General Discussion (6)

General Discussion (6)

confusedIf there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here

• cbucket

Just wanted to wish massive congratulations to Charlie Flynn who won the boxing light-welterweight Gold medal at the commonwealth games. Did anybody else notice he was wearing a scapular on the post fight interview by the BBC. He was at the SSPX school in England a few years ago when my son was there and was a really nice kid. He’s a part time postman in Motherwell and came out with some classic quotes. Here’s my favourite.

. “The mail man has delivered once again. … ”

August 4, 2014 at 10:28 am

CBucket, it would have been good to have this logged on our Commonwealth Games thread. Could I remind everyone of the statement I placed in red font at the top, that it is helpful if you would check the other threads to see if your comment is more appropriate there, before posting on the GD thread. It can lead to confusion with people discussing the same thing on different threads. It is also helpful for bloggers who are later looking for some comment or other. The obvious place to look for any comments on Charlie Flynn, for example, would be on the Commonwealth Games thread, not having to work out which of the GD threads to check.

Anyway, done now. He has done well to win gold, of course, although I find it difficult to comprehend why anyone – especially a Catholic – would find boxing an attractive sport. His family used to attend our SSPX chapel (some still do) and I believe Charlie served Mass. It was certainly good to see his brown scapular. Thanks for the video clip. Not being interested in sport (especially boxing!) I hadn’t realised he was involved and a winner. Thanks for that.

August 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm
      • mikidiki

In view of your (to me) outrageous comment regarding whether Boxing is a fit sport for Catholics to engage in, perhaps if you started a new thread (possibly adjacent to the one discussing whether watching TV is a suitable past time for Catholics) we posters could then enjoy the views of others on the merits or demerits of particular sporting activities with regard to the search for everlasting redemption.

August 4, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Mikidiki,

If you are outraged that I could possibly dislike boxing, then I’d hate to hear your reactions to my thoughts on football.

I’m perfectly happy to post a thread on the topic – certainly. Will do asap

However, I have to say that it’s quite some time since (to the best of my recollection) you blogged here so I can’t help wishing that you were half as “outraged” at some of the other important topics which have been discussed here since your last appearance, as you claim to be over my expression of a simple dislike of boxing and a certain curiosity as to why any Catholic would take pleasure in beating a fellow human being black and blue in the name of sport. But then, I am, as you must admit, a very simple gal…

August 4, 2014 at 4:41 pm
      • mikidiki

My, oh my, are not we hyper sensitive today! I must say that your ill considered response is unworthy of you.
        Of course, anyone is free to dislike any sport. My outrage was not in relation to that, it was the implication that Boxing as a sport is not a fitting past time for Catholics to participate in, either as contestants or spectators.
        You refer to your views on football. How about your opinions on whether Catholics should serve in the Armed Forces?
        Finally, for someone who constantly ( and justifiably ) urges posters to refrain from personal attacks and abuse, whether I have contributed to recent threads or not, is of no relevance to the matter in hand.
        Perhaps I have good, private reasons for my reticence. I may have been unwell, I may have been away on holiday, I may have found the topics uninspiring and somewhat negative.
        Whatever, since I have not been allocated a quota to fulfil, I shall post when and how often I choose!
        Finally, for your edification and enlightenment, I have not felt competent enough to comment upon recent topics, and so I have been following a dictum familiar to members of my family, “If you have nothing worth saying, say nothing!”
        Sometimes I wish others would adopt this maxim.

August 4, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Mikidiki,

There was nothing personal intended in anything in my post. I’m sorry you interpreted it that way and apologise unreservedly for any offence cause.

I do NOT approve of boxing but we’ll leave that for now since I will post the thread that you requested. I wonder how many other administrators would do the same? From my knowledge of the rest of them across the internet – zero. Just call me Saint Editor. (Joke)

And allow me to answer your question – if there were no soldiers on tap, there would be no wars. I’m not going to sign up for the Armed Services and then condemn war. As I say, I’m a simple gal.

