 29, 2014 at 3:38 am
      • Frankier

FOOF

You are a really charitable, Christian gentleman.

It would be nice to know you; or would it?

I thought there was a shortage of priests and an abundance of empty chapel houses.

June 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Faith of our Fathers,

As a Catholic priest, Fr Despard is dependent on his bishop for work. Technically, I believe, in legal terms, priests are categorised as self-employed but must go wherever their bishops dictates and is at the beck and call of his bishop, in a manner of speaking. Since Fr Despard is available for work but is being prevented from working because of his bishop’s unjust treatment, then the onus is on the bishop to see to it that his priest is not living in deprivation and that he has a roof over his head – and I don’t mean the nearest homeless shelter.

It’s not “funny” how he “waited to long to be a whistle-blower” – he’s been expressing his concerns for years to the bishop who chose to ignore the issues put before him. And yes, “timing IS everything” in the sense that it was when the shocking news broke of Cardinal O’Brien’s homosexual behaviour, that Fr Despard decided – rightly or wrongly – to go ahead and publish his writings, which he did not think up overnight. He informs readers at the outset that he had been writing the book for some time, but on learning of the O’Brien scandal, he decided to go ahead and publish – since nobody was paying the slightest bit of attention to him at all.

And do you know what, Faith of our Fathers? Had the issue been child abuse, you would among those supporting Fr Despard. Any other scandal is now unimportant, in the eyes of the shallow thinkers who make up the majority of the faithful (for which read “faithless”) today. It’s now politically correct to condemn child abuse, so it’s OK to support those whistle-blowers. But a bunch of priests who are homosexual serving in parishes? No problem. These numpties don’t seem to have noticed that the majority of the abuse is men (priests) on boys = homosexual activity. In one BBC documentary where one priest had abused both boys and girls, he was asked in the final minute or so of the programme if he had a preference. He thought for a second or two and then replied: “yes, boys.”

That the bishop is apparently choosing to keep silent about the investigation (if any) into Fr Despard’s allegations should be your primary concern, not “the timing” of Fr Despard’s allegations. It’s whether or not they are true – and why Fr Despard’s early discreet attempts to have them investigated were ignored – that should bother you, nothing else. Oh and the fact that he is threatened with eviction for speaking out. That’s what should concern every Catholic in the land.

In summary – gerragrip.

June 29, 2014 at 3:31 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

Ed you stated in a previous post he had committed no crime since when did -Not bearing false witness cease to be a moral crime-Also you said no priest came forward to denounce his claims against them ,please read The Motherwell Times and you will see plenty of words denouncing false witness .Also one priest had to announce from the Alter his false witness -of course he was jumping on Fr Despards Amazon bandwagon .Fr Despards words about jumping on the bandwagon was that a financial one .There have been countless claims against our Clergy and non Catholics just love the in fighting -A bit like the Rangers troubles laughed at from the outside-.If Fr Despards words were all true his book would have been a best seller in fact if no legal writs would have been risen to denounce it -It would certainly be a best seller. Fr Despard should know being a Catholic priest in Scotland the land of no bigotry would have turned this into a soap opera .Also your petulant mud slinging shows you in very bad light wouldn’t like to be married to you and come home with 10 Bob short in my wages. Take care and God Bless.

June 29, 2014 at 5:00 pm

FOOF,

Fr Despard has broken no laws of the land. That is what is generally understood by “no crime” having been committed. And since I am unable to read his soul, I have no idea whether he is guilty of any sin with regard to his allegations or anything else. I believe that his intentions were good and his action in publishing is more likely than not to have been made in frustration at his bishop’s refusal to take his concerns seriously, after a number of years, and in the context of the revelations about Cardinal O’Brien.

As for your defence of those named or alluded to in his book: all I can say is that if someone accused me of such behaviour, and it had reached national newspapers and internationally read blogs like this one, I can tell you (without any fear of contraception!) that I would not be satisfied announcing to my nearest and dearest that there was no truth in the claims. I’d be contacting those same newspapers and blogs, giving my name,, and stating loud and clear, in unambiguous terms, that there was no truth whatsoever in the suggestion that I was homosexually inclined or had indulged in such behaviour.

I am unaware of having engaged in “petulant mud slinging” so I’ll pass on that one. However, you are right to be thankful not to have married me; anyone who dared to come home with ten PENCE missing from their pay packet, never mind ten bob, would be definitely asking for trouble. In my younger and even more glamorous days, a work colleague did say something similar (that he wouldn’t like to come home to me with a broken pay packet) – and some folk still wonder why I never married. 😀

God bless.

June 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

Ed surely you must have read said newspaper and know of the Priest I am referring to he did not hide behind anonymity and why did Fr Despard after stating in a book say he was referring to someone else. As you are a lot more educated than me you know there are lies damned lies and statistics .Also as a person of wisdom when you know that when conversing with someone if that person tells one lie then they have lost all credibility . Sorry bout the 10 bob quote take care God Bless.

June 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm
      • sixupman

Yet another troll? Perhaps a cleric to boot?

