Bishop Athanasius Schneider: The Synod on the Family & The New Pharisees…

Bishop Athanasius Schneider: The Synod on the Family & The New Pharisees…

Bishop SneiderIn fact the bishops who support Holy Communion for “divorced remarried” are the new Pharisees and Scribes because they neglect the commandment of God, contributing to the fact that out of the body and of the heart of the “divorced remarried” continue to “proceed adulteries” (Math 15: 19), because they want an exteriorly “clean” solution and to appear “clean” as well in the eyes of those who have power (the social media, public opinion). However when they eventually appear at the tribunal of Christ, they will surely hear to their dismay these words of Christ: “Why are you declaring my statutes and taking my covenant in your mouth? Seeing you hate instruction, and cast my words behind you, … when you have been partaker with adulterers” (Ps 50 (49): 16-18).  Read more

Is Bishop Schneider correct to be so outspoken in his criticism of the Synod bishops?  Isn’t he failing in “charity”?  Does he risk developing a “schismatic mindset”?  Is he likely to be “re-assigned” soon? Wouldn’t he be wiser to remain silent and simply pray at this time?  Comments invited.

Jobstears,

“I’ve watched a ‘good’ priest go through marvellous mental contortions as he tries to justify ecumenism and still hold that indifferentism is a sin, when it would have sufficed for him to point out what the Church has always taught about ecumenism. But he didn’t. The same priest invites families to the TLM while holding that the NO is every bit as good, and simply because V II says so, would you care to bet whether that family has come back to the TLM? This is what I meant by good priests adding to the confusion.”

I wish I’d read your post before answering Christina’s – you’ve said exactly what I was trying to say only better and in fewer words. I have to admit, that those who accuse me of never using two words when twenty will do, are (I’m ashamed to say) absolutely correct!

November 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    • jobstears

If you’d used two words instead of twenty, my little arsenal for defense of Tradition would never grow!

“Modernism, by its nature, causes confusion…. So, for those seeking leadership from the hierarchy in this crisis, to find a few bishops speaking out against the dissenters on one particular issue (marriage) but not on others, is confusing and most Catholics will, naturally, continue to think the other issues are not really issues at all”.

And “For them to act as true “beacons”, they need to be able to lead the faithful away from ALL the errors of Vatican II and its aftermath. Being a little bit orthodox is not the answer”.
      Exactly!

November 9, 2014 at 2:48 pm
  • Christina

Bah!. I’ve just written another post in answer to Jobstears, but it dropped off the screen! Don’t say ‘Phew, that’s a relief’ too soon, as I might have another go tomorrow.

November 9, 2014 at 1:42 am
    • jobstears

Phew, that’s a relief !!!! 😉

November 9, 2014 at 2:20 am
      • Christina

Jobstears – shortlived!

I am a longtime SSPX Sunday Mass attendee (and sometimes on other days) – so please believe me when I say I understand perfectly why you think as you do about the subject we were discussing, when I was so cruelly thwarted by an angel of light or darkness – I know not which. And in an ideal world every bishop and priest who has educated himself about how Vat.II was conducted, manipulated, sowed with time-bombs, based on the theology of modernist and therefore heretical theologians, etc., he would show a clean pair of heels and knock on the nearest SSPX priory door.

but we are not living in an ideal world. You have given an example of the mental contortions of a ‘good’ priest, and I have met many such. But I have also met priests who didn’t have to.wriggle.. One I knew very well preached from his old copy of the diocesan pre-Vat.II ‘sermon syllabus’ which was used in his younger days by every priest in the diocese – or else! In the course of the year an adult version of the ‘Penny Catechism’ covered all the doctrines of the Church, so ecumenism was correctly described as a sin against the first Commandment – ‘taking part in the services or prayers of a false religion’. He had only fully orthodox pamphlets in his CTS rack, none of the diocesan-spewed rubbish in his porch,no invitations from ‘churches together, no collection for CAFOD, etc., etc. His parishioners formed one of the most devout and Catholic congregations I have ever seen. There have been many such priests in my experience who are, I think, pragmatists. They run their parishes and teach the faith to their flocks without raising their heads above the parapet. Again you might condemn them for this, but what if they did? One priest in the English Lake District did raise his head, and guess what happened? His erstwhile flock have now got a modernist in his place. Poor flock! Another dear and very holy Jesuit mentioned the crisis in the Church in a sermon and was prevented from preaching in the Jesuit-run church again.

