Same-Sex Vote: Priests For YES – Resign!

Same-Sex Vote: Priests For YES – Resign!

FrEgan2Fr Adrian Egan (above) published a letter in the Irish Times, 30 April, in which he asserted his intention to vote YES in the same-sex marriage referendum to take place in Ireland on 22nd May. Click on the photo to read his letter, published on a new website called Priests For Yes – I mean, can it get any worse?  Brazen priests boasting about their support for unnatural and immoral sexual behaviour, basing their opinions on a childish understanding of “love” and “equality”.

Then another priest, Fr Brian O’Fearraigh, announced (to his congregation at Mass) that he, too, would be voting YES.  It’s not a Church matter, it’s a state matter was his crackpot defence.  What was that about “diabolical disorientation”?  You bet… For if the Devil isn’t working in these priests, I can’t think what’s driving them – definitely not logic, theology, scripture or even elementary knowledge of the natural moral law.   Here’s the report from the Irish Examiner – brace yourself…

“In voting Yes we are saying that the state will be recognising and cherishing all of it’s citizens regardless of their sexual orientation or who they are,” said Fr O’Fearraigh.      FrBrianOFearraighDonegalPriestMarRef_large

Fr O’Fearraigh said that his conscience is clear with regard his decision, regardless of the fact that his bishop, Bishop of Raphoe Philip Boyce, had publically declared he would be voting No.

“The reality of same-sex marriage is a reality that in no way threatens me or in no way offends me as an individual, as a priest and ultimately as a citizen of this state.”

Barry Jones, a spokesperson for StandUp4Marriage, a group advocating a No vote was speaking on the same station to Greg Hughes and said that the referendum was “a matter for every individual, it’s as simple as that, and that is a matter for him whatever way he wants to vote. It certainly sounds to me that he [Fr O Fearraigh] is misguided”.

The referendum takes place on May 22Source – note, includes short audio clip of Fr O’Fearraigh defending his indefensible position.

We’ve had a number of threads to discuss the forthcoming referendum in Ireland.  This thread is not about that. It’s about the following:

1)  how come these priests have no awareness of the nature and purpose of conscience?

2) why is their Superior/Bishop not insisting that they resign from active priestly ministry? Do you think they should resign?

3) What should Catholics do if their priest publicly announces his intention to vote for same-sex marriage or otherwise publicly attacks dogma or morals?  I once told a priest after Mass that if he did that again, I would publicly correct him. Should we do that, even though, I’m told, technically it’s against the law of the land. Does anyone care?

Finally….

The key question MUST be asked and answered:  is it possible for a Catholic priest to “disagree” with God’s natural moral order and undermine the Church by handing over guardianship of God’s objective moral law to the State?  Is that possible? And still remain in a position of influence over the Catholic people, to feed them stones instead of bread?  What does Canon Law have to say on the matter?

There are two very interesting pieces on the Irish referendum result currently published on the Rorate Caeli website.

The first is a short commentary on why the four sins that cry to Heaven for vengeance, may not be the most serious sins – click here to read that one and here to read a “post-mortem examination” of Ireland post-referendum.

Plenty of food for thought in both items. As the Archbishop of Dublin might say – reflect!

May 27, 2015 at 10:40 pm
  • Frankier

I see Andy Burnham has stated that the Catholic Church needs to be brought into the 21st century after the Irish referendum results.

I would have thought that he would have been more concerned about the British establishment being brought into the 20th century even if he wishes ever to be Prime Minister.

May 27, 2015 at 11:56 pm

He’s firing at an easy / popular target (for the British media) in order to distract attention from the utter shambles the Labour party is in across the UK.

Maybe also trying to win support of the powerful homosexual lobby for a leadership bid, given his dinosaur trade-union backers are ever less popular in society and in the labour party.

He’s an idiot and it wont work.

May 28, 2015 at 12:05 am

Hes a practicing Catholic too

May 28, 2015 at 12:17 am

An Internet search shows that he is a practising Catholic, quelle surprise!

May 28, 2015 at 12:15 am
      • Frankier

Gabriel

I think he’ll need a bit more practice before he gets the hang of it.

