General Discussion (9)

General Discussion (9)

group-discussion-213800If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to  make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.   Enjoy!

To read General Discussion Thread (1) click here (2) click here (3) click here  (4) click here (5) click here (6) click here (7) click here (8) click here

RCA Victor

The books you may wish to start with are the works of Michael Davies, such as ‘Pope Paul’s New Mass’, ‘Cranmer’s Godly Order’, etc. A Google search will bring up many of his excellent writings and where to purchase them.

Other books I would add as a must read are: ‘The Rhine Flows into the Tiber’, by Fr. Ralph Wiltgen, and ‘The Popes Against Modern Errors,’ a compilation of 16 Papal Encyclicals available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Popes-Against-Modern-Errors/dp/089555643X

And of course the writings of Archbishop Lefebvre, such as ‘They Have Uncrowned Him’ and ‘Open Letter to Confused Catholics’. These should give you all the background you require and fill in any gaps.

Good reading to you!

January 4, 2016 at 10:42 pm
    • RCA Victor

Many thanks, Athanasius. Here’s another question: has anyone that you know of written about a parallel between the initiating acts of the French Revolution (i.e. the Third Estate demanding that all three Estates meet together) and the initiating act of Vatican II (i.e. a Cardinal – was it Lienart? – taking the microphone and announcing that “we” refuse to accept the drafts created by the Preparatory Commission)? Moreover, comparing how each revolution proceeded from those initial acts? As I understand it, the Freemasons had a strong and well-organized presence at both these momentous events. Another surprising parallel is that both events were convoked without, apparently, the slightest hint of revolution. The French Revolution opened with a majestic procession of all three Estates, with the King and his retinue, into the Cathedral to celebrate a Mass of the Holy Ghost. (I’m listening to a Michael Davies’ lecture on the French Revolution).

January 5, 2016 at 11:46 pm
  • Helen

When I heard on the BBC news tonight that women had held a vigil outside Cologne cathedral to protest to being sexually harassed by over 1000 men. I knew. Muslims. And I was right. Watch this:

January 6, 2016 at 12:36 am
    • Christina

Helen, it was inevitable, from the day we saw masses of opportunistic young Muslim men being welcomed all over Europe as ‘refugees’. We ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. Just as inevitable is the massive whitewash. ‘Young North African men’, not Muslims, neo-Nazis fomenting trouble, not Muslims, German young women who have been harrassed, one by an ‘Arab’ (not a Muslim) forcing his way into her home, trotted out on the Victoria Derbyshire programme to say it’s nothing to do with ‘refugees’ and they welcome ‘diversity’! The universal PC blindness is so totally bizarre and against all human reason that it can only be, like that of the Church, a diabolical disorientation. Christ must be banished from Europe and Allah must reign in His place. .

January 8, 2016 at 11:31 am

Sorry, folks, I meant to post an Epiphany thread but it’s been (another) one of those days.

However, can’t let it pass without wishing everyone a Happy Feast Day and a reminder that there is a Mass in the SSPX chapel, Renfrew Street, Glasgow, this evening at 6.30pm. Sorry, can’t remember the details for the Edinburgh chapel. Vianney – help!

January 6, 2016 at 4:05 pm
    • Vianney

Well its a bit late Editor but we had Mass at 12.30 p.m. Unfortunately Fr. Brucciani forgot to mention it on Sunday.

January 6, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Vianney,

Or maybe Fr Brucciani knows enough about the Glasgow/Edinburgh divide to … er… “forget” to mention it…? Kidding!

January 7, 2016 at 12:03 am
      • Vianney

Editor, We did have a couple of people from Glasgow at Mass so it must have been announced somewhere, but I think the real reason is that he was so taken by our crib, which he said was the best he had seen, that he forgot about everything else.

January 7, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Vianney,

Well, your crib probably WAS the best he had seen – and that because, drum roll…. he didn’t make it to Glasgow this time!

January 7, 2016 at 9:58 pm
      • Vianney

Well according to Athanasius he didnae miss much.

January 7, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Vianney,

I’ll give you the crib. Ours in Glasgow was made by primary one children by the look of it, and not very gifted children at that!!

January 7, 2016 at 10:03 pm
      • Vianney

I’m sure God loves it just the same Athanasius. I remember when a crib was first put up at my work. A stable was made from a cardboard box and some brown paper. Someone commented that it wasn’t up to much to which someone else replied “it was a stable, not the Bethlehem Hilton.”

January 7, 2016 at 10:33 pm
  • crofterlady

Happy feast day to all!

January 6, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Well, Crofterlady, don’t let’s keep you. That’s a whole four words you’ve posted there, and we’ve not heard from you since last year – can never resist that one 😀

January 7, 2016 at 12:04 am
      • crofterlady

Five words, Editor!

January 7, 2016 at 5:48 pm
      • Vianney

Aye Crofterlady, a teacher and she cannae count.

January 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Crofterlady & Vianney,

Just testing. Now I know you are paying attention. Well done for spotting my deliberate misteak! 😀

January 7, 2016 at 9:56 pm
      • Vianney

Ok, Captain Mainwaring.

January 7, 2016 at 11:54 pm
  • Christina

Happy Epiphany everyone – well I hope it was – I’m late as usual!

RCA Victor, I’ve only just looked at this thread after quite a while, and saw your question re how bloggers saw the light, as it were (appropriate for Epiphany). I might easily have lost my faith because of the imposition of the NO, but an NO priest gave me a copy of ‘Pope Paul’s New Mass’ (Michael Davies) and after that I bought his other books- ‘Cranmer’s Godly Order’, ‘The Second Vatican Council and Religious Liberty’ and ‘Pope John’s Council’, and also many of his shorter books and pamphlets such as ‘The Tridentine Mass – The Mass That Will Not Die’. I was privileged to know Michael Davies a little, and attended conferences at which he spoke which were always inspiring. He was a remarkable, faith-filled man, and all his books and pamphlets eventually found their way onto my bookshelves. I also have those books that Athanasius and Westminster Fly mentioned, and ‘The Rhine Flows into the Tiber’ influenced me greatly, and enabled me to read the documents of Vatican II with, I hope, a clearer Catholic mind. Other books included ‘In the Murky Waters of Vatican II’ by Atila Sinke Guimarães, ‘The Jesuits’ by Malachi Martin (essential to an understanding of this Pope and what he is doing to the Church), ‘Trojan Horse in the City of God’ by Dietrich von Hildebrand, and, of course, ‘The Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent’ and ‘The Catechism of the Council of Trent’, for they contain the Faith as I was taught it. Books written on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, with imprimatur, before Vat.II and the NO were thought of by us innocents are also very inspiring. Unlike many bloggers here I did not come back to tradition via the SSPX. I swallowed the lie that it was schismatic (put about by certain clerics that have been much praised by some bloggers), and so I worked simply for the restoration of the Mass. Somewhere along the way I discovered that the schismatic calumny was mere self-service, and so I discovered that my love of the Mass must spring from complete orthodoxy and not nostalgia. I’ve still got a lot to read! (That reminds me “Orthodoxy is my doxy. Heterodoxy is someone else’s doxy”)😁. Now I suppose Ed will get her blue pencil out and reduce my pittance.😕

January 6, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Christina,

“I suppose Ed will get her blue pencil out and reduce my pittance.”

As if! I mean, would I?

I’m just hoping I’m not one of those who has praised “certain clerics” who told you the SSPX is schismatic. Pray tell me, cos if this is that time we’ve all been waiting for, when I could possibly be wrong about something, I want to know about it 😯

January 7, 2016 at 12:00 am
      • Christina

Ed, “As if, I mean, would you?”!!!

January 7, 2016 at 10:13 am

Christina,

I sincerely hope not! I’d never live it down! With bells on!

January 7, 2016 at 10:58 am
  • RCA Victor

Christina,

Thanks so much, that is a wonderful list. (and if you know where I can get “Trojan Horse” at a reasonable price, please post the info. I have “Devastated Vineyard,” but both are out of print.)

My own entry into the SSPX was a bit odd: the first time I went to one of their Masses was Christmas morning 2007. The boiler in their old building had failed and everyone sat there shivering. Aside from that, I had the strangest feeling that there was something vital missing, something supernatural that is, but I had/have no idea what it was. Probably a trick of the devil. At any rate, I returned on the first Sunday of Advent 2009, sans previous feeling, and have remained there happily, ever since.

As for your pittance, perhaps Editor will catch on to the “Year of Mercy” – or, I could arrange for her to be visited by three spirits on the eve of the next Holy Day…

January 7, 2016 at 12:20 am
  • RCA Victor

While we’re on the subject of books, I’ve just finished a very intriguing, brand new one: Pope Leo XIII and the Prayer to St. Michael. This is a fascinating detective piece thoroughly investigating the truth of the apocryphal legend of Leo XIII’s vision which led to his promulgation of the prayer…a legend which, if my aging brain serves, was quick to be debunked by Editor in years past.

I won’t give away the author’s (Kevin Symonds) conclusion, but if anyone is interested, there are a couple of puzzling caveats:

1. The author waffles on whether the Consecration has been performed, though he acknowledges that there has been quite a bit of controversy over it. He apparently does not wish to sidetrack his narrative on the subject, but it comes up during the process of trying to connect the dangers to the Church indicated at Fatima with the dangers perceived by Leo.

2. He supplies a surprising excerpt from a recently published (in Portugal) biography of Sister Lucy, at the end of which he quotes Our Lady’s instruction to Sr. Lucy in 1944 about her difficulty writing down the Third Secret, ending with “After writing it, place it in an envelope, close it and seal it and write on the outside that this can be opened in 1960 by the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon or by the Bishop of Leiria.”

I’m far from a Fatima expert, but that is the first time I have seen that. I thought Our Lady’s instructions were directed at the “Pope of 1960.” The name of his source is from 2013, “Carmelo de Santa Teresa – Coimbra, Um Caminho sob o Olhar de Maria: Biografia da Irma Lucia de Jesus e do Coracao Imaculado, O.C. D.

January 7, 2016 at 12:42 am

RCA Victor

That quote about the text of the Third Secret is, as you’ve probably guessed, false.

Our Lady instructed Sister Lucy that the Third Secret was to be known to the world “no later than 1960,” because the world would better understand at that time what it meant. She did not restrict the year of revelation to 1960, but merely stated that 1960 was the latest it could be revealed if the chastisement it referred to was to be averted.

Additionally, Sister Lucy told the Bishop that he was free to read the text of the Secret at will, but the Bishop hesitated for fear of being influenced by it. Rome ordered it to be delivered to the Vatican in 1957, after which date it was kept in the Papal apartments in a safe.

January 7, 2016 at 12:58 am

Actually, I recall that in her own memoires, Sister Lucy declared that the Third Secret was to be revealed to the world upon her death or in any event no earlier than 1947 and no later than 1960. Perhaps the Bishop of Leiria misunderstood and just wrote “to be opened in 1960” on the envelope when it was sent in 1957 to the Vatican. Pius XII, it is said, was definitely of the belief that 1960 was the year for revealing the Third Secret, that’s why the envolope was found to be unopened upon his death in 1958.

January 7, 2016 at 1:10 am
      • westminsterfly

The whole ‘1960’ issue, and the attempt to debunk it, was discussed in great length in Christopher Ferrara’s book ‘The Secret Still Hidden’ – online version here:- http://www.secretstillhidden.com/book.html particularly in this chapter:- http://www.secretstillhidden.com/pdf/ensshch8.pdf

January 7, 2016 at 1:07 pm

RCA Victor

Is this the same ‘Trojan Horse’ book? http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Horse-City-God-Explained/dp/0918477182

January 7, 2016 at 12:49 am
    • RCA Victor

Thank you! So much for my memory…..today is Thursday, right?

January 7, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Here is a great article on the incoherence and evil of ecumenism, from Rorate:

January 7, 2016 at 12:17 pm

A man has been shot dead inside the Basilica at Fatima.

The link is in portuguese, but I ran it through google translate, producing a comprehensible translation:

FÁTIMA

Man shot dead in the Sanctuary

The National Guard Republic indicates that a 68-year-old man was found dead Thursday in Holy Trinity Basilica at the Shrine of Fatima, after having heard a shot.

The shot was heard from the guards of the sanctuary, who went immediately to the scene to see what was going on, but they found the victim already in serious condition. The INEM was called, but resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful.

However, according to the Journal News, the Judicial Police has identified that this is a natural man of Ribeira de Fráguas, Rio Maior municipality.

Original link:

January 7, 2016 at 9:29 pm

WOW – that is very interesting. I’ve not heard any news broadcasts today, so not sure if it’s been reported here. Thank you for that alert, Gabriel Syme.

January 7, 2016 at 9:46 pm
  • RCA Victor

Here’s a little song for Miss McMoneypenny, from her old friend “Torkay,” as I’ve been instructed to call him, with best wishes for a blessed New Year:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrfIoWiQS24&w=854&h=480%5D

January 8, 2016 at 4:07 pm

That’s very funny – LOL!

January 8, 2016 at 4:32 pm
      • Christina

Duh, I don’t get it 😕.

January 8, 2016 at 6:45 pm
    • Petrus

Gosh I miss Torkay!

Sent from my Samsung device

January 8, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Petrus,

Don’t we all! If there’s one thing we need these days, it’s a Grand Inquisitor! With bells on!

January 8, 2016 at 10:43 pm
      • Petrus

Remember “Conceit”? Come back, Conceit! All is forgiven!

Sent from my Samsung device

January 8, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Petrus,

Sorry, but let’s (continue to) forget “Conceit”. Remembering is way too painful 😯

January 9, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Folks, this thread is well and truly over it’s 500 mark and it will be a day or two before I can close and replace it, so, be aware that it will be closing soon, and no point starting a whole new topic. Having said that, if that happens, I will let it go to exhaustion point or 600 whichever comes first.

In the meantime, I would urge everyone to sign this petition – self-explanatory – about a family in or from around Aberdeen, who have had their children unjustly removed and put into care because the father tried to report a paedophile approach to the police. This petition focuses on their experience when they took refuge in Ireland.

PS don’t miss the latest YouTube video at foot of the petition page, and note the earlier involvement of Police Scotland by checking out the other videos. Shocking that the media do not want to report this. As one person said, it looks like they are only interested in paedophiles once they’re dead, instead of investigating all allegations.

January 9, 2016 at 7:55 pm
  • Clotide

This is absolutely terrible and not the first time I have heard of this kind of unlawful practice.
    I was reading about a family with 5 children from Norway whose children were taken from their parents because the girls had told a teacher that they had been smacked. The head teacher had approached someone about it and unintentionally drawn the family into social services who took over.
    The story came from the same website I think.

January 9, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Clotilde,

I’m going to post a thread on the subject of Brian Docherty’s situation because I have a suggestion to make that might win the approval of bloggers’ (and Brian Docherty himself) – or perhaps not. So, I suggest we all hold fire in order to comment on the new thread which I’ll post as soon as possible. In the meantime, please everyone sign the petition. .

January 9, 2016 at 10:33 pm
  • crofterlady January 13, 2016 at 5:02 pm
  • LadyCáit

Aaaagh! How much more can I take? In line for confession today, I noticed that near the tabernacle, the parish church had put up an ornate plaque with a star of David, a crescent moon, and a cross, all together, with a text about religious freedom and Vatican II! If that isn’t promoting religious indifferentism..

January 17, 2016 at 3:51 am

LadyCáit,

Yes, that is heresy, pure and simple. I could quote half a dozen pre-Vatican II Popes who would have defrocked a parish priest for such an outrage against divine truth.

January 17, 2016 at 1:57 pm
  • westminsterfly

REQUEST FOR HELP! Can anyone recommend a good book on the History of the Carmelite Order – preferably written pre-Vatican II. New or second-hand would be OK. Thanks.

January 18, 2016 at 10:02 am
  • westminsterfly

Dear Friends of Our Lady of Good Success,

We have exciting news that tomorrow – Monday, January 18th, there will be a Magnificat Media Radio interview – on the topic of Our Lady of Good Success at 6 AM and on the topic of Our Lady of Good Success at 7AM CST and again in the afternoon at 3PM and 4PM CST.

Please try and pass the word for getting the word out on Our Lady of Good Success’s 25th Anniversary of Her Canonical Coronation!

Article on their Blog Here:

To listen to the interview click on the Blue “Listen Live” button on upper right hand side of page

Why Our Lady of Good Success is SO important to us NOW!

The Mother of God warned of the present-day crisis of the Catholic Church, the destruction of her enemies, and putting into office a new Marian era that will come. Our Heavenly Mother came to warn us some 300 years before the well-known apparitions at Fatima. Who was this chosen and favored soul that heaven picked to inform us of these warnings? Mother Mariana de Jesus Torres. She was given to know many future events some of which, it is said, may be contained in the third part of the message of 1917 but have still not been revealed, such as, the apostasy in the clergy, the general extinguishing of the light of Faith, a conspiracy against the Church and the dominion of Satan.

Sister Mariana lived an extraordinary life. The number of visions, mystical favors, and miracles granted to her by heaven are many! Sister Mariana did in fact die three times. Historic and documented evidence shows that this holy religious truly died in 1582 and returned to life. She then continued to live until her second death on Good Friday of 1588. On Easter Sunday morning, two days later, she was resurrected again. Sister Mariana did finally die on January 16, 1635. Sister Mariana was given to know many future events, especially the situation of the Church in the 20th century and which unfortunately continues to this day. Our Lady told her that in these deplorable times of today, heresies would abound, there would be almost complete corruption of manners and customs, and the light of the Faith would nearly be extinguished! Sister Mariana, a 17th century sister, was asked to become an expiatory victim for OUR times. What is an expiatory victim? One who atones for sin committed against God through sacrifices. She became a sacrificial victim for the many profanations, blasphemies, abuses that go on today and to hasten the day of the triumphant restoration of the Church.

The prophecies of Our Lady of Good Success regarding the 20th century speak directly of an extreme crisis in the Church and in civil society. Our Mother warned sister Mariana de Jesus Torres that the Sacraments would be abused and set aside, that vocations would perish because of the poor formation and education in Catholic schools and monasteries, that impurity would overwhelm the streets like filthy ocean waters so that “there would be almost no virgin souls.” Repeatedly Our Lady warned of a crisis in the Church and the clergy both in secular and regular circles. Ever since I can remember I have always asked, “Why”? Why has the third secret never been revealed? If you think it has you are sorely mistaken. It has not! If it had been you would know by it’s fruits! If you have followed the Fatima apparition messages you would also know that Our Lady reverberated this: “In this supreme moment of need of the Church, those who should speak will fall silent.” With all these warnings from the Mother of God Herself why have the cardinals and the popes of the Church not taken a stand? Is this yet another punishment for our times?

During the main apparition, in the early morning hours of the Feast of the Purification in 1634, Our Lady appeared to sister Mariana giving her the five meanings the Sanctuary Light Extinguished. The first meaning was the propagation of various heresies. With the spread of these heresies in the world, it means that the precious light of Faith will be extinguished in souls by almost a total corruption of customs. The second meaning that the Sanctuary Light Extinguished, is the global sweeping of sensuality. The third meaning is the spirit of impurity. The fourth meaning for the lamp to be smothered is that the Masonic sects will infiltrate into all social classes and will subtly introduce its teaching to corrupt the hearts of children. This Masonic teaching will then also lead to the crisis in the clergy. Our Lady also pointed out that “This will mark the arrival of my hour”. The fifth meaning is the indifference of the wealthy and apathy of the people.

The message of Our Lady of Good Success is a motivation of hope. Our Lady said, “when the evil will appear triumphant and when the authority abuses my power”, this is when she promises her intercession, at that moment. She then said this would “mark the arrival of my hour, when I, in a marvelous way, will dethrone the proud and accursed Satan, trampling him under my feet and fettering him in the infernal abyss.” This message links perfectly well with the message of Fatima in 1917 when Our Lady said, “In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph.”

Now you know and you must decide either to take the stand yourself or be a victim of the circumstance. I would hope that you would choose Our Lady and stand with Her and let people know what we are up against and communicate to them how they can protect themselves from the snares of the devil and call upon Our Lady of Good Success for protection and to bring forth the restoration of the Church that we so desperately need today.

Time is NOT on our side anymore!

You can learn more about Our Lady of Good Success by listening to Your Morning Tradition onMagnificat Radio at http://www.magnificatmedia.com/ from 6am – 8am and from 3pm – 5pm on Monday, January 18th, 2016 when we interview Kathleen Heckencamp who co-runs the Apostolate of Our Lady of Good Success. Click the LISTEN LIVE button.

January 18, 2016 at 10:04 am
    • RCA Victor

Westminsterfly,

I have it from a mutual friend of ours that this interview was extremely disappointing. I did not listen to it myself, but I am wondering about the relationship between this “Magnificatmedia” website and the SSPX. Do you know anything about the site, or its owners?

January 21, 2016 at 11:43 pm
    • John

The start date to say the novena to Our Lady of Good Success is to start this Sunday Jan 25th,those interested link below.

I listened to the interview with Kathleen Heckencamp I thought she spoke well,she just outlined how the apostolate started it is an uplifting story which I believe can be read on the website.

January 22, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Westminsterfly,

I know the story and prophecies of Our Lady of Good Success very well, and they have been discussed many times on this blog in relation to Fatima. It is, as you rightly state, a most important and urgent message that every Catholic should inform themselves of and heed. Time is running out, but not for the faithful. It’s running out for Satan and his minions!

January 18, 2016 at 12:42 pm
    • westminsterfly

Just to clarify – I didn’t write that post, it was an email I received this morning.

Since then, Leprechaun has emailed me and said the following:- “CST Central Standard time is 6 hours behind GMT just now. So to listen to the 3pm CST broadcast one needs to download the website at a couple of minutes before 9pm GMT and press the “Listen Now” button, which is what I propose to do. Thanks for the heads up.”

January 18, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Late in the day news, but on Thursday 22nd January, Bishop Fellay is giving a lecture on the Family.

He is in Washington DC to both say a mass and attend the ‘DC March for Life’ on Friday 23rd.

His lecture on the Family can be viewed live online for a cost of $7 (perhaps £4 or 5), which is obviously to offset the cost of broadcasting the event online.

The time of the Thursday lecture is 5pm EST, which I believe is 10pm GMT.

More info and link to the broadcast here:

January 21, 2016 at 12:06 am