RCA Victor: Belated Happy Birthday!

RCA Victor: Belated Happy Birthday!

RCA Victor, our resident blogger from the USA, celebrated his 65th birthday on March 4th.  Or, rather, he didn’t celebrate it, having been ill for two weeks before, and since.  Poor thing. Add to that, the fact that I forgot to send my promised celebratory email, and poor RCA Victor has been having a terrible time, not only coming to terms with his advancing years, but with the fact that Scotland forgot to mark this latest advance.

To make up for my negligence, therefore, I promised to launch a Happy Birthday thread – not to start a new tradition or we’d have no time for discussing anything but how to cope with old(er) age, but since we’re having a quiet few days before the start of Holy Week, we can afford to spend a bit of time reassuring RCA Victor that birthdays are not all bad – just think of the alternative!

Click on the image to learn about Blessed John Ingram
Click on the image to learn about
Blessed John Ingram

We also discussed whether RCA Victor ought to divulge his real identity, and if so, I would publish his photo.  RCA Victor suggested the image of Blessed John Ingram instead – can you guess why?

So, again, just a bit of fun with this thread – wishing RCA Victor a very happy – if belated – birthday.  After all, about the only thing that comes to “him who waits” – is old age – but RCA Victor is determined to go down fighting…

Any advice you would like to offer RCA Victor will be welcomed by him. I simply want to reassure him that growing old is not all bad.  Just think of the reporter who asked  a 104-year-old woman what is the best thing about being 104, to which she replied: “no peer pressure”.   For myself, all I can say is that the only difference I notice is that my memory is not so good. Also, my memory is not so good…

Many happy returns, RCA Victor!

Happy birthday, RCA Victor!

I can never remember jokes but I do know that birthdays are the only thing that go up and never down – LOL!

Sorry you’ve been not well. I hope that you are back to full health very soon.

March 16, 2016 at 9:26 am

I forgot to guess about the image and RCA Victor’s real name. It wouldn’t be John Ingram, by any chance? Is that too obvious?

March 16, 2016 at 9:27 am
    • Nicky

I don’t think it’s “too” obvious – I think John Ingram has to be his real name (without the “Blessed” I presume!)

March 16, 2016 at 10:52 am
      • Michaela

Why without the “Blessed”? LOL!

March 18, 2016 at 12:39 am

Happy 65th birthday, RCA Victor – you’re going to need a huge cake for all your candles. With 65 candles this year, it’s best if you use fake LED candles so you don’t pollute the air and cause global warming.

LOL!

March 16, 2016 at 9:43 am
  • Nicky

Happy birthday RCA Victor and many happy returns!

March 16, 2016 at 10:51 am
  • catholicconvert1

I wish you a belated happy birthday RCA Victor, and I pray that Our Lord and Our Lady will grant you a long life and both perfect health of mind and body. I’m sure you don’t look 65 and as Jeanne Calment, who lived to 122 said, “I’ve never had but one wrinkle, and I’m sitting on it.”

March 16, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Happy Birthday RCA Victor! Have a lovely day and I hope you are feeling better too!

March 16, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Happy birthday RCA Victor – hope it was a good one. The best advice I can offer (being so much younger than you – hey, 4 months is a long time) is the anonymous quote “old age isn’t so bad when you consider the alternative”.

March 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm
  • Fr Arthur

Happy Birthday RCA Victor. I am assuming Easter has come early too!

March 16, 2016 at 4:54 pm
  • Spiritus

Happy birthday RCA Victor. Your posts are always very refreshing to read.

March 16, 2016 at 6:02 pm
  • Theresa Rose

Wishing you a happy birthday RCA Victor, belated though it may be. Hoping you are feeling much better. You cannot be 65, a youthful chap like you.

March 16, 2016 at 7:07 pm
  • Gerontius

A very happy birthday to our beloved brother RCA VICTOR from your CTS family across the pond

March 16, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Just to let you all know that RCA Victor emailed to say that this thread has made his day. Hopefully, he’ll be well enough to come on to thank you all himself, before it is closed down. He’s delighted that we marked his birthday, albeit a bit late, so thanks to everyone for offering birthday greetings.

March 16, 2016 at 10:55 pm
  • Frankier

A belated happy birthday Victor.

Try working out my age. I am the same age as you although that doesn’t count the years I was at school. I am the youngest of ten of a family who were all born before me. My mother and father were married a long time before I was born. I still have my own teeth: the set I was left by my great grannie didn’t fit: too sharp and too large and my birthdays, for some strange reason, are always exactly twelve months apart. As my mother, God rest her, used to say, I am the same age as my fingers but a wee bit older than my teeth.

So what do by ou think?

March 17, 2016 at 2:15 pm
    • RCA Victor

Frankier,

How about Jeremias 1:5?

March 17, 2016 at 3:04 pm
      • Frankier

Victor

I’ll need to look that up. It’s the only one I don’t know off by heart.

March 17, 2016 at 11:39 pm
    • Michaela

Frankier,

I’ve no idea but am dying to find out! Please don’t leave us in suspense! What’s the answer?

March 18, 2016 at 12:38 am
      • Frankier

Michaela

A lady should never ask a gentleman his age, or is it the other way around?

It`s one of those conundrums that doesn`t have an answer.

I`m still trying to work out the age of my fingers. They look like parsnips
        but they don`t have the annular rings like trees.

March 18, 2016 at 7:59 pm
      • Michaela

Frankier,

LOL! It’s the other way round, but never mind!

I’m glad it was a conundrum as I thought my arithmetic was really rubbish when I couldn’t work it out! LOL!

March 18, 2016 at 9:53 pm
  • RCA Victor

Thank you very much, folks, for all the kind greetings! Now that Our Lord has reminded me of my mortality, He’s also reminded me of what wonderful Catholics there are on this blog!

March 17, 2016 at 3:02 pm

If that’s your way of angling for us to take up a collection, forget about the birthday cheque/check in the post. Cue for a “mean Scotsman” story…

I mean, as an American, you must know that the Grand Canyon was started by a Scotsman who lost a coin in a ditch… 😀

March 17, 2016 at 4:12 pm
      • RCA Victor

I did wonder what that rubber rectangle was that I received from Scotland!

March 17, 2016 at 11:16 pm
  • Michaela

A very happy birthday to you, RCA Victor. With many to follow!

March 18, 2016 at 12:37 am

RCA Victor

Apologies for coming late to the party, They don’t call me the late Athanasius for nothing!

Many happy returns on your birthday RCA Victor. I hope your username doesn’t reflect your age? Of course it could be worse, you might have called yourself His Masters Voice! It’s a terrible state of affairs when you have to remove the recording trumpet from your gramaphone to stick in your ear as a hearing aid! Still, I assume you feel more 33 or 45 than 78, if you catch my drift!

March 19, 2016 at 1:04 am
    • RCA Victor

Thanks – I must say the old frame has been slowing down lately. In fact, when I went to Mexico on vacation recently, I got a bad case of the walks!

March 19, 2016 at 1:59 pm

RCA Victor

Oh dear! A bad case of the walks sounds fatal. The answer to that is travel with huggies in future!

March 19, 2016 at 9:47 pm

“It’s a terrible state of affairs when you have to remove the recording trumpet from your gramaphone to stick in your ear as a hearing aid! ”

Hilarious! Cruel, but hilarious!

March 19, 2016 at 3:50 pm

And let’s not forget ‘practical’!

March 19, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Practical, Athanasius? Well you won’t find anything more practical than this photo of RCA Victor and my unworthy self in conversation – me, I’m not proud…

Reminder

Blog now closed. Talk to you all at Easter.

A peaceful Holy Week to one and all.

March 19, 2016 at 11:25 pm