Galloway Priest Who Consigned to Hell All Involved With Catholic Truth Under Police Investigation (but not for that!)

PoundSignSterlingShocked parishioners were told in a statement from their bishop that Father Graeme Bell, parish priest at Our Lady Star of the Sea in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire, was facing the probe after concerns came to light in recent days.

Statements were also read at neighbouring Catholic churches, St Peter in Chains in Ardrossan and St John the Evangelist in Stevenston, during services at the weekend.

It is understood the main focus of the probe had initially been funds set up for pilgrimages to Lourdes and missionary work in Guyana. It has since widened out to look at all parish finances.

One senior source in the church has said Fr Bell confessed to a problem with online gambling when confronted with the matter.

He had been due to effectively leave the church in the coming days for unrelated reasons after being given leave of absence by his bishop.

It is also understood a number of parishioners had contacted their new Bishop William Nolan’s office in the past fortnight with their concerns. At least one other notified the police.

The Diocese of Galloway’s head of finance was subsequently tasked with examining Our Lady’s parish funds ahead of the announcement on Saturday that Fr Bell was being investigated and had left the parish.

One parishioner said: “We’re utterly shocked. We knew something was up with Fr Graeme for a while but thought it was stress brought on by family issues.

“But on Saturday we were told he has now left and there’s an investigation into financial irregularities.

“The statement was in the name of Bishop Nolan but we’re told was prepared by the diocese lawyers.

“We were also told there wasn’t much could be said as the police were looking into it.”

Another said: “There are a lot of very stunned and angry people in the three parishes just now. People are in tears at mass and asking just what has been going on, to what extent and do how long. The only answers we’re being given is that the police are looking into it.

“This is money the people of the parish have given for their parish and for causes dear to their hearts.”

Bishop Nolan is currently out of the country, with the matter being dealt with by other senior clergy in the diocese.

It is understood others associated with the running of the parish financial affairs will also be asked about their understanding of how Fr Bell ran Our Lady’s in the coming days.

A statement on the website read simply: “As you will all be aware by now Father Graeme has now left our parish and Canon Poland has been appointed parish administrator.”

A specialist in church, or canon, law, Fr Bell has had a national profile on the Catholic church’s national body which deals with disputes between priests and their bishops as well as marriage annulments.

A spokesman for the Diocese of Galloway said: “Fr. Graeme Bell recently received permission from Bishop Nolan, to take a leave of absence and to resign his position as Parish Priest of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, Saltcoats. This was due to begin on Monday 1st June.

“On Wednesday 27th May a report was passed to Police Scotland alleging financial irregularities in the parish. Police enquires are ongoing and Fr Bell has vacated the parish house. The Diocese of Galloway will continue to assist the police in their investigations.”   Source

Two readers, who attended the funeral Mass of the late Tony Fraser in Our Lady Star of the Sea, Saltcoats last year, were absolutely horrified to hear an elderly lady’s apostate comment on the Real Presence. On hearing the announcement that at this Mass Holy Communion would be given kneeling and receiving on the tongue, she turned to her friend and said aloud:  “I bet you we don’t get any wine either.”  Our readers remarked later that this was a clear reflection on the state of the parish when people cannot distinguish between wine and the Precious Blood. Well, obviously the PP, Fr Graeme Bell, was otherwise engaged, other things on his mind.

Let this be yet another lesson for those allegedly concerned (about the state  of the Church) Catholics who ask their priests if it’s OK to support Catholic Truth or attend SSPX Masses.  It would save us all time and angst if these priests simply responded with a “no comment” right away.  Might minimise the impact of any shocks to come later…

But, honestly – why can’t the diocesan Catholics see the rot? Why are they not all packing into SSPX chapels? Or, at the very least, searching out the few priests with a reputation for orthodoxy, who offer some Traditional Latin Masses at least some of the time? What’s WRONG with them?  Politely, please!

To read about Fr Graeme Bell’s disgraceful announcement at one of his week day Masses that “all who contribute to and read Catholic Truth are going to Hell” dig out our November 2011 edition, Issue No. 69 – article entitled “Oh I USED to like being beside the Seaside” page 3…  You will find a copy in our archive file on the Newsletter page of our website.Click here

• Benedict Carter

Prognosticum:

“What we are now seeing is the collapse of the old system, but with nothing put in its place.”

