30 November… Feast of St Andrew!

30 November… Feast of St Andrew!

The hymn to St Andrew (lyrics below) will, hopefully, ring out in Catholic churches across Scotland today, and remind us of the need to sincerely pray  the sentiment in the final verse, that Scotland yet again may love the faith, entire and true…

When Christ our Lord to Andrew cried:
“Come, thou, and follow me,”
the fisher left his net beside the Sea of Galilee.

To teach the truth the Master taught,
 to tread the path he trod
 was all his will and thus he brought
 unnumbered souls to God.

When Andrew’s hour had come,
and he
was doomed, like Christ to die,
 he kissed his cross exultingly,
 and this his noble cry:

“O noble cross! O precious wood!
 I long have yearned for thee;
 uplift me to my only good
 who died on thee for me.”

The faith that Andrew taught once shone
 o’er all this kingdom fair;
 the cross that Jesus died upon
 was honoured everywhere.

But times once changed and Andrew’s name
was for a while forgot;
the cross, though set in kingly crown,
became a sign of shame.

St Andrew now in bliss above,
thy fervent prayers renew
that Scotland yet again may love
the faith, entire and true;
that I the cross allotted me

may bear with patient love!
‘Twill lift me, as it lifted thee,
to reign with Christ above.

Comment:

This thread is simply to mark the Feast Day of our national saint, so good wishes, favourite hymns and prayers, videos, even (good, clean) Scotsman jokes are welcome here!  Happy Feast Day everyone!

• Tridentinus

I thought today was the First Sunday of Advent, and that the feast of Saint Andrew had been transferred to 1st December?

November 30, 2014 at 1:50 am

Tridentinus,

Today IS the first Sunday in Advent and the Feast HAS been transferred to 1st December, at least in traditional parishes. However, we thought that some people might be confused if we ignored our national Feast day since today is when most will be marking it. As we don’t normally mark the beginning of Advent and since we will be leaving the thread open tomorrow for those of scrupulous conscience to say “happy Feast”, we thought we would go ahead as usual and mark 30th November in the time-honoured way. Haggis and neeps will be served at 6pm prompt! However, we look forward to your Feast day greetings tomorrow, so you can ignore us for the rest of today… 😀

In any event, as Athanasius pointed out to me after Mass this morning, as long as we’re not marking St Walter Kasper Day, we’ve nothing to worry about!

November 30, 2014 at 11:56 am

“as long as we’re not marking St Walter Kasper Day, we’ve nothing to worry about!”

LOL!

November 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm
      • Tridentinus

Oh I see. It’s all very complicated.

November 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Not for us simple souls, it’s not! And they don’t come much simpler than moi 😀

November 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Tridentinus,

1st December – transferred Feast of St Andrew, 2014

Happy Feast Day!

December 1, 2014 at 11:47 am
  • Michaela

Tridentinus,

Liturgically, yes. But 30th November is the national feast day.

Happy Feast day everyone!

November 30, 2014 at 8:19 am
    • Michaela

I forgot to say a headline of “1st December, Feast of St Andrew!” wouldn’t have been quite the same for Scots – LOL!

November 30, 2014 at 8:21 am
      • Nicky

I doubt if many parishes will sing the verse about Scotland “yet again” loving the faith entire and true – that goes against the ecumenical spirit of the times.

Happy Feast to all CT bloggers!

November 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

Nicky,

Excellent point. Ecumenism and inter-faith dialogue have killed off the missionary spirit in Catholics. How sad.

St Andrew, pray for us!

November 30, 2014 at 11:58 am

Nicky,

I love that hymn to St Andrew, it’s so rousing and touches the soul, so it may not be sung in most parishes in case it brought out some of the old Catholic spirit in congregations, I’m thinking especially of that line about Scotland returning to loving the faith “entire and true”.

November 30, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Michaela,

Agreed! 1st December, doesn’t quite have the same ring about it as 30 November for St Andrew… 😀

November 30, 2014 at 11:58 am
  • Ruthie

Happy Feast of St Andrew to all CT bloggers.

November 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Happy St Andrew’s Feast to one and all.

November 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm
  • City Girl

Happy Feast of St Andrew fellow and sister bloggers!

November 30, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Yes, I second, third, fourth and fifth what everyone else has said. Happy Feast of St. Andrew to all! May he intercede for this poor lost nation whose patron he is.

May he also intercede as patron of Russia that the Pope and Bishops may soon consecrate that nation to Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart. And may he intercede as patron of Ukraine that peace and the true Faith may be restored.

November 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm

That’s so clever, invoking St Andrew as patron of Russia and Ukraine. Why didn’t I think of that? Say nothing…

November 30, 2014 at 8:49 pm

There’s always Greece. I didn’t mention Greece!

November 30, 2014 at 9:57 pm

If you’d mentioned Greece as well, I’d have just curled up and cried my heart out… Not that anyone would care… I tried that before. Doesn’t work. My mother never fell for it. “No use crying over stolen chocolate biscuits” she would say. Harsh words for a youngster to hear … right up to her 16th or was it 21st birthday 😀

Maybe we should go on strike until we get our very own patron saint. How many other countries have to share their patron with half a dozen other countries? I think I’ll start a campaign to have St John Ogilvie declared Patron Saint of Scotland.

But don’t say a word to St Andrew, just in case my campaign doesn’t take off…

November 30, 2014 at 10:57 pm

So you were one of those toffy kids whose mother had chocolate biscuits in the cupboard? By Jings! And I thought we were a cut above with custard creams.

December 1, 2014 at 12:44 am
  • BampotsUtd.wordpress.com

Reblogged this on Bampots Utd and commented:
    Happy St. Andrew’s day every1 !

November 30, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Well, I’ve often been tempted to call visitors to this site “bampots” so I’m glad to have a cast iron motive for saying, without fear of being accused of being abusive: “Thanks Bampot!”

I’ve just posted a comment on your site, to thank you for re-blogging this post, admitting at the same time that I’m not “into” football at all, so will skip the temptation to sound as though I know what I’m talking about in that regard.

A very happy St Andrew’s day to you, Bampot! I’m sure you’re not really… a bampot I mean! Which, for the sake of our visitors from various parts of the world, generally translates as “headcase” in Glaswegian-speak 😀

November 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Bampots Utd,

Unlike editor, I am into football; Celtic being my team of preference, surprise, surprise!

I have to say I was relieved to discover that your blog is football related. I thought at first that it might be the main forum of the Catholic ecumenical movement!

November 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hilarious, Athanasius!

‘Bampots’ would sum up the ecumenical movement very well.

December 1, 2014 at 11:06 am
      • BampotsUtd.wordpress.com

Hi such kind words look up the term internet bampots it’s a sport movement for change and fairness and we don’t mind being called bampots !bampots it’s is a proud world wide celtic nations sport blog one of our aims to promote saints from our region we are a multi faith site and promote fairness and good so it’s a big merry Xmas to all your readers and god bless you’s with earth this winter !

December 1, 2014 at 6:50 am

Bampot…

Unfortunately, while your group may be “multi-faith”, God is not. In fact, He chose to establish one Church through which He would dispense all the knowledge and graces necessary for his creatures to save their souls. His last words on this earth, to his first followers were an instruction to “go out into the whole world, baptising them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost”. Nothing “multi-faith” about that command.

Of course, if by “multi-faith” you mean that you promote fairness etc in sport, no matter the religion of the players and supporters, that’s different. We just need to beware of falling into the heresy of thinking that “we all worship the same God” (wrong) or that “one religion is as good as another” (wrong again.)

We also keep Christ in Christmas, at all times, Bampot. No Catholic should ever take Christ out of Christmas, so we reply to your “merry Xmas” greetings (a tad premature) with our very own “Merry Christmas to you” when the time comes.

God bless

December 1, 2014 at 11:38 am
      • BampotsUtd.wordpress.com

God bless u to and thanks for taking time to correct me
        Merry Christmas !

December 2, 2014 at 1:53 am

Bampot,

Thank YOU for thanking me – displaying a truly Catholic attitude to fraternal correction in the process!.

God bless you.

December 2, 2014 at 11:46 am
  • crofterlady

A very happy St. Andrew’s Day to one and all!

November 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm
  • Helen

Happy feast day to everyone!

November 30, 2014 at 5:47 pm
  • Lionel (Paris)

To all my Scottish friends I wish a happy and joyful Feast of Saint Andrew.
    God and Saint Andrew bless you all! LD

November 30, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Lionel,

Lovely to hear from you after a spell of absence (we missed you!) and many thanks for your feast day greetings and prayer. I think France must be one of the few countries NOT to have St Andrew as its patron !

November 30, 2014 at 11:00 pm
  • Lionel (Paris)

Please, be my guest! LD

November 30, 2014 at 11:15 pm
  • damselofthefaith

A blessed, holy and happy feast of St. Andrew to you Editor, Athanasius and all at Catholic Truth!

December 1, 2014 at 3:08 am

Thank you, DOTF. And same to you!

December 1, 2014 at 11:41 am

(Belated) Happy St Andrews day to everyone!

I saw an article in a secular newspaper discussing various ways to celebrate St Andrews day.

Sadly the suggestions were typically of this calibre: “paint a saltire on your face” etc. There was no mention of St Andrew the man, who he was and what he represents.

There was nothing in the article to suggest that St Andrew was anything to do with Christianity.

As well as an indicator of the post-Christian nature of Scotland is – this is the natural result of the Protestant reformation – It was a sad reminder of how superficial and empty mainstream Scottish identity has become in the 21st century. There nothing more to it than kilts (an English invention) and painted faces. – no genuine substance at all.

December 1, 2014 at 11:05 am

Happy St Andrew’s Day to you, as well, Gabriel Syme.

Agreed about the secularisation of the Feast – same as every other Feast really.

I’ve always thought that the kilt originated in Ireland, but I know that its origin is disputed and since we like to blame the English for everything where possible, I’ll go with you on that 😀

December 1, 2014 at 11:45 am
  • jobstears

Happy (belated) Feast of St. Andrew to everyone! Loved the hymn!

December 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thanks to all who contributed to this Feast Day(s)! thread. Closing down now…

God bless.