June 29, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Sixupman,

Nope. I think FOOF is a genuinely concerned Catholic who thinks Fr Despard is causing needless scandal by having written his book. Nothing in his posts suggests he’s a cleric either – he knows enough about women to know better than to bring home a broken pay packet, especially to the likes of me, so I doubt he’s a priest. 😀

The reason for the apparent concern that Fr Despard is causing scandal is that, it seems to me, most diocesan Catholics (including clergy) do not recognise real dissent screaming out at them from all over the place now; it’s become normalised. Just different views. No big deal.

I could bet money (if I had any) that FOOF would read the Catholic Times from cover to cover and not see the scandals on every page, from the regular (probably weekly) lengthy letters from Elizabeth Price advocating contraception to the shocking columns attacking Catholic dogma, discipline and morals penned by Mgr Loftus. FOOF could, I’d guess, read it all and not see a blessed thing wrong with any of it. Just “different views” – the Catholic sense having virtually disappeared into thin air, so much so that I suspect Malaysian flight MH370 will be found before that innate sense of Catholicity – which has always part and parcel of being a Catholic – is restored.

June 29, 2014 at 10:46 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

No you got me sussed all wrong -as far as my faith is concerned I am in the Maggie Thatcher camp ( God forgive me )and I aint for turning. As with us all the final test will come when our maker calls us and he and only he will be the one to judge me .Words are only words as far as Thomas A Kempis wrote they fly through the air and hurt no one unless that person is willing to be hurt .So take care all we can only try and keep our side of the street clean and always remember about the poor man and the Pharisee in the temple .Thanks lord that I am not like that publican I fast every day I pay more than my share of tithes and surely I will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

June 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm
      • sixupman

Maybe so, but then the pseudonym “Faith of Our Fathers” appears to be most inappropriate. That hymn was banned, in the Liverpool Archdiocese ,after Vatican II as it was adjudged to be “divisive”.

June 30, 2014 at 7:16 am

FOOF,

I take it you mean Fr Robert Kane – I’d forgotten about this report.

Fair enough – that’s one who deserves credit for at least putting his name in the public domain to deny being one of those alluded to by Fr Despard, although I think pursuing a brother priest through the courts is not the best way to go.

However, since Fr Kane admits that he is not named in the book, we cannot call Fr Despard a “liar” for (as you appear to be claiming) saying that he was NOT referring to him (Fr Kane).

I don’t think, anyway, that we are dealing with a priest who is a “liar” or has “lied” – if anything, it may be that Fr Despard is mistaken in some of his claims, but without a thorough investigation – which is all he has ever asked for, I believe – then we’ll never know where the truth lies (pun intended as it makes me smile!)

No need to apologise over the “10 bob” – that also made me smile!

June 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

Its ok ED you have a lot on your plate but it was you who said it .Lie once fool him, lie twice -FOOL ME. here endeth the lesson .No he did not mention him by name just as I did not mention him by name you worked it out by yourself just as R.K. did.

June 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm

FOOF,

I didn’t work it out by myself. When you said there had been one priest who had spoken out, I had a recollection of quoting that in our newsletter, so I Googled it and got the newspaper report right away.

I do have a lot on my plate which, coupled with my awful memory, means I’m not always as quick on the uptake as I should be. However, if anyone wishes to offer me a bribe, I can promise you I will be very quick on the uptake!

June 30, 2014 at 12:42 am
      • Faith of Our Fathers

Also in your ref as not taking him through the courts surely you must know that is the main reason this manuscript was withdrawn from the public domain as with every transcript printed and sold a law suit can be filed against same .That E.D. in anyones language adds up to a lot of scuedos .

June 29, 2014 at 11:05 pm

FOOF,

Father had self-published. Amazon removed his book from sale – I don’t think Father did that. And since the one and only defence against a defamation suit is that the claims are true, I can’t see that Fr D would have been unduly worried.

June 30, 2014 at 12:44 am
      • Frankier

FOOF

What made that particular priest think Fr. Despard was referring to him if he wasn`t named? Could the bonnet have fitted him as well as the `someone else`?

Anyway, maybe he was referring to someone else. We have tg take his word for it since he is the only one who knows.

If a person who tells one lie loses all credibility then there
        can`t be many people left on this planet whom you could trust and that includes a lot of the clergy. Would you keep going to listen to your parish priest if you found out he had told a wee fib?

June 30, 2014 at 11:35 am
      • Miles Immaculatae

Have you ever been slandered, harassed and bullied? Your inability to identify and empathise with the victim, and your blind, naive support for the hierarchy, makes you appear very cold hearted indeed to the ordinary people who read this blog. Very cold hearted.

June 30, 2014 at 12:36 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

Obviously you put your mouth in print before activating your brain .This book was removed for one reason and one reason only there were to many lets just say so as to get through to you irregularities if there were not so the same manuscript would not have been withdrawn. As for the one whom you call THAT PRIEST after Fr Despard had made the accusations and then admitting they were wrong he tried to backtrack on what had been printed .Just to let you know the meaning of truth -1 The state of being true 2 That which is true 3 Fact or belief that is accepted as true. Here Endeth The Lesson. And no I would not trust a priest again who told me a lie -White or otherwise.