The point I am trying to make is that the Catholic laity at large knows little about the true Catholic faith – they are at the mercy of the wolves.Given also that they have been indoctrinated for years with the lie that the SSPX is schismatic, If every priest with ‘traditional’, i.e. Catholic, ideas were to join the SSPX, what would happen to those sheep?

I think ot these priests, and at least a couple of English bishops, as ‘good trees’ in the mainstream Church, and hope and believe that slowly but surely, and by the grace of God, their sacrifices (and they are many) will bear good fruit.

November 9, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Christina,

I agree with what you say because if all the traditional leaning priests were to speak out they’d be sent into exile. Saying that, though, I think in an ideal world more of them would show some heroism.

November 10, 2014 at 1:02 am

Christina,

“…in an ideal world every bishop and priest who has educated himself about how Vat.II was conducted, manipulated, sowed with time-bombs, based on the theology of modernist and therefore heretical theologians, etc., he would show a clean pair of heels and knock on the nearest SSPX priory door.”

It’s not so much “an ideal world” that is needed because the world was not “ideal” at the time of the Reformation when only one of the English bishops (John Fisher) stood up to be counted and paid the ultimate price as a result. There’s something else at play here, along the lines of those priests/bishops who are “good” in certain issues are not, really convinced in others. They have, in fact, been affected by the errors of Vatican II – and thus share in the diabolical disorientation to a lesser or greater degree. So, for example, Bishop Schneider, very clear on the wrongness of Communion in the hand, nevertheless defends and promotes ecumenism. That’s the nature of this crisis in the Church. Modernism is, by its very nature, a source of confusion.

I really do not think we are in (much!) disagreement about this – we all recognise the goodness of those priests and bishops who are taking some level of stand against the tsunami of evil evidently afflicting the hierarchy, right to the top, at this time. But, if (as I believe) God has given us the SSPX to see us through this crisis, then it cannot be logical to consider it an option.

It took me long enough to “get there” myself, so believe me, I understand the issues, but – at this very late stage (have you READ Mgr Loftus’s latest two article on the Synod in the anything-but-Catholic Times?) – it is becoming more and more difficult to comprehend why those who see the gravity of the situation re. the recent attacks on marriage, cannot see the rest and act on it.

November 10, 2014 at 10:03 am
      • Christina

No, I haven’t read Mgr. Loftus’s articles – after what I’ve learned on the blog about him I don’t really think I want to. i cancelled the C(not) T years ago as it’s run by the bishops. Now I’ve given up the CH as well and only know what’s going on via CT & this blog. Keep up the good work!

November 10, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Christina,

High praise indeed! You’re racing up the payscale!

November 11, 2014 at 1:00 am
      • jobstears

Christina,

I agree this is not an ideal world :(. I am no expert on the crisis in the Church but from surveying the damage around me, and seeing the abysmal ignorance of the Faith (even in Catholics who attend the TLM) makes me skeptical of how good priests can undo the damage without speaking up.

What would happen to the faithful if the good priest was exiled? Maybe his example and his sacrifice (like the blood of the martyrs) would suffice to nurture the seeds he’d planted.

November 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Jobstears,

A very thoughtful post indeed. There is no doubt that heroism of the kind we long to see would, indeed, bear much spiritual fruit. I think, however, from conversations I’ve had with a few secular priests (and even traditional priests defending them, would you believe) that they tend to belong to the school of thought which fears “abandoning” parishioners.

The logic is that while Father remains in post quietly battling the crisis to the best of his ability, the faithful are, at least, receiving some crumbs of the Faith and Morals. With Father gone, they’d starve to death.

Certainly, we cannot make any definitive judgment on these (obviously well meaning) priests but I can’t help thinking that, in their shoes, my conscience would be troubled.

November 11, 2014 at 1:07 am
      • Christina

Sorry to keep on about this – as you may have guessed I feel strongly about it!

