Pope Francis’ Latest Craziness – World Day of Prayer For Creation…

Pope Francis’ Latest Craziness – World Day of Prayer For Creation…

Vaticanlightningstrike

“Sharing with my beloved brother the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew his concerns for the future of creation (cfr Encylical Letter. Laudato Si, 7-9) and taking up the suggestion by his representative, the Metropolitan Ioannis of Pergamum who took part in the presentation of the Encyclical Laudato Si on the care of our common home, I wish to inform you that I have decided to set up also in the Catholic Church, the “World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation” which, beginning this year, will be celebrated on the 1st of September, as the Orthodox Church has done for some time now.

As Christians we wish to offer our contribution towards overcoming the ecological crisis which humanity is living through.  Therefore, first of all we must draw from our rich spiritual heritage the reasons which feed our passion for the care of creation, always remembering that for believers in Jesus Christ, the Word of God who became man for us, “the life of the spirit is not dissociated from the body or from nature or from worldly realities, but lived in and with them, in communion with all that surrounds us.” (ibid., 216).   The ecological crisis therefore calls us to a profound spiritual conversion: Christians are called to “an ecological conversion whereby the effects of their encounter with Jesus Christ become evident in their relationship with the world around them.” (ibid., 217).  Thus, “living our vocation to be protectors of God’s handiwork is essential to a life of virtue; it is not an optional or a secondary aspect of our Christian experience.”(ibid   Read entire report here

Comment:

Things are just getting crazier and crazier under this pontiff.  It’s difficult to find the words to describe the extent of the scandals caused directly by Pope Francis.  Some blog administrators seem to have given up trying, and I had to ditch one that I thought of using here, because of his description of all the key players as “b*******”.  Believe me, I sympathise with the sentiment, but we gotta keep reminding ourselves that we are Catholics, first and foremost, despite the shocking behaviour and lack of zeal of so many priests and  hierarchy.

Anyway, what about you – will you be taking steps to undergo “a profound spiritual [and] ecological conversion, whereby the effects of [your] encounter with Christ becomes evident in [your] relationship with the world around [you]” – whatever the heck that means.  Or will you simply continue to pray your rosary and wear your Brown Scapular with both eyes on the four last things – death, judgment, Heaven and Hell?

• catholicconvert1

Sorry for my late input, I’ve been busy with other matters, such as stocking up on Prozac after reading this new thread. I did read that Pope Francis has a, er, ‘devotion’ to Pope St. Pius X of Sacred Memory. If this devotion was so strong, then he would be instituting a World Day of Prayer for the conversion of sinners, freemasons, Jews, heathens and infidels, to obtain the triumph of our Holy Catholic Religion and the Social Reign of Christ the King, not some Socialist Environmentalist balderdash. I doubt that Noe in the days of the Flood prayed for the environment, he prayed for God’s forgiveness and mercy. Did the Ninevites pray that God would not destroy their lovely trees and damage the Ozone layer, or did they perform prayer, penance and wear sackcloth and ashes? They did the latter, and we should do the same. Say the Rosary, wear the Scapular, offer up Holy Communions, go to Confession and say the Stations to appease the righteous fury of Almighty God.

Pray, pray and pray…and when you’ve done that, pray again!!

August 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm
    • Pat McKay

CC, I’m glad you mentioned the old handshakers.

Here’s a link to the May 2015 edition of ‘Christian Order’, in which James Shaw, an ex-33rd degree mason, reveals how he had to drink wine from a real human skull as part of his ‘initiation ceremony’…!

Creepy, or what?

August 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm
      • Fidelis

Pat McKay,

That article is creepy, all right, but much more than that, it’s terrifying. The Church in Rome, from the top, is truly rotten to the core. God have mercy on us.

August 30, 2015 at 7:44 pm
      • Pat McKay

I do hope Mr Shaw has found himself a good hideaway. The Roberto Calvi case is a sharp reminder of what can happen to those who grass up the ‘brotherhood’.

August 31, 2015 at 10:44 am
  • Gerontius

Editor, have you seen the video of Fr. Linus Clovis I posted above?

August 30, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Gerontius,

Not only have I seen the video of Fr Clovis which you posted above, I saw it at the time and posted a thread to discuss it. very few contributed to that discussion, to my astonishment. Click here to read that thread.

Fr Clovis is on our mailing list, and has been for many years. I was delighted to be able to email my praise to him for his courageous address to the pro-lifers in Rome, and hope that he does not suffer by being silenced as a result.

August 30, 2015 at 3:17 pm
  • Gerontius

As I posted elsewhere,”evil always tries to gain control under the pretext of promoting a SUPPOSED greater good. Here is a case in point – duly highlighted by the excellent Remnant Newspaper. It’s high time that this odius, proposal by Cardinal Kasper and so frequently presented of late in the secular media, is confronted.

Evil cannot be compromised with – it MUST be resisted!

Two links are given:

and this, sub-linked in the above Remnant article:

Note especially, the power pf prayer to protect the Blessed Sacrament from sacrilege and outrage contained in the second link,

QUIS UT DEUS

August 30, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Gerontius,

Thanks for those links. I’d seen The Remnant one earlier in the week and plan to publish it in our next newsletter because nobody should be in any doubt about the apostate Cardinal Kasper’s true state of mind and his anti-Catholic beliefs and agenda. That nugget (the short Remnant article) demands as wide a readership as possible.

August 30, 2015 at 3:21 pm
  • crofterlady

Do we know the date of the commencement of the Synod 2015?

August 30, 2015 at 7:24 pm
  • crofterlady

I’ve just had a look on the calendar to see what Feast Days occurred between the 4th and 25th October. There are some very big names, for example, St. Dominic, St. Joachim, St. Jean Marie Vianney, St. Louis 9th of France and best of all, the Transfiguration of The Lord and the Feast of The Immaculate Heart of Mary. Also, October is the month of the Most Holy Rosary. So Kasper et al may be in for a shock!

August 31, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Crofterlady,

That is very encouraging but what calendar did you use? Is it the traditional calendar or the modern one – I know stuff has been posted on here supposedly to mark a saint’s feast and then somebody comes on and says it’s not! I find it all very confusing about the calendars.

August 31, 2015 at 2:36 pm
  • crofterlady

Margaret Mary, yes the old and the new everything is confusing. Then, maybe it’s designed to be!

My calendar is a traditional one, published by Angelus Press.

August 31, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Nicky

The same old same old speakers who, with respect, when you’ve heard them once, you’ve heard them.

They aren’t unique in that respect. Speaking only for myself of course, I’ve been saying the same thing for 40 years. No wonder people avoid me… If only they’d listened….

We must remember that not everyone has been given the same insight and grace as wot we have! Too many people who have been in thrall to the NO and all that goes with it, for various reasons, and for those who have been given the grace to “wake up”, Michael Matt et al are doing a wonderful job of educating the many who have been asleep for decades. I thank God for them, and wish them well in their enormous task. I’m convinced that they are doing Our Lady’s work, as is our Editor, who is speaking to a more “educated” and “awake” population.

I can’t help wondering why I, who am so unworthy, have been given the grace to keep the Faith while so many, much more worthy, have either lost theirs, or have become so muddled and confused that they don’t know where they stand any more. Perhaps it’s because God knew that without a firm, clear, 10 FOOT HIGH, electric razor fence I would have strayed too. Perhaps we are the sheep who were too vulnerable to be tempted out of the fold, and have been particularly guarded?

August 31, 2015 at 7:39 pm
    • Nicky

Therese,

“I’ve been saying the same thing for 40 years. No wonder people avoid me… If only they’d listened….”

LOL!

I take your point and I didn’t mean to belittle the work of Michael Matt et al but even Fr Gruner had a woman speaker at his conferences, mostly a Canadian woman who was very good although she never smiled, not that there’s much to smile about, I freely admit.

I think I’ll write to nominate you as speaker, Therese, as with 40 years practise in saying the same thing, you’d be great! LOL!

August 31, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Nicky

I know what you mean about women speakers – don’t tell Ath or Editor, will you, but I’m afraid I’m a little infected with the wimmins’ lib thingy and I bridle a bit when they keep on stressing “we men must do something”. Oh yeah? “When’ll that be then?” I think.

Still, they’re only men, and they’re doing their best…….

August 31, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Therese,

You really are a case for the High Court. But no need to keep your secret from moi (Ath, yes, he’s an old chauvinist) but no need to keep it from moi, as I said before I so rudely interrupted myself, because I find myself more and more thinking like a mad feminist. Thoughts that range from: “would he have said that – what he just said to me – to a man?” to “why do I have to always make the tea/hoover/iron?” blah blah to “when am I going to have a salary to match the editor of The Remnant”? blah blah !

As you say, though, they’re only men, and they’re (possibly) doing their best….

Although I doubt it 😯 !

August 31, 2015 at 11:15 pm
      • Gerontius

Hoi, see youz wummin, yev tongues would clip a hedge – cease and desist, or a’ll tell ma mammy oan ye, or better still, ma granddaughter – her tongue could take paint affa door1

September 1, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Gerontius,

Message received and (almost) understood 😀

September 1, 2015 at 11:08 pm
  • Leo

Apologies for cutting across the conversation here, but Pew Catholic has raised the question as to whether or not a Pope can be deposed (August 27 10.27am).

The following two articles, the second of which is quite lengthy, should be of help in answering that question and also in combatting the errors and dangers of sedevacantism. While the first article shows a difference of opinion between two great theologians on “technicalities”, the bottom line and crucial point to grasp is that private judgement plays no part in the deposition of a Pope. No Catholic, layman, priest or Bishop, holds the authority to render judgement that a Pope has lost his office. End. Of. Story.

In the words of the conclusion of the CFNews article:

“the judgment of heresy is not left to individual Catholics in the pew, but to the Church, which is why John of St. Thomas said: ‘be he [the Pope] ever so manifestly heretical according to private judgment, he remains as far as we are concerned a member of the Church and consequently its head. Judgment is required by the Church. It is only then that he ceases to be Pope as far as we are concerned.’”

August 31, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Leo,

Very helpful quotes and links. Many thanks. And I think I can safely promise you that Pew Catholic will call in to offer her thanks as well, in between running her campaign for women’s ordination. She’s some gal…

You probably thought she was asking about deposing a pope because of the shenanigans engaged in by one Papa Francis, but my guess is that Pew Catholic wants to take his place. 😀

(PS: we love her really…)

August 31, 2015 at 11:59 pm
  • Leo

Following on from the Remnant link that Gerontius has posted (August 30, 2.06pm), even if either of the following have been put up already, given the extreme gravity of the situation, a bit of reinforcement surely wouldn’t go astray.

Kasper is most certainly a modernist’s modernist. The heresy rap sheet doesn’t allow room for discussion. How in Heaven’s name was he ever appointed a Cardinal in 2001? I doubt the machinations behind that appointment will ever become public knowledge, but the conclusion that the Church has been under modernist occupation for decades is rather obvious.

Taken from the second link:

“Kasper also defended the vote of the Irish in favor of homosexual ‘marriages,’ saying: ‘A democratic state has the duty to respect the will of the people; and it seems clear that, if the majority of the people wants such homosexual unions, the state has a duty to recognize such rights.’ He also said that the Irish referendum is ‘emblematic for the situation in which we find ourselves, not only in Europe, but in the whole West.’ Kasper also said: ‘The postmodern concept – following which everything is equal – stands in contrast to the doctrine of the Church.’”

So Kasper now wants some sort of reconciliation with the “postmodern concept” involving a diabolical compromise of divine and natural law. It’s not hard to see the comparison with Vatican II’s “attempt at an official reconciliation with the new era inaugurated in 1789”, to use the words of Cardinal Ratzinger included in a post on the thread about Pope Pius IX, of happy memory.

“‘We have to find a new language,’ he (Kasper) said. ‘We have to overcome [unjust] discrimination, which has a long tradition in our culture.’ It is important in his view to honor those long-lasting same-sex relationships, which contain ‘elements of the good,’ even though the Church cannot change its fundamental attitude toward them since they are themselves against the teaching of the Gospels.”

Evelyn Waugh, who wasn’t exactly given to passing up the opportunity of an acerbic remark, once said, I believe, that “in happier times, Hans Kung would have gone to the stake”, barring repentance and repudiation, of course. I think it is a pretty safe bet that many faithful Catholics today feel more than a little inclined to express similar ideas about one of the most dangerous German modernists at large today, a book of whose, Pope Francis considered worthy of a plug at his very first Sunday Angelus audience.

August 31, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Leo,

I’ve quoted part of the above in the next newsletter*, because so many of our readers are not online and won’t / don’t know how bad things are. The very idea that a cardinal of the Church could suggest that the will of the people trumps God’s will, as expressed in His natural moral law is just beyond belief. To actually praise the Irish government for “respecting” the will of the people by allowing them to vote for same-sex marriage is just the stuff of utter degenerate madness.

Cardinal Kasper is desperately in need of prayer. He is headed in entirely the wrong direction. I know we can never judge the disposition of a soul, but things are not looking good for him at all, humanly speaking. Let’s hope he doesn’t choke on his spaghetti during the Synod. That is, to repeat, let’s hope he does NOT choke on his spaghetti… 😀

* Now that I’ve seen the dates for the Synod posted on the blog – and assuming they are correct, 4th-25th October (seems a long time) – we are considering holding off finishing the newsletter and making it the November (not October) edition, in order to provide commentary on the outcome of the Synod. Anyone with serious objections, speak now or forever hold your peace 😀

August 31, 2015 at 11:53 pm

As part of his year of Mercy, Pope Francis has confirmed that SSPX priests can validly absolve sins – which should put an end to the mean spirited talk we hear from various other quarters:

“A final consideration concerns those faithful who for various reasons choose to attend churches officiated by priests of the Fraternity of St Pius X. This Jubilee Year of Mercy excludes no one. From various quarters, several Brother Bishops have told me of their good faith and sacramental practice, combined however with an uneasy situation from the pastoral standpoint. I trust that in the near future solutions may be found to recover full communion with the priests and superiors of the Fraternity. In the meantime, motivated by the need to respond to the good of these faithful, through my own disposition, I establish that those who during the Holy Year of Mercy approach these priests of the Fraternity of St Pius X to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation shall validly and licitly receive the absolution of their sins.”

This is another step towards normalisation of the SSPX situaiton (Francis alludes that this is imminent.)

Although the text is written as though this only applies during the year of mercy, it is unthinkable that this official stance would not now become the norm.

September 1, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Gabriel Syme,

Your conclusion is spot on – Papa Francis can hardly say “you’re validly absolving for a year, after that, nope!” C’mon!

September 1, 2015 at 10:12 pm
  • Leo

The Archbishop of Dublin isn’t going to miss out on this Care of Creation caper. No fear.

I wonder will the Archbishop make any mention of the following words of Holy Scripture concerning Creation:

“And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them. And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth.” – Genesis, i : 27-28.

Just asking.

“Archbishop Diarmuid Martin will be joined by the leaders of other Christian Churches in Dublin next week to mark World Day of Prayer for all Creation.”

“On Tuesday 1 September, the ceremony in Dublin will include readings and reflections on Laudato Si, music from Vivaldi’s Four seasons, with Ellen Cranitch and Denise Kelly, Psalms of Praise for Creation and Thanksgiving as the Harvest approaches.”

No surprise there then. The Archbishop loves his false ecumenism. A pity he won’t be getting everyone to pray for divine assistance in the battle against the satanic scourge of abortion or the defeat of the sodomites’ agenda.

I wonder will His Grace implore the intercession of the Immaculata, She who has crushed all the heresies in the world.

Remember, in a 2012 address to the Catholic Primary Schools Management Association Conference, the Archbishop spoke positively about the rejection of the Social Kingship in what has now become the Republic of Sodom:

“The change in Irish society and the change in the life of the Church in Ireland are linked together. There is a growing secularisation in Irish society. This is not entirely a bad thing, if we understand the complex phenomenon called secularisation correctly. Very few of us would wish to return completely to the type of society many of us grew up in, where the Church dominated so much of Irish culture, and where the bishops and the clergy dominated the Church. Irish society and the Church in Ireland have changed and it must be said that the change has in great part been good.”

Just how grave and scandalous do things have to get for people to wake up to what these bishops are doing, and not doing.

“With God and Jesus Christ excluded from political life, with authority derived not from God but from man, the very basis of that authority has been taken away, because the chief reason of the distinction between ruler and subject has been eliminated. The result is that human society is tottering to its fall.” – Pope Pius XI, Quas Primas 1925

“When the foundations of religion are overthrown, the restraints of civil society are also necessarily shattered. Behold the sad spectacle of our time! Beholding the impending danger of the future! However it is no danger to the Church, for the divine promise leaves no room for doubt. Rather this revolution threatens the family and nations, especially those who stir up or indifferently tolerate this unhealthy atmosphere of irreligion.” – Pope Saint Pius X, Editae Saepe, 1910

September 1, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Leo,

“No surprise there then. The Archbishop loves his false ecumenism.”

Absolutely. That really describes the majority of the hierarchy, including at the very top. They play down the Faith, and talk up ecumenism. That’s where there hearts lie – in the ecumenical movement. Diabolical.

September 1, 2015 at 9:56 pm
  • morgana

The pope stating that sspx confessions are absolved is not anything new to those who attend and believe they are absolved however I suppose it may help those who are reluctant to return to tradition.

September 1, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Morgana,

That’s it in a nutshell. The Pope knows perfectly well that the SSPX priests already validly absolve – just as he knows that the TLM was never abrogated. It was by failing to tell the truth on these matters that the enquiring faithful were kept away from the Society. So, there is really no change, except that the Pope is now admitting that the Society priests do, indeed, validly absolve penitents. It’s quite a clever trick, though, to use the Year of Mercy to “permit” something that is already legitimate while giving the impression of making a generous (merciful) concession. You can’t take that away from him, he’s clever – sort of a – if you see what I mean!

September 1, 2015 at 9:52 pm
      • Muffin Man Returns

Yes, it is a clever trick. The neo-conservative fanatics will surely twist this to argue more assiduously that SSPX confessions are invalid, as Fr Z has already done.

September 1, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Yes i agree Morgana – the positive of this is will stop people trying to undermine the Society and perhaps lead to more interested parties coming to the Society.

Incidentally, the SSPX have now responded to Francis statement:

The Society of St. Pius X learned, through the press, of the provisions taken by Pope Francis on the occasion of the upcoming Holy Year. In the last paragraph of his letter addressed September 1, 2015, to Archbishop Rino Fisichella, president of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization, the Holy Father writes:

“I establish that those who during the Holy Year of Mercy approach these priests of the Society of St Pius X to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation shall validly and licitly receive the absolution of their sins.”

The Society of St. Pius X expresses its gratitude to the Sovereign Pontiff for this fatherly gesture. In the ministry of the sacrament of penance, we have always relied, with all certainty, on the extraordinary jurisdiction conferred by the Normae generales of the Code of Canon Law. On the occasion of this Holy Year, Pope Francis wants all the faithful who wish to confess to the priests of the Society of St. Pius X to be able to do so without being worried.

During this year of conversion, the priests of the Society of St. Pius X will have at heart to exercise with renewed generosity their ministry in the confessional, following the example of tireless dedication which the holy Cure of Ars gave to all priests.

Menzingen,
      September 1, 2015

This may well be the start of the “important events” Bishop Fellay said we were on the eve of, back in July.

September 1, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Gabriel Syme,

Thanks for that – brilliant news. Bishop Fellay’s grace-filled response is just perfect.

Yes, it makes me wonder, too, about the “important events” of which Bishop Fellay has spoken – maybe there are more surprises in the pipeline, possibly as a result of Bishop Schneider’s successful visit to the SSPX seminary recently.

Monsignor Loftus eat your dissenting heart out!

September 1, 2015 at 10:10 pm
      • catholicconvert1

Just one question: why is Bishop Fellay thanking the Pope for this ‘fatherly gesture’? If, according to Supplied Jurisdiction due to the extreme crisis in the Church, the SSPX Confessions are already valid and licit, why is Bishop Fellay expressing gratitude? The same applies to the ‘excommunications’ ‘lifted’ in 2009. Instead of ‘thanking’ the Pope, he should have politely pointed out, charitably, that the Vatican was wrong and has finally recognised that they were wrong all along.

September 4, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Catholic Convert,

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Respectfully. In all humility… 😀

You may not have noticed, but I certainly have noticed over the years, that the overwhelming majority of people are just unable to admit being wrong, about anything.

It has always been my own policy to halt the very occasional apology offered to me in mid-sentence, waiving it aside, because I know that it causes immense pain to most people to say “sorry, I was wrong” or even “sorry, I shouldn’t have reacted in that way, although I have to say that I believe I am right on this or that matter.” Most just don’t have the social skills, let alone the spiritual depth, to admit being wrong. I have no problem admitting I’m wrong, when I am (occasionally!) wrong, but not, I’m sorry to say, for any reasons of virtue; I just hate the thought of everyone else knowing that I’m wrong and not realising that I have come to realise I had been wrong – in other words, I hate the thought of others continuing to think I’m wrong when I’m now right – if you get my drift 😀

The Little Flower(St Therese of Lisieux) used to say that having to refuse someone some implement or whatever they have asked to borrow, can be done so beautifully that it is actually received with more happiness than if the wish had been granted. Ditto with Bishop Fellay’s sensitive response to the Pope. He doesn’t gloat and say “ha ha you are now basically admitting you were wrong all along” but acknowledging that, as any true father, the Pope wishes to go along with his children as best he can, and do whatever he can to make them happy. It’s not Christian to harbour grudges or to gloat in that way. The key thing is that any thinking person knows that nobody can be “non schismatic” or give “valid” absolutions for one year only and then return to “the way we were” as the song goes.

I think Bishop Fellay’s response was quintessentially charitable. He knows that the SSPX confessions were always valid and licit and he knows that the Pope knows that perfectly well, too. He’s just not rubbing it in. That’s all. And the Pope knows it. AND it makes it easier for the Pope to make further (imaginary, PR led) “concessions.”

Think, think, think, CC – and when you’ve done that…. think again!

September 4, 2015 at 1:12 pm
  • Christina

Nicky, can you, from your own or other credible experience, give examples of SSPX or ICKSP Masses, celebrated in their own churches, where these papers and advertisements are given or left out in the porch? While I realise that others may have had bad experiences, I have never seen this happening. Moreover, in a fairly wide experience over many years I found that diocesan priests minded to celebrate the Mass of ages tended to ‘lose’ modernist stuff dangerous to the faith, including ‘catholic’ papers. One priest, whose Masses I attended, would refuse to read pastoral letters, and, like others I know of, sent the Cafod collection elsewhere. Michael Matt makes the point very well that there is no fault to be found in prudent silence, refraining from polemics, using as examples the early Christians and St. Edmund Champion. I am delighted that he has called for unity of purpose like this. Anything else is senseless and counterproductive.

September 1, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Christina,

I’ve never been in any church that is run by the Institute of Christ the King and only once in the FSSP church in Edinburgh where I didn’t notice if there were any papers on sale (probably not) and the SSPX definitely don’t sell the “Catholic” papers, but only this evening I attended a Mass offered by a parish priest (one of Scotland’s best!) offering the Mass under the terms of Summorum Pontificum and he has the papers out on sale and a CTS stand as well. The CTS pamphlets have been very poor for years now – last time I checked out their coverage of Baptism it made no mention of Original Sin, for example, so I would never use them for any purpose whatsoever. I know of one mother who would be concerned in case her young son – very keen to learn about the Faith as he is growing into a very sound young Catholic – would want to buy those pamphlets and have his Faith undermined. To have to keep vigilant watch for such things is too much hassle when there is an SSPX chapel within reach.

As I’ve said before, as far as adults go, I would go along with what Michael Matt says but for young parents, like the above mother, keen to ensure purity of ethos for their young children, especially those approaching teens – and to avoid confusion, it’s best to attend the Society chapels. NOT, I emphasise, because they’re perfect. Believe me, they are very VERY far from being perfect. Neither the clergy nor the congregations are even close. Far from it. I could write the book. But just taking the objective case, my own view is that you or I, Christina, and any other informed Catholic, could attend a SP parish and come out spiritually safe, because we can discern. I knew better than to buy or recommend those CTS pamphlets tonight – indeed, I warned another Mass-goer of their dissenting contents. But those who have never been taught the faith properly, may become confused, receive mixed messages etc. notwithstanding the sincerity and good intentions of the priest.

Nicky makes the point, with which I agree, that Michael Matt didn’t cover anything except attending Mass and getting along with everyone. But there’s a lot more to Catholic living than that, and his rather superficial approach, which won wild applause on his blog, failed to take into account the widespread lack of catechesis, and other issues that make the matter slightly more complicated. He’s certainly correct to denounce the “blame-game” mentality and a prideful hostility towards other traditional groups – that’s wrong, of course. However, I don’t think a “let’s go along to get along” mentality is right either, and – in fact – never really works in the best interests of the full truth. I do agree about acknowledging a certain “unity of purpose” – which is why when I encourage new people to attend the TLM I do, while stressing that the SSPX is the preferred destination for reasons explained, add that if it’s not possible to attend the SSPX, here are the other Masses available and point them to the SP parishes (we don’t have any FSSP or ICTK churches in this neck of the woods.)

Not sure if I’m rambling above – I’ve been away from my computer for hours, just back, racing round the latest posts, so apologise if it’s not too clear.

September 1, 2015 at 10:39 pm
    • Nicky

Christina,

I have never been in a church in any diocese that didn’t have the Catholic papers, so called, on sale. I just presumed that any other churches, even if run by traditional priests, would have to sell them, too.

I did say I was going by the argument I’ve seen posted here a lot and which editor gives again (September 1st at 10.39pm) about the “ethos”, which I thought was a valid argument. I agree with her about us adults being able to go to the diocesan churches and come out the other end OK, but I think it’s a fair point about confusing younger Catholics with mixed messages. I wouldn’t leave a copy of the Daily Record lying around my living room for my children to read, and in the same way I wouldn’t want copies of the Scottish Catholic Observer, Catholic Times or the Tablet lying around, or risk my older children reading them at the back of the church or even buying one. Also church bulletins.

I was only saying that I think that argument which I’ve read often on this blog is a valid one, but that Michael Matt didn’t touch on it.

I don’t think it’s “senseless and counterproductive” for a parent to do a “risk assessment” and maybe decide to stick with the SSPX because it’s not under the control of the diocese at all. There doesn’t have to be any nastiness towards other groups. People are choosing to attend one parish rather than another parish all the time, it doesn’t mean you hate anyone or anything like that. Some people like going to Jesuits for Confession, for example, other people prefer going to the Passionists or Dominicans. I think it’s a bit of a straw man, really, that Mr Matt has set up.

September 2, 2015 at 1:05 am

This is a not very nice response from Father Z on his blog, IMHO

I can’t make him out because one minute he seems to want the SSPX to be “reconciled” and the next he’s saying their confessions are not valid. He’s welcoming the news about the Year of Mercy but using it to repeat the error that the confessions are not valid until the Year of Mercy begins. I don’t think he really understands the situation at all.

September 2, 2015 at 12:41 am
    • Nicky

Margaret Mary,

There was a great reply to Father Z on The Remnant a while back, showing that he was wrong about SSPX confessions (not that he’ll ever admit it.)

I had a look at his blog from your link and reading the comments it is just gobsmacking how many ignorant Catholics there still are out there when it comes to the SSPX. One bloggers is asking if it is OK to attend the SSPX chapel during the Year of Mercy since it’s nearer than the only other church that has an “EF” Mass. The sheer lack of logic is stupefying. As if they could be schismatic before and after the Year of Mercy but not during it. LOL!

September 2, 2015 at 12:54 am

Father Z is one very confused priest and, he fails to see the lack of logic in the Pope’s position. No, I’m not talking about the fact that nobody questions Cardinal Kasper’s level of “communion” within the Church (or, more accurately, his lack of it) or HIS right to faculties to absolve in Confession, nope, just the SSPX priests who are warning their congregations to resist the proposals put forward by Cardinal Kasper regarding divorced/remarried and those in same-sex unions and to stick, instead, with the divinely revealed truths which the Church has always taught.

That there are people on the Fr Z blog who actually think that the SSPX priests are a danger to souls while dissenters like Cardinal Kasper and Monsignor Basil Loftus who writes for not one, not two but three “Catholic” newspapers and is now appearing in the Redemptorists Sunday bulletin read in umpteen parishes around the land, really throws into question the observation of the cardinal at Vatican II who dismissed the need to discuss Catholic education arguing that the Church had never had such an educated and articular laity. No way could he say that now, with numpties like these warning against the one group of priests in the Church who preach today what the Church has always taught, while believing that (unlike Kasper and Loftus) they are “not in full communion”.

Gerragrip, Fr Z & groupies. Wake up and smell the apostasy!

September 2, 2015 at 8:49 am

The Pope went out to buy specs in Rome

Scrolling down to the photo of the crowd round his car, I couldn’t help the uncharitable thought that maybe he thrives on the attention, publicity etc.

September 4, 2015 at 11:51 am

I should have said to click on the video at the top as you can see the crowds outside the shop there as well and the kerfuffle inside the shop.

September 4, 2015 at 11:53 am
  • leprechaun

Madame Editor,

What a pity the pope did not go to SpecSavers for his new spectacles. According to their advertisements, he would have had no further problems with seeing where he was going or what he was doing.

I think he should be told.

September 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Leprechaun,

Agreed!

I would add that my first thought on seeing the video and reading the report (which coincides with your own astute comment) was, if only there were some outlet where he could find help to “see” in another sense – with the eyes of the soul; that, surely, would lead him to fix this crisis without delay. Then, when he’d arrange a date for the Consecration of Russia, I’d be booking MY place in the crowds to cheer him with gusto. Even if he appeared wearing his fireman’s helmet and red nose. 😀

September 4, 2015 at 1:19 pm
  • Gerontius

This is a major alert from Dr. Kelly Bowring regarding Pope Francis.

Greetings in Christ. My name is Dr. Kelly Bowring and I am a Catholic Theologian in good standing, a former university professor and graduate school dean, and the message I want to share with you today is solid and trustworthy, timely and urgent… I have dedicated the last several years to studying, analyzing and reporting on solid Christian biblical and modern prophecy related to our times.

I have discovered that this is the most important time in the history of the world, at least since Christ. And this is the most important message ever given to humanity by God since the time of Bible, and that the greatest divine events since the resurrection of Christ are about to occur.

Read the rest of this article here

It’s long, full of detail and very, very alarming. He also, has thoughts on Pope Francis similar to those of the excellent Fr. Linus Clovis.

I urgently request all to read this ASAP

September 4, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Gerontius

“Dr” Bowring is a mouthpiece of the alleged visionary Maria Divine Mercy. Another clearly false “prophet” I’m afraid. Please don’t be taken in by this.

September 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Gerontius,

I see Therese has beat me to it – it’s not so long ago that we had a conversation about Dr Bowring et al – perhaps it wasn’t you, but we made clear then to the blogger who posted a similar link, that we do not pay attention to such “prophecies”. Let’s stick to what we know in the approved prophecies and we won’t go wrong. We don’t need any “prophet” to tell us to “take offence” at Pope Francis if by that they mean don’t pay the slightest bit of attention to anything he says or does which is not kosher Catholic, so to speak. But it is important not to go off at tangents and take seriously the more sensationalist websites. Stick to this one which is sensational all right, but only for the best of reasons 😀

September 5, 2015 at 12:30 am