June 30, 2014 at 5:33 pm
  • Miles Immaculatae

When Marcial Maciel was finally brought to justice after many decades, despite the absolute ineptitude of John Paul II and the ecclesial authorities, he was sent to a Catholic monastery to pray and do penance i.e. he wasn’t homeless, he was allowed to live in church property, he wasn’t threatened with destitution, and he was permitted to live out his last days in the security of religious community.

Father Despard who has never been implicated in any sort of scandal contra sextum , is afforded no such privilege. The hypocrisy is outrageous.

June 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm

It is precisely that fact – that Fr Despard has committed no crime – that makes his case so singularly shocking. He is being punished for – at worst – an instance of bad judgment in publishing his book.

Yet, people with brains switched on are much more concerned about whether or not the allegations IN his book have been thoroughly investigated and whether all necessary action taken against those found to be homosexually active. Are any of them going to be evicted?

We’re already on record with sympathy for anyone unjustly accused or alluded to in Fr Despard’s book but the onus is on those individuals, if any innocent individuals have been named or are in any way identifiable, to come forward to deny the claims. Until that happens, I, personally, am not convinced that Fr Despard’s allegations are without foundation and for the safety of souls, we need to know that, or more accurately, those faithful attending Masses in the Diocese of Motherwell need to know that.

June 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm
  • Pat Langan

If Motherwell have priests to spare! we are very short of priests, why not ask Archbishop Cushley if he will welcome him!

June 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm
    • Summa

Could they not shuffle Father Despard around the parishes for a few years?
      No, that would mean he would have to be a sexual deviant, worthy of protection.
      But seriously, doesn’t the Diocese have a duty to care for all their priests, evev the ones who uphold their vows?

June 29, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Summa,

Well said. The bishop absolutely has a duty of care towards all of his priests, but you know an elderly priest in England, now deceased, once told me that when the new Mass was introduced, he asked permission to keep offering the old rite, and said he could not in conscience switch to the new. He was turfed out with little to no practical support, his bishop adding, for good measure, that if he had been leaving to marry, the diocese would have helped him more. How’s that for “mercy” and “charity”? In the end, a kind family gave him a room. I’m dreading my own judgment, but, if there’s any justice at all in this world and the next, I’ll be within earshot of at least one bishop on Judgement Day. Hands poised, ready to applaud. Am I a bad girl, or what? 😀

June 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm
  • sixupman

The perfidy of the hierarchies knows no bounds. A priest of my acquaintance has been rendered a virtual vagrant by the action of his [then] bishop under pressure from the diocesan bureaucrats and priestly mafia. His clerical mortal sin? Not heresy; not sexual deviancy, but, creating a Traditional parish – much to the admiration of his congregation. It appears other bishops are reluctant to utilise his undoubted talents.

Another priest I know, was so victimised, for his views ,that, upon semi-retirement, he refused to live in a presbytery and obtained a council flat. The geographical area in which he operated and that which has now been disclosed, leads one to suspect Traditional leaning views was not the sole reason for him to adopt a lonely existence.

June 29, 2014 at 8:11 am
  • antivatican2

Not surprisingly, Bishop Toal is a big fan of the travsty that is Medjugorje. That this money making scam was started by “priest” that was suspended by his bishop, and that the principal “seer” in this scam has been caught out in her lies so many times, and that by saying Our Blessed mother told her that all relgions are the same thing thereby declaring herself not merely as a heritic but an apostate also. This seems not to bother Bishop Toal at all.

This site gives an in depth analysis of this mockery far far better than I could

With the arrival of “Chrislam”, the One World Religion (its first temple is to be bulit in Berlin) I fear it will not be long before we see Francis giving it his approval, giving credence to something worthy of none.

For reader unfamliiar with “Chrislam, a google search will bring up what they are all about

Worrying times indeed for the Church of Christ.

June 29, 2014 at 12:44 pm

AntiVatican2,

I will study the link later, but this is just to touch base and say how disgraceful it is of Bishop Toal to, as you rightly say, encourage the Medjugorje hoax. We reported this scandal in a recent edition of our newsletter.

“Chrislam” is a new one on me – chilling to think the one world religion fantasy is becoming reality before our very eyes (well, for folk who live in Berlin, that is!)

Yes, indeed, “worrying times”. We need to constantly remind ourselves that God sent Our Lady to forewarn us of the crisis to come – Quito, Fatima and Akita spring to mind. Otherwise, we’d all be giving up in despair.

June 29, 2014 at 10:57 pm
  • Theresa Rose

Pursuing Father Despard through the courts to have him evicted is appalling. Is it the Bishop’s thinking that this is the easier route, instead of investigating to determine the truth of the allegations.

Certainly Father Despard needs our prayers, as do all of the Hierarchy.