It is clearly evident now, with the benefit of time, that the old system was dead before the end of the 1960s.

June 8, 2015 at 9:06 am
    • leprechaun

Benedict,

It isn’t that the old system was dead before the end of the 1960s.

Tradition continues,and, thanks to the foresight and devotion of Archbishop Lefebvre and the provisions he made for an on-going flow of priests to uphold Tradition, it will continue.

We have Our Lord’s promise that the gates of hell shall not prevail.

Was HAS changed is the number of souls who love Our Lord sufficiently to seek out where the faith is still practised according to Tradition, and to devote themselves to the self-denial, to the penances,to the wealth of spiritual reading, to the disciplines that are required for them to obtain God’s graces. Those who take these steps can be identified by the the joy their souls exude and the peace of mind they enjoy as a result of contributing to and sharing in the Kingship of Christ.

It is a source of great sadness to me to see my many former friends who adopted without question the lighter burdens (if any remain) of the conciliar Church and who close their eyes and their ears to my efforts to share with them the joy my soul has discovered since returning to Tradition.

As the Redemptorists used to say: “You have only one soul to save, and one lifetime in which to save it. After that comes death, judgement, and either heaven or hell for all eternity” – but even this spine-tingling blandishment is not enough to stir their case-hardened consciences.

May God have mercy on them and open their eyes while there is still time to seek Him out.

June 8, 2015 at 9:34 am

Leprechaun,

As I said in my editorial in the current, June, newsletter. I cannot fathom why every informed Catholic in the world is not packing into SSPX chapels, assuming they have one within reasonably easy reach; be that as it may, there’s just no excuse for any Catholic to continue to prop up the diocesan structures which are in fact, destroying the Church, eroding the Faith and causing massive confusion in both world and Church.

The quote in your penultimate paragraph, really says it all.

June 8, 2015 at 12:16 pm
      • Jobstears

I agree wholeheartedly! In order to arrive at that conclusion, Catholics will have to think. People don’t seem to want to think about anything past their immediate satisfactions. It really is very disheartening. Maybe we need The Year of Penance more than the Year of Mercy.

June 8, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Jobstears,

A Year of Penance would more than likely take the form of Catholics running marathons and indulging in “chocolate-fests” (count me in!) – any penance of the “pre-Vatican II” stripe would send the Modernists into a frenzy of panic that Vatican II was being undermined – 😀

June 8, 2015 at 1:56 pm
  • Nicky

In this report it says that Fr Bell has been arrested, released and due to appear in court later. http://www.westsound.co.uk/localnews/ayrshire-priest-arrested-over-embezzlement-allegations/

As far as I know, in Scotland nobody can be arrested without being charged, so putting that together with his court appearance due soon, I presume he has been charged with something to do with the parish finances.

I always feel sorry for anyone who has a major fall from grace like this, as they lose their standing in the community, probably self respect etc. I recommend we pray for him.

I do agree that a Year of Penance would be a very good thing given all these scandals in the Church. I also agree that it’s not fashionable to talk about Penance so is unlikely to take place.

June 8, 2015 at 2:15 pm
    • sixupman

Because I am not quick witted, it has only occurred to me why CT should be interested in the downfall of any priest, diocesan or otherwise. Of course, it was all in ‘the headline’ and that is where the “gloating” came in, not within the text of the ‘report’. Or so it appeared to me, as previously stated at the first instance.

Where serving clergy give witness against the Magisterium of Mother Church, that is an entirely different matter!

June 8, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Sixupman,

Do you not think it is very much against the Magisterium to announce at Mass that certain people in the congregation (and others) are going to Hell?

I thought we weren’t supposed to judge the souls of others? Would you like your PP to make that announcement?

As for why CT should be interested in “the downfall” of any priest – the whole of the crisis in the Church is caused by priests, so of course CT will report on what is going on among priests. Why are you reading and participating in this blog if you disapprove of that?

June 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm
      • sixupman

I support CT because of the excellent work that it does through the publication of the bi-monthly newsletter. The current issue [88] being a good example.

The “Blog”, whilst it may have a wider readership, appears to be a discussion within, essentially, a closed-group of self-satisfied like-thinking people talking to oneanother and anyone with a contrary view is attacked. There appears to be little, if any, benefit in that situation to the undecided.