May 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  • Christina

I AM surprised. The usual expression is a ’devout’ Catholic’ – as in that Fine Gael devout Catholic, interviewed on BBC news, who voted ‘yes’ because he loves his simpering sodomite son.

May 28, 2015 at 12:43 am
    • Fidelis

“The usual expression is a ’devout’ Catholic’ – as in that Fine Gael devout Catholic, interviewed on BBC news, who voted ‘yes’ because he loves his simpering sodomite son.”

LOL!

May 28, 2015 at 7:26 am
  • tommy

Ireland has been over-run by mini anti-Christs. already we’re see’ing a push for the liberalisation of abortion,euthanasia and just yesterday a call to out-law reasonable chastisement of children in the home.

I think that this country has placed itself under a curse, given that we have ignored Our Lords Divine warning “WHAT GOD HAS PUT TOGETHER LET NO MAN PUT ASUNDER”.

It maybe that Irelands apostasy was foretold at Knock. According to a well informed friend who has studied the story in detail over many years that one of the curious things about knock was that none of the visionaries actually stayed to the end of the apparition!

May Our Blessed Lady intercede for us all.

May 28, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Tommy,

I thought the curious thing about Knock was that Our Lady remained silent throughout. I remember thinking that, given the reputation of the Irish for talking people to death, Our Lady probably couldn’t get a word in, but whatever, you are right to invoke her intercession now. How Ireland needs it.

May 28, 2015 at 10:36 pm
      • Frankier

Tommy

For whatever reason Our Lady came to Knock it certainly wasn’t for the craic or she would have said knock,knock.

May 29, 2015 at 1:34 am
      • tommy

Your right about the propensity of the Irish to talk plenty, however there were far too many voices silent during the present fiasco.

May 29, 2015 at 10:21 am
  • Frankier

Tommy

Maybe it should now read “What God will put asunder is what (Irish) men put together”.

May 28, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Frankier,

I like it – that’s clever, is that, as they say in the north of England!

May 28, 2015 at 10:39 pm
  • Frankier

Why are Catholics devout, even the turncoats, when Protestants are staunch?

I read on a self-confessed, Irish-immigrant-from-Scotland, atheist`s blog the other day where Mary McAleese (the one who brought peace to Ireland all on her own) is a “devout” Catholic who voted yes.

Would the word devout along with Catholic not be an oxymoron when used describing these people, or would moron suffice?

May 28, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Frankier,

“Moron” – defined as fool/stupid – would suffice. With rainbow ribbons attached…

May 28, 2015 at 10:39 pm
  • Spudeater

Frankier,

I think it could all boil down to severe confusion surrounding the simple difference between upper and lower case letters.

The reason blockheads like McAleese and Burnham (and Keith Vaz and Iain Duncan Smith among many others in Britain along with stunpolls like Kerry and Biden in the U.S.) say and do such pitiable things is because they take a catholic view (as in universal or general) of life which holds that anyone can do what they like “so long as it doesn’t hurt other people” as opposed to a Catholic view which sees everything ‘sub specie aeternitatis’ (under the aspect of eternity).

There’s that proverb that starts ‘For want of a nail, the shoe was lost’. Well for these wretches, they may find that for want of an infant school-level grasp of the implications of one of the most basic rules of written English,they could end up experiencing a lot of ‘discomfort’.

May 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Spudeater,

Well said. Especially the “sub specie” bit and the “For want of a nail” bit. Yes, definitely well said 😀

May 28, 2015 at 10:41 pm
  • Christina

Why are Catholics devout, even the turncoats, when Protestants are staunch?

I love it Frankier!. That hadn’t struck me before, and ‘staunch’ is such a little-used word in other senses anyway. Apparently (I’ve looked it up of course!) it means very loyal and committed and also (of a ship) watertight. As it originates via the Middle English word meaning ‘watertight’ from Old French ‘estanche’ meaning ‘dried up’, ‘weary’, then I assume Protestants are a rather tired, sorry bunch but at least they don’t suffer from eneuresis.

Anyway, all is not doom and gloom. This morning the BEEB gave both Catholics and catholics a rest and started on the Methodists.

May 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm
  • Christina

Oops, sorry Ed. I hadn’t read back to where you gave the final no-longer-to-be-off-topic-in-this-direction warning. I’ll put myself on the naughty step.