June 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm
    • della

ask him if he wants the curry powder and pepper back he put it on the doors to fall on innocent victims.A new African priest is covering at St John ogilvie’s he threw his clothes out while he was out visiting,thats the wonderful fr despard for you,sadly you are seeing him through rose coloured glasses,the house is not his neither is the church but he believes its his,have you also noticed the press is always involved with his crocodile tears,sorry I know him too well to have any sympathy,please pray for the truth to come and for peace for those whose lives have been destroyed and that forgiveness in time could be given

July 24, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Della,

Unfortunately, there have been so many lies spread around about Fr Despard, that we now take all such allegations with a pinch of salt – or should that be “curry powder”.

You see, I hear quite different stories about Fr Despard from the stories put abroad by those who are his sworn enemies. I hear that he has offered to help the visiting priests but been spurned. Those of his supporters who keep in touch with me, are not fanatical types, they are very balanced and only interested in justice. They have not painted a picture of Father Perfect. They simply recognise – as do we, here at Catholic Truth – that there is something rotten in the Church in Scotland when a priest who has committed no crime, is guilty of nothing more than – at worst – having been less than wise in publishing his book, albeit in frustration and after years of seeking to have his concerns addressed using the correct channels, should be ostracised and treated as if he were guilty of the most heinous criminal activity. That’s not fair, is it?

Priests who have, indeed. committed crimes have been protected by their bishops, and even promoted! One known child abuser in the Diocese of Galloway found himself fiercely defended by Bishop Maurice Taylor, now retired, and living in a very nice little home, purchased for him by the Church authorities – a bit like Cardinal O’Brien now living in “exile” in a beautiful bungalow in the north of England, with regular visitors from Scotland keeping him company and all thanks to the generosity of the Mass-going congregations of the Archdiocese of St Andrew’s and Edinburgh, whose money is funding his very comfortable, thank you very much, lifestyle. Yip, thanks to dear old Archbishop Leo Cushley, the cardinal can sit back and enjoy his carefree retirement while Fr Despard faces eviction for exposing some of the rot within the Diocese of Motherwell. Not fair, is it? Has Fr Despard really done anything so serious as to merit such draconian treatment?

Tell me this, Della. Would you not prefer to see a thorough and open investigation into the allegations made by Fr Despard rather than see him pursued through the courts, with his bishop using legal routes to evict him from his home and parish?

You refer to people whose lives have been destroyed – I don’t know of any, but I can’t see that Fr Despard is exactly enjoying a life of Reilly himself right now. As for the parish house not belonging to him. That is of course true but Fr Despard is a priest of the Diocese of Motherwell, available for work in his designated parish but his bishop is preventing him from working. And, incidentally, has not paid him his due monies since November. So, all in all, the facts, I’m afraid, do not stack up in favour of the diocesan authorities. Quite the reverse.

So, yes, of course, we must pray for the truth to come out, and for justice for all concerned, not least, Fr Despard.

God bless.

July 25, 2014 at 12:24 am

Della,

I am reliably informed that the African priest has not been staying at the parish house. Patrick, the gentleman who is keeping us informed of the court proceedings, told me that he had spoken personally to the African priest a while back: when Patrick said it was a pity he wasn’t staying at the house so that the people could get to know him better, the priest nodded, before driving off.

So, looks like the porky pies continue…. Don’t believe anything you hear, Della. Unless you read it here!

July 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm
      • della

what does it take to get rid of this despicable man,patrick I despise this man and I am grateful for another priest to come and say mass,mass is now being offered on a Friday now ,in fr despards day it was tues wed and thurs only so do not preach to me Patrick I am not leaving the parish because of him I was there years before he was,I also think he has problems with his own sexuality and is projecting his guilt on others

July 25, 2014 at 9:51 pm
      • Summa

You think? Do you have any evidence? Would you enlighten us?

Otherwise, you might be construed as beginning to sound quite bitter and uncharitable, slanderous even.

July 25, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Summa,

This “you have problems with your own sexuality, thus you are projecting your guilt onto others” is the nonsense routinely churned out by homosexuals to fend off criticisms of their homosexual behaviour. It’s a crackpot approach. Imagine every policeman who questions a suspected thief being told that he has problems with his own temptations to steal, hence his “discrimination” of robbers… the country would collapse in a heap of hilarity. It’s patent nonsense.

So, it’s very interesting to find Della, who presents here as a parishioner of Fr Despard’s, and, emphatically, one of those who clearly do not include him on their Christmas card list, using this tried and tested form of (ridiculous) attack.

We can now dismiss Della’s “concerns” as being nothing more than typically homosexual fury in the face of any challenge to that objectively gravely sinful behaviour.

