Pope’s Visit To Sri Lanka – Dearie Me…

Pope’s Visit To Sri Lanka – Dearie Me…

And don’t miss the video record of the visit of the Pope to a Buddhist temple

“Dearie me” is one of the (more polite) terms which we Scots use to express shock, dismay etc.  That’s how I’ve been reacting to the bits of news reports that I’ve seen on this latest papal excursion.  What’s been your reaction?   Comments invited…

Christina,

Here is a link to a Rorate Caeli report (with video) of the event http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-end-result-of-communion-in-hand.html

The only word I can think of to describe this mass sacrilege against the Blessed Sacrament is DEMONIC. The real tragedy is that a majority of Catholics no longer care about this kind of outrage, much less the Pope, the bishops and the priests who are to blame for it.

January 20, 2015 at 1:28 am
  • Fidelis

I wasn’t sure whether to post this on the General Discussion thread or here but I’ll post it here because the visit to the Philippines was alongside Sri Lanka.

I am totally horrified at this pope saying Catholics don’t need to “breed like rabbits.” What a horrible thing to say, as it says on the website, it is just exactly what bigoted Protestants used to say about Catholics in the days before “family planning” became respectable.

How long are we going to have to suffer this pope? As soon as I heard him say this on the news late last night my heart went out to family members of my own who have more than the two children considered enough these days. I dread what my sister will say about this because she’s been accusing of “breeding like a rabbit” more than once but since it came from Protestant, she didn’t pay any attention. Goodness knows what she will think and say about it coming from the pope. The man’s an idiot. Please don’t tell me I must show respect for this awful man because I haven’t got any and I refuse to believe that I am displeasing God by saying what a disgrace he is.

Also please, nobody come on to say he’s not actually changing the teaching of the Church by allowing contraception. The BBC religious correspondent said last night that he’s not changing the teaching of the Church. However, his language gives the clear impression that large families are a bad thing.

January 20, 2015 at 10:36 am

Fidelis,

Yes, I am shocked by the crudity of this Pope’s words. But never mind his low-life way of expressing himself, see the link I posted earlier on the back of Christina’s comment about sacrileges committed against the Blessed Sacrament during the Papal Masses in the Philippines. Now this is the real horror under Francis that we should be particularly outraged by and commenting on.

January 20, 2015 at 1:27 pm

It’s not just his low life way of expressing himself. It’s the way he is condoning the “responsible parenthood” mentality which is really the contraceptive mentality and IMHO he is paving the way for what is to come at the next Synod.

My parents would be stunned to know that a pope has said they shouldn’t “breed like rabbits.”

Did anyone notice that he didn’t mention that couples could abstain from sexual intercourse if they really worried about affording children? Just to make that contraceptive-type statement without explaining himself fully to show Catholic teaching will be used by all the enemies of the Church.

On the CT website the poll is about the things the Pope should have said if he was going to speak about this. Trusting in God’s divine providence and praising the self-sacrifice of Catholic parents who have large families. That’s what he should have been talking about, not “breeding like rabbits.”

Like Fidelis, I’m utterly shocked at this pope’s every word, just about.

Frankly, I hope we do not have to suffer him for long. I hope, one way or the other, God removes him from office.

January 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Margaret Mary

Spot on. You are so right to point out that the pope didn’t mention abstention; if people cannot afford to have more children than they can care for then that is the option open to them. His failure to mention this highly unpopular self-discipline will give even more support to the contraceptive-minded “Catholics”.

I’m afraid his descriptive language has something of the gutter about it. Shameful indeed.

January 20, 2015 at 9:52 pm
      • jobstears

MM, Therese,

I just read the new Francisism, it is undignified and crude. I agree with both of you in everything you’ve said. I am not surprised this pope failed to mention abstention “this highly unpopular self-discipline”, after all, why should the Church impose such a heavy burden on her children? If the pope believes Our Lady appeared to 3 little children in Fatima, and if he trusts that Our Lady does not lie, wouldn’t he take Her warning that more souls go to hell for the sins of the flesh, a little more seriously?