May 28, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Christina,

You’re forgiven – that was too good to ignore so thank you for posting it. As you say, if the BBC is giving us a rest, it’s headline news!

Here’s more headline news – Cardinal Burke (what on EARTH would we do without him these days?) really slaps Ireland hard for doing what even the pre-Christian pagans didn’t do – read here…

May 28, 2015 at 10:52 pm
      • Attono

Only for Pope Francis speaking out the yes vote would have been much bigger. He did speak out didn’t he, or was it just a dream I had?.

May 29, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Attono,

If Pope Francis was in it, it’s a nightmare – and no, he shockingly did NOT speak out.

I had a thought today and since that’s not a regular occurrence, I decided to share it here.

When I read somewhere the phrase that “Ireland has been lost to the Church” it made me think of Our Lady’s Fatima warnings that whole nations will be annihilated – which I, like most people I suppose, have always taken to mean geographically off the map. Father Gruner, RIP, used to say that it was the only part of the Fatima message that we know, not to have been fulfilled. If, however, the “annihilation” refers to the loss of whole nations (like Ireland) to the Faith, then that would clearly put Ireland and her faithless bishops and yes-voting priests in the frame as perhaps the first nation to fulfil the Fatima prophecy of nations that will be annihilated.

Is there anybody out there who thinks I’ve got a point? Am a genius? Or simply, as usual, crackers. SPEAK!

May 29, 2015 at 4:35 pm
      • Attono

You may be crackers, but if by that you mean cream crackers with cheese, it is a lovely way to be crackers so to speak. I think you may well be right in what you said. I think the Irish suffer from an inferiority complex, always looking across the water to see what other’s think of us. The writing was on the wall a few years ago when we sent a turkey to the Eurovision Song Contest.

May 29, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Attono,

I never thought I would see the day when I would be thrilled to be told I’m crackers. Thank you! And I LOVE cream cheese!

You are now moving up the pay scale fast, Attono!

May 29, 2015 at 7:35 pm
  • Spudeater

If soldiers in the First World War wanting to be sent back home could affectionately refer to Britain as Blighty, perhaps from now on John Bull’s Other Island should be unaffectionately referred to as Blighted – and I’m not referring to the pestilence that devastated the potato crop in the mid 19th Century. The situation now makes the Famine look positively benign. Blighty and Blighted – has a certain ring to it.

I know boasting is generally to be frowned upon but I got one of Ed.’s much coveted smiley emoticons. As Lydia from the Acts of the Apostles might have said after converting, “I can dye happy!”

May 29, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Spudeater

“As Lydia from the Acts of the Apostles might have said after converting, “I can dye happy!”

Hilarious! Love it! And for good measure…

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

May 29, 2015 at 7:37 pm
    • Jobstears

Spudeater,

If one emoticon from Editor is sufficient to make you ‘dye happy’, what do you think Editor is trying to say with 6 smiley emoticons??????

May 29, 2015 at 8:04 pm
  • Christina

You’re a genius Ed. Would “In Portugal the dogma of the faith will always be preserved etc.” tend to indicate that ‘annihilation’ might mean the loss of faith?

May 30, 2015 at 1:23 am
    • Jobstears

Christina,

You are right! Editor is a genius!! Annihilation might very well mean loss of faith.
      In which case, nations are destroying themselves at an alarming rate.

Would you say the warning of Our Lady at La Salette that there would be a time when we wouldn’t have the Mass, could mean the time of the NO mass?

May 30, 2015 at 2:19 pm
      • Christina

I don’t know, but I’ve very often wondered. When I occasionally had to go to an NO Mass that was particularly bad, the words ‘abomination of desolation’ used to come unbidden into my mind, but I always tried to push them away.

Psst. Why haven’t we both gone up the pay scale?

May 30, 2015 at 11:34 pm

You have! You have! I was just coming in to say both Christina and Jobstears have SHOT up the payscale! I was beginning to think nobody would ever realise my genius! At last you two have proven me wrong! And of all the things that I’m glad to be wrong about, it’s that I’m NOT a genius – if you get my drift 😀

May 30, 2015 at 11:40 pm