The priest in question made an asinine statement, he misled his flock. For the first part, so what! As to the second, such should have been dealt with at the time. But to take any satisfaction from that priest’s failure, to my mind is wrong.

For the record: I merely commented upon Kennedy;s demise with an RIP. It was Madam Editor who saw fit to dwell upon that
        [alcoholic] MPs failure and the rest is history.

Where on earth is common Charity in all this? Of course, those who err are nor worthy of Charity!

June 8, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Sixupman,

I am very disappointed to read your latest comment.

I did NOT dwell on Charles Kennedy’s alcoholism – in fact I don’t think I mentioned it at all. I should have deleted your post immediately since you broke our in-house rule of sticking to the topic, but I’m so busy right now I don’t know whether I’m on foot or on horseback half the time, so I fell into the trap of commenting, but NOT on any personal failings – I mentioned ONLY his public dissent from Catholic moral teaching which was very serious indeed during his lifetime, and I pray, very sincerely, that he did, indeed repent before his death. I would be absolutely delighted if that were the case. It’s a pity all the “charity” gurus never credit me with even that minimal level of Christian charity. Just as well I don’t give a toss about anyone’s opinion – I’d have been in deep depression a long time ago!

As for these rather silly statements that we get from time to time about “this blog” and anyone who disagrees being “attacked” – blatant rubbish. If you want everyone to be nice and friendly and tolerate your every error, this, I agree is NOT the blog for you. However, it is disingenuous to describe such corrections as “attacks”. Crackers.

Our apostolate is all ABOUT correcting error in the current crisis in the Church. These errors abound at every level. Most notably, in the context of this thread, I see that if a person, especially either a family member of a celebrity of some hue, is involved, then suddenly all the theory about the need to keep the Ten Commandments goes right out of the window. If Johnny Smith or Jimmy Jones has broken each and every one, and tells the world that he doesn’t think it matters, it’s uncharitable to correct him and say that he is in the wrong, according to these types.

This false charity is mind-boggling. You can praise our newsletter – in which I’ve torn the Irish bishops to shreds, (while at the same time praying to their Guardian Angels to enable a light switch to go on somewhere in their hearts and souls when their copy arrives) and meant every word of it, wishing I had at least another page to add more, and yet you get annoyed at a conversation about this Galloway priest who unthinkably did what we are being constantly and unjustly accused of doing – consigning souls to Hell, and yet somehow, it the convoluted mindset of our enemies, we are found to be the guilty ones. And then, thanks to you taking us off topic and my inefficiency in not deleting your comment, we end up discussing Canon Law on funerals for public dissenters/manifest public sinners. Not MY personal opinion about Catholic funerals and who should be eligible – CHURCH LAW …

Look, blogging here is not mandatory. There are other blogs out there that may be more to your liking, but if you choose to come on here, do NOT insult us, do NOT describe our excellent group of regular bloggers as “a closed-group of self-satisfied like-thinking people talking to one another …” Do NOT, please and thank you, DO that!

Blog if you wish to participate in our discussions. If you’re looking for a fight, go somewhere else. Please and thank you.

June 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm
      • sixupman

I suggest, Madam Editor, you take steps to block my access to the “Blog” and therefore prevent me from succumbing to temptation of having to disagree with you and offending your sensibilities.

Matter closed.

June 8, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Sixupman,

No offence taken against my perceived “sensibilities”. I don’t have any. What I do have are character defects and, believe me, I’m not afraid to use them!

I do agree about “matter closed”- see, I’m allowing you to have the last word… 😀

June 8, 2015 at 11:28 pm
  • Helen

Editor, don’t you never get tired of all the trolls who disrupt this blog? Satan finds work for idle hands to do, springs to mind! Why don’t you just ignore them as they do cause an interruption of the flow, so to speak?

June 9, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Helen,

I’m about to post a notice on the General Discussion thread, which refers to one of our trolls who comes on here under various guises, so your question is timeous. It’s not really easy to ignore them, as you understandably suggest, because they are persistent and nasty in the comments they submit once moderated, and prior to being moderated we’re round and round in circles sometimes for days before it strikes me that I should really take action. By then the committed bloggers are emailing me expressing their (understandable) annoyance. I find it all very wearing in the extreme. From the list of young, glamorous, witty, intelligent, etc. strike “young” (and replace with “youngish”!)