I don’t see how anyone can excuse this latest asinine comment from the pope. And I agree with you completely, by talking about ‘acceptable solutions’ he has given the green light to population planners, in addition he has encouraged contraceptive-minded ‘Catholics’ to stay on the path of responsible parenting, and just to remove any doubt, he has mocked and humiliated Catholics who may have been much needed examples of unselfish parenting and of a love that is synonymous with sacrifice.

January 21, 2015 at 2:56 pm

We frequently comment on outrages against the Blessed Sacrament on this blog. This is the first time any pope has talked about Catholics “breeding like rabbits” and telling them not to do it, so I think it would be strange if we didn’t comment on it. I was surprised that the link on the website let to a BBC report and not a blog thread. This is very serious indeed.

Also, frankly, I always expect demonic abuse of the Blessed Sacrament at these public Masses. That’s happening all the time now so I am not at all surprised.

January 20, 2015 at 4:32 pm
      • Fidelis

MM,

I couldn’t agree more. 100%.

January 20, 2015 at 7:01 pm
  • Christina

I agree 100% Fidelis, with every word you have said. On top of all that has been discussed here, the idea that a successor of St. Peter should, in this particular day and age, quote ‘population experts’ beggars belief. As I’ve said before, my inability to see him as anything other than a clown, as he opens his mouth in outragaeous statements and actively courts and basks in the adulation of the crowds, seriously worries me.

January 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm
    • Fidelis

Christina,

I completely agree with you – completely. Instead of quoting “population experts” he should be educated enough to know that whole nations (like ours) are ageing and we need more, not less, young people. You call him a “clown” – I admire your charity.

January 20, 2015 at 7:07 pm
  • Frankier

Fidelis

As someone who can claim to be the youngest rabbit of a warren of ten I take great exception to what this Pope has said, despite having the same name as him.

If the churches keep emptying at the present alarming rate he might have to start encouraging the breeding again or he could be out of a job.

Anyway, when people were having large families even my family was outnumbered by our next door neighbours who were protestant. There were around 14 of them and they, like us, were never short or needed state benefits and were all healthy and good people. The world (and the Catholic Church) could be doing with a lot more like them nowadays.

January 20, 2015 at 1:08 pm
    • Fidelis

Frankier,

I was worried when I read that he was going to write an encyclical on the environment because that whole environmental movement is about population control. I don’t think for a second that he is making these statements accidentally (breed like rabbits) – he knows fine well what he is saying. I don’t trust him an inch. I think Benedict is going to have a lot to answer for because he’d no business resigning and leaving the gate open for this hireling.

January 20, 2015 at 7:04 pm
      • Josephine

“I was worried when I read that he was going to write an encyclical on the environment because that whole environmental movement is about population control”

My own thoughts exactly. We need divine intervention soon, to get the Church and society back on track. Our Lady of Fatima will come to our aid.

January 20, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  • Summa

The video of hand to hand communion is so bad that it confirms for me the complete, and I mean utter finality, of a absence of reverence for our Lord amongst these clergy and laity.

January 20, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I had an email today from a gentleman in Ireland who has occasionally blogged here but couldn’t find a thread on the “rabbits” topic, so he emailed his comment to me. I think his username was “Bradders” (or maybe that was my short form! He won’t mind, I’m sure). Bradders wrote:

“I was very glad to see that you have reported quickly on Francis’ despicable remarks on large families. As you say it smacks of the Protestant bigotry aimed at Catholics with large families, like my own. This is a warning shot across the bows of traditional thinking on the family and contraception, in other words, it should be plain as a pikestaff now that here we have a prime example of doctrine, ie,, Humanae Vitae, and praxis, i.e., a wink and a nod to contraception from Francis. Doctrine and Praxis are now officially separate in advance of the October Synod. Je suis lapin/nullard! “ END.

January 20, 2015 at 11:33 pm
  • Christina

Summa, spot on, but it’s gone far beyond lack of reverence for Our Lord. As this other scandalous article shamefully illustrates.

