General Discussion (8)

General Discussion (8)

If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to  GeneralDiscussion3peoplemake about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.

Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here
(4) click here (5) click here (6) click here (7) click here

• morgana

I meant to add in the situation where you may have been told lies to or duped into marriage the man or the woman would clearly be unaware and therefore enter the marriage truly believing that the sacrament had been conferred.Absolutely different situation if you were forced into the marriage but I would still hold to what I was taught

September 10, 2015 at 11:45 am
  • Christina

Everyone used to understand what was meant by the the ‘defect of intent’ being discussed here. I do think that pre-sixties and pre-That Council, defect of intent was relatively rare because priests taught the full Catholic truth concerning marriage, and society broadly accepted that couples believed that their marriage vows were a lifelong commitment. In the present climate, where marriage is devalued and degraded throughout society, and now more and more by the sayings of the Pope and hierarchy throughout the Church, defect of intent must be much more prevalent. As somebody said above, I think, the Catholic response should be thorough pre-marriage preparation – not a rush to encourage annulments, which is what will happen now.

September 10, 2015 at 2:36 pm
    • Fidelis

Christina,

Before Vatican II if someone got a dispensation to marry someone who was a Protestant or an unbeliever (agnostic or atheist, I presume that means) and then it was uncovered that that person didn’t take the vows seriously and didn’t keep them, would that be “defect of intent” and would it entitle the Catholic who married in good faith, to have an annulment?

In the pamphlets on annulment which I’ve read (quite a long time ago, I admit) it gave a list of things that maybe would be grounds for annulment and one of them was if one of the partners believed in divorce.

September 10, 2015 at 4:22 pm
      • Christina

Fidelis, there are two bits mixed up there I think, though it might be me mixed up😕. Permission cannot be given for a Catholic to marry an unbaptised person, which I presume an agnostic or atheist to be. Such a marriage would be invalid. Baptised persons who can otherwise validly marry, do not do so if they lack the intention to enter into a lifelong exclusive union, open to reproduction. So yes, if one or both parties did not take the vows seriously, the marriage would be invalid. If one partner believed in divorce then clearly he/she would not intend to enter into a lifelong union.

September 10, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Is anyone aware of the details regarding what seems to be a reorganisation of the SSPX structure in the UK? I know Fr Brucciani has taken over as Superior, as was planned, but there seems to be additional changes afoot:

(I am sure the priests would announce any changes in due course, but I am a nosey blighter and keen to find out!).

From the website, it looks as though the preston priory is now defunct, and so Fr Vandendaele is moved to the Carluke priory, joining Frs McLaughlin and Wingerden.

I wonder then how the Liverpool and Preston Churches will be served? Maybe one of the Carluke priests will travel south weekly to provide the masses there? That would leave two priests to fulfill Carluke’s existing duties (as is normal) and mean each priest only had to travel every third week.

It would be good if Scotland had ‘bagged’ Fr Vandendaele! I once attended a mass of his in Liverpool, this time last year.

Poor Fr Pazat seems now to be holding the fort in Bristol alone, perhaps helped from London or St Michaels? (these locations have 3 priests each). Either way, it would be good if the district could see its roster grow, especially in light of recent events.

September 10, 2015 at 10:09 pm
    • Petrus

Gabriel This was announced a few weeks ago.  Fr Van is now in Carluke and one priest will travel south every weekend.

Sent from my Samsung device

September 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Thanks Petrus – one Sunday recently I was not at St Andrews so I guess it was that week when announced!

I thought I had a “scoop” there, when I saw the change on the website haha 😛

September 10, 2015 at 10:20 pm

N O T I C E . . .

This thread is overdue for closure – it’s passed the 500 limit. Sorry for my tardiness but I’ve been truly swamped these past few days, weeks… come to think of it, this has been a very busy century!

Thanks to everyone who used this thread to alert us to news and/or update us. General Discussion (9) is now open so if you want to be first to comment, click here.

September 11, 2015 at 12:26 am