General Discussion (6)

General Discussion (6)

confusedIf there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here

• Josephine

Yes, CC, I will also pray for your friend at this worrying time.

January 17, 2015 at 10:33 pm
    • catholicconvert1

I’m so grateful to you all for your response to my request. You are a wonderful bunch. God Bless.

January 18, 2015 at 12:19 pm
  • Summa

I was going to buy this book in the current OUP sale, but just before I pulled the trigger, I asked myself, what am I letting myself in store for?

I know nothing of Timothy F. Bellamah, OP. A little digging around and I found his congregation and then a photo of his community serving Novus Ordo Mass, then I thought, am I likely to get a post Vatican II assessment of this Dominican medieval leader?

My little experience raises a reasonable question.

Unless it comes from Angelus Press, or Carmel-Books (UK), can you really trust anything for general sale? I mean an imprimatur is pretty much useless these days.

Thoughts?

January 19, 2015 at 6:20 am

Summa,

I would stick with Angelus Press and Carmel Books in England, personally

January 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm
      • Summa

Yes, I aim to use those as a benchmark. I really want get a Latin- English copy of the full Summa. I know however that there have been problems with post Vatican II Dominican scholarship and am very wary of purchasing something imbued with modernism in its translation and commentary.

January 20, 2015 at 10:29 pm
  • damselofthefaith

This should be shocking, scandalous, deplorable, despicable, abominable and dreadful to any true Catholic! And this came from the mouth of the Pope. I no longer want to hear the mistranslation and “it’s just his personal opinion” excuse.

If it’s the person opinion of the Pope that families should not have as many children as God sends them, then God help him.

“Responsible parenthood” sure sounds like the diabolical planned parenthood to me. Here is the Pope, advocating that you plan the way you want your family to be, instead of what God wants, the will of God. He may not be explicitly endorsing contraception, but what do you think people that use contraception are going to think of this? Not only do they think it’s not wrong to contracept and abuse sex which God gave us for the procreation of children in case the Pope forgot, they will now be confirmed in their error by the Vicar of Christ.

That’s just fact. Fact. This is utterly disgraceful. Just when I thought things couldn’t possibly get worse, it does.

Someone once said to go forth and multiply and to fill the earth. That someone was God. I guess He was pretty irresponsible, don’t you think?

Don’t forget that the great, saintly Catholic families of the past (and present, for there are many large Catholic families out there in the SSPX and elsewhere) were insulted in these remarks as well. You know, like the Martin family, St. Therese’s family, who had 9 children. What the Pope is essentially saying is that the Catholic families of generations were irresponsible for trusting that God would provide?!

The Pope conforms to the world. THIS is what the world says. Those who are friends of the world are enemies of God. I know it’s hard to take, but it’s fact. But, alas, the Pope is on a rock-star mission to be popular. Saying something that’s Catholic or doing something to defend the Faith is news. News. Before everyone goes into a tizzy about me insulting the Pope and whatnot, which is not what I am not doing, for I am only pointing something out that is going to lead souls astray, which every Catholic needs to recognize. Remember this: “Those who blindly and indiscriminately defend every decision of the Supreme Pontiff are the very ones who do the most to undermine the authority of the Holy See. They destroy instead of strengthen its foundations.” ~Bishop Melchior Cano, Council of Trent

“Planning” your family shows a lack of trust in God.

Pray for the Pope, that he returns to the true Faith, abandons Modernism and stops pandering to the ungodly, immoral ways of the world.

January 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm

DOTF,

I agree with you completely. You have said it all there, very clearly. Thank you!

January 20, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Here (see link) is the kind of rubbish the Popes latest ill-judged comments have given a platform to. Amazingly, the article author regards herself as a “faithful Catholic”.

The article is total rubbish, of course, simply the arrogant ramblings of a quasi-Catholic attempting to rationalise the gap between Church teaching and their own secular values.

However, these sections jumped out at me. (Note how Francis still comes in for fawning and flattery from this ‘Catholic’ but the Church and its teaching is hammered.)

Its interesting how people who are Catholic-in-name-only, such as the article author, can see right through Francis just as well as can traditional Catholics.

The truth is that the pope – a charismatic and decent-seeming guy whose finger is a good deal closer to the people’s pulse than his predecessor’s was – is tying himself in knots trying to appear “modern” at the same time as adhering to official teaching. And it simply won’t wash.

and

What we are witnessing in this papacy is a church that realises how far out of step it is with modern thinking, and is increasingly keen on getting into line.

January 20, 2015 at 10:55 pm
  • Summa

I’m lost for words. No wonder we have Catholics erring and becoming sedevacantist.

January 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I just saw this today, the Mail has an article about photographic film from World War 2 being found and developed after all this time. There have been some very interesting photographs revealed. All that is known about the photographer is that he was an American soldier who served in France.

About 1/3 of the way down, there is a photograph of a Priest saying mass in the open air on the deck of a troop ship, surrounded by young soldiers.

The picture of the mass made me recall a similar wartime photo I once saw, where a Priest had made a makeshift altar on the bonnet of a military jeep and was saying mass as young troops knelt on the ground around him.

Comparing such profoundly moving images of Catholicism with the horrors of the mainstream Church in the modern day show how resoundingly correct Cardinal Burkes recent comments were, regarding men and their experience of the Catholic faith.

I wonder how many young men on their way to a war-zone would take any comfort from the clownish antics of todays priests, such as that dancing buffoon and his “girl altar boy” backing dancers whom we saw recently?

January 20, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Gabriel Syme,

That’s a beautiful photo. Thanks for alerting us to it.

I am having keyboard problems so need to close down my computer for a bit, so I’ll make this short and sweet – the Judge hearing the challenge to the Named Person proposed legislation h as thrown out the case. State interference in family life to go ahead, unless the charities bringing the case decide to appeal. I wonder if that daft Judge realises that neither he, nor his grandchildren’s parents will be the first point of contact if there is any issue with his children – the Named Person will be that first contact.

January 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm
      • Petrus

How shocking. Let’s hope this is not the end. I know School House is determined to fight on.

January 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm

The Scottish Catholic Media Office have just published the news that Archbishop Tartaglia has suffered a heart attack:

After feeling unwell, Archbishop Philip Tartaglia was admitted to hospital in Salamanca on Thursday 22 January.

Following initial treatment and tests at the University hospital in Salamanca it has been confirmed that he has suffered a heart attack.

The Scottish Bishops are currently attending an in-service week at the Scots College in Salamanca, Archbishop Tartaglia is President of the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland.

Archbishop Tartaglia is conscious today (Friday) and in good spirits, he has been visited by other Scots bishops attending the meeting.

The Archbishop will remain in hospital in Spain until he is well enough to return home. Further medical updates will be released if any change in the Archbishop’s condition takes place.

Catholic parishes in the Archdiocese of Glasgow have been informed of the Archbishop’s illness and special prayers will be said this weekend throughout the Archdiocese for his recovery.

ENDS.

Pray, not only for his recovery, but as Catholics have done for centuries, for, if his time is due, a happy – i.e. holy – death. Our Lady of Lourdes, health of the sick, pray for him. St Joseph, patron of a happy death, pray for him.

Later that same day…

Updated medical bulletin on Archbishop Tartaglia.

Following earlier news release: http://www.scmo.org/articles/archbishop-tartaglia-suffers-heart-attack.html

A spokesman for Archbishop Tartaglia said;

“After tests and a minor medical procedure today it is hoped that Archbishop Tartaglia will be able to leave hospital in a few days and return to Scotland as soon as is possible” ENDS.

January 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

There’s an interesting article on the Pope’s “rabbits” comment in Catholic World Report.

We knew from the outset that he didn’t use the word “breed” – that is not the point. It’s exactly the word that sprang to the minds of the reporters to whom he entrusted his off the wall opinion, and there isn’t – in any case – any different meaning: in the context of his remarks “to be like rabbits” is no different than from “to breed like rabbits” – means exactly the same thing.

The (female) columnist’s observations about his singling out of the pregnant (with no. 8) woman to denounce, are particularly interesting, in my view. Especially those final five words…

January 23, 2015 at 12:56 pm
    • Summa

Ed. Check out John Vennari on CFN. His short video nails it.

January 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm

summa,

I take it you mean this one…

Very interesting summary of the situation. Thank you for the alert.

January 23, 2015 at 4:49 pm
      • Summa

Yes, Editor. I have a lot of time for JV. He cares deeply about the Faith and the souls of the flock and seems always to keep on an even keel without the melodrama.

January 23, 2015 at 9:56 pm
  • eamon1883

I wish these airplane press conferences would end. Thank God Francis was not a Pope during the baby boom years or else I and millions of others would not have been born. I am one of the younger siblings from a huge family. Because of the size of my family we were able to take care of my mom when she started to fail in her health. Different siblings took turns helping and visiting. Also, we were able to help out two siblings who died of cancer.

Europe’s population is falling due to low birth rates.

We must keep praying for this man. He causes so much confusion. Pope Leo XIII wrote many Encyclicals on the Rosary. He and St. Pius X and Pope Pius XII encouraged the faithful Catholic.

January 23, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Eamon,

I could not agree more. I’ve just been listening to an Anglican vicar on the subject and even he points out that people should stop handing the pope a microphone on these trips.

He also mentioned an article in The Telegraph which reports the anger of rabbit breeders at the Pope’s slur against rabbits. Honestly, you just couldn’t make this stuff up.

And you are so right about the care of elderly parents – I was talking a couple of days ago to a woman (no idea of her religious convictions – I heard she’d been given three years for robbing the poor box but that could just be vicious gossip! 😀 ) We got onto the subject of the assisted suicide legislation looming large and she said she had only one daughter at the other end of the world, and when she said “there’ll be nobody to fight my corner” (when I’m old and sick) her daughter reassured her that she would be there to help, but all sorts of things could transpire to prevent that so the last thing the Pope should be doing is giving the impression that he is all for reducing family size.

Hearing John Vennari listing the anti-Catholic immoral views of Cardinal Martini and then quoting Pope Francis’ description of him as “a Father of the Church” and other praise chills the heart and soul. (See the video recommended by Summa which I posted in my previous comment.)

Anyway, you are right to say that we must keep praying for this pope. You say he “causes confusion” – I’d go a step further and say he personifies confusion!

Thanks for your very clear comment on this latest (for now, anyway) scandal.

God bless

January 23, 2015 at 10:56 pm
    • Summa

Hello Eamon
      As John Vennari makes quite clear in the above video, we should be insulting ourselves to think that these ad hoc interviews are actually ad hoc. We can no longer lie and pretend that we are seeing more of Pope Gaff, embarrassing the Catholic Church through some innocent stupidity.
      Look carefully at what we have had to endure and suffer during the reign of Bergolio.
      Open attack on Traditional Elements of the Church. A purging of Conservative cardinals or bishops. The attack on the family. The promotion of sodomitical acts. The irreverence of the Eucharist. The bowing to heretics. The rejection of The Catholic God. The support of false religion. The disparaging comments about rosary crusades. Welcoming pagans and open enemies of the Church to plant trees and pray for our downfall. Supporting atheist journalists. Co-celebrating Mass with openly damned homosexual Priests.
      Basically this is open warfare on Christianity.
      He is an enemy of the Church. May God forgive him.

January 24, 2015 at 12:41 am
      • jobstears

Summa,

Clear and concise. It is open warfare on Christianity and to pretend otherwise is to willfully bury our heads in the sand and die of asphyxiation, because this disaster isn’t going to blow over in a hurry.

January 24, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Summa

100% agreement.

January 24, 2015 at 9:12 am
  • Christina

In a nutshell. No reinterpretations can hide the truth of what Summa says. I know that the ‘prophecies of Malachy’ are suspect for various reasons, but I can’t get out of my head something that I read when Jorge “I am the Bishop of Rome” Bergoglio was elected Pope to the effect that it was prophesied that the last pope ‘Peter the Roman’, would not himself be the Antichrist, but would prepare the way for the Antichrist. Hmmm.

January 24, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Christina,

If that is the case (Pope Francis preparing the way…) he’s doing a great job of it!

January 26, 2015 at 8:56 am
  • Summa

I have just read Sapientiae Christianae: On Christians as Citizens by His Holiness Pope Leo XIII
    January 10, 1890

I know folk recommend from time time, so please allow me this indulgence.

A brilliant encyclical. So much, so relevant.

January 26, 2015 at 3:47 am

Thanks Summa.

January 26, 2015 at 8:56 am
  • Spero

There is a post on Rorate Caeli which highlights a lecture by Cardinal Maradiaga, one of the Pope’s “main men”. The title of the lecture includes the phrase “The Meaning of Mercy”.
    The cardinal said that the Pope wants to take “church renovation” to an”irreversible point”. He also said that previous reforms were “insufficient and superficial” and that church reforms were to be “deep and total”.
    See the post over at Rorate, and maybe other sites, dated 20th January.

January 26, 2015 at 9:33 am
    • Pat Langan

Is this the same Reformation 500 years ago also lead by heretical clerics that condemned millions and millions souls to the devil’s embrace with the ultimate aim being the distruction of the one Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic church? God Help Us!

January 26, 2015 at 12:23 pm

(I am posting this here because the relevant thread from November is closed.)

The infamous predatory pederast, Professor Eric Anderson, has made the mainstream media (Daily Mail).

He has come under fire from an unlikely source: the celebrity gardener Alan Titchmarsh, who is taking the position of Chancellor at the University Anderson works at.

Mr Titchmarsh, 65, says he is a committed Christian who deplores Prof Anderson’s comments and is worried about the pressure ‘impressionable’ 16-year-old boys face to have sex.

I am glad Titchmarsh has chosen to attack the pervert Anderson, however he does make the error of referring to sodomy as “sex”. In fact it is not sex, homosexuals are actually unable to have sex together, because their bodies are not sexually compatible. The trend for calling sodomy “sex” is part of the ongoing effort to normalise such behaviour.

January 26, 2015 at 11:59 am
  • westminsterfly

Sister Lucia of Fatima frequently said that Russia would be used as an instrument of chastisement for the world, and that whole nations would be annihilated. Are we getting closer to that? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2930573/Russian-bombers-skies-Bournemouth-RAF-jets-scramble-intercept-intruders.html

January 29, 2015 at 9:22 am
    • Summa

More importantly, how on earth did you pluck up the courage to peruse the Daily Mail? Unblocking public toilets with a plunger is more appealing.

A bastion of immodesty and iniquity.

January 29, 2015 at 9:36 am

Summa,

I never can understand why people attack the Daily Mail. You say it is a bastion of immodesty and iniquity but it’s the only paper I can see that exposes attacks on the family and I have read articles where they show that abortion is about killing a baby, not a cluster of cells. I think it’s no worse than any other paper in most ways and it is about the only one to not bother about being PC in some things. The establishment hate it over here and speak about it in a way they don’t speak about the other papers and that suggests to me that it is not in their pocket. I’m not suggesting that it’s perfect but I just don’t understand why it’s hated so much when it’s the only paper to support the traditional family, at least up to a point. They’ve exposed the persecution of e.g. the B & B couple who have now lost their business because they refused to allow unmarried couples to share a double room and a “gay” couple took them to court. So, I am puzzled at your description, which is in line with what most people seem to think.

January 29, 2015 at 9:48 am
      • Summa

Margaret Mary
        I can only talk with respect to the online trashy website that they run, which has terrible stories, images and links, that undermine the virtues.

January 29, 2015 at 11:28 am

Summa,

I agree, the website’s not nice at all.

January 29, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Further to Maureen Mullarkeys article in “First Things” which was critical of Pope Francis, (earlier this month), she has another piece here:

January 29, 2015 at 1:23 pm
    • Laura

Gabriel Syme,

I was also shocked to see this report about Pope Francis

Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us!

January 29, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Laura,

I was dismayed to hear that news also. I saw it on the Catholic Herald – they had disabled comments to prevent readers pointing out that there is no such thing as “transgender people” only “mentally ill people”.

(As per: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change )

I think the incident is another great example of how Francis main priority is simply to cosy up to the world.

As usual, he allows his behaviour to be used to undermine Christian values – as the mentally ill “man” he met with claims that Francis is pleased that “he” and his wife want to have a family.

January 30, 2015 at 9:23 am
      • Thurifer

“God loves all his children, however they are; you are a son of God, who accepts you exactly as you are. Of course you are a son of the Church!”

February 1, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Thurifer,

That is so very shocking. I am really lost for words. Is there no end to this pope’s scandals?

February 1, 2015 at 10:37 pm
      • Common Sense

As he has done nothing wrong, the greater scandal is that “Catholics” are publicly saying he has.

February 2, 2015 at 8:31 am
      • Pat McKay

Anyone who thinks they’ve ‘been born the wrong sex’ is in need of psychiatric help, not an audience with the pope!

…..’have ye not read, that He who made man from the beginning, made them male and female?….Matt 19:4

February 2, 2015 at 9:51 am
      • Common Sense

Please provide a comprehensive list of everyone Jesus refused to meet with, have an encounter with, and which people he has not offered salvation to. I would be surprised if The Pope uses a different list, in acting as his Vicar on Earth.

February 2, 2015 at 11:23 am
      • Pat McKay

Jesus did not condemn the adulterous woman, but told her to…’go and sin no more’…. He didn’t tell her it was ‘OK to continue in her sinful and/or erroneous ways’.

Some years ago the ‘megastar’ that calls itself ‘Madonna’ asked the pope to Baptise its neonatal – and was given short shrift. The same response should be afforded to so-called ‘transgenders’. Period.

February 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm
      • Common Sense

You do not know what either said to the other. I would say those commenting, in ignorance of all the facts, cause greater scandal than the meeting itself.

February 2, 2015 at 12:15 pm

CS,

Pope Francis the First (and we hope, Last) thinks nothing of castigating the mafia, ticking off the entire Roman curia, insulting the “rosary counters” and mocking those of us dubbed “traditional” Catholics, so I would say, yes, he has done something VERY wrong by failing to tell his woman/man/whatever he/she is, that he/she has insulted God by doing something manifestly abominable.

Do you think the Pope would invite ME to a private meeting with him, and offer me an envelope full of money to pay for my expenses? Or do what he has done to date, ignore all of my correspondence addressed personally to him?

Gerragrip.

February 2, 2015 at 11:16 am
      • Common Sense

We do not know what either said to the other. He and We do know, as you regularly tell The World, what you wish to tell him. Perhaps he is lost for words that he could address as a suitable reply to you, that Christ, and his Church, have not already said. Jesus did say “listen anyone who has ears to ear”. May be you should gerragrip on your Hearing Aid. It seems to work intermittingly.

February 2, 2015 at 11:29 am
      • Common Sense

Any Traditionalist would know that unless a second Pope takes the name Francis, there is no regnal number attached to his name.

Further, he took the name in honour of St Francis, and any future Pope, and indeed any Traditional, loyal, Catholic, would proudly promote his saintly example in the world.

February 2, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Gerranothergrip!

I’ve had someone email to ask if “Common Sense” is a priest. Reply: he’s certainly daft enough.

February 2, 2015 at 1:01 pm
  • Summa

GREAT February Newsletter Ed.

Bravo!

February 1, 2015 at 11:21 am

Summa,

Thank you very much for your very kind encouragement – much appreciated.

Cheque in post 😀

February 1, 2015 at 11:51 pm
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

Proof of the existence of Satan: Has anyone noticed when watching a football/cricket/boxing match on the television, or a documentary on natural history or what have you, how easy it is to concentrate on the subject matter? And yet when it comes to saying the Rosary, or sitting in front of the Blessed Sacrament for some silent meditation, how remorselessly the distractions intrude?

That happens because Satan is quite content to leave us alone while we follow earthly pursuits, but as soon as we seek to turn our attention to supernatural matters, he is in there with his distractions.

That surely proves that he exists.

I am indebted to Fr. Ockerse for that revelation.

Before long, Lent will be upon us, and some will be turning their attention to what additional practices they might take up by way of penance (the minority) while others may be considering what habits they might give up (the majority).

I should like to propose a Lenten resolution for those contributors and bloggers who avidly study the blogs associated with what might loosely be termed “The Resistance” by which I mean those priests and laity who have got it into their heads that Bishop Fellay is planning to sacrifice Truth in order to gain Unity with the Vatican. They have numerous blogs between them on which they broadcast their opinions based on whatever observations have been reported, and always biased towards undermining the authority and integrity of the Superior General of the SSPX.

In striving to entice others to join their unstructured ranks, they are blindly doing the work of Satan.

They have no devolved authority for seeking to seduce others towards their personal opinions as to the intentions of Bishop Fellay. They are acting out of vanity but are blind to the fact.

I know this because it is a road I have trodden myself in the past.

Yes, Bishop Fellay does go to Rome when the Vicar of Christ calls him. Yes, he does listen to what is said or proposed. But he knows that Truth must always come before Unity and he will not sign up to anything that could undermine the future ability of the SSPX to uphold Traditional Doctrine. He carries on his shoulders a tremendous burden of responsibility for ensuring a steady flow of Tradition-supporting priests and their supporting laity, all intent on the stamping out of Modernism and the restoration of Christ’s Kingdom.

All through my own months of uncertainty, I continued to attend the same SSPX chapel, and I can truthfully say that I have never heard any priest say anything whatsoever that could be construed as supportive of Modernism. Since eschewing my previous addiction to these blogs and their pernicious siren calls, I have experienced a great sense of peace.

For a Lenten resolution, I earnestly propose that those who follow those blogs should cease on Ash Wednesday (if not before), and close their minds to these occasions of sin. Furthermore, I advise them to cease attending Masses in Resistance-sponsored houses or hotel rooms or sedevacantist centres and to return to the SSPX chapels they used to attend. I can assure them that a great sense of peace and calmness will descend upon them, and that they will settle down to their real task of adoring God instead of allowing themselves to be distracted and side-tracked on to other paths.

In conclusion, I should like to issue an early reminder that the next opportunity to attend the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius will be March 23rd to 28th inclusive for women, and April 13th to 18th inclusive for men, at the SSPX Retreat House of St. Saviour’s House in Bristol. More information and an incentive to attend can be found at http://www.sspx.co.uk/page_retreats.htm .

This is not just a “nice” thing to do. It will change your life.

May God bless you all.

February 2, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for that post Leprechaun – the info about distractions is very interesting, food for thought alright!

I will certainly use this to help me combat distractions when praying my own Rosary!

February 3, 2015 at 5:06 pm
      • leprechaun

Gabriel,

Thank you for your support. You will find that attending the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius next April, inconvenient though that may be, will be extremely useful in influencing how you perform your daily devotions.

God bless you.

February 5, 2015 at 11:41 am

Leprechaun,

Many thanks for what – at quick skim – seems to be an excellent post. I’ll read it more carefully later.

Thank you for posting the details of the forthcoming retreats.

February 2, 2015 at 4:28 pm
  • jobstears

Just read the February newsletter- another outstanding job!

February 2, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Jobstears,

Thank you for that encouragement. I’m very pleased to say that we are getting lots of very positive feedback about this edition.

February 3, 2015 at 7:39 pm