I’ll now await the screams of “homophobia” in something less than fear and trembling 😀

July 25, 2014 at 11:14 pm
      • della

I am not Homosexual and I do not jump on that bandwagon,each to there own but I do not agree with civil partnerships or marriages as that’s taking things to far. Your opinion of fr despard differs a lot from mine I am waiting for the day for him to stand up in court and prove his accusations and for him to tell a bishop to fxxx off and a poof his own words,a total lack of respect to his superior,or do you have some excuse for him,victim hard done to,its a pity you could not speak to some of the people he treated badly as I said before it was long before the book was published

July 25, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Della,

If you are not homosexual, then I would advise you not to use their language and arguments. Every Catholic MUST oppose homosexual activity so for Father Despard to speak out about it when he has witnessed it within the Church, is something we should be pleased about, not accuse HIM of being a suppressed homosexual. That’s what the “gay lobby” does so anyone who plays that game has to be prepared for people to think they are homosexual too.

As for the rest of your post. The Fr Despard issue is not about whether or not he was a popular (or even a good) parish priest. He may not have been. That’s not the issue. The issue is that he is being treated badly for publishing a book exposing some of the homosexuality within the diocese of Motherwell. That’s wrong.

His claims should have been investigated by Bishop Devine when they were first put to him – then none of this would have happened.

The fact that Bishop Devine chose not to do so, puts him well and truly in the frame and lends support to Fr Despard’s claims about the Bishop himself.

You need to distance yourself from your personal opinion about him as PP and look objectively at the current situation. SHOULD he be evicted from his home and suspended from priestly ministry, given that others, who have in fact committed crimes, are protected and even promoted. That is not fair.

I don’t think our current crop of politicians are good at their jobs, but I would support their right to expose corruption and if anyone tried to evict THEM from their homes and jobs because they exposed corruption in Parliament I would see that as an injustice. By all means the Bishop has the right to move Fr Despard to some other priestly task just as the voters have the right to oust the politicians, but to use unsavoury and unjust means to do so is reprehensible.

July 26, 2014 at 10:33 am

Della

To despise any human being is to depart from the teaching of the Gospels. We are told to despise sin but not the sinner. I suggest you reflect very seriously on the statements you’re making in public, especially about a priest.

September 25, 2016 at 4:53 pm
      • Stephen O'Neill

Comment removed

September 25, 2016 at 5:22 pm
      • Stephen O'Neill

Comment removed

September 25, 2016 at 3:39 pm
  • Frankier

Why is Bishop Toal and his like not as ruthless when they are being taken to the cleaners on the STV and BBC Scotland programmes on a regular basis?

Political flyweights like the wee man from Sodom, Patrick Harvie, who reminds me of a screwmouse, and COS ministers are allowed to run rings around so-called Vatican Experts and SCO editors to the extent that you have to switch off to cut short your embarrassment when watching them squirm.

It`s the old story of course; they carefully select their victims.

June 29, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Frankier,

That’s an excellent point. Excellent. They’re like all bullies, as you say, carefully selecting their victims.

I recall one TV interview where Archbishop Conti was being quizzed and questioned by a known homosexual interviewer, whose name escapes me at the moment, and the Communications Officer or whatever his daft title is, was whispering the answers “off stage” – truly you couldn’t make it up.

June 29, 2014 at 3:38 pm
  • Spero

What you would hope is that we would have learned by now that by whispering in corners, by sharing our experiences, with regard to the Catholic Church and it’s priests, we gain nothing except the affirmation that others have fought, tried, lost, and settled for not a lot being done.
    And that is fine. Because you know what? Only a few ever know.
    Father Despard did the most awful thing. He went public.
    So they can’t lean on him any more to force him to do what is wanted. The deed is done. So cast him out.
    OK. But what about the priests who have railed against the Papacy, the magisterium and the teachings of the Church for years?
    Justice has to be seen to done.
    The criterion for being found guilty should not be whether one had broken rank and written a book; but whether the elements within that book contain even a vestige of truth.

June 29, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Spero,

Well said. I have been suffering again, today, the rantings of the Aberdeen based Leeds priest Mgr Basil Loftus who must be, not only one of the nastiest people on the face of the earth, but one of the UK’s top priest-heretics. In the clear knowledge that he threatened to sue a priest in England for permitting a blogger to call him a heretic, I emphasise: Mgr Loftus must be one of the UK’s top priest-heretics.

Thanks to the confidence given to his ilk by Papa Francis, he is getting more brazen by the nano-second in his attacks on the Church, repeatedly referring to the sacred vestments as “carnival costumes” and expressing his hopes that the Catholic Church will soon be accepting of the divorced and remarried, and, of course, of homosexuality.

Whatdyethink – any chance of HIM being evicted?

About as much chance as there is of li’l ole me being appointed the first female Pastoral Assistant at the nearest SSPX chapel. There’s simply no justice in this world…

June 29, 2014 at 10:34 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

ED we may disagree on some things but av never heard of said Priest you refer to I also certainly think as you do that too many of them think they are in show business we don’t go to MASS to be entertained. Also tell this clown priest if he wants to be in a carnival he should join a circus .I MUCH SUSPECT though you have already told him so .Take care keep up the good work God Bless and goodnight.

June 30, 2014 at 12:37 am
    • Helen

Spero, you said:

“What about those who are still acting as priests who were in in involved loosely or closely with Cardinal O’Brien?”

