Revolting Parishioners Abandon Parish …

Revolting Parishioners Abandon Parish …

Parishioners at a church in Portsmouth Diocese say they have been driven out by an order of traditionalist Franciscans who have been put in charge.   Bishop Philip Egan Portsmouth

The Bishop of Portsmouth Philip Egan handed over St Mary’s, Gosport, to the Franciscans of the Immaculate in June. Since then, parishioners say people are required to kneel to receive communion and women asked to cover their heads at Mass.

The order attracted controversy in 2013 when Pope Francis dissolved its General Council and forbade the friars to celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form [sic] without permission. However the friars celebrate Mass in the old rite six days a week at St Mary’s.

Dr Amanda Field, a convert to Catholicism, says she has stopped attending the church after six years. “We used to have something really special here. The church was packed; people had to stand in the porch. But since the friars came we’ve been plunged back into the days before Vatican II,” said Dr Field.

Jean Watson, who has been serving the parish as a catechist and music-leader for 30 years, also described a “reversion” since the friars’ arrival. “I was a child in the parish before Vatican II and it wasn’t even like this then,” said Mrs Watson.

Bishop Egan announced this week that another traditionalist order, the Sisters of Maria Stella Matutina from Spain will reside at St Joseph’s church in Grayshott and assist with evangelisation.

The friars and the diocese declined to comment.     Source

While Cardinal Nichols is planning to spread “gay Masses” across the Church in England and Wales,  and in other ways making known his tolerance/acceptance of same-sex unions with barely a peep of opposition from any pews, let alone pew rage,  parishioners elsewhere in England are up in arms and walking out in high dudgeon because they have been asked to kneel to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion.

Think of that!  What are they actually saying? Kneel before the God who made me? You kidding? Wear something on my head out of respect for the Blessed Sacrament? What, you serious?  Still, they’re sure to be the kind of Catholics who will obey the Pope on changing their lifestyle to save the eco-system, so what’s the problem?

I’ve said it before and no doubt I’ll say it again – gimme strength.

What kind of Catholics think they had “something” so “special” in their parish, that kneeling in adoration before Our Lord could possibly destroy it?

Listen: whatever was going on in that church before the friars came, it was not Catholicism. End of. Disagree if you think you can defend this scandal. But, I warn you. It won’t be pretty…

Hi folks,

I have received a short “thank you” from Bishop Egan, via his secretary. It reads:

Dear Patricia,

Bishop Egan thanks you for this message of support.

With best wishes

Signed…

If you recall, I emailed him (copied above) and sent the link to this thread. It’s good that he appreciates our support. I wonder if I applied to be a Pastoral Assistant with Special Responsibility for the Revolting Parishioners in St Mary’s Gosport, would I stand a chance of being appointed?

Rhetorical question 😀

August 3, 2015 at 10:10 pm
    • Constantine

A man of few words… unlike a wordsmith like you.

August 4, 2015 at 12:51 am

Not quite as few words as his modernist brothers in the episcopate. They don’t reply at all.

“Of courtesy it is much less
        than courage of heart or holiness,
        yet in my walks it seems to me,
        that the grace of God lies in courtesy.”

(Hilaire Belloc)

August 4, 2015 at 1:04 am
      • Constantine

The problem is, they are in awe of you. I am, on the other hand, equally in ewe of you typing speed.

August 4, 2015 at 1:22 am

Not sure if “ewe” is a typo or a Freudian slip!

August 4, 2015 at 9:10 am
      • spudeater

Ed.,

I think Constantine may be having a slight dig but as for his implication that you’re a bit sheepish, that really is a step too far. Before we know it, he’ll be encouraging you to gambol.

August 4, 2015 at 11:12 am

Spudeater,

“gambol” – love it!

Oddly enough, I’ve recently started buying a lottery ticket when it comes into my mind. I hadn’t bought one for ages, not since I chose all major feast days for my numbers and not one of them came up trumps. I thought, “superstition? who needs it?”!

August 4, 2015 at 12:07 pm
      • spudeater

Ed.,

Call me a killjoy but I remember reading in one of the catholic newspapers that the Lottery body which oversees the distribution of that percentage of the proceeds set aside for ‘good causes’ had awarded a certain amount to a ‘charity’ that promoted abortion ‘services’. I think it was some sort of youth organisation but I can’t recall any other details unfortunately as it was about 10 years ago. I haven’t bought a lottery ticket since. Just to add weight to my argument (though that may be unnecessary), can I also point out that statistically, your chances of winning the lottery are only slightly reduced if you haven’t bought a ticket.