Most of the laity are religiously illiterate. It isn’t their fault, they’ve been brainwashed by the errors of Vat.II. Many have lost the faith, thanks largely to the imposition of the NO and suppression of the true Mass, and the fact that few faithful shepherds remain for them..
        This doesn’t mean that they can’t be reformed and re-educated, but it must be (and I speak as an educator) in stages. They have to unlearn 40 years of modernism – a whole lifetime for many, and few have had the advantages that most Catholics on this blog have had. The SSPX isn’t an option for them – they’ve never heard about it or been taught it’s schismatic, and most still think the true Mass is forbidden, have never heard of it, or think it’s boring and unintelligible. In spite of wishful thinking, road to Damascus experiences are granted to only a few, and the usual reaction of those who wander into a Mass is “Thank God we don’t still have that Mass”.

But if they are fortunate to have one of the good priests I have met in my time appointed to their parish, surely he must do good. Even if it’s only the NO celebrated with no EMs, Communion kneeling and on the tongue, no sign of peace, discouragement from treating the church as a community hall, and so on, with sermons that are based squarely on tradition (and most traditionally-minded priests I know have been very anti-ecumenism), then little by little the light may dawn – and I’ve seen it happen – gradually.

I I have great l hope, also of the ICKSP now established in Wirral and Preston. We lost more than the Mass with the liturgical changes over 40 years ago, and the SSPX priests, with their busy travelling apostolate have no time to do what the Canons can do in these two churches – solemn Mass (the normative form) on Sundays as well as daily low Mass, Lauds and Vespers, frequent Exposition, Benediction, access to Confession, evening instruction on the Mass, public rosaries, novenas, etc. etc.

Because they’re not perceived as schismatic as is the SSPX, they can attract growing congregations, and the potential for conversion is huge.

Anyway, I’ve had a good chance to say my piece(s), and I promise not to say any more on this topic – at least for now!

November 11, 2014 at 1:40 am
      • Michaela

Christina,

You seem to have struck gold where you live and if the Wirral and Preston experience (ICKSP) was the norm I think you would be correct to encourage people to go along. In the places in Scotland that I know of where the 1962 Mass is available, it’s usually an Una Voce priest who is doing so because the bishop has told him to, or a Summorum Pontificum priest who can’t upset the apple cart too much. I don’t think there are any of the traditional orders here, or if there are, I couldn’t tell you where they are.

November 11, 2014 at 2:24 am
      • Christina

Michaela, alas it’s too far away for me to get to except for odd times when I’m revisiting the place where I was born, but I’ll do my best to get to Midnight Mass again as I did last year. So come on and join me in a bit of sinless envy of the many friends I have living still in Wirral, and have a quick look at what they have going on day by day on the doorstep. I did go to the Corpus Christi procession which was wonderful – just as it used to be in every parish pre-Vat.II,

. http://domeofhome.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Remebrance-2014.pdf

And here’s a little personal story. My dear dog, Lucy, was diagnosed with cancer – a lipoma on her carotid gland – last May. Having completed the ‘Miraculous 54-Day Rosary Novena’ asking Our Lady for a miracle, the tumour was shrinking and I asked Canon Montjean to give Lucy the blessing for sick animals. To my considerable surprise, instead of asking me to go and get her out of the car and bring her to him, he came out after Mass properly vested for the little ceremony, carrying his Ritual, aspersorium and aspergillum, and marched off down the road followed by a small procession of interested parishioners. Lucy was perfectly behaved, and continues to do well.

This little story, and the list of all the pre-Vat.II Catholic liturgy and practices going on day by day in an established shrine such as this, illustrate what I have been trying to say in my recent blog entries. Whatever negative things may be said about these priests of a Society of Pontifical Right not being able to speak out, they can recreate a true living, thriving, pre-Vat.II -style parish. I thank God daily for the SSPX priests to whose Masses I usually go, but in their situation they simply cannot yet do what these ICKSP priests can do in a beautiful church given to them by a good bishop.

November 12, 2014 at 1:58 am
      • Christina

OK Ed., so there’s a quotation from Pope Francis – but it’s (amazingly) full of Catholic sentiment. And I read Bishop Davies’s letter referred to – in fact I think it was reprinted in CO.