January 20, 2015 at 11:43 pm
  • Nicky

I found these two comments about Pope Francis’ statement about breeding like rabbits on Damian Thompson’s blog:

“My heart can only go out to the beautiful young families who chose the standards of the One, True, Church and had 10 or eleven ( or more) children; as many as our good Lord intended them to have, and which they graciously conceded His Will to Him and obliged in kind. it might have been easier to have two salaries, and a larger home; but the treasure of their home after God Himself, was the beautiful loving faces and eyes reflective of love that can only be gifted by the creator. Pope Francis makes these loving True Catholic couples seem like they are as animalistic as rutting stags rather than perfectly obedient, co-creators of those formed in His image and likeness. The image of God Himself.
    Of all ( and there have been many) sad comments and days we have had to shuffle through to try and glean a speck of Catholicism from crude and superficial “off the cuff” remarks, this one has got to be the absolute worse, and worthy of never reading another Bergoglio comment again.This man cannot possibly be Catholic.

And this reply:

You are so right. Also Pope Francis appears to contradict himself. Only last week he said he would punch someone if they insulted his mother, now as one of five children it would appear that he is calling his mother a rabbit.

LOL !

January 21, 2015 at 12:47 am
    • Petrus

Further to the pope’s ridiculous comment that he would punch someone if they insulted his mother, he has now spoken of wanting to kick money launderers “where the sun never shines.” What he charming way for a pope to speak. Truly he is a penance for all right minded Catholics.

January 21, 2015 at 7:49 am

Petrus,

Do you have a source for that shocking crudity?

January 21, 2015 at 10:15 am
      • Frankier

I`m quite sure you could make up a crude statement and be certain he had said it at some point without the need for a source.

January 21, 2015 at 11:57 am
      • jobstears

Frankier,

Exactly! 😀

January 21, 2015 at 3:01 pm
  • Summa

On the rabbits comments…

We should be extremely wary of this new buffoonery from the Pontiff.
    In case you missed it, look with horror on the fall out from his idiotic “Who am I to judge?” gaff.

As Carol Robinson put it in “My Life with Thomas Aquinas”…

Scientific Population Planning

Otherwise here is what will probably happen, for indeed it is already happening. Birth control will be superseded by “The Scientific Palling of population on a large scale.” This is the new era. … No longer will a person be able to decide whether he wants children or not, or how many. All that nice arbitrary liberal stuff will be replaced by compulsion on the part of the state. Men and women will breed when they are told to, and use contraceptives when they are told to. It will still be a matter of expediency rather than morality, but not of personal expediency.

Don’t be fooled. Be alarmed. This is exactly the kind of comment that some are waiting for to underpin their social engineering.

The nod to sodomites by the Pope was chickenfeed compared to this.

January 21, 2015 at 8:41 am

Summa,

Do you have a page number/publication details for that quote. If I can use it, I’d like to do so.

January 21, 2015 at 10:14 am
      • Summa

Hi Ed.
        p52
        ISBN 0935952837
        Angelus Press
        Integrity Volume 1 – My Life With Thomas Aquinas

January 21, 2015 at 10:19 am
  • Christina

Thank you for mentioning that book. I’d looked it up on Amazon before you sent the above details and read the excellent reviews. I’m sending off for it pronto.The essays seem amazingly prophetic given that they were written in the 50s.

January 21, 2015 at 11:24 am
  • Frankier

If, as the song goes, he knew the history, he would know that some of our greatest saints would be missing today if their parents hadn`t “bred like rabbits”.

Not only is he insulting loyal Catholics he is also insulting rabbits. Maybe if he knew anything about the bible he would have used the biblical word for the ones he felt unable to judge.

I am, and will always be, proud to have had six brothers and three sisters, they never abandoned their faith, God Rest those who have now gone.

I never ever thought I would live to see the day when a Pope could be as crude.