August 4, 2015 at 8:46 pm
      • Christina

Spudeater – gambol on what?

August 4, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Christina

gambol = an act of running or jumping about playfully.

note jokey reference to sheep starting with “ewe”…(hence gambol…) which I then applied to “gamble” as in gambling on the lottery… Wakey…. WAKEY!

They say “never explain a joke” – I can see why!

August 4, 2015 at 1:01 pm
      • Christina

Yes, I got it! I was playing with homophones as well. My post just got sent before I’d seen yours. Just because I’m slow, do you think I’m daft as well? And DON’T answer that …

August 4, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Already forgotten.

August 3, 2015 at 10:10 pm
  • John Kearney

In Basingstoke when I attended another parish I used to pass an Evangelical Church at the time the people were arriving for the service there. They were all coloured people but the men wore suits and ties and the women wore very pretty dresses and hats. They were dressed for something special and that is what the Catholic church used to be – something special. The way we dress does in a way sum up our attitude to going to Mass on Sunday. Do we just put on any old thing in order to pass an hour in Church, or do we have special clothes for ourselves and our children so that Jesus in seeing us will know we love Him. AS the song used to say ‘Little things mean a Lot” in fact they can shape our whole attitiude or even real our attitude to God.

August 4, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Its bad enough that the Tablet has attacked Bishop Egan over this, but it appears it does so on a pretext of lies.

According to Fr Michael Brown:

1. The Mass count in Gosport had fallen by fifty percent in the last twenty years. It has risen significantly in the last two months

(so it seems that the FFI presence is having a very positive effect on the parish health)

2. It is not true that parishioners have been required to kneel or receive on the tongue, nor have women been told to cover their heads;

(presumably this means people are free to choose to attend either the true mass, or the novus ordo – the form of worship is not imposed, like the novus ordo was first imposed)

3. Mass is celebrated each weekday in the EF very early in the morning and the daily OF Mass takes place exactly as before;

(so, no actual change for those people who prefer protestant worship)

4. The Sunday Masses in the OF remain.

(again, no actual change for those who prefer protestant worship)

5. The diocesan post bag is currently running ten to one in favour of the, to quote one of them, “beautiful, more reverent Masses”.

(so it seems that the traditional masses are proving popular and desirable among most parishioners and ergo it is Catholic tradition which is reviving the parish)

6. The Stella Matutina Sisters whom the article mentions are not “traditionalist” but very much novus ordo

(seems the Tablet over-stepped the mark here, and made a boob while trying to dress up a ‘wrap sheet’. And Fr Ray Blake says these Sisters are actually assigned to Grayshott, not Gosport – and not particular nearby either)

So, it appears the persons in the parish who complain do not do so because their own sensibilites or choices are affected, but because they cannot stand to “let Catholics be Catholics”. They are against choice and want to impose their view on all.

This is typical of persons of a certain age in novus ordo parishes; especially (in my experience) certain women who feel that they are entitled to be running all aspects/ministries of the parish, and be the principal decision makers, as compensation for the fact they cannot be priests.

Likely they resent the “showing up” the Catholic faith is giving the parish as it was in the preceeding years, when they had the run of the place.

August 5, 2015 at 1:54 pm
    • sixupman

“They cannot stand to let Catholics be Catholics” ………. They are against choice … .”.

Is Madam Editor for or against choice?

August 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I only mentioned “choice” in this specific instance, because the parishioners are being given a choice; I dont think anyone here would suggest anything other than the true mass being re-introduced universally was desirable.

I thought it eye-opening that – in this specific situation – fans of the “anything goes” novus ordo, are against allowing others to follow their own consciences.

August 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm
  • John Kearney

On Standing for Communion and receiving in the hand in the Portsmouth Diocese we had a ‘theology’ built around that. The New Teaching (not found in the Catechism or any Catholic document) abut invented by the ‘prophets’ is that we all go to Communion as a Body. Holy Communion is not for individual piety and nothing happens when we receive the host but as a Body, the Body of Christ, we are all united. So what does it matter how we receive the host when it does not really matter. I can assure anyone who is shocked and thinks I am making it up, that this is taught from the pulpit. The trouble is that the prophets have done so much to divide the Community in matters of Faith that ‘unity’ is laughable. There is a communist/socialist ring to the way the word community is thrown around. I have come to the conclusion that it is a way of not joining us to Christ but rather taking us from Him to focus on ourselves. I certainly kneel but since it is on a stone floor many others especially the women cannot do so. I receive only from the priest and I had to go through a thought process on this. It was obvious that many of those giving out the Chalice or the Host did not believe in the Real Presence in the Catholic sense. They were doing ‘a job’ for which the priest could claim browny points for involving so many in ‘parish work’. Many were also divorced and remarried following their ‘conscience’ It is Christ who fed the disciples at the Last Supper, going around the room to the different couches, and it is Christ who feeds me at the altar – not the community. If you think you know all about the evils of modernism then think again, there are more horrors around the corner.

August 5, 2015 at 10:13 pm
  • Pat Langan

Re parishioners, Eucharistic service once a week small clique??? Liturgical abuse! !!!Parish priest away for two weeks, two weeks of Eucharistic services instead of Mass more abuse how can this be happening? Good people! Priest allows! What is to be done? God help us

August 5, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Pat,

That sounds like a parish priest/diocese more than deserving of a mention in our newsletter, so feel free to email me the details and we’ll contact your priest to ask him what the blankety blank he thinks he’s playing at.

What these people who push Eucharistic services forget, is that there is absolutely NO obligation for anyone to attend them, whether on a weekday or Sunday – indeed, I would argue that it is imperative that Catholics do NOT attend these services.

August 6, 2015 at 12:13 am
    • Katia

Pat, are you talking about the parish in Gosport or samewhere else?

Editor: sorry, this thread is now closed. Pat has not responded but I am guessing that he is not speaking about the Gosport parish but about another parish, which is why I suggested that he might want to give me more details for a report in our newsletter. If I’m wrong, he should correct me on the General Discussion thread. You might keep an eye on that, for any response he chooses to make when he pops in again. He’s not a regular here, unfortunately, just happens by from time to time. So, check out the GD thread when you can, to see if he has replied.

August 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I thought it worth re-opening this thread to publish the following two letters from The Tablet, emailed to me by a reader. They really must be filed under “you truly couldn’t make this stuff up…”

Other options for Portsmouth

13 August 2015

It seems rather sad that the Bishop of Portsmouth feels he has to invite various “pre-Vatican II” outsiders to run his parishes, (“Friars take parish back in time”, 1 August).

He has some very dedicated, experienced and much loved priests available who were forced to leave their priestly ministry, many because of the “sin” of wishing to marry. He also has the choice of numerous Deacons, some of whom wish to remain in the role of Deacon but others who would take the next step into ordination.

Then there are married family men who feel they have a vocation to the priesthood – and would bring credibility to the job. Last, but not least, he has a choice from no less than one half of the Catholic population who are illegally discriminated against because they just happen to be born women. It is incomprehensible to many young modern Catholic adults, as well as those not so young, that so much discrimination and inequality still exist in the Church, when in the secular society in which they live and work equality and anti-discrimination laws have been around for a very long time.

To those of you who do not wish to remain under the thumb of authoritarian, traditionalist orders who in this case appear to be dictating how people are to receive Communion, and what they are to wear, can I suggest that you vote with your feet and search for a more welcoming spiritual home elsewhere. Sue Oakley, Chandler’s Ford, Hampshire

I’m sure I’m not alone in being appalled by the report of what is being proposed by the friars who have taken over a parish in my own diocese of Portsmouth. I suppose at a pinch communicants might just be prepared to kneel to receive communion (a practice which, happily, seems to have disappeared in most of our churches).

But the idea of women being recommended “to cover their heads at Mass” is simply preposterous.One can only hope that the good people of St Mary’s Gosport will boycott this strange collection of antediluvian friars. They could either worship in nearby Fareham or take the ferry across to Portsmouth, where they can make their views known to the bishop who sent in the friars! Bernard Tucker, Old Alresford, Hampshire

These two are about as Catholic as Dumb & Dumber… You heard it here first…

August 14, 2015 at 8:59 pm
  • elebeonu shedrack

In my parish you kneel and recieve the body of christ , and while attending mass you have to cover your hairs , that is how it should be and must be mandatory .
    You cannot stand to recieve the body of christ

August 22, 2015 at 6:22 pm
  • elebeonu shedrack

You cannot stand and recieve the body of christ , in my parish we kneel down to recieve the body of christ to show a sign of reverence

August 22, 2015 at 6:25 pm