In fact, I’m afraid I get so fed up with constantly have to explain to critics and trolls why we are not being “uncharitable” or “judgmental” by discussing various aspects of the Church crisis that I’ve had a number of lengthy conversations with the immediate executive Catholic Truth team and a number of our extended team members. And that’s led us to a decision, which I cannot imagine being overturned now. Basis for the decision: our work is to alert fellow Catholics to the crisis in the Church. We’ve been doing that via our newsletter since 1999, and via this blog for a good few years now (can’t remember our exact launch date off the top of my head but it feels like forever!) Any Catholic in Scotland who is not aware by now of the gravity of the crisis in the Church, is unlikely to be influenced by us at this late stage and, perhaps more to the point, those who are aware but who remain inactive and are jogging along, are clearly not going to allow themselves to be influenced by Catholic Truth at this late stage when they haven’t been influenced to date. A waste, in other words, of our time, money and effort, notwithstanding the spiritual fruits which will result from the efforts of one and all to use the blog as a contribution to the restoration of the traditional Catholic religion in Scotland and beyond. Sometimes, though, it’s necessary to “shake the dust” and move on…

There’s a lot of work involved in the blog and although we don’t mind putting in the time and the effort, it gets pretty dispiriting when there are tantrums from certain bloggers who periodically throw their rattles out of the pram, and it is dispiriting with bells on, when the critics and trolls appear and re-appear with their combination of idiocy and ignorance. By “critics” I do not mean those with a different viewpoint or take on the topic. That’s what makes for a good discussion. I mean those who come on here simply to criticise US – Catholic Truth, our bloggers and myself, personally, just for the sake of it. Drum roll.

Hence our decision – will, we, we discussed in April, or won’t we, we discussed in April pay the annual WordPress fee for the blog when it was due in early July. We decided to pay it for 2015-16 but not thereafter – we’ll let it lapse next year which means it closes down.

That announcement we were holding up our sleeves until nearer the time, but since you ask, what the heck, makes no difference. Let’s try to enjoy it while we have it online, and look forward to the rest and relaxation when its gone!

June 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm
      • sixupman

Not the last word:

Why not identify the “trolls”?

June 9, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Sixupman,

If the troll(s) persist, I will publish all of the information available about him. But again I’ve broken the rule about off topic, by responding to naughty Helen. I’ve now posted my comment about trolls on the General Discussion thread so you can read more there.

I’ve forgotten the date of the court hearing for Fr Bell so I think that will be when we learn of the precise charges against him – I’ll try to remember to check it and post it here later. In the meantime, let’s remember to pray for him at this difficult time.

June 9, 2015 at 5:25 pm
      • sixupman

What a sexist remark?

June 9, 2015 at 5:27 pm
      • Nicky

????? I don’t see any “sexist remark” ????

June 9, 2015 at 7:25 pm
      • sixupman

Madam Editor, when referring to “Troll(s)”, stated she would unmask HIM! Thereby excluding womankind from such conduct.

“Person” might have been more appropriate.

My computer skills precluded me from adding a ‘smiley’ to the comment.

June 9, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Sixupman,

You’re a case for the High Court, trying to catch me out but I have good reason for believing that Irish Eyes and his other guises is a member of the male species. More than that I cannot say, at least at the present time, nudge, nudge, wink, wink 😀

One of our former bloggers from the USA (SHE! disappeared into thin air some time ago) taught us all how to do the smiley faces. Here’s the drill…

Just type a colon = : then type the word grin and then type another colon = : without leaving any spaces. then press enter (not sure if that’s really essential but I always do it to make sure it “takes”.)

So, when I type a colon = : then the word GRIN (or SHOCK) in small case, followed by another colon = : without leaving any spaces, I get this…

😀 😯 – But only when I submit the post. You will only see the colon, word, colon, until you submit the post.*

Catholic Truth
        at your service!

* PS – feel free to do some test posts until you get it right. I’ll delete the ones that don’t work, when I see them.

June 9, 2015 at 11:39 pm

The reports only say that Fr Bell is due in court this month – doesn’t give a date, but it will probably be near the end of the month now.

I agree about praying for him. It must be very humiliating to be charged with such a crime, or any crime.

June 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm
      • leprechaun

Madame Editor

It was my pleasure to create the first Catholic Truth Scotland web site on 24th August 2000 and to register that domain name. I handed over control of the web site to you on 7th December 2006 so that you could enhance its capabilities, including the addition of the WordPress blog facility – just for the record.