Let me tell you that I know of at least one of them who is being supported by the Aberdeen diocese, Also, he is living openly with a homosexual vicar and participating in C of E worship. So how come Fr. Despard or the other ones mentioned by various people don’t get the same treatment?

I know of a group of “traditional” Catholics who would welcome him with open arms AFTER, of course, he gets re-trained with the SSPX or the FSSP.

June 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  • Graeme Taylor

I do not know enough about Father Despard ( but like most of the clergy his age and younger, they were so poorly trained), however I do have experience of Bishop Toal and the piffle he talks around “instructing” the Catholic peasantry to stand for the Sanctus, the Agnus Dei and the Blessing. So clearly not a bishop to trust in any sense.
    The protestantising of the Church by our hopeless bishops.

June 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm
  • Frankier

If Fr. Despard has to go to `sign on` he will be told that his present employers have been asking God
    for the past 100 years for recruits, so I don`t think he would even qualify for jobseekers allowance.

To qualify you have to prove that there are no vacancies available to you.

June 30, 2014 at 11:45 am
    • Miles Immaculatae

You are correct. You cannot claim JSA if you have been dismissed, suspended etc.. Only if you have been made redundant, or if your contract has expired etc.. So what is this poor man going to do? You can’t pay rent for private or social housing without getting employment and/or social security. Will bishop Toal be so cruel as to let one of his priests become formally homeless? I just hope father has relatives he can stay with, or a friend who will let him stay. It is not the kind of unstable situation a man of his age deserves to be in, when he has worked for the Church for so long. It is a bit disgusting really. Father doesn’t have any children, substantial property and savings (that I know of) to rely on. He probably never made much money from his book, if any, in fact it probably cost him. When you give up your life for the Church, you enter a ‘covenant’ with your superiors: you serve them, they protect you. I am so ashamed by my Church,

June 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm
      • Eileenanne

Is there any evidence that Bishop Toal intends cutting Fr Despard off without a cent and casting him out shivering into the snow? More than likely, Fr D has been offered alternative accommodation but for whatever reason has rejected the offer and stayed put. If he has nowhere else to go it is unlikely a court order to remove him will be granted.

I know very little about all this, and I suspect that few here know any more. If a proper investihation is being carried out about the allegations in Fr Despard’s book, it seems emminently sensible that he is not in his parish while it happens, especially as it appeared at the time that there was some division in the parish. And how can go on working alongside with his brother priests in the diocese when he has made accusations of serious impropiety against some of them? Another good reason for him to be out of the picture.

I have no idea if Fr Despard spoke the truth in his book. I have no idea what Bishop Toal is doing about it. If he has been suspended from exercising his ministry pending investigations, he has no right to remain in the parish house. If he wants the best outcome he should obey his bishop and go. Possibly his decision to stay put has hindered the investigation which he surely wants.

June 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm
      • Frankier

Eileenanne

Do these rules of yours apply only to selected priests?

They certainly don`t seem to apply to a great number of priests, bishops and cardinals who get the red carpet treatment when they ADMIT to serious sexual infidelities.

If it`s not the chance of a nice big seaside house in Dunbar it is the offer of an even nicer retreat in the Lake District or in Rome itself. I won`t mention the ones who get diocesan accommodation and a sizeable golden handshake or, to put it kindly, hush money.

The only punishment seems to be an order to say a few prayers for around six months along with some quiet reflection and you`re then back in business.

When you state “more than likely” you are putting yourself in the same position as someone like myself who knows absolutely nothing about the real situation so I think it is wise to wait and see before jumping to the defence of someone simply because he is a bishop.

June 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm
      • Eileenanne

:…I think it is wise to wait and see before jumping to the defence of someone simply because he is a bishop….

Or indeed, assuming the worst about someone for the same reason.

No-one got a nice big seaside house in Dunbar after admitting sexual wrongdoing. Cardinal O’Brien was specifically told he could NOT go ahead with his original plan to retire there.

I get far less penance than that when I confess my sins. What about you? God forgives – ANYONE who is sorry. We cannot do less.

You said to Miles:
        Do you KNOW that that has been threatened? Do you know ANYTHING of what has passed between Fr Despard and his bishop? You have already said you know nothing about this affair. Probably best to say nothing then.

June 30, 2014 at 3:38 pm
      • Helen

In that case why doesn’t the emeritus Arch. Conte vacate his house as he is no longer a serving cleric? I’ve heard that he won’t budge.

June 30, 2014 at 8:03 pm
      • Fidelis

Eileenanne,

I happen to have been in the position of knowing priests who have been unjustly treated by their bishops and who were advised by Canon Lawyers (other priests) to stay put in their home because to leave is like an admission of guilt.

I don’t share your trust in the bishops either. We’ve already had examples of priests thrown on the scrap heap because they didn’t agree with the new Mass. I think you forget that we are in a diabolical disorientation just now.

