General Discussion (6)

General Discussion (6)

confusedIf there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here

• Pat McKay

Well, Matt 19:4 (….’have ye not read, that He who made man from the beginning, made them male and female?’…) may have been applicable when Jesus was here on earth, but is no longer so in our ‘enlightened times’ of 2015, right?

Good job we have the likes of ‘Common Sense’ to steer us along the right course…..

Regardless of what was said between Francis and his gender-bender, the mere fact that such a papal audience was ever held and made public is just another nod and wink to the ‘Gaystapo’.

In 1970s New York, a ‘Catholic’ priest conducted a same-sex ‘marriage’ and was promptly de-frocked for it. How long before those who REFUSE to conduct such a sacrilege will be the ones who get ousted?

February 2, 2015 at 6:53 pm
    • Common Sense

I hope that you never fail to receive the compassion you deny to others,

February 2, 2015 at 9:39 pm
      • Pat McKay

So, with regard to Romans 1:24 – 32, St. Paul was obviously ‘lacking compassion’ in his condemnation of homosexuals as….’filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery and spite’….

One wonders how he was ever made a Saint. Perhaps he ought to be stripped of his Sainthood in these ‘enlightened, compassionate and tolerant times’ we are now living in….. See to it, Francis!

February 3, 2015 at 9:23 am
      • Common Sense

I sure the Church says something like: Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin. I doubt St Paul had a different view, and nor would anyone dealing with a conflicted in a pastoral situation.

If a parent discovers their child understand themselves to be Gay, for example, are they to make them homeless, or love them as a person unconditionally, as Christ does.

In meeting ant troubled person a pastor is ministering to them. That is not to say they do not also offer advice as to the best way forward. We do not know what was said in that meeting, if indeed it took place. No official has confirmed it.

February 3, 2015 at 5:35 pm
      • westminsterfly

Wow. Common Sense uses the ‘G’ word. He needs to read this:- https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/the-strange-notion-of-gay-celibacy

February 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Compassion’s a funny thing to some people it seems, and doled out circumspectly. There was none to spare for the feelings of the lady expecting her 8th child by C:Section, was there?

February 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm
      • Common Sense

She received compassionate advice from a caring Pastor.

February 3, 2015 at 5:41 pm
      • Tirrey

No,she didn’t

February 3, 2015 at 6:04 pm
  • Tirrey

Fidelity Always seems to have returned as Common Sense,and still using “of” for “have”.What are students taught nowadays.

February 2, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Tirrey,

I’ve been following the posts by Common Sense, and he or she did respond to editor’s warning about taking a serious part in the discussions or be moderated. Fidelity Always ignored those warnings, so I don’t think it’s the same person. I think it’s an English thing, to use “of” instead of “have” – you hear it on TV a lot.

February 3, 2015 at 6:22 pm
    • dillydilys

Great minds think alike.Never “short o’ the Greek”, is he?

February 7, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I have received the following press release from the Scottish Catholic Media Office. Unusually, I replied – my reply follows the press release:

Subject: News from the Catholic Church

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Following today’s vote in the House of Commons to allow 3 person embryos, Bishop John Keenan, the Bishop of Paisley said;

“The proposed techniques fail on a number of ethical grounds which should concern us all: They destroy human life, since in order to construct a disease free embryo, two healthy ones will have to be destroyed. The technique is not a treatment, it does not cure anyone or anything, rather it seeks to remove anyone affected by certain conditions from the human gene pool. Destroying those who have a particular disease and presenting it as a cure or as progress is utterly disingenuous and completely unethical.

No other country in the world has licensed these procedures. A majority of responses to the Department of Health consultation opposed the proposal. Experts are divided on the advisability of the techniques and the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) have suggested only that the procedures are “not unsafe”.

Mitochondrial Donation completely destroys and distorts the natural process of fertility. It is surprising that a society which increasingly favours and supports natural and “environmentally friendly” products and services should countenance the genetic modification of human beings. How can we object when scientists genetically modify plants but not when they do the same with people?”