November 12, 2014 at 2:05 am

Christina,

I’m surprised you think the quote from Pope Francis was “full of Catholic sentiment”. I didn’t think it was a good quote for November. Although he mentions “purification” he still manages to get across the idea that we go straight to “the Lord”, i.e. heaven. Maybe I’m misinterpreting but I am sure there are much stronger quotes for the month of the Holy Souls than that one. The Holy Souls are not even mentioned by name.

I remember being delighted when Bishop Davies was appointed as he seemed to be very orthodox and it’s good that he has allowed the Institute of Christ the King to work in his diocese. I wonder if he attends ecumenical events? I suppose he has to go along with so much but he is still one of the best bishops.

November 12, 2014 at 11:44 am

Christina,

I’m amazed that there was a liturgy for animals before Vatican II. I’m not an animal owner and never thought about this before, but it strikes me as odd since animals don’t have human souls, obviously.

November 12, 2014 at 11:47 am
      • Christina

Margaret Mary:

Thank you for bringing my attention to a very stupid remark of mine.You’re dead right (no pun intended) about the Pope Francis quote. For such a careless reading my only excuse is that it was read, and the comment written, at 2.05am. I must beware of blogging at that hour after a long day!

I am astonished at your amazement about the ‘blessing’ (NB the word I used) of animals.

Please scroll down the ‘Table of Contents’ on this link to the 1962 Rituale Romanum Ch.XI,(5th bullet point).

It would also help your knowledge of this subject if you Google around e.g. ‘History of blessings in the Ritual of the Catholic Church’, and you will find first of all the account of how God blessed the animals after He had created them, followed by many references to the saints, such as St. Francis, who, following His example, also blessed them.

Regarding your reference to the fact that animals do not have human (by which I take it you mean immortal) souls, as far as I know, the Church has never pronounced on the immortality or otherwise of animal, as opposed to human, souls. As C. S. Lewis said of animals, in his consideration of why, in their innocence, they share in human pain and suffering – “We know not what they are, nor why they are here”.

November 12, 2014 at 2:50 pm
      • Christina November 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Christina,

Thank you for all that info about blessing animals. I’m truly grateful as I didn’t know any of that. It’s a true saying that we learn something new every day! Yes, I should have written “immortal souls”.

That’s a very good quote from CS Lewis. I get the feeling that it will be very interesting when we get to “the other side” to know the meaning of everything and their place in God’s plan.

November 12, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Christina,

You’ve educated me, moi, on this matter of blessing animals as well. Like MM this is news to moi. Me.

But please tell me the ritual excludes spiders! I just hate them. Can’t help it. Please do NOT say they are God’s creatures. I’ve justified my hatred by convincing myself they date from the Ten Plagues… 😯

November 13, 2014 at 12:26 am

Christina

I agree. Our Lord’s advice to be “as wise as a serpent,and as gentle as a dove” holds good, especially today.

November 11, 2014 at 8:58 am

Christina,

Re your concluding sentence – feel free to say whatever you wish. I found it interesting and, believe it or not, encouraging to read about the ICKSP parishes you describe. I think a measure of the good they are undoubtedly doing, might be tested against the fact that I cannot imagine any Scottish bishop permitting them to establish the Order in any Scottish diocese. Who knows, we may end up advertising discounted train tickets to the Wirral and Preston, with a list of Estate Agents for those who are free to consider moving south of the border!

The one thing in your post with which I disagree is the argument that the faithful will have to be “re-educated” and that “in stages.” It is this argument, more than any other, really, which has succeeded in keeping “traditional leaning” priests quiet and “obedient” to their disobedient bishops. After all, the new Mass was imposed overnight. There were no “stages” to re-train our minds. It was all or nothing.

I can think of several examples – one in particular – where I’ve been in conversation with young people brought up in the new Mass, never known anything else, and who, after a relatively short one-off conversation detailing the key history of the Vatican II era, wanted to know more. In one particular case, the young person decided to go along to an SSPX Mass and never returned to the NO. Now, I hear you saying “Oh that’s Editor’s magic touch” and I’m humbled. Really. I mean, you could be right 😀 but I think of it more as being a case that the truth has its own power, truth speaks for itself. We just need to speak it and let God’s grace do the rest.