Now, I have apologised for any offence caused by my response to you. There is no law which says anyone must blog at any time or in any given amount. That said, I don’t buy the “I have nothing to say, so keep silent”. There is always something to say even if merely to encourage another blogger or acknowledge the truth in one or other of the comments posted. That said, nobody is under any obligation to blog, just as we are under no obligation to provide the facility, which comes up for review annually when the WordPress fee is due. If we find that folks have nothing to say, we’ll close down.

My remark about your sudden outrage on what seems to me to be a completely unimportant (in the great scheme of things) matter but your apparent silence on others was simply an observation, of the type that crosses my mind when I receive letters attacking Catholic Truth because they dislike our “tone” from people who wouldn’t lift a pen to write to their Modernist bishops.

I should, however, have kept that thought to myself – on that we agree and so I repeat my apology for causing you offence, and I trust you will accept it in good faith.

Some time later… The new thread on boxing is now online – click here

For General Information…

Please note that I will not be commenting much in the next few days because I am racing to get the September newsletter written up and attend to various other pressing matters at the same time, to avoid being late with publication. I published the post on the papal scandals thinking it would leave me free to get on with the newsletter today, as I have a mountain of other things on my list for tomorrow and will be away from my computer part of this week.

However, I have now posted the boxing thread so am about to bury myself (say nothing 😀 )

Thank you.

August 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm
      • mikidiki

Many thanks for your gracious apology, and for setting up the new thread enabling discussion on whether Boxing is a suitable sporting activity for Catholics. Both actions are appreciated.

August 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm
  • Summa

Cbucket
    Thanks for that interesting post 🙂 I think the guy has left a stamp on Scottish sport 🙂 He has obviously being pushing the envelope during training:-) With a bit of sponsorship he could make a packet out of this 🙂 All together a first class effort 🙂

August 4, 2014 at 11:43 am
  • Frankier

Summa

If he is a Celtic fan he will probably sing Mail, Mail the Celts are here.

August 4, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I have just noticed that the SSPX has published up-to-date statistics (up to an including July 2014) as of 1st August.

Here:

In short, 589 priests (in 37 countries), 187 seminarians. A big fuss was made of them approaching the 600-priests mark recently; but with the numbers of seminarians, I don’t think it will be too long before 1,000 priests is on the horizon.

And given 2013 saw an intake of 43 1st year seminarians, when that batch completes their training the SSPX may well have its biggest number of ordinations in a single year (even if some of them drop out). The stats show that the current record is ~30 in one year, set in the mid 1980s.

(2013 also saw 16 new postulants for the Brothers; I dont know about the Sisters).

Good news! 🙂

August 6, 2014 at 11:12 pm
    • Confitebor Domino

Gabriel Syme

I don’t think it will be too long before 1,000 priests is on the horizon.

Actually a rough calculation shows that it will take about another 27 years at the current rate.

Of course, after the upcoming shenanigans in October there is a distinct possibility that the rate might increase dramatically! 🙂

August 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Really? How long does it take to train a priest? I thought about 6 years?

Thanks for the clarification in any case!

August 13, 2014 at 10:07 pm
  • Graeme Taylor

Comment removed by editor and re-posted on the Sport: Should Catholics Box thread

August 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

Here’s something to make us all smile – especially our American bloggers. A report on the pairing of Dull and Boring was featured on the local television news in Scotland yesterday. Enjoy.

August 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

I find the threads rather difficult to follow, as the posts are not in datal order but appear directly under the post one is replying to. It is just me? Am I missing something? (Please be gentle….)

August 11, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Therese,

That is, indeed, the WordPress system. If you click on “reply” your post will appear underneath the post to which you are replying, or underneath the previous reply. There’s nothing can be done about that, as far as I know. Sorry about that.

August 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm
  • Spiritus

I note where Fr. Timohty Radcliffe, OP, has been invited to preach at the National Novena in Knock, Ireland taking place between 14th and 22nd August. Fr. Radcliffe is scheduled to speak on 15th August, the feast of the Assumption, of all days!! As bloggers will be aware this is the priest who thinks that homosexual activity is acceptable and that the Church needs to revisit Her teachings on sexuality.

