General Discussion (10)

General Discussion (10)

cartoondiscussion10If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to  make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment.  Readers have occasionally gone straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes before posting here, please and thank you!

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions. Whatever.   Enjoy!

To read previous 9 General Discussion Threads, click on the links listed below.
(1)
click here  (2) click here  (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here
(6) click here
(7) click here  (8) click here  (9) click here

Here’s a Zenit report on Pope Francis’ “off the cuff” remarks on – wait for this – Earth Day.

Who remembers when we had St X’s Day and St Y’s Day? O the times they are a changing!

April 25, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I read the Pope’s waffle, for that’s what it was, a load of meaningless waffle, but with this dose of poison at the end: “And we come close in this humanity to work together. “But I’m of this religion, of that one …” It doesn’t matter! All go forward to work together.. respect one another, respect one another! And so we will see this miracle: the miracle of a desert that becomes a forest.” Once again we see here a Pope who puts supernatural truth aside for humanist ends. And the tragic irony of it is that people who do that turn the green forest of the soul into a desert!

April 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Utterly shocking. Pope Francis must surely be the first Humanist Pope in the entire history of the Church. Incredible. I used to see HP and think “Tomato Ketchup” – now I think Papa Francis!

April 25, 2016 at 11:23 pm
      • Gerontius

Do you think these words of Our Lord, which show the growth and consequences of “the mystery of iniquity” through the ages, have a particular relevance for our time?

It seems that many things, though not all, are occurring together now – APOSTASY, HERESY, FALSE PROPHETS, DECEIVERS, ANTICHRISTS causing WARS, FAMINE, MANY AND LARGE EARTHQUAKES, DANGEROUS HURRICANES, TORNADOES AND CYCLONES, – and the especially dangerous deception posed by the DEMONIC UFO PHENOMENA.

Matthew 24:4-14New International Version (NIV)

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

April 26, 2016 at 8:19 am
      • Petrus

I think he’s been on the sauce coming away with comments like that! Either he’s mad, bad or drunk!

April 26, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Petrus,

Wear that suit – the metal one – next Sunday, when I introduce you to Gerontius. He’s not “mad, bad or drunk” but he IS big Very!

April 26, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Unless I am mistaken, Petrus was referring to Pope Francis’ comments, as well as to yours about HP sauce!

April 26, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Oops! I think you’re right! Sorry, Petrus.

Gerontius, those “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” that we discussed? Don’t bring them on Sunday, after all… 😀

April 26, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Am I ever wrong? Do not answer that, at least not in a sentence replete with colourful metaphors!

April 26, 2016 at 9:50 pm
      • Gerontius

Thank you Editor, I have duly noted with amusement certain “remarks”

I can confirm for your peace of mind Editor, that I am never drunk, since I am TeeTotal,

I don’t think I’m mad – but I do have a measured IQ of 140 – then again, upon reflection, maybe I am.- my brother Jimislander, thinks I howl at the Moon occasionally

As for being “bad” Jim is best suited to answer that. He does at times though, liken me to nitroglycerin….. I often wonder why?

Which leads me to……..

Petrus,

I look forward to meeting you – in due course……..

April 26, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Gerontius,

In case you missed it, Athanasius pointed out that Petrus was referring to the Pope – not you! I got hold of the wrong end of the stick so be gentle with him when you meet Petrus!

April 26, 2016 at 11:22 pm
    • Christina

Has anyone ever heard of a public, indeed world figure coming out with such verbal diarrhoea as this Pope? I’ve read this particular example three times and each time the description seems more apposite. Is there nobody to tell him how he disgraces his office as Christ’s vicar on earth every time he opens his mouth?

April 26, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Christina

No, I cannot think of a single person of note on the world stage who has ever spoken so consistently in such a cryptic and cringe worthy manner. Pope Francis is certainly unique in that regard. President George W Bush came out with some crackers in his time, but nothing as crackers as Pope Francis’ off-the-cuff comments. It genuinely grieves me to say that about the Pope, but he humiliates the Church with his abstract drivel.

What really stuns me is how all those Modernist crawlers can sing the Pope’s praises and pretend that they get what he’s saying. It puts me in mind of the half wits in cravats and smoking jackets who go into modern art exhibitions, see a canvass with a central splurge of red paint atop a background of jaundice yellow and declare: “Oh yes, this is sunset over Tahiti”. What?

The normal person would say: “That’s a piece of cr*p. Tell the drug-snorter responsible not to give up his day job!