Only a few weeks ago, one of our readers noticed a young twenty something (I think) man (slightly the worse for drink) sitting at the back of our SSPX chapel before Mass. She befriended him, invited him into the tearoom and gave him coffee before returning with him to the chapel, having explained a little about the difference between this Mass and the Mass he will have attended in his parish. After Mass, she took him back into the tearoom for more coffee where he said words to the effect that this was what going to church should be like. He singled out the women wearing hats/mantillas/scarves on their heads as being “beautiful”. I honestly do not think any massive re-education programme will be necessary – in any case, the way things are going, that very late consecration of Russia will take place and we’ll see all need for “re-education” of the kind you appear to envisage, disappear. Scales will fall from eyes and order will be restored.

I do, of course, see the value in what you say about those sound priests in the traditional Orders, those who offer traditional devotions etc as well as the Mass. The one thing, however, that the faithful attending those parishes will never hear, is any serious criticism of Vatican II and its aftermath; there can be no rocking of certain boats, and so, while it is good that the things you list are available, the confusion of Modernism will continue to be a major influence even in those otherwise traditional parishes. Silence connotes consent, remember and any of those faithful attending the parishes you mention who come on here and read our blog, will continue to think of us as unfaithful and disobedient because their priests cannot preach the key distinction between true and false obedience in the context of the current crisis in the Church without incurring the wrath of the local bishop. That means their faithful remain in their ignorance. I’m trying to imagine chatting to some of those parishioners after Mass and criticising Pope Francis for his shenanigans at the recent Synod. How would they react? Would the priest agree or move awkwardly to another safer corner of the tearoom?

In any case, I’m sure we’ve said many times on this blog that, yes, attending the kind of parishes you describe is definitely a step in the right direction. All I’ve ever said on the subject is that for parents who wish their children to grow up in an exclusively traditional ethos, there’s only one place to go. I know it’s not always possible, and we all have to make do and mend in such cases (so to speak!) But for anyone who wishes to bypass the diocesan/modernist influence, the SSPX is the answer. I repeat, however, that this is not to deny the value of the other traditional Orders in so far as they are able to BE “traditional”.

PS – you are completely correct about those who are entirely negative about the TLM and I’ve heard that “I’m so glad we don’t have that Mass now” myself (in one instance from a priest) but those are the “hard cases” – typical of some diocesan Catholics we have on this blog from time to time – who would resist all and every effort to formally re-educate them anyway. God’s grace will win through in the end, if we all co-operate. Only one bishop (John Fisher) was martyred in defence of the Faith in England but the Faith was preserved there nonetheless. I’m rambling now, so I’ll sign off..

The Rambler,
        Glasgow 😀

November 11, 2014 at 10:11 am
      • Christina

Dear Rambler,

How about ‘reading between the lines’!

November 12, 2014 at 12:59 am

Christina,

There was no need to read between those lines – happily, that was a clear defence of marriage and a warning of the dissent to come. Wonderful. I hope they’ve followed it through with a condemnation of the dissent of so many bishops, including the scandalous comments of Cardinal Nichols that his only objection to the offending mid term document was that it didn’t go far enough!

I’d also love to see similar little nuggets in the “Dome” condemning all the other errors prevalent since Vatican II – but that’s really the problem for the diocesan approved traditional Orders, they have to be careful not to find themselves chucked out with the bath water, so to speak.

Having said that, there is at least a link to the “old Faith” where these Orders make available the Mass and various devotions. I’m not advocating getting T shirts printed which read “Keep Calm & Ban Non-SSPX Traditional Orders!” Not for a second. I think you know my position by now, so I won’t repeat it.

November 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm
      • jobstears

“…confusion of Modernism will continue to be a major influence even in those otherwise traditional parishes. Silence connotes consent,……their priests cannot preach the key distinction between true and false obedience in the context of the current crisis in the Church without incurring the wrath of the local bishop. That means their faithful remain in their ignorance”. I agree.