ENDS

My Reply…

Blah blah – will Bishop Keenan and the rest of the Scots Bishops refuse Holy Communion to the Catholic MPs who voted for this latest scandalous attack on God’s moral law or will they continue on their cowardly way and do nothing more than issue daft statements that nobody takes seriously? Rhetorical question – obviously.

Catholic Truth

February 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Some questions:

When one offers up a Holy Communion, what are you exactly offering up? Likewise, when one has a Mass offered for someone, what effect can this have?

What is the ‘matter’ in the dispensing of the Sacraments of Confirmation, Matrimony, Extreme Unction and Penance.

What graces do the Sacraments confer? Obviously, Baptism and Penance confer Sanctifying Grace, but what about the other five? Do they just strengthen Sanctifying Grace?

Can someone give me a definition of an Actual Grace? Its really hard for me to explain.

February 4, 2015 at 2:48 pm
    • Nicky

Catholic Convert 1,

We are offering up Our Lord, body, soul, mind and divinity to the heavenly Father. That’s who we receive in Holy Communion, so we are uniting ourselves to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit by offering our Communion to God. We talk about “offering our Communion” for different intentions and that just means we are asking God to help that person, or ourselves, whatever. I could say to you that I’ll offer my Holy Communion this Sunday for you, if you have a special worry or something. That’s all it means, I’m giving it back to God for help for you.

The matter in the sacraments is whatever material stuff is used, so in Confirmation and Extreme Unction that would be the oils. Marriage is a bit different from the other sacraments, because it’s the couple who give the sacrament to each other and so the matter there would be their vows, the contract they make. In Penance, the matter is the things the penitent does, admitting sins, saying the act of contrition, accepting the penance from the priest. The form is the words of absolution said by the priest.

All the sacraments confer sanctifying grace, to the best of my knowledge. Actual grace is just what it says, it’s grace to actually help us in practical ways in everyday life. That’s why it is so important to stay in a state of sanctifying grace so we can obtain the actual graces we need to keep us faithful in everyday life.

I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but I’m sure if you Googled your questions you would get the right answers. Maybe you should do that to check that I’ve given your the right answers! It’s a while since I’ve been to school! LOL!

February 4, 2015 at 10:26 pm
      • Thurifer

To clarify for others, Nicky, we always receive actual graces – which are primarily to repent and be Catholic – whether we are in the state of grace or not. Actual grace is what moves a man to confess his sins. But we receive no sanctifying grace while we are in mortal sin.

February 6, 2015 at 2:25 pm

This shocking report, whilst absolutely shocking, should not surprise us at all – it’s the logical conclusion of the abortion mindset. If it’s OK to murder babies in their mother’s womb because the mother chooses to do so, why not after birth? Read more

February 6, 2015 at 12:23 am
    • jobstears

That is horrifying. Naturally, the UN is all in favor of pardoning the murdering-mother!

February 6, 2015 at 5:45 pm
  • westminsterfly

I wonder what the ‘Russia was consecrated in 1984’ brigade are thinking now . . . . http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11393707/Putin-could-attack-Baltic-states-warns-former-Nato-chief.html Sr Lucia said many times that Russia would be an instrument of chastisement for the world if we didn’t first obtain its conversion by the consecration . . .

February 6, 2015 at 9:08 am

WF,

I’ve just been saying exactly the same thing to a neighbour who was interested to learn about the Consecration. Unbelievable that there are still numpties who think we’re enjoying the promised period of world peace. Is “Auntie Joanna” still of that opinion, I wonder, down there in Sassenach territory?

February 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm
      • westminsterfly

Who knows, Editor, who knows. I don’t think anything has been mentioned on her blog about it of late. There seems to be a complete block with some people, including the World Apostolate of Fatima, and some TFP people as well. I fear they will doggedly stick to this line, even while they are being vaporised in a thermonuclear war.

February 8, 2015 at 1:21 pm
      • Jobstears

Westminsterfly,

I used to support the World Apostolate of Fatima, until I read a while ago- I think it might have been in one of their publications- that they were having an ecumenical prayer service where people of all faiths, prayed to Our Lady (in ways that fit in with their beliefs or something to that effect), for peace. It didn’t make sense to me. I think their line is that Russia has been consecrated. I think they are very muddled.
        I agree with you about the TFP people. They seem content to fight issues but don’t ever address the crucial issue- the consecration of Russia.