August 12, 2014 at 3:03 pm
    • Spiritus

Timothy Radcliffe. It is a matter of grave concern when a cleric who openly defies church teaching is invited to preach at an event of such magnitude.

August 12, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Yes, Spiritus, it is indeed a matter of grave concern but the last time we posted a blog thread on the topic of Fr Radcliffe in Ireland, very few, if any (perhaps one) person from the Emerald Isle put in an appearance to express any such “grave concern”.

He is supported by the Bishops quite openly (as evidenced by the above invitation) and with complicity by the majority of the Catholic laity. Those who – like your good self – seek to publicise such scandals are in the minority.

Anyway, thank you for drawing our attention to this latest scandal from the one-time land of saints and scholars. If you care to provide a link to the organisers’ email, we can write to express our disapproval, not that they will care a jot. Why should they? They have the Archbishop on their side, bolstered now by the election of an outright Modernist pontiff. Still, it doesn’t do any harm to keep reminding them that they are in the wrong and will have to face God at their judgment for allowing this heretic to spread his poison.

Email address if you have one, then, Spiritus, please and thank you.

August 12, 2014 at 7:22 pm
      • Spiritus

Editor, unfortunately I must agree that dissent appears to be “supported quite openly by the Catholic Bishops of Ireland and with complicity by the majority of the Catholic laity” The laity of Ireland, quite frankly, do not seem to care for the truth any more. it is very difficult to convince people of the grave consequences of words and actions which violate the Commandments of God.

August 12, 2014 at 9:01 pm
      • Spiritus

Editor, this is the link. I googled “Spirit Daily” and this was one of the topics listed therein. I am aware, however, that “Spirit Daily” is very much pro-Medugorje (which I am definitely NOT since being enlightened to the true nature of events taking place there). There is a list of speakers and events at the end of the article linked below, but I am sure that if you google “Knock Novena, 2014” or something similar you would also get a list of speakers. e-mail in separate e-mail!

August 12, 2014 at 9:08 pm
  • Pat Langan

The Requiem Mass of “Bishop”‘ Tony Palmer (Evangelical pentacostalist, friend of the Holy Father) in Bath at St John the Evangelist? Is this the first move in the convergence path? How can this have taken place? Has this really taken place?

August 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • mikidiki

Have you a link to this innovation?!

August 12, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Pat Langan,

Hardly the “first move in the convergence path” – there have been all sorts of convergence events, in the past fifty or so years. Loads. Check out any parish bulletin. Every unchallenged ecumenical event in any diocesan parish you care to name, is a walk down Convergence Path.

I’d say the novus ordo Mass may be said to have set the convergence ball rolling and its aftermath (removal of altar rails, Communion in the hand, visiting Protestants preaching in Catholic churches etc) kept it rolling. Big time.

This funeral is just the latest in a long line of scandals, just as this pope is merely the latest in the post-conciliar line of bad popes. Groups like ourselves have been pointing this out for years but only now is perhaps the bulk, if not the majority, of the faithful beginning to waken up to the reality of the horror of this crisis in the Church. To comment further on this scandal, please switch to the Papal Scandals thread. Scroll down to end, where there is a link to a report at Catholic Family News on the topic. Thank you.

August 12, 2014 at 7:26 pm
  • Confitebor Domino

Mikidiki

Editor posted a link over on the Papal Scandals thread (Aug 10 2.24 pm).

Editor: thank you for this – please comment on this scandal on the Papal Scandals thread to avoid too much duplication (almost impossible to avoid altogether with this Pope!)

August 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm
  • mikidiki

Thank you for the reference. Obviously I had missed the Editor’s link. The whole affair is a serious affront to traditional Catholicism and no doubt has set a precedent.
    Many years ago an acquaintance of mine was a lad named Raymond Bishop. He was/is not a Catholic but nevertheless I suppose he could, on current practice, qualify for a Funeral Mass. It does seem that “we are all in this together!”