Christina,

I don’t doubt for minute that the Traditional Orders are doing good and that they are as Editor says, a step in the right direction, I don’t believe their silence is an act of prudence. They have bought the right to remain Traditional at a steep price. To decide that it is better for the faithful to have “some crumbs of Faith and Morals” rather than nothing, is not for any human to decide. Who decides which crumbs the faithful are to be fed? Those crumbs that won’t offend the bishop?

I am grateful that Traditional Orders restore some of the traditions and devotions lost after Vatican II (as do some individual priests i know, who are allowed to bring in some devotions/traditions at the discretion of the parish priest), but wonderful as these may be, the problem of ignorance remains, the faithful are certainly exposed to traditions but aren’t properly taught. How can we expect them to pass on what they don’t know?

November 12, 2014 at 3:25 pm
  • Steve

Where was that Union blessed by the priest ? Was it two women?

November 9, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Steve,

I’ve scrolled up a few posts but can’t see to which comment you are referring. Would you quote whatever it is you mean – if it’s something in the Dici report which I vaguely recall referred to a homosexual partnership being blessed by a priest, then you’d have to Google it for more information, although I can’t see what difference it makes. Two me or two women = scandal, which pair were “blessed”!

November 9, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Confirmation that Cardinal Burke has been demoted – you may wish to sign the petition: click here for more.

Note the above link was sent to me by David Skinner, an Anglican friend. See thread here to comment on his forthcoming legal action against a “gay” lecturer.

November 10, 2014 at 9:31 am
  • Leo

Christina

Thank you for all your posts. I understand what you are saying about the dilemma of “pragmatism” facing good priests, and you make your point very well, as usual. The term I’ve used before is that these priests are “on the reservation”, and no doubt, as indicated by the examples you have given, the message has been conveyed that in the event of anyone deciding to step off the reservation, “there will be no survivors”, laity included.

I think Editor has, in reply, already expressed my thoughts much better than I could, so I will just add the following thoughts to the general discussion, which I don’t expect to cause any disagreement.

There is no doubt whatsoever that amongst priests who offer the true Mass, there is a very wide spectrum of knowledge, and opinions and attitudes towards the Conciliar crisis and errors, and also towards the SSPX. I believe there are priests of goodwill whose views are gradually, by the grace of God, developing (to use, in the right sense, a word beloved of the bad guys!) in the right direction. Others, who arguably know more, could justifiably be said to be part of the problem. Whatever, there is no exit foreseeable from the unspeakable crisis of these times without a realisation amongst Bishops, priests and laity that the Faith, and not just the Mass, is the issue. Archbishop Lefebvre made this point very clearly, particularly in the aftermath of the 1988 consecrations when speaking about the Ecclesia Dei orders.

It’s also, a reasonable point to make that priests offering the true Mass are very vulnerable, for obvious reasons, whenever the Society are not within reach of the laity. Some of those who hurl the “schism” calumny at the Society would be do well to develop and exhibit a better appreciation of that fact.

The crisis of the Church at present is a crisis of Bishops. Where the local ordinary has a fraction of the qualities of Saint Charles Borromeo, or indeed the qualities which were little more than the expected norm up to 1962, the supernatural fruits become obvious. The ICKSP and the Catholics of the Wirral to whom they minister are a great deal more fortunate than some of their priests and flocks elsewhere. I know, from a one hundred per cent reliable witness that the Institute are treated with barely concealed contempt and obstruction by the so-called “conservative” Bishop of a large European diocese.

By coincidence, today we have the latest news of Father Michael Rodriguez, familiar to bloggers here. It exemplifies exactly what is under discussion.

I know it’s easy for ordinary laymen to talk, but when all is said and done, I think that faithful priests with a trust in the Immaculate Heart of Mary, faced with the decision between compromise and persecution for proclaiming the full glorious Catholic Faith, know that the path of heroism, “stepping off the reservation”, is the true path. There is no shortage of fine examples from the last five decades.Archbishop Lefebvre was offered “peace” and “regularisation” in 1976 for one novus ordo Mass. Where would the Church be now if he had accepted?

Also, I would strongly recommend the following article as an excellent setting forth of the questions facing true and loyal priests.

I have copied the following words from Father Sbicego’s two letters to the diocesan administrator, when he decided to join the Society in 2010.

