What is YOUR “Personality Type”?

What is YOUR “Personality Type”?

The other day, a family member was telling me about a “personality test” that enables us to work out to which “type” of personality (out of four possible categories) we belong.  The test is here   smilingeyes2

However, when I completed the test earlier today I came out as “nervous melancholic” and when I looked at the results, absolutely everything on the list (unless there’s something flattering there, that I’ve missed!) is the very OPPOSITE of what I’m like!  Click here to read the results of my test and I defy those of you who know me personally to say it’s accurate…   😯

There’s not a lot of news to discuss right now, and we are due a breather anyway – a bit of fun, perhaps – so do the test and tell us if yours is accurate.

Feel free to say whether, in your view, these tests and quizzes help to identify some possible reasons for our human strengths, weaknesses and failings – is there, in other words, any point in completing one of these personality tests?  And should Catholics use them – or is the Fall of Adam & Eve enough to explain our “personalities”?

• Spiritus

Doesn’t work!!

June 18, 2015 at 1:20 pm
  • Eliott

I was abit surprised to see about personality tests on this website, which I read from time to time. I know peronality tests may be seen as a bit of fun and harmless amusement. Normally I wouldn never partake in a comment but as no one has replied to warn about personality tests, I would like to inform ye all that some personality tests may be influenced by the New Age Movement. I am not an expert, however, my common sense would tell me that just like horoscopes sometimes we indirectly believe these messages and likewise the outcomes from personality tests, and we stereotype people into categories as if people are ‘pre-destined’ to certain personalities. Check out the link below from the Women of Grace website which has more information on personality tests and warns about them. I just want to share this information with ye in case ye may not be aware of the hidden dangers of personality tests.

July 1, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Elliott,

Thank you for that reminder that such personality tests can be dangerous. I know that is true… we were using the topic to have a bit of light-hearted fun, not taking it seriously at all – and I did put in a reminder that we have our fallen human natures to explain our “personality types”.

Still, your comment and link (containing a very interesting section on the Enneagram) is very welcome, just to make sure no reader is led astray by this thread. As the author of your link article wrote, although I paraphrase, living our Faith, spiritual reading, prayer etc. will teach us all the self-knowledge we need to live in a way that is pleasing to God.

So, thank you again.

God bless.

July 2, 2015 at 12:11 am

Eliott,

I understand where you’re coming from re personality tests. Although “personality test” has been used on this occasion, the test in fact is a discernment of temperament. Some of the Catholic spiritual writers speak of the importance of spiritual directors understanding the temperaments of individuals and go on to list various pros and cons, much as this test does, to discover the temperaments of their charges. It helps greatly in the direction of souls if the director understands first the temperament he’s dealing with.

There are other tests on the internet that are more psycho analytic. Many of these are influenced by New Age spirituality, but not temperament tests.

July 2, 2015 at 12:45 am
  • Eliott

There is a book called ‘Learn to Discern Compendium. Is it Christian or New Age?’ by Susan Brinkmann which seems like an interesting resource. It may provide readers with an insight on discernment of the origins of some of these Personality and Temperament Tests.

July 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Elliott,

I was just about to bow to Athanasius’s superior knowledge because I’m not knowledgeable in this sphere at all. Now you’re implying that even the “temperament/personality” tests are dangerous.

I think the key is not to take them at all seriously – the one on this thread is not remotely to be taken seriously. I am the exact opposite of everything on the list which allegedly describes my personality. And it didn’t even MENTION “slim, glamorous, witty, intelligent” etc which anyone here will tell you is ME (with or without a personality!)

July 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm
  • Eliott

I gave my opinion and used the knowledge I had about Personality/Temperament Tests. Your article did ask for opinions about Personality/Temperament Tests which states ‘And should Catholics use them – or is the Fall of Adam & Eve enough to explain our “personalities”?’

July 2, 2015 at 3:59 pm