August 12, 2014 at 6:58 pm
  • Spiritus

Hereunder is a copy of the letter e-mailed to Archbishop Michael Neary,bishop of Tuam in which diocese Knock Shrine is located.

I am concerned to learn that the speaker listed for the Novena in Knock on August 15th is Rev. Timothy Radcliffe, OP. Fr. Radcliffe makes no secret of his opposition to Catholic Teaching on human sexuality, most notably on homosexuality.

He has expressed the hope that Pope Francis will allow those who are divorced and in a subsequent sexual relationship to be admitted to Holy Communion. If this were to become the case the Pope would, by his words and actions be placing both his own soul and the souls of those living in a state of mortal sin in grave danger because he would be confirming sinners in their sin.

Fr. Radcliffe has admitted to presiding at Masses that were especially intended to be welcoming to gay people. The Masses in question are the infamous Soho “gay Masses” Fr. Radcliffe goes on to claim that “ There are no grounds at all for regarding these Masses as gatherings of dissenters from the Church’s teaching.”

In a 10th March 2012 article Fr. Radcliffe has stated “ This is not to denigrate commited love of people of the same sex. This too should be cherished and supported. Which is why church leaders are coming slowly to support same sex civil unions. The God of love can be present in every true love” ( in “The Tablet: can marriage ever change”)

Fr. Radcliffe expands the meaning of fertility to include gay sex: “ But not every marriage is fertile in this way. We must avoid having a mechanistic or simplistic understanding of fertility. Jesus speaks a fertile word: “This is my body, given for you” He is God’s fertile word……..when Jesus met Peter on the shore after Easter he offers him a word that renews their relationship……sexual fertility cannot be separated from the exchange of words that heal, that recreate and set free.”
    “How does all of this bear on the question of gay sexuality? We cannot begin with the question of whether it is permitted or forbidden. We must ask what it means and how far it is Eucharistic Certainly it can be generous, vunerable, tender, mutual and non violent. In many ways I would think that it would be expressive of Christ’s self gift”. (contribution to the Church of England’s review of homosexuality and gay marriage: Pilling Review, 2010)

Such views are a distortion of Catholic Teaching and of God’s Plan for human sexuality. In a marriage between a man and a woman new souls are brought into being to be educated for heaven. The spouses obtain support from each other and from God in fulfilling this onerous task. A homosexual union is intrinsically sterile.

For these reasons I believe that the inclusion of Fr. Radcliffe in the programme for the Novena is an imprudent decision which will cause grave scandal and endanger very many souls. It also gravely offends God, and His Blessed Mother, in whose honour the Annual Novena is held.

August 12, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Thanks an excellent letter Spiritus.

Radcliffe is a disgrace. I think he is about 70 and yet still manages to travel far and wide, spouting his nonsense. Basil Loftus is another aged heretic who still manages to regularly foster confusion on a large scale.

This sort – and the Kungs/Kaspers of the world – are, sadly, like ‘Duracell Bunnies’, they just seem to go on-and-on.

August 13, 2014 at 10:11 pm
      • mikidiki

Perhaps the old saying is correct — the devil looks after his own! LOL

August 13, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Can anyone help with some questions I have about St Andrews Church in Glasgow? I think its a beautiful little building and am interested in its history.

In the book “The Living Flame”, which charts the first 25 years of the SSPX in the UK, a photograph appears of the exterior of the Church. In this photo, the Church boasts a small steeple in the middle of its roof.

It looks like it was added later and was not an original feature of the building; you often see protestant Churches (St Andrews is formerly a “wee free” Church) with retrospective steeples added after the original construction.

However, today, the steeple is mysteriously gone!

This is not a criticism – I just wondered what happened to it, I am terribly nosy you see 🙂

Does anyone know the date of construction? I haven’t finished “The Living Flame” yet – so the information may still be lurking in those pages.

Also, a few months back, Fr McLaughlin was talking about having the building spruced up – fresh lick of paint etc; does anyone know the status of this project?