January 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Well, here’s something we all seem to have missed and I only found out about it through a letter from a reader received this morning. I immediately checked it online and, sure enough, Pope Francis actually put a number to the “right” size of family, when he decried “breeding like rabbits”: three – click here to read more

This pope just gets worse and worse. Please don’t anybody try to excuse him on grounds that he allegedly spoke about “methods” of birth control acceptable to Catholics. For one thing, the damage has been done and the green light given to the population planners. If they’re right about the need to limit the population, why not right about the “methods”? Also, nobody should advocate NFP without explaining its clear restrictions. I’ve yet to meet anyone who does. Those who use it, in my experience (and certainly those who speak about its effectiveness and advocate it) think it is an acceptable alternative to contraception and merely substitute it, so without the Pope explaining that this is a grave sin, his passing reference to “natural methods” only adds to the problem.

January 21, 2015 at 1:07 pm

The European population has continued to shrink dramatically in recent decades, which shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Some believe that we are at the point of no return. It looks as if we may have contracepted and aborted our way into oblivion. It’s beyond ironic that the richest nations have bought into the lie that people are pollution, whilst the poorest nations, with the least resources available to them, have continued to flourish, and this, despite Planned Parenthood and its ilk targeting them for annihilation. Who says money doesn’t corrupt?

January 21, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Further to his “rabbits” comments, Francis seems to have tried to clarify what he meant:

It gives comfort and hope to see many families that welcome children as a true gift of God. They know that every child is a blessing. I’ve heard – some people say – that families with many children and the birth of so many children are among the causes of poverty. I think this is a rather simplistic opinion. I can say, all we can say, that the main cause of poverty is an economic system that has removed the person from its center

January 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm
    • Summa

Gabriel
      Francis is so weak in his Pastoral charge that not only does he confuse but embolden the wicked, as you know. Weasel words.

Contrast with the Holy Pope Pius XIII

“To recoil before an enemy, or to keep silence when from all sides such clamors are raised against truth, is the part of a man either devoid of character or who entertains doubt as to the truth of what he professes to believe. In both cases such mode of behaving is base and is insulting to God, and both are incompatible with the salvation of mankind. This kind of conduct is profitable only to the enemies of the faith, for nothing emboldens the wicked so greatly as the lack of courage on the part of the good.”

Think of Pope Francis in the context of this excerpt from SAPIENTIAE CHRISTIANAE.

January 26, 2015 at 12:41 am

Typical Modernist double speak. Say one thing and then say the opposite. Take your pick on what you want to believe.

January 21, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I agree Therese, particularly when you say “take your pick”, I think that sums up Francis perfectly.

January 21, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Yes, first he says what he really thinks, then (when all Hell breaks loose and his aides tell him some damage limitation is required to shut up all those “rigid traditionalists”), then he trots out the “clarification” – i.e. what he (is told by his aides) should have said in the first place.

Charity never was my strong suit.

January 21, 2015 at 10:40 pm
    • jobstears

You are dead right! And not at all uncharitable!

January 22, 2015 at 2:24 pm
      • Petrus

Jobstears

I couldn’t agree more. It is not uncharitable to tell the truth! I notice eileenanne has been quiet recently. I wonder what she thinks of these outrageous statements from the pope!

January 22, 2015 at 5:36 pm
    • Summa

Ed. Concerning your charity comment, which I know was tongue in cheek, but nonetheless…

“Catholic doctrine tells us that the primary duty of charity does not lie in the toleration of false ideas, however sincere they may be, nor in the theoretical or practical indifference towards the errors and vices in which we see our brethren plunged . . . Further, whilst Jesus was kind to sinners and to those who went astray, He did not respect their false ideas, however sincere they might have appeared. He loved them all, but He instructed them in order to convert them and save them.” – Pope St. Pius X, Our Apostolic Mandate, August 25, 1910.

January 24, 2015 at 10:46 am

Thanks Summa for that great quote from St Pius X. I knew I couldn’t be right to accuse myself of being uncharitable. I mean, moi? Me? But in my great humility, I thought I ought to consider the possibility… 😀

January 24, 2015 at 11:34 am
      • jobstears

Summa

Thank you for that quote. This what I love about this blog- the REAL Catholic perspective on anything and everything!

January 24, 2015 at 1:52 pm