General Discussion (6)

General Discussion (6)

confusedIf there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here

• Helen

The poll on the Home Page: who are the trolls who seem to spend their time voting , well, in a trollish manner?

February 15, 2015 at 6:04 pm
  • Thurifer

I’m thinking about starting my own blog. I’m partly inspired by this one – Catholic Truth. I don’t know if it would be a wise idea though because I know that it may cause more headache than not. I want to reach out to more people to share Tradition. So your thoughts/advice, editor et al on blogging? Good for Catholics?

February 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Thurifer,

Go ahead. We will happily support you by linking to your posts.

Be warned, thought, that running a blog is very time consuming. Especially if you do what the majority do, and moderate every comment before releasing it for publication. From the start, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with them all and that it would slow down discussions a great deal so I opted not to moderate except to keep an eye on troublemakers and delete their personal remarks and nastiness – and in the most recent cases, to stop us going round in circles with the same questions/criticisms, already answered over and over.

Later, when we moved to this new blog, WordPress told me that it would help resolve login problems for everyone if we moderated the first comment of a new blogger, so we do that now and it does seem to make a difference. I don’t get the same number of complaints of login problems.

Running a blog can certainly be a headache. I’ve got seven comments right now in moderation all from CS, so you can expect that sort of thing, people who do not agree with you but want to disrupt and “correct” you and who just will not go away.

So, good luck to you if you choose to launch a blog. We’ll be happy to support you in any way we can. You may, on the other hand, opt instead to contribute here even more often than you do so generously, and advertise us as widely as possible. And as I’ve said from the beginning of our blog launch, anyone who wishes to submit particular topics for discussion is more than welcome to email me. That’s how we came by Petrus’s great article on Confirmation.

So, there you are – no shortage of options. There’s nothing to loose in having a go – you can always delete it if you think it’s not working out. We will support you whatever you decide.

February 18, 2015 at 8:23 pm
  • pew catholic

Editor, would you consider having fewer comments on the General Discussion threads? Those of us with slower computers take ages to reach the most recent comments. When a GD thread gets beyond, say, 300 comments, the temptation is to leave it and wait for the next GD thread to start. This is a pity, because there is some really interesting stuff in General Discussion.

Just a thought.

February 18, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Pew Catholic,

I’ve been meaning to close down the current GD thread and open the new one, but it’s been put on the back burner. Must try to do that now! So, thanks for that prompt.

And yes, we’d decided 500 maximum was OK for the GD thread but we can easily change that to 2 or 300.

Will do that – and you can let me know when you’ve managed to buy a new computer! 😀

February 18, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this General Discussion thread # 6. I am about to close it down and open GD # 7.

Thanks again to one and all.

Click here to reach the new General Discussion thread, # 7.

February 18, 2015 at 8:54 pm