Thanks.

August 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Gabriel Syme,

I’ve been attending Mass at St. Andrew’s for 25 years and I still don’t know much about the origins of the building, other than what you’ve already stated. I wonder if the spire that’s now missing was actually a chimney for Wee Free smokers!! No seriously, I haven’t a clue about its disappearance.

I’m afraid I can’t share your fondness for that little building, “little” being the operative word. We Catholics were used to so much more before the Council. I suppose we shouldn’t complain but it really is time that we looked elsewhere for a church that better accommodates the Catholic spirit, not to mention the elderly and disabled who find it near impossible to climb all those steps. I long for the day when I can once again worship God in a Catholic church that has a big and beautiful sanctuary, a few side altars and a lot more in the way of images of the saints. The church we have at present is simply not big enough, nor is it conducive to alteration. I have noticed how large our congregation is growing, so hopefully those in authority will start the search soon for a more suitable church. Money, of course, is always a problem. Property isn’t cheap. Still, we can dream!

August 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm
      • Petrus

I’m sure that someone told me that there was a link to the German consulate and that St Andrew’s was once an “Old Catholic” church, prior to being owned by a “wee Free” congregation. For the life of me I can’t remember who told me this.

I have to agree about the building. It’s a bit of a nightmare, especially for young children and babies, not to mention the elderly and disabled.

August 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Athanasius.

I like the gothic frontage of the building, but I do agree with what you say about the building not being big enough for the needs of the Glasgow congregation, nor particularly conducive to being altered / improved.

What I dislike about it is the inevitable traffic jam at communion time, as everyone has to use the same central corridor to come and go from the altar rail. And, as you say, to get inside is like scaling a cliff face, thanks to those steep steps.

It often pains me to see large, grand looking Church buildings (of any origin) turned into pubs and restaurants or converted for a variety of secular uses. In the west end of Glasgow I can think of many examples of this; in fact it almost seems like secular usage is becoming the dominant usage for such buildings – a sad fact which will only get worse. Its the same story in the town where I work – Churches used as Wetherspoons pubs, Funeral Directors, you name it.

It looks like the Archdiocese will be looking to offload some property but, as Editor once said, fat chance they would be willing to sell one to the Society.

There are many wonderful Catholic Churches around the City Center, but it is shameful to see inside them – there has been all kinds of tinkering and shoddy modification, to try to disguise the fact that few people attend them.

St Columbas (Hopehill Road) has converted the rear half of the knave into a coffee / noticeboard area, and St Theresas (Saracen Street) has similarly built meeting rooms to eat up its unused space. The latter is particularly bad, as it means the stations of the cross cannot properly be seen from the remaining seats. And, of course, in many places vandals have been at the altar rails – like a second reformation.

Reading “The Living Flame” has been an eye-opener for me, to learn of priests having to say mass in living rooms and public halls. So, on one hand I suppose we should be thankful to have a Church building at all, but on the other you are right that it has reached the limit of its usefulness, given the size of the congregation and the issues with access and layout.

If any generous rich people are reading, I know the former RSNO building (a Church just off Sauchiehall Street, west of Charing X) is for sale, as is a lovely looking Church in Bearsden – advertised as a “unique restaurant opportunity”.

Judging by pictures in “The Living Flame”, the Society has managed to acquire some very beautiful Churches in England – so hopefully we might see the facilities for we Scots match the quality of this provision in due course. (Though I appreciate that former Anglican Churches are likely better suited to conversion to Catholic Churches, than are former Presbyterian ones).

I’m aware that the Priory in Carluke is a relatively recent addition to the Societys inventory, so hopefully a new Glasgow Church will be next on the agenda.

August 19, 2014 at 10:44 pm
  • tommy

Hi all, just got this from national catholic register concerning new perported revelations about the
    third secret of Fatima, by Antonio Socci. I would like to know what other bloggers think.

August 19, 2014 at 5:19 pm
  • tommy

Sorry here’s the link above.