Sorry if this is a little crude but these pretend admirers of the abstract really do get my hump up!

April 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
  • crofterlady

Gerontius, what is “the demonic phenomenon Philomena” ?

April 26, 2016 at 11:52 am
  • crofterlady

Sorry, th a should read “UFO”

April 26, 2016 at 12:10 pm
    • crofterlady

Och weel, naebody is genging tae answer ma question :(((((

April 26, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Crofterlady,

If you read what Gerontius wrote again, you will see that he expressed concerns about wars, earthquakes, etc. he added: and the especially dangerous deception posed by the DEMONIC UFO PHENOMENA.

Which I take to mean the demonic phenomenon/phenomena of unidentified flying objects (UFO) – Gerontius will confirm or deny this in due course, I have no doubt. Patience wummin!

April 26, 2016 at 9:10 pm
      • Gerontius

Crofterlady -Editor- Athanasius,

Sorry for delay in answering – certain serious family health issues ongoing.
        Will answer in due course.

Gerontius

April 26, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Gerontius

Take all the time you need. I hope, please God, that your family health issue will be quickly and satisfactorily resolved.

April 26, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Crofterlady

I think Gerontius is referring to the modern myth that earth is being visited on a regular basis by wee green men from outer space.

April 26, 2016 at 9:47 pm
      • crofterlady

Athanasius, I listened to you on Radio Scotland the other morning and you were very good. I admired your calm and measured tones despite being lied to by Mzzzz Sturgeon. It took me a few moments to realise it was your good a self; I thought you represented some organization so good were you!

April 27, 2016 at 10:20 am

Crofterlady

Thank you for those very kind words. I didn’t recognise me at all, it sounded like my voice had been dubbed. Strange how we hear our voices differently inside our own head.

As for Mzzzz Sturgeon: she doesn’t just tell fibs, she hoggs the floor with them.

April 27, 2016 at 9:18 pm
  • westminsterfly

Apologies if this has been posted before – I haven’t got time to check at present. Notorious dissenter Tina Beattie is at it again. Please sign this petition:- http://www.citizengo.org/en/lf/34245-academic-lobbies-bishops-accept-discriminatory-abortion-against-disabled
    thanks
    WF

April 27, 2016 at 11:24 am

WF,

You will be pleased to learn that one of our readers has emailed Tina Beattie after reading your post. I once heard Tina Beattie speaking at a mad feminist meeting, as she shared a platform with the then Bishop Vincent Nichols. Both her talk and his indulgent reaction to it were awful to behold. I will now sign the petition – thank you for posting it.

April 27, 2016 at 3:00 pm
  • sixupman

How far we have travelled in the past quarter century:

A mother affected by the death of her son in the Liverpool Sheffield disaster related how her son rang her from the match stating he would not be able to get to Mass that Sunday, but would go the next day – he was killed in that tragedy.

How many youths to-day would even consider the situation?

April 27, 2016 at 2:32 pm

True, but, as events would reveal, whatever it was that he had decided to do that took precedence over the Sunday obligation to attend Mass, couldn’t have been that important after all. “Seek ye first, the Kingdom of God…”

April 27, 2016 at 2:57 pm
      • sixupman

I thought you would say that!

April 27, 2016 at 3:05 pm

That’s rather puzzling, as the match was on a Saturday.

April 27, 2016 at 3:42 pm
      • Nicky

Yes, but he was telling his mother that he couldn’t make Mass the next day, Sunday, but would go in the week.

April 27, 2016 at 6:20 pm
      • Michaela

I first thought maybe he meant he wouldn’t make the vigil Mass but would go next day Sunday, but then I realised that the mother said her son rang her from the match stating he would not be able to get to Mass that Sunday If he had meant that same day, Saturday, vigil
        Mass, he would have said so. We can only hope and pray that – as is very likely – he was a young enough person to have fallen victim to the bad teaching in schools and parishes in post-Conciliar times, and that God will have taken his good intention as the only guiding light available to him. He’d probably never heard that missing Sunday Mass was a mortal sin, or even a sin at all. May he rest in peace.

April 27, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Oh. Right.

April 27, 2016 at 6:30 pm

N O T I C E S . . .

1) the author of the book on Creation which was reviewed in the current (April) newsletter and is offered to all readers in the pdf version, contacted me today to say that he has updated the pdf version, so that it matches, exactly, the book now in print, and the Kindle version available to purchase (for a very small amount) on Amazon. I have now re-sent the pdf to as many as I could remember ordering it, but if I have omitted anyone, please simply email me on editor@catholictruthscotland.com and I will send you the updated pdf.

2) We’ve gone over the 500 comments mark for this thread, yet again, apologies for my neglect, so will leave it now until the 600 mark when it will be closed and a new GD thread open. So, take care, as this one fills up quickly, not to be in mid-sentence when I close it down!

April 27, 2016 at 7:01 pm

An elderly, now deceased priest of the Diocese of Middlesbrough, once replied to my “this is unbelievable – wait till you hear this…” with a dry: “These days, it’s only the unbelievable that IS believable.” With that truth in mind, fasten your seatbelts…

FROM THE BULLETIN OF ST MARY’S PARISH, DUNSTABLE, Sat 23rd / Sun 24th April 2016

A reader emailed me the link to the above parish bulletin to alert me to the notice about CAFOD and the continuing influence of Julian Filochowski within the Church in England.

BULLETIN NOTICE…

CAFOD Sat 7th May Sacred Heart Hall, Leighton Buzzard LU7 IH7. You are invited to an afternoon of input reflection and prayer focussing on the life of Blessed Oscar Romero. Julian Filochowski from Romero Trust, who knew blessed Oscar Romero personally, will share his experience with us and Deacon David Curtis, from Great Missenden, will lead the Reflection. The afternoon starts with a shared lunch at 12.15 and ends at 15:30. Please book with Debbie dpurfield@cafod.org.uk or ring 01844 274723. Let her know if you need transport.

I then read the following notice in the same bulletin which really did take my breath away…

ANYONE LIKE TO BECOME A CATECHIST? Would you like to help out occasionally and join our great team of Children’s Catechists. If you are aged 14 and over and would like to do something rewarding/ gain experience in the teaching of our faith to our children aged 3 and above then I would love to hear from you. It would be as little or as much time as you could give and training and support would be provided. If you are interested then please contact Tam Mckillop on 07838 171465 (text) In addition, I am also looking for a few people who may want to support with running the First Holy Communion for 2016/17 for the next few years. This is a bigger commitment – the programme runs from Oct – May annually – but as they say, many hands make light work, so the more the merrier! If you may be interested in this, again please contact Tam via txt on 07838 171465 for further information. Our current children are in their final preparation stages as they make their First Holy Communion on the 14th May – please remember these children and their families in your prayers. END.

Am I the only person on the planet who tends to think that a 14 year old today is less than capable of passing on the Catholic Faith – especially those being brought up in THIS terrible parish?

April 27, 2016 at 7:49 pm
    • Christina

Believably unbelievable! When I’d picked myself up I googled my old qualification – the Catholic Teachers’ Certificate, without which one was not allowed to catechise children. Predictably over time it has been superseded by this:

My main point is that however watered down from its predecessors this qualification has become (“The course seeks to ensure that participants have at least a basic knowledge and understanding of the beliefs of the Catholic Faith”), it remains a requirement for catechists. Perhaps the PP should be reminded of this before his 14 year olds are let loose.

But apart from this, I was disturbed to read that this current ‘Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies’ requires only ‘a basic knowledge and understanding of the beliefs of the Catholic faith’. WOW! We used to have more than that if we left school at 16 with the ‘School Religious Certificate’, never mind the quite detailed knowledge of the truths of the faith that the Catholic Teachers’ Certificate required.

What a shambles.

April 27, 2016 at 9:32 pm
  • Elizabeth

Well the successful applicants would have something to put on their ‘Uni’ personal statement. And they could always lend a hand with the children’s liturgy too, extra help with the colouring in and the glueing and sticking and cutting out is always needed isn’t it?

April 27, 2016 at 8:40 pm
    • Elizabeth

And what were we just saying about the ‘simple laity’ not being adequately catechised? Is it any wonder if this is how young children are prepared for the reception of Holy Communion? One could weep!

April 27, 2016 at 8:44 pm
  • Pat McKay

I understand that CAFOD’s ‘across the pond’ equivalent also had a sodomite as their director.

Considering that only some 2% of the population are of that persuasion, it would appear that these b#ggers are being hand-picked by the Church mafia – to overturn Her traditional teachings on homosexuality.

April 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm
  • westminsterfly

Pat McKay
    If you haven’t already read it, read this about CAFOD:- http://www.christianorder.com/editorials/editorials_2005/editorials_jan05.html
    There are truly Catholic aid organisations that one can donate to, covering any of the corporal or spiritual works of mercy. Why bother with CAFOD.

April 27, 2016 at 10:20 pm
    • Pat McKay

Yes, I did indeed read it at time of publication. I’m even mentioned by name in it.

April 28, 2016 at 9:30 am
  • Helen

Editor, my 2 cousins want to come to the Conference on 18 June but one of them doesn’t get his work rota until 2 days before it starts. As a result they are reluctant to book in case they can’t come. Can they pay at the door on the day if there are any places left?

April 28, 2016 at 10:48 am

Sorry, Helen. I’m afraid they’ll need to sacrifice the cost of the ticket(s) because we strictly enforce the rule – which is well advertised in advance – of no entry at the door on the day. I’m frankly astonished at the reluctance of people to cough up a tenner to secure a place at a conference such as this, but that’s me. I’d sooner sacrifice £10 than risk missing the event.

In any case, surely if they notify their employers so far in advance, they can make sure the rota works in their favour? Just sayin’!

I’ll take this opportunity to remind folks – since I’m getting emails asking about payment – that if you email me I will give you our bank details so that you can transfer via the internet, rather than sending a cheque, as that will save you a trip to the post-box, not to mention, a stamp!

April 28, 2016 at 1:14 pm
  • Spero

Fr Z has made a podcast on his blog. He reads Bishop Schneider’s full response to the Papal Exhortation.
    Maybe it makes for better assimilation for some people and it can be heard while doing other things.
    I’m going to listen to it later on.

April 28, 2016 at 12:46 pm
  • WENDY WALKER

Quite a few years ago now but this is an interesting read regarding Filochowski

April 28, 2016 at 1:14 pm
  • WENDY WALKER

It is tragic that Holy Beautiful Walsingham in Norfolk continually support CAFOD despite many letters /complaints over the years fro mthe mists of time I did recieve a very curt reply despite the sexual scandal of Prendergast /Filochowski raging as do man yChurches some Priests ??will hear nothing wrong of them

April 28, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Wendy,

CAFOD is rotten to the core and any Catholic who knowingly donates to them is objectively committing a very grave sin. The Church teaches that there are nine ways of sharing in the guilt of the sin of others:

1. by counsel
      2. by command
      3. by consent
      4. by provocation
      5. by praise or flattery
      6. by concealment
      7. by partaking
      8. by silence
      9. by the defence of the ill done

So, there are several ways in which anyone who donates money to CAFOD knowing that they are in direct opposition to the teaching of Christ and His Church may share in their guilt. We surely partake of their sin when we give them money to continue that sin, and we implicitly condone/defend that sin.

I would also consider that concealment involves not alerting others to CAFOD’s double-dealing, so that others may innocently donate without realising the truth about this group.

April 28, 2016 at 1:29 pm
  • WENDY WALKER

An excellent but long article on so called Charitys including the CAFOD/Condoms scandal

April 28, 2016 at 1:25 pm
  • WENDY WALKER

The question stands WAS O Romero a homosexual ???

Thank you sincerley for a brilliant reply as always

April 28, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Wendy,

That link is to the New Ways Ministry bunch, a group of militant LGBT activists, so they are not to be trusted on anything. They’d love to claim Archbishop Romero as one of their own, but, although I don’t know all that much about him, I think we’d all know about that if there were even a grain of truth in it. It’s really a case of, well, they WOULD say that, wouldn’t they?

April 28, 2016 at 4:50 pm
  • WENDY WALKER April 28, 2016 at 7:07 pm
    • Christina

Just lately I’m reminded of those shooting galleries in fairgrounds where figures are made to pop up only to be shot down, as one Catholic teaching after another is ‘popped up’. Now it’s the turn of the Catholic doctrine of Just War. Nice timing when ISIS is showing how open it is to cooperate with “efforts to develop alternative capacities and tools for conflict to be overcome and transformed.”

April 28, 2016 at 9:36 pm
      • Nicky

Christina,

I saw that idea floated around about doing away with the just war theory. So that means if we are invaded by malign foreign forces we just roll over and say “punch the other cheek”? What are these guys on?

April 29, 2016 at 10:56 am

Wendy, that is really interesting but worrying, too, because it seems to be only ITV that is reporting this. You’d think it should be all over the news on every channel and newspaper. It makes you wonder what else we’re not being told.

April 29, 2016 at 10:51 am

Since we’re almost at the 600 comments mark, this thread is now closed. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

Click here to reach the latest General Discussion thread.

April 29, 2016 at 11:28 am