May I venture to add that I have a great affection for CT and its blog, especially as I personally learned so much from it in the days when the emphasis was on education in the faith, rather than on the exchange of views which is what has encouraged the trolls to fly their kites these days.

I shall ever have cause to be grateful to Athanasius and his ilk, not forgetting yourself, for all that I learned, and for the answering of all the questions I raised.

Speaking personally, I should be very very dismayed were the blog to cease. You cannot know who reads it and benefits from it without ever making their presence known, nor how widely the contents are cited all over the world.

To close it down would be a cause of great rejoicing for Satan and all his wicked spirits who wander the world seeking the ruin of souls, so, for what my humble opinion is worth, and for the spiritual advancement of all those out there who are still outside the Fold, I earnestly urge you and your dedicated team, to continue to make the blog available.

It is so easy to tear down what has been built up over the years, and so awfully difficult to build it up again.

Madame Editor, as a corner stone, a sometimes financial supporter and an occasional contributor to the blog, I urge you to dismiss from your heid any further thoughts of closure.

God bless the work.

Leprechaun.

Ps: Let us not forget that doughty warrior Daphne McLeod and her Pro Ecclesia Et Pontifice Newsletter with which she continued to needle the bishops on their lack of provision of Catholic education until she was well into her 80s. God bless her.

June 10, 2015 at 8:38 am

Leprechaun,

Into her 80’s? I’d forgotten Daphne was that young but if you think I’m hanging around here for another 40 years (!) think again!

Thank you for your encouraging comment, Leprechaun. I will take it to the next meeting of the Board of Directors 😀

June 10, 2015 at 4:11 pm
  • Nicky

I think the charge is “embezzlement” – there isn’t a definite date given, just that he is due in court later this month.

Definitely, we should pray for him, his family and parishioners. It must be a terrible blow to a lot of people.

June 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm
  • crofterlady

I’d be very sad if the blog closed as it is the only source I know of that exposes church abuses etc., in Scotland. I understand that, by now, most people who read the blog should be up in arms against the way Our Lord’s vineyard is not being tended. However, there are others who don’t yet know and how would they find out? It must be very hard work and at times demoralising to see the way the people sleep walk into heresy even though they have been warned but, please don’t close wur blog :((((

June 9, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Crofterlady,

You are very kind and encouraging – same to those good souls on the General Discussion thread who have commented on this. I laughed out loud at “wur blog”! You’ll make a great Glaswegian some day 😀

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said anything at this stage – Helen caught me in a weak moment when she asked me whether I get tired of the trolls – so forget about it. Think of it like this: it’s unlikely that we’ll be in need of a blog by the time we reach July 2016 – more like a couple of months in a sanatorium, to recover from the crisis we’ve just been through for the past 50 odd years but by that time will be well under control and just about resolved under the longed for leadership of Pope Pius XIII …

Well, a gal can dream, surely?

June 9, 2015 at 11:49 pm
    • westminsterfly

Yes, ditto, I would be sorry if the blog closed as well, although I know it must take a lot of hard work. It’s not just that it would be a loss of a valuable teaching resource – even if it helped just ONE soul towards the truth and eternal salvation then it would be worth keeping it going for that reason, as even one soul is infinitely precious in the sight of God – I think it’s also important to have a meeting place for like-minded traditional Catholics to let off steam and generally support each other. A lot of trad Catholics often feel isolated and the good blogs are closing down one by one, while the bad ones seem to proliferate.

June 10, 2015 at 9:35 am
  • crofterlady

=:grin=:

June 9, 2015 at 11:55 pm
  • crofterlady

Didna work!

June 9, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Crofterlady,

That’s because you used the = sign. That’s not part of the plan, dopey. I was showing Sixupman that the word colon = : just in case he used a semi colon (=; )! as someone once did.

So, try this

colongrincolon which turns out like this 😀

June 10, 2015 at 12:07 am
  • Jobstears

😀

June 9, 2015 at 11:59 pm

100% – well done Jobstears!

June 10, 2015 at 12:08 am
  • Jobstears

CL,

Try colon grin colon

June 10, 2015 at 12:00 am

Jobstears,

If you knew CL like I know CL, you’d know that she will now type

Trycolongrincolon

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

You have to laugh! 😀

June 10, 2015 at 12:09 am
  • christiana

As a very recent contributor to the blog, I agree that it probably reaches many people who do not actually post anything but gain from it. I read it for ages before I decided to join in. It would be a shame to see it close but as you say anything could happen between now and then!

June 10, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Christiana,

Thank you for your kind comments. I’ve just heard today about another reader who doesn’t comment but has now “seen the light” with regard to the Mass/Traditional Catholicism, so be assured, I will take your comments to the next meeting of the Board of Directors. And I have to admit, I’d miss your avatar – big time! 😀

June 10, 2015 at 4:16 pm
  • crofterlady

Editor, who are you calling dopey? Me? I’ll dock my 50p standing order if you don’t retract your calumny asap!

😀

June 10, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Crofterlady,

Oh don’t! We can’t survive without that SO – especially since you are constantly promising to put a £2,000 in front of the 50p!

PS I should have included you in the list of blackmailers which I posted another thread (GD I think) – along with Christina and Jobstears. Scoundrels, one and all 😯

June 10, 2015 at 4:42 pm
  • crofterlady

😯

June 10, 2015 at 8:45 pm
  • Paulus

Sadly when reading previous comments about the seminaries I was reminded of my own time in Scotus in the 90’s. In the entire time I was there the “community” never once prayed the rosary or met as a group for any traditional devotions. The Devil truly did walk the corridors of that evil place. I also remember a fellow student being condemned by one of the priests on the staff because he chose a guardian angels hymn…to be told “we don’t believe in that stuff anymore”

July 5, 2015 at 2:21 am

Paulus,

Some years ago, I had contact with seminarians at Scotus, very concerned at the lack of Catholicity there, to put it mildly. I attended one of their Open Days, saw the ugly cruciform, a blasphemy – no other name for it – and sat in court when one of their (by then) former students was sentenced for child abuse. Truly, a “thriving” Catholic community in Scotland, wouldn’t you way?

As for that priest’s comment about angels – what monumental ignorance. Angels are an article of Faith.

Here’s an extract from Part One of the CCC:

The existence of angels – a truth of faith

328 The existence of the spiritual, non-corporeal beings that Sacred Scripture usually calls “angels” is a truth of faith. The witness of Scripture is as clear as the unanimity of Tradition. END.

No wonder we have no seminaries left, a dwindling number of priests, even more dwindling congregations and the bishops announcing, shamelessly, that we are now mission territory. Not so long ago we, at Catholic Truth, were being insulted and lambasted for saying the very same thing. Laugh? I thought I’d never start.

Thing is, they’re cheekily trying to put a gloss on this scandal, as if it’s actually a good thing and not an indictment of their apostate running of the Church for decades. Seldom have I looked forward to writing an editorial as I’m looking forward to writing the next one. We’ll be giving a few timely reminders about how we got to be mission territory in the 21st century after over 50 years of “renewal”.

Gimme strength 😯

July 5, 2015 at 4:15 pm
  • crofterlady

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between Scotus and the Scots’ College in Rome? Also, where is Scotus?

I heard that there is a Polish seminarian studying (presumably there?) for a Scottish diocese. The mind boggles as to how he’ll turn out!

July 5, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Crofterlady,

Scotus was the name of the seminary in Glasgow before they closed it down a few years ago. Terrible place. Miss McMoneypenny and I went along to one of their Open Days and could not find a single priest or student/seminarian who understood the Church’s teaching on the Mass as Sacrifice of Calvary. When we asked them what they understood by the Mass as “sacrifice” we got a variety of replies, including one priest who looked quizzically at us and asked “sacrifice of service?”

Too bad if he was being smart. We checked that he knew and meant what he was saying at the time, and he appeared so to do. I – therefore – without a qualm of conscience – quote it at every opportunity. The last laugh, so to speak, is on him.

The Scots College is Rome is now the only seminary training priests for Scotland and I doubt very much if you’d want your sons and grandsons (when they start arriving!) signing up there. Just a feeling… 😀

July 5, 2015 at 7:21 pm
  • shedrack

This is a shocking story when I read it , the congregation would not believe this was going to happen to their parish . Fr bell shouldn’t have done this

July 11, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Shedrack,

Did the congregation not see signs that he was not the best of priests, through his teaching in homilies, reverence at Mass, or lack of it? I can’t believe there weren’t some clues about him.

July 11, 2015 at 6:50 pm