August 19, 2014 at 5:21 pm
    • Josephine

Tommy,

IMHO, think it’s best not to believe anything that is new about Fatima, because people have made stuff up in the past. Father Gruner says the only reliable things to believe are what we know are definitely from Sr Lucia and I think he said only Fr Fuentes can verify that.

August 19, 2014 at 6:36 pm
      • Benedict Carter

The new material IS from Sister Lucia, it is now on Fr. Gruner’s website and called “astonishing”. It is yet more evidence that Cardinals Bertone and Sodano lied to tbe Faithful back in 2000.

September 8, 2014 at 4:47 am

Thanks for that update, Benedict. Much appreciated.

September 8, 2014 at 9:04 am

Tommy,

It’s possible that Antonio Socci came across this diary entry of Sister Lucy, he’s a well informed writer. The test will be to see if Fr. Gruner picks up on this and publishes it. If he does, then we can be fairly sure that it’s authentic.

August 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm
      • Petrus

Hasn’t this idea of a second text containing the words of Our Lady been going around for sometime?

August 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Petrus,

Yes, it has been said by Socci, Chris Ferrara and Fr. Gruner that a second envelope containing some part of the Third Secret is in the Vatican.

August 20, 2014 at 12:59 am

Latest shocker from the Pope. He wants Archbishop Oscar Romero to be beatified, quickly.

August 19, 2014 at 5:44 pm
    • Josephine

I read somewhere that Archbishop Romero was really orthodox and his memory is being spoiled by liberals pretending he was one of them.

August 19, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I wish that were true Josephine. Alas, his record speaks for itself.

August 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm
    • Josephine

I should have known. I probably read it in the Vatican Insider or Catholic News Agency, and they’re not likely to be unbiased.

August 19, 2014 at 7:54 pm

The secular press is reporting the very sad news that some young relations of Pope Francis have been killed in a car-crash in Argentina.

The wife of the Pope’s nephew, and their two young sons (one aged 2 yrs, the other 8 months), have all been killed in the crash.

Eternal rest, grant unto them O Lord,
    and let perpetual light shine upon them,
    May they rest in peace. Amen.

May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed,
    through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
    Amen.

August 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Gabriel Syme,

That’s very sad news indeed. A great consolation to their father, when he recovers, must surely be the knowledge that the two little children, both under the age of reason, are now saints in Heaven.

Thank you for posting the links and for the prayer which I’m sure we will all be pleased to offer for the wife’s soul. May she rest in peace.

August 19, 2014 at 11:52 pm

GS,

Yes, I read that tragic story earlier. Very, very sad indeed.

August 20, 2014 at 12:02 am
  • The invisible man

Is there Mass at SSPX Glasgow tomorrow (thurs) for the Feast of St Pius X???

August 20, 2014 at 9:52 pm
    • Petrus

There is no Mass in Glasgow tomorrow as the traditional Feast Day of St Pius X is 3rd September.

August 20, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Petrus,

You beat me to it… 😉

August 20, 2014 at 10:47 pm

From the Scottish Catholic Media Office…

Papal Honour for Scots Priest

Fr John Hughes, Rector of the Pontifical Scots College Rome, has been named by Pope Francis, Chaplain of His Holiness with the title Monsignor.

Fr John, a Glasgow priest, is 65 years of age, and qualifies under new regulations to be named a Monsignor.

He has been Rector of the Scots College Rome for 5 years. Before that, he was Vice-Rector of Scotus College Seminary in Bearsden, Glasgow. Previously, he was for many years Chaplain and Lecturer at St Andrew’s College of Education, which educated teachers for Catholic schools

At the 12 noon Mass in St Andrew’s Cathedral in Glasgow on Sunday 24th August, Archbishop Philip Tartaglia will present Father Hughes with the parchment with which Pope Francis designates Monsignor John Hughes to be a Chaplain of His Holiness.

Archbishop Tartaglia commented: “I am delighted for John. This award recognises Monsignor John Hughes’ distinguished service to Catholic teacher education and to the formation of priests.” ENDS

August 21, 2014 at 11:52 am