Growing Concern Among ‘Mainstream’ Catholics About Pope Francis…

Growing Concern Among ‘Mainstream’ Catholics About Pope Francis…

Pope FrancissmilesFr Blake says that in order to maintain the unity of the Church loyalty to the pope is now best expressed through silence. I fear he may be right

We are in such an atmosphere of uncertainty that even Jane Fonda can love the pope because she thinks he hates dogma: something has to give.  Read more

The above Catholic Herald blog attracted my interest for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, I have today received an email from a gentleman in England who has been a reader of our newsletter for years now, but has not been one hundred per cent with us, if you get my drift.  Thanks to the words and behaviour of “Holy Father Francis”, however, he has come out of his “papolatry coma” so to speak.  Secondly, the author of the above Catholic Herald blog is William Oddie a tried and trusted papolatrist if ever one existed.  So,  I consider the above blog to be  a very hopeful sign indeed.  That more and more Catholics in the ‘non-traditional’ category are waking up and smelling the crisis in the Church, now largely focused on this pontificate, is very encouraging indeed, even if they have some way to go. Silence, remember, is one of the ways in which we participate in the sin of another.  Still, I think this tentative admission that we have a very worrying pope at the helm, is a step in the right direction. That’s how it looks to me, anyway – let’s hear what you think…

• editor Reply

Here we have Fr Lombardi telling us that the latest interview captures the “spirit” of the conversation between Scalfari and the Pope but is not necessarily accurate in all of the details, or words to that ridiculous effect.

Is nobody in the Vatican telling the Pope that he’s really making a fool of himself (and the papacy) by his off the cuff remarks which are causing widespread confusion and dismay around the Catholic world?

Let’s just hope and pray that nobody asks him what he thinks of today’s decision by the Anglicans to “ordain” women bishops. Oh please. Do NOT ask him that…

July 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm
  • pew catholic Reply

Good heavens! Is Pope Francis likely to agree with my notoriously dissenting view on that subject?

July 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm
    • editor Reply

Pew Catholic,

Although he’s said “no” in another interview, with every day that dawns, one holds one’s breath.

In any case, he’s never heard of the principle of non-contradiction so he might, who knows, send his congratulations to the CofE after today’s news. Remember, he sought the “blessing” of the non-ordained Justin Welby – and that in front of the world’s media – so why not welcome the non-ordination of sister-“bishops” for dear ole Justin?

Who was it first said LOL ? Prophetic words, for sure 😀

July 14, 2014 at 8:30 pm
  • editor Reply

A reader sent me this piece challenging the numbers of priests who are paedophiles given by “Holy Father Francis” to the atheist interviewer, Scalfari (as if he needs more help than he’s already getting from fellow atheists to attack the Church). Anyway, the author of the piece, published on Rorate Caeli, asks the very interesting question, “who is giving the Pope these (2%) numbers?

July 15, 2014 at 10:38 am
    • Joseph Hannely Reply

These interviews with Scalfari are following a format as my Psychologist friend pointed out to me. 1. Scalfari reoprts exactly what Francis said. 2 The Vatican changes that to soothe the laity. 3. a week later Scalfari says he was using his Journalistic licence.

Francis is communicating his intention’s (whatever they are) through La Republica to a specific group of people, and that as its readership is Communist/Atheist, we have to ask why and to what end?

July 15, 2014 at 11:37 am
  • Joseph Hannely Reply

Given the havoc that Francis has wrought on the Church in a remarkably short space of time, my greatest fear now is that he and his minions somehow remove the Ottaviani Intervention, which prevented and still prevents the Modernists destroying the Church. I had heard of this intervention but had no idea what or why it came about. After downloading a copy and reading it, I can only say I was horrified at what Paul VI and his followers intended to do ie to reduce the Blessed Sacrament and the Holy Sacrifice to that of a Protestant memorial service! Francis is already on record as saying he considers himself to be more Christian than Catholic (a truly alarming statement) and you have to wonder how did he ever become Pope? Petrus wonders if he is a Catholic, I share that concern. His remarks on Dogma and Doctrine are not those that are expected from a Pontiff. As our Editor remarks, we wait daily to see what he comes out with next. If he holds to form, it will be worse than what preceded it.

July 15, 2014 at 11:16 am
  • Jobstears Reply

This Pope just does not give up- scandalizing the faithful. I don’t see how it is possible to write off the damage he is causing as unintentional. His off the cuff remarks are not really thoughtless, they are toxic little darts that shoot the poison into the body of the Church, and no matter what the Vatican officials say to soothe the laity, the poison remains to do its work. How else can you explain the eager anticipation with which Catholics await the promised changes in the Church? I am not exaggerating, Catholics and non Catholics, actually believe the Church is going to soften her teaching on divorce, cohabiting and acceptance of ‘alternate-lifestyles’. I’ve heard from Catholic and Protestant friends that they are looking forward to the Pope doing something about the celibate priesthood since he assured the world that this practice could be changed.