“Besides being a conscientious decision, my choice of the Society of St. Pius X is based on a search for Truth, which is Our Lord, and on profound doctrinal convictions which challenged [interrogato] and sometimes disturbed me for years, to the point of calling into question the ministry that I had received. In the Society I found the deep meaning of the Catholic Priesthood, so much so that I could venture to say, ‘To many it will seem that I am leaving the diocese; in reality, as a Catholic, I am coming back home.’”

“…I think that it is high time for the Church to have the courage of the Truth, to declare it again today, because Doctrine is not her property but is rather a precious Deposit which Christ has given her: the Unicity [Uniqueness] of Salvation by Our Lord; the sense of a life directed toward the Four Last Things; the sense of Christ’s Sacrifice, from which each soul can receive saving Grace; the sense of a serious commitment, made up of self-denial and charity, which the Lord will reward at the opportune time; the sense of the True, Real Presence of Christ in the Sacred Host; the sense of Hope for all who have been crucified throughout history because Christ was the first of them and continues to be daily on the altar; the sense of a Church still capable of teaching youngsters to kneel down to recite the Holy Rosary; the sense of a Word in the service of the Holy Sacrifice; a Word illuminated by constant Tradition rather than delivered up to extemporaneous, ephemeral interpretations, to the suggestive “magisterium” of the unlikely exegete of the day, as opposed to the Magisterium of the Church.”

November 12, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Leo,

“I think Editor has, in reply, already expressed my thoughts much better than I could…”

I thought: “I’m glad somebody has recognised my genius at last” 😉

Then I read the rest of your post. What’s with the sarcasm then? 😀

November 13, 2014 at 12:23 am
      • Christina

Editor.

It takes a lot of time to be a genius. You have to sit around so much, doing nothing, really doing nothing. Gertrude Stein.

Nah. You’re not one of those. (Pay-scale??)

November 13, 2014 at 12:43 am

Christina,

Pay-scale? Bang in the middle now… I think!

Still, your quote about what makes a genius has redoubled my determination to become one. That’s definitely within my grasp!

November 13, 2014 at 9:24 am
    • Christina

Thank you Leo for your kind words and the links you have given above.

I have thought carefully about all the points that bloggers have made here, and, as I always have done, I respect all the SSPX priests for the conscientious decisions that they have made, which have here been described as heroic. I also respect those who have responded to the call to join one of the many traditional orders, as long as they’re not bi-ritual and would not obey an order from anyone to celebrate the NO. I think that they too exhibit heroism – as you have said they are in some places regarded with contempt, which cannot make for an easy life. I am convinced that they are, where successful, able to do great good in preserving the fullness of Catholic parish life for the future. It seems that there is a good amount of agreement about this. What seem more problematic are those cases of SP priests among the diocesan clergy who provide the true Mass on a regular basis. Although there are wide differences between them as regards the holding and teaching of the fullness of the faith, I still believe that those who do so hold and teach are also heroic to remain with their flocks, always in the face of hostility and criticism from fellow priests and in constant danger of being removed to some backwater by the bishop. I have respect for those among them who have made a conscientious decision, arising from true pastoral concern, to remain with and care for their flocks in these dreadful times..

November 13, 2014 at 12:31 am
  • The WILD VOICE

God Bless Bishop Schneider and Cardinal Burke. It is becoming increasingly challenging, for those who desire to follow the doctrine of the Catholic Church, to witness the bizarre changes that Francis is trying to introduce in the Mystical Body.
    I recently liked the statement of Cardinal Robert Sarah when clarifying what the real meaning of Christian charity consists of, posing a kind (but firm) correction to Francis’ doctrinally incorrect version.

November 20, 2014 at 7:24 pm

The Wild Voice,

Well said. You won’t find any of the Catholic Truth bloggers disagreeing with anything you say.

I apologise for my absence, folks, but I have a number of things with which I have to deal before I can re-establish my career as a (fantastic) professional blogger 😀 Won’t bore you with the details but be assured that I am keeping an eye on you all, as and when, and will be back in harness asap.

