2016: What Kind Of Year Lies Ahead?

2016: What Kind Of Year Lies Ahead?

As we approach the end of 2015, and await the midnight bells to welcome in the new year, it might be helpful to reflect on the usefulness (or otherwise) of making new year resolutions.  Here are some thoughts to kick start the discussion (and jokes are welcome, as well, always in the category of “good clean fun”)    happy-new-year-animated-gifs-images

A New Year’s resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.

My New Year’s resolution is to stop hanging out with people who ask me about my New Year’s resolutions.

If 2015 was a person, I’d sue him for pain and suffering and lost wages.

I have only one resolution. To rediscover the difference between wants and needs. May I have all I need and want all I have. Happy New Year!

Finally… Alongside reflecting on our new year’s resolutions (if any), and sharing some fun stories and jokes,  if you’re in a more serious mood, be a spoilsport, feel free to share your thoughts on  what it is that you would most want to see happen in 2016 in both the world and the Church.  Over to thee!

The first thing to put in your new diaries, folks, is the planned Catholic Truth Conference, on Saturday,18th June in Glasgow. Already, some of those who know some of the details, are prophesying that it will be “a stormer”, so you won’t want to miss it. Make sure, then, that 2016 really does turn out to be a “very happy new year” for you by marking the date in your diary without delay. Further information soon, that’s a promise!

December 31, 2015 at 7:42 pm
    • Petrus

Yes, it looks a cracker! Can’t wait….imagine persuading Pope Francis to perform the Consecration of Russia at the Catholic Truth Conference in Communion with all the bishops of the world and the editor of Catholic Truth! Amazing!

January 1, 2016 at 10:20 am

Petrus,

Don’t let’s speak too soon. I’ve been hearing about other conferences, less than successful ones…

January 1, 2016 at 11:09 pm

In the last month of 2015 we’ve been visited here in the UK by storms Desmond, Eva and Frank. That’s a lot of storms left for next year, all the way up the alphabet to Z. You know me, always willing to jump in with a comforting thought!!

December 31, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Yes, but what did they call the strongest ever recorded storm in the Western Hemisphere? Hurricane Patricia!

You gotta love it!

December 31, 2015 at 11:14 pm
      • Petrus

I’ve felt the brunt of that particular hurricane a few times!

January 1, 2016 at 10:19 am

Petrus,

You old flatterer!

Happy New Year everyone!

January 1, 2016 at 4:20 pm
    • Christina

Still, I’m glad the Frank one’s over.

January 1, 2016 at 11:53 am
      • Petrus

Storm Frank has been pounding the Church since Pope Benediction XVI resigned!

January 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Petrus,

Witty, very witty!!

January 1, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Petrus,

You’re not kidding…

January 1, 2016 at 4:28 pm
    • Frankier

Athanasius

So what happened to the storms Athanasius, Benedict Carter and Catholic Convert then?

January 1, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Frankier,

I’ll give you Benedict Carter, but Athanasius and Catholic Convert? No, these two are gentle breezes, surely?

January 1, 2016 at 1:04 pm
      • spudeater

Hurricane Ben C. blew all the way across the Atlantic (electronically speaking) and now makes regular contributions on The Remnant’s blogs as both himself and his alter ego, Uncle Joe Stalin. I think it was Ed. sending him that Glasgow Kiss video that was the last straw.

The man himself, however, has been stuck on Ellis Island for the past four months now as U.S. Customs aren’t yet sure if his presence in the Land of the Free would be conducive to the public good. (Just kiddin’,Ben, if you’re looking in).

January 2, 2016 at 12:49 am

Frankier,

I believe they’re all photographed here…

January 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

“You gotta love it!”

What? Being equated with a wind and watter-spewing depression? Surely not?

Ah yes, the old ones are definitely the best!!

December 31, 2015 at 11:45 pm

January 1, 2016 at 4:31 pm

It’s a pity you can’t superimpose our faces on those two wee cartoon characters, just for effect!

January 1, 2016 at 4:36 pm

If only I had the skill, let alone the time! That would’ve been fun, sweet fun!

January 1, 2016 at 4:46 pm
  • crofterlady

A very happy New Year to one and all!

January 1, 2016 at 11:48 am

Crofterlady,

“Does anybody really believe that no lives were lost or injured in that hotel fire in Dubai?”

It does sound a bit Dubai-ous, doesn’t it?

January 1, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Dubious? You turning into a Doubting Thomas?

January 1, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Good cartoon, Editor. Skeptics are truly unbelievable people!

January 1, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Crofterlady,

What are you LIKE? Why can’t you just believe what you’re told on the news, like the rest of us?

January 1, 2016 at 4:48 pm
  • Christina

Right, Spoilsport here. What was the headline item on the BBC channel 130 news that I heard to start 2016? ISIS threats of suicide bombers close railway stations in Munich as New Year celebrations get under way. Why does the BBC and the rest of the world’s media constantly feed these inhuman monsters’ propaganda machine?

January 1, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Christina,

Maybe, cos, if we were in Munich, we wouldn’t want to be going to catch a train?

I heard that the Chief of Police is called Mr Justin Case, so maybe he’s being over sensitive about the threats. Still, I think I’d call a cab, me, if Mr Case put the case to me, so to speak, that I just might end up in wards 1-25 of the Munich equivalent of the Royal Infirmary, if I headed for what’s left of the railway station …

Just sayin’ … just in case 😀

Happy New Year Christina! 😉

January 1, 2016 at 4:44 pm
      • crofterlady

Editor, a word of advice: put more water in it!

January 1, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Crofterlady,

Are you suggesting I drink too much? Really? Moi?

Listen, I’m not so think as you drunk I am …

January 1, 2016 at 7:18 pm
      • Christina

Silly Billy Ed, that was the headline news when I got up at 10.30 am (don’t panic – there was no Mass here today). The suicide scare was then more than 10 hours old and the stations had probably reopened. If ever a woman suffered! (Me, not you).

January 1, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Christina,

Silly me, right enough. I should have known better…

January 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Of course we’d all love to see the Consecration of Russia, as Our Lady asked, so that’s number 1.

On a more frivolous note, and after spending too many hours in supermarkets recently, I’d like to make it law that women who have queued up at the food till should take that time to search the bottom of their handbags to find their purses and have their money ready to pay. It’s not a lot to ask, I’m not greedy.

Happy New Year to one and all, from a very grumpy shopper!

January 1, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Therese,

My pet hate in supermarkets is having to wait while the check out girl counts a load of coupons for the shopper in front of me.

Happy New Year from another grumpy shopper!

January 1, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Therese & Margaret Mary,

So, you think YOU’VE got shopping problems?

January 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm

But it’s true!…

January 1, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Therese,

Doesn’t pay to be always telling the truth – trust me…

January 1, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Margaret Mary

Ooh yes – and those endless coupons you get with your receipt promising points for food you’re never going to buy. Grr – they took away the bags for love of the planet, and yet destroy a rain forrest a month with all of this extraneous ticker tape.

January 1, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Therese,

I couldn’t agree more. And I think the guys in the pic below will agree, as well!

January 1, 2016 at 7:35 pm
  • spudeater

This blog seems to have transmogrified into a cross between the Shopping Channel and Cartoon Time. All it needs now is recipes and ‘Word of the Day’ and Readers Digest Online will be suing. May I bring it back to its original purpose (if only temporarily) by relaying the following salutary tale?

Two nuns going home by train for Christmas were in the dining-car when two young men sat opposite them, having decided that they would try to shock the religious. Said one, “I’m going home for my parents’ wedding: they think it’s about time.” The other replied, “Mine thought of getting married but turned it down as it’s too expensive.” One of the nuns then said, “Would one of you two bast**ds mind passing the mustard?”

January 1, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Spudeater,

As Athanasius said earlier, the old ones ARE the best. I’m turning a blind eye to your skirting very close to our “good clean fun” edge, because I can see that you are doing your best to get into the fun spirit of this blog. In other words…

January 1, 2016 at 10:45 pm
      • spudeater

Apologies,Ed. I’m just glad that you didn’t hear the actual conversation as apparently the nun in question didn’t use the asterisks.

Here’s a less controversial effort:

St. Thomas Aquinas was asked why he always had such big breakfasts. His defence was that one swallow doesn’t make a Summa.

January 1, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Love it, Spudeater. Love it!

January 1, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for their new year greetings, and for your patience with my cartoon contributions! I just couldn’t resist!

I’ll close this thread now and we’ll exchange greetings again, please God, this time next year. 2017. The year of the 100th apparitions at Fatima.

For now, the Catholic Truth team wish all our bloggers, readers and those dubbed as “lurkers”, every blessing and happiness in 2016.

January 2, 2016 at 11:19 am