Is this part of the new evangelization? To draw people to the ‘new Church’? I’m starting to think it is.

July 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm
  • jobstears Reply

This Pope just doesn’t give up- scandalizing the faithful! I agree with Joseph Hannely’s friend about the Pope knowing exactly what he is doing.

I don’t see how his off the cuff remarks can be thoughtless. They are toxic little darts that he shoots into the body of the Church, and no matter what the Vatican officials say to soothe the laity, the poison remains to do its work. How else can we explain the eager anticipation with which Catholics await the changes in the Church? They actually believe the Church will soften, if not change, her teaching on marriage, divorce, contraception, ‘alternate life-styles’ and the celibate priesthood ! I’ve had Protestant friends tell me they are looking forward to the changes this Pope will make in the priesthood, they of course, knew all along that a celibate priesthood is just something the Church introduced, it’s not scriptural so it’s not God-given, and now, thanks to this Pope, Catholics are finally being enlightened!

Editor, I am looking for the nearest sand-box! 😀

July 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm
    • Margaret Mary Reply

Jobstears,

I couldn’t agree with you more. This Pope is really scandalous and I am inclined to agree with Joseph that he knows exactly what he is doing.

It is also disturbing how many Catholics are defending him and looking forward to seeing what changes come after the October Synod. I know he can’t change the teaching of the Church but he has a knack of making it seem that he has.

July 15, 2014 at 8:33 pm
      • jobstears

Sorry, I don’t see how the post that refused to show up the first time I posted it, appeared of its own accord much later 😳

July 17, 2014 at 3:32 pm
  • editor Reply

American commentator, Christopher Ferrara, has penned this excellent article on what he describes as this final phase of the crisis in the Church under the most liberal pope ever – and he cites William Oddie’s article as an example of how the “neo-Catholic” world is, at last, coming to grips with the truth of the matter. He concludes, happily, by agreeing that “silence” is not an option for “traditional” Catholics, quoting “It is better that scandals should arise, than that the truth be suppressed”, attributing the quote to St Augustine, although I believe it’s from a homily of St Gregory the Great (but who’s to say they BOTH didn’t say the same thing! Whoever said it, it’s true – with bells on!)

July 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm
  • editor Reply

And now that Papa Francis has put the 2% guesstimate out there, abuse support groups are claiming the number is much higher. Laugh or cry, folks?

July 17, 2014 at 7:01 pm
  • Joseph Hannely Reply

Thank you for that excellent article. At last people are beginning to wake up to what Francis is doing. The Church he is Building has nothing to do with Our Lord Jesus Christ. Some time ago, after Francis’s remarks about “too much focus on abortion” my Wife said “I never liked that man. There is something about him that is not right. He seems out to overturn what we have had for 2000 years.” Not wishing to be melodramatic, I cant help but recall what St. Francis of Assisi told his followers.

“Some preachers will keep silence about the truth, and others will trample it under foot and deny it. Sanctity of life will be held in derision even by those who outwardly profess it, for in those days Jesus Christ will send them not a true Pastor, but a destroyer.”

It pains me to say this, but that is the position we find ourselves in today. Its the young people I fear for most. No proper Religious Education at school, leaves the dangerously open to being lead astray ,

July 17, 2014 at 7:47 pm
    • editor Reply

Joseph,

Your wife clearly has a good strong Catholic sense. She (and you) will be interested to read this open letter to the Pope written by someone who knew him in Argentina. There are a number of things which jumped out at me, not least her assertion that he seems to want to be “different” from every other pontiff in history. Worrying.

And you are correct about the young people being led astray. I think that’s why more and more families are home-schooling (not always possible, I know) and turning to the Society of Saint Pius X for the Mass and sound sermons.

July 17, 2014 at 9:48 pm
      • Summa

That is a powerful letter. Very sad but true.

July 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm
  • Joseph Hannely Reply

Thank you again for another excellent link I have saved the url and will forward it to other concerned friends. What jumped out of the page was this..”you were the only one there that did not genuflect before the tabernacle or during the Consecration”, Clearly he does not believe in the True Presence, or that such a thing as the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity is a Dogma of the Faith. Hence his remarks regarding “Too much Dogma.” So it is only a matter of time before we hear him proclaim “Communion for all! God lives in everybody” hear him say “It is whatever you want it to be”

Some years ago I read The Craft and the Cross by Ian Gordon, he renounced Freemasonary and gave an insight to the Masonic Rosicrucian Black Mass, where the “host” used in this abomination is a Cream Cracker! So, it could be a statue of Buddha as placed on the altar by JP2, or a beach ball, or a football jersey! Basically anything you want.

We are racing ahead to whatever lies ahead with each day that passes.

July 17, 2014 at 10:28 pm
    • Margaret Mary Reply

Joseph Hannely,

I agree about that open letter. It is very powerful in bits.

I think you are right about us racing ahead to whatever lies ahead. We are in the end times, that is certain. Even Pope John Paul II said so as did Pope Benedict. Things are much worse now, so we should prepare.