February 8, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I’ve posted a few comments on the Scotsman blog this morning, on the topic of the Named Person legislation. Pleasantly surprisingly, most bloggers there are seem to be alert to the dangers – unlike the useful idiots who were interviewed on the local TV news last night.

Anyone who can spare a few moments to comment, would know that it’s time well spent. The Government monsters who are behind this evil legislation will, without a doubt, be aware of the mainstream press blogs. Not that they really care, but there’s some satisfaction in knowing they are aware that we’re not ALL idiots – not even merely “useful” idiots.

February 7, 2015 at 11:42 am
  • westminsterfly

Universal Living Rosary Association are having Masses offered in the Ukraine for Lent / Easter 2015. Suggested donation is $5 dollars (approximately £3.30 UK sterling per offering). Mass offerings from the UK to be sent to:-

Mrs Anne Curran
    Universal Living Rosary Association, P.O. Box 9964, Colchester, Essex, CO1 9FN.
    e-mail: ulraengland@hotmail.com

In the USA/Canada, please send to:-
    Mrs Patti Melvin, Director, Universal Living Rosary Association: P.O. Box 1303, Dickinson, Texas 77539, U.S.A. website http://www.philomena.org email: info@philomena.org

February 8, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Reminder…

The GD threads close at around 500 comments, so I’m keeping a close eye on this one now. Don’t worry, I will delete this one to make room for A.N. Other as we approach the deadline!

February 9, 2015 at 12:40 pm
  • catholicconvert1

Please could you tell me which Missal you use, or prefer, and why: the Baronius Press Missal or the Angelus Press Missal? I usually purchase my religious material from BP, but I would appreciate your expert opinions. I’m wanting a nice Missal in time for my Confirmation by Bishop de Galarreta in May for His Excellency to sign.

February 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm

CC,

We’ve had this conversation before. I use the Angelus Press missal because it was given to me as a gift, but I soon bought the plain cover for it because – like most Americans who know nothing about its Protestant origin – Angelus Press have “Roman Catholic” blazoned across the front. I don’t know anything about any other missal available, but the Angelus Press product is a daily missal and I find it does what it’s supposed to do…

February 9, 2015 at 11:27 pm

CC –

I have the Baronius Press daily missal. I think its great and have been very satisfied with it. Its like a treasure trove with all its prayers and devotions. It is beautifully presented with appealing artwork inside.

I was put off the Angelus Press Missal by the “Roman Catholic” title, as per Editors comment, although I am sure it is still a fine missal with very similar content to the Baronius version.

I previously heard complaints about the Baronius Missal, because apparently the early editions included JP2s “luminous mysteries” in its Rosary section, (which would not have been in original 1962 missals), however my version only includes the 3 traditional sets of mysteries (even though teaching of JP2 on the rosary is referenced, the luminous mysteries are gone).

Whichever version you get, be sure to dip the ends of the ribbon page-markers in “fray check” fluid or clear nail varnish, in order to stop them fraying / coming apart with use!

(Baronius Press was founded in Glasgow, so I have a soft spot for them, but their products are high quality and speak for themselves).

February 10, 2015 at 12:46 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Thanks for that advice Gabriel, I’ll buy this Missal. I wish I’d found out about ‘fray check’ months ago….I’ll use it on my Little Office, DR Bible and Meditations and Devotions as well, along with other books I get with ribbons. Nail varnish!? Moi? I only wear that on Friday nights!! 🙂

February 10, 2015 at 7:01 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Re the fray check and nail varnish, do you just squeeze it on the end of the ribbons? Is nothing else required?

February 10, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Hi CC – sorry for the late reply, I had been away on a short break.

In answer to your question – yes, all it takes is a little of the fluid squeezed onto the ends (both sides) of the ribbon. This then “sets” the ribbon and prevents the threads from coming apart.

Even a little clear glue would work a treat.

I used something like this:

An craft / fabric shop (eg Remnant Kings) or Ebay will provide what you need.

February 17, 2015 at 8:35 pm
    • Jobstears

CC,

I have the Baronius Press Missal, and I agree with everything GS said about his missal. Mine doesn’t have the Luminous Mysteries, either.

You really won’t regret buying the Baronius Press missal.

February 10, 2015 at 6:50 pm

In a rare piece of positive news for Scottish Catholicism, Bishop Steven Robson has sanctioned a regular latin mass for his diocese (on grounds that it is stable and is able to support itself financially).

The celebrant is to be Fr John Emerson FSSP initially, but I would hope that the Dunkeld Diocesan clergy will become increasingly interested (just as some of the clergy in Glasgow are – slowly – starting to acquaint themselves with actual Catholicism).

Apparently this is his response to being approached by a group of lay people (60 strong) asking for the mass, so it doesn’t seem like a knee jerk reaction (some Bishops only show interest in the mass once the SSPX show up and they feel a need to try to compete with the Society).

Seems like good news to me: the more people who are exposed to authentic Catholicism, the better (even if its within the decrepit and decaying Diocesan structures of Scotland).

However, look at this statement from Bishop Robson (from the links):

There is no reason why this celebration should be divisive or contentious. It will be celebrated for those who desire the Extraordinary Form and have a right to access it and who love the music and ceremony of the old Mass. It is not obligatory for anyone and it will not be replacing the Ordinary or usual Form of the Mass

I dislike the fact the suggests the preference for the mass is purely down to “music and ceremony”, he does the mass a disservice there. But at least he acknowledges the right of Catholics to their religious heritage.

And look at the stressing of it being non-obligatory and non-contentions: surely no Bishop would make such statements unless he was acutely aware that his ‘Catholic’ flock was thoroughly Protestantised?

February 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm
    • Common Sense

Comment deleted

February 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm
    • Pat Langan

Congratulations to all those who have worked so tirelessly for the restoration of the Vetus Ordo ‘Mass of all the ages’ in Tayside. I know of the many difficulties and hurdles they have had to overcome from both misguided clergy and laity in the area, Well done! For the sake of the restoration of the Roman Catholic faith in Scotland this is the only way forward. Deo Gratias.

February 10, 2015 at 2:41 pm
  • damselofthefaith

Well, it looks as if I, as a young Traditional Catholic, am a terrorist, according to Cardinal Marx.

I’ve addressed this on my blog. It looks as if things just continue to reach insane proportions. These Modernists stop at nothing to show the world that we are their enemy because of what we stand for – the True and Unchangeable Catholic Faith, the Church of God, not Man!

February 10, 2015 at 10:38 pm

DOTF,

I wouldn’t worry too much about anything that enemy of Our Lord and His Church has to say. In healthier times he would have been defrocked for heresy and moral dissent. That such a man rose to the Cardinalate demonstrates how serious the crisis in the Church is at the highest level.

February 10, 2015 at 11:31 pm
  • westminsterfly February 12, 2015 at 9:45 am
  • catholicconvert1

If one committed a really grave sin, say of a sexual nature, i.e. fornication, adultery, sodomy, or oral sex, could a Priest refuse absolution, and could the Priest refuse to give you communion even after absolution? Likewise, if one committed Sodomy or oral sex, would one have to specify which gender it was with (i.e. same sex or opposite)? Would you be committing a sin of omission if you didn’t say which gender it was with?

February 12, 2015 at 11:26 am

CC,

I concur with what WF has said. The kinds of sexual sins you mention offend against either the sixth or the ninth Commandments depending on their nature and circumstances. Such mortal sins can never be wilfully omitted in confession as this would not only invalidate the Sacrament but would also incur for the unfortunate soul the added grave sin of sacrilege.

Provided the penitent is truly sorry for the sin and has a firm purpose of amendment, there is absolutely no reason why absolution would be withheld by the priest. And once absolution has been granted, Holy Communion likewise cannot be withheld.

It is very rare indeed that people are refused absolution by a priest. If they are refused, it is usually because they have demonstrated to the priest during confession that they are not at all sorry for their sins and have no intention of giving up sinful habits. Believe it or not such occasions of utter presumption do occur, but, as I say, very rarely.

Generally speaking, the priest is there in the person of Our Merciful Saviour. In that capacity the greater majority of priests are extremely gentle towards penitents, always happy to see them bring their miseries before God and be restored to the life of grace. They may well point out the serious nature of mortal sin, as they should, but never in a way that is judgmental of the one confessing his sins.

It has always been the business of the Church to encourage even the most sinful people, those who may have strayed far from Our Lord and His Commandments, even for most of their lives, to return to Him with true sorrow and receive His infinite mercy. As Bishop Fulton Sheen once said in a sermon, addressing those long estranged from Our Lord and steeped in sins, “If you will but stumble into the confessional, He will receive you back”. If only more souls would take advantage of this infinite mercy of God instead of falling into despair on the one hand and presumption on the other.

February 15, 2015 at 2:27 pm
  • westminsterfly

CatholicConvert1

If one committed any sin against purity with another person, one would be under an obligation to confess if the acts took place with a member of the same sex or the opposite sex. It would be very wrong to withhold that information, because the Church has always taught that sexual acts with a member of the same sex are unnatural and therefore of a different order of gravity. Of course, certain unnatural acts can be committed with a member of the opposite sex as well, and these must be confessed. As far as I am aware (and I am not a moral theologian!) there should be no reason for a priest to withhold absolution if one has confessed such things with the correct intentions (contrition and purpose of amendment). Likewise, if a priest has given absolution, there should be no reason for him to withhold Holy Communion afterwards.

February 12, 2015 at 1:22 pm
  • pew catholic

Editor, you are absolutely right to crack down on the trolls. Your patience with these idiots has been exemplary. It’s time they were telt!

February 15, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Pew Catholic,

Thank you. If I were here on my own, I would probably/possibly keep letting their posts through with corrections in bold – eventually they would either begin to understand the truth or go away. However, it is really unfair to the rest of the bloggers who take time to correct these people, often giving links and various irrefutable sources, only to find the same criticisms repeated. The trolls either don’t read what is supplied or they just can’t grasp it. Either way, there comes a time to shake off the dust, to quote the Gospel.

I’ve just read three in moderation – one now in the trash (we’re done with “the SSPX is in schism” and I’m running out of “gerragrips” !) and the other two allowed through, somewhat edited in at least one case.

I actually feel sorry for them. They may truly think that we are the ones needing help. You couldn’t make it up… Priceless!

February 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm
  • catholicconvert1

I don’t know if any of you saw coverage, albeit brief, of the funeral of Oisin McGrath, the boy who died in an accident in Enniskillen. If you come across the coverage don’t want it. The Priest did not preach on the Four Last Things, but on what a wonderful boy he was, the sister read a eulogy and at the end, the choir sang not Dies Irae or any other traditional hymn, but sang ‘you raise me up’, by Westlife which had the late sodomite, Stephen Gately in the band.

Gimmestrength!!!

February 15, 2015 at 5:24 pm
  • sixupman

“Rorate” reports that both +Schneider and +++Muller are involved with visiting SSPX seminaries – such will be more fruitful than the formal curia inspired meetings under +++Gerhard Muller. All that is now needed is for some brave diosesan bishops to emulate +Schneider and ++Muller.

It was included on the BBC R4 religious programme this a.m. that a Scottish Diocese is to emulate the Netherlands’ Bishops’ Conference in a major programme of parish closures. Salford Diocese also cogitating upon the same issue – lack of clergy; their envisage solution, greater lay participation. Perhaps emulating the Liverpool Archdiocese, where their Directory includes the wives of Permanent Deacons. The Netherlands’ Conference tells the abandoned flocks to avail themselves of Protestant worship. Both Galloway and Leeds, in some cases, have come close to adopting such attitude.

February 15, 2015 at 5:34 pm
  • sixupman

Apologies for error, the +++ is Brandmuller, also the final comment.

February 15, 2015 at 5:38 pm