June 30, 2014 at 2:07 pm
      • Frankier

Miles

It is a disgrace that anyone, especially someone who has never been found guilty of any crime, should be thrown out into the street. It is even worse when it is someone who tried to expose the vile practices which have been going on in the Church for years now. So much for their promise of transparency.

Even prisoners released from jail after serving sentences for serious crimes get placed in rented accommodation by the authorities along with all the financial benefits that are going.

There is even the possibility that bishop Toal`s ancestors were evicted by
        notorious landlords during the clearances in Ireland so maybe he has been learning from them. At least they never claimed to be men of God.

All I can say is that he is some Christian.

No wonder the Church in this country is all but finished.

With the average age of congregations now around 55 years of age you can be sure that there won`t be much sign of a Catholic Church in Scotland in 20
        years time, especially with glorified sheriffs` officers in charge.

June 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm
      • Constantine the Great

Anyone who has a British passport, or qualifies for one, is entitled to ‘income based’ Jobseekers allowance plus housing and council tax benefit if their savings are under £16,000.00. They call it Universal Credit now, but it is all the same really. Despard would get £71.00 a week plus rent and council tax benefit (he would still have to pay the water charges of about £27.00 per month). Time he stopped moaning and got a job.

June 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

I didn’t believe this was true. But I wasn’t sure of the details, so I just looked it up. This is taken from the CAB website:

“If you are dismissed for misconduct, your income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) may not be paid for up to 26 weeks. This is called a sanction.”

You cannot claim Housing Benefit and council tax benefit unless you are claiming JSA or a related benefit, e.g. ESA, Income Support.

I think you are mistaken.

June 30, 2014 at 5:53 pm
      • Constantine the Great

He doesn’t have to worry. He will qualify for income support straight away. Everybody does if they haven’t any money. He’ll only get sanctioned if he doesn’t look for a job. Anyway, I imagine PM will use her influence to get him taken in by SSPX before that happens. Or a high rise in Kirkintilloch awaits Despard otherwise.

June 30, 2014 at 8:51 pm

CTG,

Having read your two contributions to this thread, I am reminded of your (big time) support for homosexuality so your lack of sympathy for Fr Despard is hardly surprising. Anyway, thanks for stopping by. Don’t let us keep you…

June 30, 2014 at 10:23 pm
      • Constantine the Great

Stop bullying or I will report you to Damian Thompson.

July 1, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Shucks, thanks.

July 2, 2014 at 9:32 am
      • Miles Immaculatae

I am not sure who PM is, but if you are referring to Editor, she will likely be bemused by the influence you are ascribing to her. Fr D could only become a society priest if he himself voluntarily approaches them. I am not sure how Editor will make him do that because living the Traditional orientation is not so arbitrary as that, it is something that will come to as the Spirit guides him. We do not know that he is Traditional.

Joining the SSPX is not so simple. It would involve learning all the Traditional Rites, relocating, becoming familiar with a new administration, moving away from old ties and forging new ones, improving his linguistic skills (so many poorly formed post council clergy don’t know Latin, contrary to canon law), having to undergo interviews, probably having to travel to travel to Menzingen several times. Essentially, it’s not that simple a solution.

Nevertheless, I would thoroughly recomend Fr D do such.

June 30, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Miles,

Do you agree with me that God gave me those initials because He means me to be Prime Minister some day?

July 1, 2014 at 4:36 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Well, you’d certainly be a formidable force for the opposition leader to reckon with at PM’s Questions Time.

July 1, 2014 at 5:14 pm
      • Frankier

Constantine the Great

What horrible, unchristian comments from you.

Editor: Frankier, I’ve altered your comment a little, but left the sense of it. Believe me, I understand your frustration with this blogger who is one of a minority who only comes on here to insult and attack us, but we need to remember that golden house-rule – no personal remarks. Just because someone’s an idiot and lacks any sense of what it means to be a Catholic, doesn’t mean we have to say so 😀

So be good – we don’t need him; he will disappear again for a while, but we do need you so unless you want to crash right down that payscale, the dizzy heights of which you have now reached, be careful – be nice, albeit through gritted teeth 😀

July 1, 2014 at 12:26 am
      • Frankier

The only problem I have with my vast pay at the moment is the tax you are deducting.

Any chance I could get paid through an EBT?

July 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Frankier,

😀 😀 😀

When I find out what an EBT is, you’ll be paid that way for sure!

July 1, 2014 at 4:34 pm
      • Frankier

Ed.

Just watch you don`t go the same way as the last lot that used Employee Benefit Trusts.

They had/and still have HMRC on their tail.

If you still don`t know maybe you could ask one of your brothers.

July 1, 2014 at 8:19 pm
      • Eileenanne

If Fr Despard is moaning, he isn’t doing it publicly.

June 30, 2014 at 7:29 pm
      • Constantine the Great

No, he just wrote a book and published it on the world wide web.

June 30, 2014 at 10:26 pm
      • Miles Immaculatae

Do we live in some kind of totalitarian state now?

July 1, 2014 at 12:47 am
  • Crouchback

My old man ….God Bless him, had hours of endless fun with Bishops names…..

