November: Month of the Holy Souls…

November: Month of the Holy Souls…

NovemberDeadListEnvelopeOctober, 2015

Dear Faithful,

We have once again arrived at this special time of the year devoted by Holy Mother Church to the holy souls in purgatory. During November the Church asks us to redouble our prayers and sacrifices for the remission of debt incurred by the faithful departed whose sins have already been pardoned.

In order to assist in providing relief to the suffering souls, the Regina Coeli House, headquarters of the Society of St. Pius X in the United States, is accepting names of the deceased. We will place these names on our chapel’s altar to be remembered at the commemoratio pro defunctis of every Mass offered during the month of November. You may submit names of the faithful departed to us either on the enclosed card or by emailing them to holysouls@sspx.org.

No stipend is required for this act of charity, but if you would like to offer a gift to the Regina Coeli House, you may do so, either by mail or by visiting www.sspx.org. The priests and brothers at the Regina Coeli House also remember each day the generous benefactors of the Society of St. Pius X at the community rosary.

I urge you take advantage of this important opportunity to relieve the poor souls in purgatory, particularly in this time of crisis when prayers for the deceased have greatly diminished in number and in fervor. I therefore encourage you to pray earnestly for the dead during the month of November. By visiting a cemetery and praying even mentally each day from November 1st to the 8th, one may also gain a plenary indulgence for the faithful departed. Please click here for specific instructions on how to obtain indulgences.

Finally, I challenge each of you to begin now inviting your friends and family members to participate in this noble effort. Many thanks in advance for your generosity on behalf of the holy souls in purgatory as well as any contribution you make to the Regina Coeli House. May Our Lord bless you abundantly for your efforts.

In Christo et Maria,

Fr. Jurgen Wegner
United States District Superior

Source

As we approach the month of the Holy Souls, it might be helpful to refresh our commitment to praying for our loved ones, family and friends, who have gone before us and who may be among the suffering Holy Souls in Purgatory.   Please post any stories about the Holy Souls, prayers, novenas, hymns – especially if you can find They Are Waiting For Our Petitions, one of my favourites hymns for the Holy Souls, on YouTube – I couldn’t locate it on a very quick search just now, so if A.N. Other can find it, that would be wonderful!

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them, may they rest in peace….

• Theresa Ros

The Fatima Crusader also has this article about the Holy Souls, it is interesting how it ends.
    “Did Catholics only know what powerful protectors they secure by helping the Holy Souls they would not be so remiss in praying for them.”

Very apt? Just think of Lucia being told by Our Lady that a friend of hers would in Purgatory till the end of time. And what of those abandoned souls who have no one to pray for them?

November 7, 2015 at 3:09 pm
  • crofterlady

“Very apt? It has been mentioned before that Our Lady told Lucia that one of her friends would be in Purgatory till the end of time. And what about those Holy Souls who have no one to pray for them?”

Theresa Rose, well whether or not they have anyone to pray for them, they will be out at the end of time with Lucia’s friend!

November 7, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Hello everyone! I’m back!

That was a long break, so I have decided to cancel my holiday in the Bahamas next week, to make up!

Thanks to all who kept the discussions going in my absence. I’ll be catching up over the next couple of days.

Some sad news came to me yesterday – Father Peter Lennon, priest of the Archdiocese of Glasgow, died suddenly on 9th November. He was appointed to “my” parish when I was a child in St Catherine’s Balornock – I believe it was his first parish after ordination.

Let’s remember him in our prayers for the Holy Souls this month of November, May he rest in peace…

November 11, 2015 at 9:37 am

Welcome back Editor, good to see you back at the helm! 🙂

November 11, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Thank you Gabriel Syme- I’m very glad it’s not a real helm or I’d be soaked to the skin and looking for more time off!

November 11, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Welcome back Editor, and prayers for the repose of Fr Lennon’s soul.

November 11, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Therese,

Thank you for your welcome home! And for the prayers for Fr Lennon’s soul. RIP.

November 11, 2015 at 6:51 pm
  • christiana

Just been reading about people’s recollections of All Souls’ Day and I was reminded about how we celebrated it at my Catholic primary school in the 50’s. Each child had to pay a visit and say I think three. Hail Marys, Our Fathers and Glory Be’s for a soul in purgatory. Then leave the church, walk round the little garden and then repeat the process. Each visit secured the release of the soul. We did this at great speed but with great fervor! At the end of the day we counted our visits to see how many souls we had saved.
    Seems rather ridiculous now but at the time not so. A more innocent trusting time I suppose.

November 11, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Christiana,

That was a lovely way to remember All Souls. Imaginative and – I have absolutely no doubt – very effective in helping souls out of Purgatory. “Innocent and trusting” is what God “does” – to use the contemporary parlance!

November 11, 2015 at 6:53 pm
  • crofterlady

Oh no, she’s back!!

November 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Crofterlady,

Watch it!

November 11, 2015 at 6:50 pm
    • Constantine

… but not for long. She will be retiring from public life in January as (you) previously announced.

November 12, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Constantine,

One of these days you will write a readily understood comment. I know that you are probably going to say that even a five year old child could understand your comments, but I make my own, the words of Groucho Marx: “Go out and find me a five year old child because I can’t make head nor tail of them (especially this latest one) !

November 12, 2015 at 8:37 pm
  • Theresa Rose

Here’s me thinking that you were in the Bahamas getting a tan. Glad that you are back.

I too remember Father Lennon at the same parish, I will keep him in my prayers.

November 11, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Theresa Rose,

I’m back – minus the tan… not many tans result from the wind and rain battering sunny Scotland right now!

November 11, 2015 at 6:51 pm
  • spudeater

“………..but it is only right that we should celebrate for this Editor of yours was lost* and is found, she was disconnected and has come back online.”

*just assuming Ed., that with all your technological difficulties, your Satnav had also gone haywire.

November 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Spudeater,

You’re getting funnier and funnier, I have to admit. Funny that. 😀

I thought if I stayed away long enough, you would have had time to organise that long-awaited Tattie-avatar. But no. Some things never change… still the same old (admittedly hilarious) punch lines and still no avatar. In the great scheme of things, it really does matter, Spudeater… You do realise that, don’t you?

November 11, 2015 at 8:13 pm
      • spudeater

Oh Ed! Please don’t get me started on my non-existent avatar. Each lovingly crafted post of mine only appears here AFTER I have also had to type in my username, email, password and this website address. Can you believe that? Next thing I know the darn system will want my birth-weight (4st 7lbs if you’re interested – I was a hungry/greedy baby).

This has been the situation for some time but I haven’t mentioned these issues up until now as I’m the sort who keeps it all bottled up. My only consolation is that successfully sending even one post is a good test of my patience.

Avatars?? They’re all Greek (or should that be Sanskrit?) to me.

November 11, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Spudeater,

You shouldn’t have to do all that. You should go to our website, click on “Blog” and then “log in” – you only have to type in your username and password.

Ah, but I’ve just remembered something….

If I send you an “INVITE” to sign up for the blog, it takes you right through to your dashboard.

Then you can sign up for a “username” only and then you can go to My Profile and change the daft username they generate for you, by scrolling to where it reads “Display name publicly as” and type in your preferred username (presumably Spudeater)

We can sort out the avatar after that – you’ll see in your dashboard that it shows the mystery man with an invitation to “change avatar” underneath.

But first things first. I’ll get WordPress to INVITE you…

Stand by (or if at your computer, “sit” by! )

November 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm
  • Vianney

Welcome back Editor, I was beginning to think you had opened the door and let the Jehovah’s Witnesses in.

November 11, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Spot on, Vianney. I thought, give it a whirl and then, nope. Better the devil(s)you know…

November 12, 2015 at 10:33 am
      • Vianney

Aye, quite right. Some people will go to any lengths to get out of buying Christmas presents.

November 12, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Vianney,

How did you guess?

November 12, 2015 at 11:45 pm
  • christiana

I have had just the same problem as Spudeater with regard to sending a blog. You have no idea how many pearls of wisdom have failed to get through after I have given up and gone for a lie down! I had another go yesterday and somehow my contribution eventually made it. If this does as well, then hallelujah! Problem solved. But I have no idea how …

November 12, 2015 at 9:01 am

Christiana,

Will send you an INVITE – you have to click on ACCEPT and, hopefully, all of your log in problems will be resolved. Let me know if problems persist.

November 12, 2015 at 10:33 am
  • christiana

Thank you Editor! I will try that, then I will have to hope I can find useful things to say…

November 12, 2015 at 11:06 am

Your posts are always useful – and that avatar would brighten up the most miserable day!

I hope it’s straightforward but let me know if you experience any difficulties.

November 12, 2015 at 11:48 pm
  • Andrew Paterson

Late Again. What can I say? I went back for a second helping of looks when they were giving out the brains…

On October 16th I wrote to the Scottish Bishops care of Mr Kearney at SCMO, the Moderator of the Church of Scotland, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster.

I wrote;
    “This year November 1st falls on a Sunday.
    All Saints Day is a day when we recognise and celebrate the Church Triumphant.
    It would be very good to celebrate this with a great ringing of bells throughout the land. Every Church with bells to ring them from nine in the morning until noon, non-stop.
    Just to remind everyone.”

I received the following replies;

From Archbishop of Canterbury
    Dear Mr Paterson – Archbishop Justin asks me to thank you for your message. The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers publishes a calendar of occasions on which it is encouraged that bells are rung. 1 November is one of the Church Festivals included. We may therefore look forward to the sound of bells across the country on that day – though of course the extent to which towers respond will depend on the number of ringers available.

From Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster
    H.E. Cardinal Vincent Nichols has asked me to acknowledge on his behalf your recent email communication as he is currently in Rome for the Synod of Bishops. The Cardinal thanks you for writing to him and H.E. has noted your comments. The Cardinal assures you of his prayers and best wishes.

From Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
    Thank you for your email which was forwarded to the Moderator. I reply on his behalf as he is currently out of the office. The Moderator has discussed your suggestion with colleagues and has asked me to let you know that while he finds it an interesting suggestion, it would not be practical in the timescale available to carry out the necessary consultations with Presbyteries, congregations and local authorities to make it happen. Individual congregations will, of course, be marking All Saints’ Day appropriately in their worship services. The Moderator will be conducting worship in Dunfermline Presbytery as part of his visit there and looks forward to that very much.

From Peter Kearney for Attn Scottish Bishops
    Catholic Church, Scotland

No Reply

Ho Hum. Not a lot of enthusiasm for Christian celebration, it seems.
    I suppose that the lack on any response from Kearney may be either a general thing or it may just be me. I did not get a response to my last letter either.

November 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Andrew,

Perhaps it would have been better to write to one of the bishops directly. They are likely to have answered your query since it is inoffensive, and is in no way challenging the exercise of their office. Personally, I’ve always had a reply from Peter Kearney so I’m guessing that he’s a bit out of his depth when it comes to bells. With bells on, so to speak 😀 Still, there’s no excuse for not, at least, acknowledging your communication – it is the height of bad manners not to do so. It is akin, in my view, to ignoring a person who speaks to us in a room. We surely wouldn’t do that, so why ignore a written communication, whether a letter, text or email? Perhaps you could resend it, asking why it was ignored – I think it may have been overlooked and he may reply to the resend, suitably shamefaced.

I did smile a very wry smile, however, to read the reply from Cardinal Nichols. That seems to be his standard response to anyone who contacts him about anything whatsoever. He comes across as utterly superior – I’ve never once known him to write a proper reply to any correspondent, and I’ve known plenty. One of our readers has been writing to him for years, and always gets the same insultingly superior response. I wouldn’t waste any time on him – if I get that longed for scoop about any errant behaviour of his, I’ll not be checking it out with him before publication, that’s for sure. Life’s too short 😯

November 17, 2015 at 12:12 am