November 20, 2014 at 10:08 pm
  • Leo

Athanasius

Your very eloquent description of the conciliar nuclear devastation brings to mind one particular “information gathering” exercise conducted by Rome, namely the remarkably perceptive and prescient letter of 20 December 1966 from Archbishop Lefebvre to Cardinal Ottaviani, Prefect of the Holy Office. Forty eight years later, as the dwindling number of faithful Catholics wander around, confused and disorientated, in the modernist desert, that letter remains just as powerful. Maybe someday, through the intercession of Our Mother in Heaven, it will be acted on. Here are a few lines:

“The seat of the evil lies chiefly in a literature which sows confusion in the mind by descriptions which are ambiguous and equivocal, but under the cloak of which one discovers a new religion.”

“… I venture to say that the present evil appears to be much more serious than the denial or calling in question of some truth of our faith. In these times it shows itself in an extreme confusion of ideas, in the breaking up of the Church’s institutions, religious foundations, seminaries, Catholic schools – in short, of what has been the permanent support of the Church. It is nothing less than the logical continuation of the heresies and errors which have been undermining the Church in recent centuries, especially since the Liberalism of the last century which has striven at all costs to reconcile the Church with the ideas that led to the French Revolution.”

“Now this preparation” (by the preliminary commissions) “was odiously rejected in order to make way for the gravest tragedy the Church has ever suffered. We have lived to see the marriage of the Catholic Church with Liberal ideas. It would be to deny the evidence, to be wilfully blind, not to state courageously that the Council has allowed those who profess the errors and tendencies condemned by the Popes named above” (Pius IX, Leo XIII, Saint Pius X, Pius XI, Pius XII), “ legitimately to believe that their doctrines were approved and sanctioned.”

“…we can and we must unfortunately state that:
    In a more or less general way, when the Council has introduced innovations, it has unsettled the certainty of truths taught by the authentic Magisterium of the Church as unquestionably belonging to the treasure of Tradition.”

“Doubts on the necessity of the Catholic Church as the only true religion, the sole source of salvation, emanating from the declarations on ecumenism and religious liberty, are destroying the authority of the Church’s Magisterium. In fact, Rome is longer the unique and necessary Magistra Veritatis.”

“Thus, driven to this by the facts, we are forced to conclude that the Council has encouraged, in an inconceivable manner, the spreading of Liberal errors. Faith, morals and ecclesiastical discipline are shaken to their foundations, fulfilling the predictions of all the Popes.”

“The destruction of the Church is advancing at a rapid pace. By giving an exaggerated authority to the episcopal conferences, the Sovereign Pontiff has rendered himself powerless. What painful lessons in one single year! Yet the Successor of Peter and he alone can save the Church.”

Here’s a link to the entire letter:

Does anyone here think that after five decades of unprecedented apostasy, similar words would presently meet with a more attentive response? That’s the, humanly speaking, almost overwhelming crisis the Church faces.

Our Lady of Fatima, ora pro nobis.

November 20, 2014 at 10:54 pm
  • Helen

Spot on, Leo, spot on! Thank you so much for all your amazing posts. You, Athanasius a a few other bloggers have really removed the scales from my Novus Ordo eyes. May God bless you all.

November 20, 2014 at 11:59 pm
  • Leo

Helen

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words.

Speaking for myself, all I’m doing is passing on the work of others. The scales aren’t long fallen from my own eyes, but once one or two get detached, the gravity of Catholic truth and reason take over. Athanasius’ article explains exactly why.

Athanasius mentioned the late Bishop Salvador Lazo somewhere recently. His Lordship spent two years studying the material offered to him by some laymen faithful to Tradition before, with great humility, admitting that he was misguided in following the path of novus ordoism. What a great example.

Finally, Helen, I have to say that my sense of direction was a bit awry least evening. I drove onto the wrong motorway when posting the above 1966 letter of Archbishop Lefebvre. It should of course have gone onto the thread which is discussing Athanasius’ article in the Angelus. I better head for the next exit and rectify matters. People here are too polite to shout “thicko”!

November 21, 2014 at 9:50 am

Thank you for re-posting your excellent comment, Leo.

I’d ask bloggers to respond to Leo on the “Perspective… Vatican II…” thread to avoid duplication and future researchers perhaps missing out on key points.

Please and thank you!