Allow me to carry on this venerable family tradition by from now on referring to the Bishop of Motherwell as Bishop Hoal…..Motherwell was a complete dump, Bishop Hoal is just the man to transform it in to a complete …..wait for it……Hole.

June 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm
  • Frankier

O for those days of yore
    The days that have gone before
    When the only sin a priest would commit
    Would be to ask for the Celtic score

June 30, 2014 at 2:25 pm
  • Eileenanne

So what happened in court? Is Fr Despard bedding down in a Hamilton doorway as we speak?

June 30, 2014 at 10:47 pm

There’s no report that I can find on the internet so one waits and one wonders…

June 30, 2014 at 11:21 pm
  • Helen Duddy

When Bishop Toal put in place the restrictions on Father Despard in Nov13 part of these included that he was not permitted to celebrate Holy Mass or any other sacraments within the Motherwell diocese in public, or indeed in the presence of a congregation in a private house or any other small gathering. This was stated in correspondence handed out to all parishioners in Nov13. This then meant he was not permitted to engage with any of the public, even to the extent of the different groups he had set up in the parish. He was also restricted from attending the yearly January holiday that he had been organising for over the last 6years, as he would have been seen to be fraternising with the public. Before anyone asks he did request permission from Bishop Toal to be permitted to attend as on these holidays he is his fathers carer. He was refused so it also meant that his parents could not partake of the holiday either. These are just some of the injustices we see as been carried out against Father D. The question we have asked is why is he not allowed to appoint a lawyer of his choice for any investigation that the church wish to carry out. All we ask for is an open case where we can see justice being carried out, we like everyone else would accept the findings of the court. Is this so wrong.

June 30, 2014 at 11:21 pm
    • Eileenanne

Helen,

The restrictions placed on Fr Despard seem to be entirely consistent with what one would expect for a priest suspended from ministry.

Summa,

It is extremely unlikely that Fr Despard has been condemned to the streets. If I thought for a minute that his bishop had not offered alternative accommodation I would be first in line to denounce him.

July 1, 2014 at 7:42 am
  • Summa

I’m not shocked at all, but rather saddened, in the manner that some people can blithely condemn to the streets, a Parish Priest who has given up his life for the catholic community he served and guided. Oh so little tolerance and pity!
    But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you:
    That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven, who maketh his sun to rise upon the good, and bad, and raineth upon the just and the unjust.
    For if you love them that love you, what reward shall you have? do not even the publicans this?
    And if you salute your brethren only, what do you more? do not also the heathens this?
    Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect.
    Matthew 5:44-48

July 1, 2014 at 3:52 am
    • Eileenanne

Oh so little tolerance and pity!

We don’t know that. We know nothing of what has passed between priest and bishop, and nor should we. At this stage confidentiality is entirely appropriate.

July 1, 2014 at 7:44 am
      • Summa

Eileenanne
        I’m referring to a couple of uncharitable, blasé and cold comments above, about what is a critical moment in a Priest’s life. A priest who obviously cares about the scandal in Scottish Catholicism.

July 1, 2014 at 8:13 am
      • Eileenanne

Sorry. I misunderstood.

July 1, 2014 at 8:36 am
      • Summa

No bother. Don’t mention it.

July 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

There is still no report online about the court case yesterday, so unless someone else has more success – I only had time for a quick one-off Google – we’ll have to wait a bit longer to learn the outcome. I would offer a pay rise to the first blogger to find an update for us, but what with all these austerity cuts, we’re having to keep a close eye on the pay bill here at Catholic Truth :grin:.

July 1, 2014 at 9:01 am

No luck for me either Editor!

Case was definitely listed on the Sherriff Court agenda for Mon 30th June, here:

The RT. REV Joseph – v – Father Matthew Des
      SD377/14
      BLM
      Fagans

Its in one of the sections headed “Sherriff unallocated”.

And no judgement has been published here:

(I presume this result would be published, as it would meet the “particular public interest” criteria given).

I wonder if the lack of news suggests that either:

– no Sherriff was found to hear the case (“unallocated”) and so it has been postponed; or
      – it has “run on” / no judgement yet reached (?)

I think the “BLM” and “Fagans” mentioned are the solicitors involved. There is a Fagans solicitors in nearby Airdrie and I presume BLM is the Diocese’s representatives (sounds like a swanky major law firm).

July 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Thanks Gabriel,

After Googling to see if there was a report anywhere, I did try Hamilton Sheriff Court but couldn’t see anything. I eventually found the reference on your link, way down the page, so thanks for that. Will see what I can do about that pay rise, austerity cuts notwithstanding 😀

July 2, 2014 at 9:38 am
      • Confitebor Domino

Gabriel

BLM are Berrymans Lace Mawer LLP – a large and, presumably, expensive firm specializing in insurance and dispute resolution. I think it’s safe to assume they are representing the bishop not Fr Despard!

Funnily enough, their motto is ‘Clear, Concise, Connected’ – three words that you could not possibly apply to the output of the post-VII Church 😀

July 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm