Catholics Must Reject Synod Document – Calling UK Bishops To Show Leadership

Catholics Must Reject Synod Document – Calling UK Bishops To Show Leadership

vatican-cityIn pastoral terms, the document published today by the Synod of Bishops represents an earthquake, the “big one” that hit after months of smaller tremors.

The relatio post disceptationem read aloud in the synod hall, while defending fundamental doctrine, calls for the church to build on positive values in unions that the church has always considered “irregular,” including cohabitating couples, second marriages undertaken without annulments and even homosexual unions.

Regarding homosexuals, it went so far as to pose the question whether the church could accept and value their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine…

At least one bishop asked what happened to the concept of sin. The word “sin” appears only rarely in the 5,000-word relatio.  Read more

Catholic teaching and the natural moral order cannot be compromised. The document proposed as a basis for further discussion by the Bishops of the world is a disgrace and must be rejected outright by all Catholics, everywhere. Nobody who accepts the contents of that “earthquake” document should have the temerity to describe themselves as Catholics. By definition, they are not remotely Catholic.

We call on the bishops of the UK (and, indeed, Ireland) to show leadership in this matter. They (especially the Scottish Bishops) have taken great care throughout the pontificates of recent popes, to wear the mask of orthodoxy, at least on occasion, in public. Time now to speak out, time to demonstrate that claimed orthodoxy. Some of us have never been convinced of it – here’s their chance to prove us wrong.

• jobstears

This is in reply to your post of Oct 26, I:17 a.m, “Sure, our Modernist Popes, bishops and priests have played a role in so unprecedented a crisis, but let’s not forget either that these are Catholics who do not have a correct disposition of soul, perhaps through neglect of prayer or some kind of sinful lifestyle they have no desire to give up”. That is true, almost without exception, for those among my family and friends who are either, lapsed or (worse still) cafeteria-style Catholics.

October 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Jobstears and Athanasius

In response to your posts.

I am trying to find the correct form of words to explain what I mean, so please bear with me.

Speaking personally I can say that there is nothing saint-like in me that makes me worthy of knowing what is right and what is wrong in the terrible situation in which we find ourselves. There are many people in my personal knowledge who are more worthy, and yet who seem to be blind to the danger in which we stand – indeed who have “gone over to the other side”. Indeed, reading many of the posts here I am humbled by the example shown, but I think it is a mistake to think that it is only, and necessarily, because of “neglect of prayer or some kind of sinful lifestyle” that is the cause of the indifference and neglect of what is due from a faithful Catholic. I know of 2 priests, both “White Fathers”, one of whom risked his life on many occasions in Africa, and both of whom lost the Faith. It is a deep mystery to me that they did so. They did so much more for God than I have ever done.

We can only be profoundly grateful (and profoundly fearful) that in these circumstances grace has been accorded to us.

October 26, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Therese,

Let me begin my response by saying that I did not rule out the Modernist errors of the Church’s authorities as contributing to the apostasy of so many Catholics in our time. Of course it has played a major role in weakening faith and hope in a good many Catholics, and has contributed massively to general indifference to divine truth.

As regards the other aspect, that of lost faith because of neglect of prayer or of unrepented sinful living. It is the teaching of the saints that faith is not lost suddenly, but by degrees over a period of time. God alone knows what happened to the souls of those two White Fathers you mentioned, but just look at what became of Judas Iscariot. It was not so much his sin that sent him to Hell as his despair of God’s mercy. It is a favourite trick of the devil to convince souls steeped in sin that there is no hope for them. Others he manages to keep away from confession by exaggerating the shame of their sins. It’s a mystery indeed, but prayer, or the absence thereof, plays a major role in the way Catholics behave.

October 26, 2014 at 11:31 pm
      • jobstears

Therese,

I don’t think God plays favorites, He gives each of us the necessary graces, but we have to cooperate with them, as Our Lady did.

I do think though, that neglect of prayer (St. Alphonsus said, “If you pray, you are positive of saving your soul. If you do not pray, you are just as positive of losing your soul”) and lifestyle are what make it possible for us to refuse to cooperate with the grace given us. According to St. John of the Cross, if I have within myself, a bedrock of unmortified desires and inclinations, it would be sufficient to keep me from responding to the many invitations of grace God sends my soul.

I agree with you, “We can only be profoundly grateful (and profoundly fearful) that in these circumstances grace has been accorded to us”.

October 27, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Jobstears,

I don’t think anyone disagrees with anything you, or Athanasius, has written on this, but if someone has not been taught about prayer and if those who are charged with teaching them, teach them to bring rocks and other new age nonsense to the classroom for meditation purposes etc. then that learner is disadvantaged big time.

Of course God gives every soul the grace needed for salvation but He has largely charged His Church with the work of communicating the knowledge and grace necessary. That is His ordinary means of communicating grace. That’s why we go to Confession, why we want the Last Rites, not because God cannot communicate His grace to us without these means – He can: Christ is not bound by His sacraments. However, that is the ordinary means of salvation and if young people are not properly taught the Faith, about its necessity for salvation, and the efficacious power of the Sacraments, then there is a greater risk of them being lost for all eternity.

In the CCC we read that “God wills that we be saved through knowledge of the truth” (“the truth” in italics in CCC) so it is crucial that sound knowledge of the Faith be taught in schools, homes and parishes. Cardinal Winning (deceased former Archbishop of Glasgow) acknowledged that three generations of Catholics had been lost to the Faith through the failure of the schools to pass it on and it is certainly simplistic to argue that the empty churches around the world are a result of the absentees not praying enough. Believe me, the story about the new age rocks is not something I invented. I’ve met pupils in Catholic schools who were told to bring in rocks for their lesson on prayer. I also met one challenging primary school boy who had been referred to a Counsellor. Her advice to this Catholic school attending pupil, to help his temper, was to carry a small rock in his pocket, so he could grasp hold of it when he felt his temper rising. Not rosary beads, notice, not advised to stop and say a Hail Mary, but a rock. When I explained to him that the rock had not one jot of power, while the Hail Mary did, and could change him, he looked at me as if I were the one needing help. So much, then, for the much lauded “Catholic school ethos”.

The saints you quote are speaking of those of us blessed to have been taught the truths of our Faith and who fail to follow through with the practise. Not those who have not been properly grounded in our religion. We’ve had popes, bishops and priests telling us (not just giving the impression any more) that one religion is as good as another. So, I do not think for a second that lapsation can be placed on the shoulders of those who are victims of the current crisis in the Church. This blog exists to fill that gap, of course, that those who have not been taught or were inadequately taught and who need to learn more now that they are aware of the Church crisis, and for those modern and ill informed Catholics, there can be no excuse. We meet with those who have either not been properly taught or are old enough to know better but prefer to stick with the “reforms” of Vatican II because it makes life easier for them – they, certainly, have something to answer for because their own children and grandchildren will be mal-formed due, in part at least, to their negligence. The modern diocesan Catholics quote the popes and bishops to justify going along with the novelties in their parish.

That’s where the criticism of the hierarchy, from the Pope down, is entirely justified. The fact of the negligence of the hierarchy stands alone, independent of the fact that God will work in souls, despite them. It is the fact that they failed in their elementary duty to teach and preach the Faith in its entirety and with conviction, that will haunt the hierarchy at their judgment. I’m sure I didn’t pray a quarter as much as I should have in my youth, but I was blessed in having some teachers at least who were sound and convinced of the Faith, especially one who told us that we could only learn a certain amount in religion lessons and we had a baptismal duty to keep educating ourselves in the Faith, by reading as much as possible. That advice stayed with me. Youngsters today are receiving contrary advice from teachers and priests, who tell them not to be “homophobic” etc.

That’s the nature of the crisis in the Church. It’s not a one-size-fits-all issue but the larger portion of the blame for the widespread apostasy today, must lie with the clergy and hierarchy, especially with the modern popes. And I think it is clear from many statements from Fatima scholars and from Cardinal Ciappi (“In the Third Secret it is revealed that the crisis in the Church begins at the top”) that Our Lady thinks so as well.

October 27, 2014 at 3:36 pm
      • jobstears

I don’t disagree with you, and in no way was I implying that the hierarchy is not to blame! Far from it.

I was simply referring to one lot of Catholics – the ones who ought to know better.

October 28, 2014 at 12:18 am

Jobstears,

Well, in that case, you’re back at the top of the pay scale. Those words (“Editor, I don’t disagree with you”) are music to mine ears!

October 28, 2014 at 12:30 am

Jobstears,

It seems every family has its fair share of indifferent Catholics. I just thought it was important to make the point for balance’ sake.

October 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm
  • Summa

The more I think about the Synod and how it was set up by Francis to start weakening the foundations of the Church via a direct attack on doctrine, the more it makes sense, when you consider it as a simple continuation of Francis’ attack on the Petrine Office.

By simultaneously eroding public perception and expectations of what both the Papal office and Catholic teaching should look like, Francis is at one and the same time attempting to fast track the expulsion of Holiness from Catholicism and instead produce some kind of happy cult.

There is so much here you might consider as evidence, but the refusal to adopt Traditional Papal custom by staying in an flat says more for than everything else. Why? Well I think that this continual act of belligerence that has set his tone of Pontificate so far as one which is at war with his predecessors. He will not acknowledge Papal authority publicly (but as we have seen he will use the iron fist when he can get away with it, under the mainstream media radar) by refusing to take up the Papal Office materially. He will not acknowledge Papal Authority publicly by coming out with ridiculous “Who am I to judge?’ quips.

In fact everything he does is an act of Laicism. Everything is planned, everything is designed to chip chip chip away.

There is a perception amongst Conservative and Traditional circles that Francis is a loose canon. How wrong you are if you think that, as I previously did. His attacks on the Church are calculated, targeted and hitting home.

October 26, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I completely agree – Cardinal Nichols is being very dishonest in the way he reports on the Synod to his archdiocese. However, given his support for the Soho Masses, I think we already knew that he does not have a Catholic conscience.

October 27, 2014 at 5:44 pm