July 17, 2014 at 11:33 pm
      • Joseph Hannely

Margaret Mary
        I agree with you, we are in the end times. Our Lady said the only weapons we will have are the Scapular and the Rosary. The crisis in the middle east and Ukraine bring us closer too WW 3 each day that passes. Our Lady told Sister Sasagawa that the living would envy the dead if the world did not turn back to God. I need to pray a lot more, and often.

July 18, 2014 at 12:55 am
  • editor Reply

Look at this – Pope Francis telephoning the political leaders in Israel to “ask for peace” – from planting daft trees (nothing personal to the trees) to political activism (which is what these telephone calls represent) this pontiff seems determined to snub Our Lady of Fatima.

July 19, 2014 at 10:14 am
  • mikidiki Reply

Here is another interesting letter and commentary.

July 19, 2014 at 11:46 pm
    • Joseph Hannely Reply

It would fit Francis better to sort out his own counties problems before meddling in the affairs of others. Recently he spoke on food wasteage. And he is doing his part in preventing any in the Vatican. Since becoming Pontiff he has put on 20 lbs in weight!

July 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Joseph,

So, Papa Francis has put on weight since becoming pontiff… Interesting. At one time I’d have had that, at least, in common with him, but not now (thankfully!)

Thanks for the tip. I must beware of lamenting food wastage from now on 😀

July 20, 2014 at 4:21 pm
  • mikidiki Reply

Here is another report about slum priests:-
    http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-Argentina-slum-priests-20130806-dot-html story/html

July 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm
    • editor Reply

Mikidiki,

The only reports I could find via Google (after checking that your link doesn’t work) were in praise of the “slum priests” – all politically flavoured – but here’s a very interesting extract from a Christian Order editorial (Rod Pead, editor, wrote three, I think, editorials on the subject, devastating to the papolatrist’s eye):

From Christian Order:

Those who cannot countenance a charge of treason would at least agree that it all added up to a simple, devastating equation: linguistic sell out + quizzical one-liner = “mess.” As the Vanity Fair piece highlighted, it gifted the media all manner of tantalising possibilities and conclusions.

Israel’s Haaretz.com, for one,announced that Francis had “departed from the document of his predecessor, Benedict XVI, declaring that men with deep homosexual tendencies cannot be priests.” Neo-conservatives would wave away this juxtaposition of the merciful Francis and the pitiless Benedict as a media caricature unworthy of comment. But the implied return to lax screening of seminarians, déjà vu all over again, is not such a quantum media leap. If the Holy Father’s ‘non-judgemental’ response to the unspeakable Mgr Ricca scandal is not sufficient to raise neocon eyebrows, it is said to “pale in comparison to myriad sex scandals that the Argentine Catholics have witnessed during ‘the Bergoglio era’.” According to the following report, this included blind-eye turning in respect of his much vaunted ‘slum priests.’ In light of what has transpired since, this post-conclave blog rings true:

Francis was the perfect candidate to weaken Papacy to the point of irrelevance. I visited Argentina 2 years ago, when I was working for a Russian news agency and visited some slums in Buenos Aires to cover the work of the “curas villeros” (slum priests) in the many shanty towns of the capital. I was shocked to see that practically all those priests had concubines and had sons with them, others were openly homosexual or had transexual partners and everyone knew about this! I talked with people from the slums and asked them what did they think about this? Their answers were basically the same: “it’s OK, they love each other, they harm nobody.” I also talked with more cultured (and minoritarian) sectors of the Catholic Church in Buenos Aires who were infuriated by the situation but they were unable to do anything about it. They said they were largely outnumbered by the “populist priests.” They also told me that all the high hierarchy of the Church in Buenos Aires, Bergoglio included, were aware of the dubious morality of the slum priests.
      The author had more to say about the ruinous Bergoglian social gospel at work in the slums: “a doctrine of sterile assistentialism that leads nowhere, keeps the poor in poverty, the lazy in laziness and the sinner happy with his sins.” But leaving that aside for now, in joining up the above dots to all the rest, English blogger Mundabor concluded:

I have never been in an Argentinian slum, and can therefore not vouch for the truthfulness of what the author writes. But boy, it all makes sense.
      […] Think of Francis’ reaction when the Ricca scandal erupted. Arrogant jokes about the “gay lobby” not having an ID card, the “who am I to judge” mantra, and an astonishingly stubborn attitude in leaving an exposed sodomite at his place – and in the priesthood. Is this not the behaviour of one who has lived in the middle of homosexual priests all his priestly life, and has happily ignored their perversion and sodomitic behaviour? Is this not the behaviour of one who does not care two straws whether a priest is a sodomite, and is even unable to understand the scandal that erupts outside of his cosy world when one of his closest men is exposed as one of them? How can one otherwise explain that whilst I write this, Monsignor Ricca is still a priest undisturbed, and is even still occupying his high place? Read more here

Well? Devastating critique of Papa Francis or what?

July 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm