General Discussion (12)

General Discussion (12)

If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to  make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you. However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment, as the GD discussion threads fills up very quickly.  Readers, all too often, go straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes – at the very least check the side-bar – before posting here, please and thank you!

group-discussion-tips

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions.Whatever.   Enjoy!

To read previous 10 General Discussion Threads, click on the links listed below.
(1) click here  (2) click here  (3) click here  (4) click here  (5) click here
(6) click here
(7) click here  (8) click here (9) click here (10) click here
(11) click here

• Helen

Can anyone help with the following question: I hear that a prophecy said that the sanctuary light would be extinguished in the end times. I have read the book of Daniel but cannot see that direct prophecy about the light. Was it an apparition where I heard it, I wonder? Something like: ” …and someone will ask where is He, like Mary Magdalene”?

October 23, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Helen

I think you are referring to the prophecy of Pope Pius XII:

“From the perspective of Fatima what occurred during and after the Second Vatican Council should have been no surprise. Indeed, Pope Pius XII had predicted it with eerie prophetic accuracy, in light of the Message of Fatima:

“I am worried by the Blessed Virgin’s messages to Lucy of Fatima. This persistence of Mary about the dangers which menace the Church is a divine warning against the suicide of altering the Faith and Her liturgy. A day will come when the civilized world will deny its God, when the Church will doubt as Peter doubted.She will be tempted to believe that man has become God … In our churches, Christians will search in vain for the red lamp where God awaits them. Like Mary Magdalen, weeping before the empty tomb, they will ask ‘Where have they taken Him'” 18

Surely “the Virgin’s Messages to Lucy of Fatima” had figured in Pius XII’s decision not to proceed with his own plans for an ecumenical council. Indeed, the Pope’s own emissaries, including Cardinal Ottaviani, had interrogated Sister Lucy in 1955, before plans for a council were scrapped. Had she told them of the Third Secret? Perhaps, too, His Holiness was mindful of the famous advice of the great Cardinal Manning (quoting Cardinal Pallavicini) that “to convoke a General Council, except when absolutely necessary, is to tempt God.” Click here for source

October 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
      • Helen

Thank you, Editor. I do believe that is the reference.

October 23, 2016 at 10:18 pm
  • Liam jenkinson

Dear All
    Here is a letter I have recently sent to the guardian following a recent article about a boy being treated as a girl. Please see link below for full article.

“Dear Editor

Your report on the ‘boy living entirely as a girl’ and the high court judgement of the family division in London was very important in the context of an identical case in the Hallam diocese where with the agreement of the Bishop, Vicar General and Mgr.Ryan an 8 year old boy has been authorised to come to St Bede’s R.C Primary School dressed as a girl, to be called by a girls name, and to be treated in all respects as a girls by all staff and pupils of 3-11 years of age.

This information is already public knowledge having been brought to my attention by a very concerned Priest. Several other Priests are deeply disturbed by these events. I have sent additional details to you by post on this and related issues.

I have raised the issue with the Bishop, Vicar General, CDF and latterly the Pope asking for his personal intervention.

Some months ago I confirmed with the Head of the legal department of Rotherham Borough Council, Dermot Pearson, that when this unfortunate boy eventually realises he is indeed a boy I will bring a case for damages and compensation against the council, and in particular its social workers and social services department, on the boy’s behalf for the serious emotional and psychological damage done to this child by this process. I have today sent a copy of your very important article to Mr Pearson asking for an immediate review of the case based upon this high court judgement. I will also bring a similar case for damages and compensation against the Diocese of Hallam, the Bishop, Vicar General, Mgr.Ryan and the Headteacher and governors of the school involved. I will also invoke Church Law to get whatever censures, sanctions and penalties are due to these clerics involved for what they know are predetermined, pre-planned flagrant transgressions of church law on issues upon which the church’s teaching is specific and clear from both Pope Benedict and Pope Francis.

The way the case has been handled is unfortunately typical of the way many other issues in the diocese (see enclosures sent to you by post) are dealt with. With what at times seem hidden agendas and a style of covert manipulation of events on these and other issues it seems that Messers Ryan and Sexton effectively run the Diocese forgetting that they are but servants of the servants of God and should have a management style which is open, honest and transparent. Another example of the current process is clearly manifested in the way they intend to curtail sacramental life by only bringing in sufficient priests to maintain their own model for the diocese and its future pastoral care. A future where there will never be enough priests because they refuse to bring in priests from abroad so they can engineer a contrived shortage of clergy when there are many priests ready, willing and able to come to the UK (again see enclosures sent by post) from abroad.

Catholics are called to hate the sin and love the sinner and this is the spirit of my actions as well as acknowledging that these clerics are nice men who unfortunately and very sincerely get things wrong on this and other issues.

Yours sincerely
    Mr Liam Jenkinson M.C.I.P.D”

Love and prayers
    Liam

October 24, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Liam,

Brilliant – it’s just a pity that you moved on from the issue of transgenderism to other issues relating to the diocese – the Guardian are not interested in those and are more likely to publish letters which are concise and stick to the key issue. Still, let’s hope and pray they at least edit it to include your entire response to their article which is, as I say, absolutely brilliant.

God bless

PS I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve paragraphed your letter to make it a little easier for readers to digest.

October 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm
  • Gerontius

Have you ever thought about what the image of the beast, recorded in the Apocalypse of St. John could be?

[14] And he seduced them that dwell on the earth, for the signs, which were given him to do in the sight of the beast, saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make the image of the beast, which had the wound by the sword, and lived. [15] And it was given him to give life to the image of the beast, and that the image of the beast should speak; and should cause, that whosoever will not adore the image of the beast, should be slain. Apoc. 13:14-15

Only time will tell of course, but for contemporary society here are two interesting, thought provoking possibilities worth “keeping an eye on”

(1) Human Cloning and…..

(2) Android Artificial Intelligence. (in science fiction) a robot with a human appearance.

Have a look at this Video up until 7 minutes 17 seconds. This is what is available for public viewing – who knows what the Military have……

October 24, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Read this amazing report … due to the doom and gloom diagnosis prior to the baby’s birth, the parents actually planned his funeral before he was born!

So much for the infallibility of doctors!

October 26, 2016 at 10:56 pm
  • Pat McKay

St. Etheldreda’s – the oldest Catholic church in England. Website worth a visit, as is the church itself. Have a listen to the choir’s Agnus Dei.

October 28, 2016 at 9:55 am
  • RCA Victor

I’ve just purchased In the Murky Waters of Vatican II, by Attila S. Guimaraes. In view of our previous discussion about the Fatima and the TFP, of which Senior Guimaraes was a member when he published this book (but was later expelled), I found this footnote in the “General Information” introduction to be intriguing, to say the least:

“Since the death of Prof. Plinio in 1995 the new leadership of TFP has abandoned its glorious fight against Progressivism. To this date, 2008, no significant action against this force has been developed by any of the TFPs then existing: a practical surrender to the enemy.

In this spirit, it came as no surprise that, when the first American edition of In the Murky Waters was published in 1997, the Directors of the Brazilian TFP, afraid of possible progressivist counter-attacks for having a TFP member publicly analyzing Vatican II, sent an ultimatum to the Author to suspend its dissemination, or he would be expelled from the TFP. The Author did not suspend it. He was expelled from the organization in 1998, and moved to the U.S. Ironically, some time later, the TFP split over internal issues causing it more harm than any external attack. Today both sides compete for the favors of the progressivist high and low clergy, which they used to combat.

In this edition, the Author did not make any essential changes to the original text as a homage to the ideals TFP represented, which he continues to defend.”

This edition also features a special forward by Fr. Malachi Martin, from 1997, in which he claims, rather surprisingly, that this book may well replace Iota Unum as the definitive critique (“source book”) of VII.

As Editor likes to quote us Yanks, “WOW!”

October 31, 2016 at 12:51 am
  • RCA Victor

Correction on the Malachi Martin quote: he was referring to the entire 11-volume set written by Guimaraes entitled Eli, eli, lamma sabacthani?, not just the Murky Waters book, which is Vol. I.

October 31, 2016 at 3:10 am

I’ve had that book (Murky Waters) for years but never really read it through.

Coincidentally, reference the TFP, I stumbled across this article on the Fatima.org website yesterday, which shows the deviousness of the America Needs Fatima group (linked to TFP) in apparently seeking to give the impression that they are part of Fr Gruner’s group. A tad dishonest, in my humble opinion.

October 31, 2016 at 9:07 am
  • Helen

I have a question which bloggers might like to help me with:
    31st October is Halloween (eve of All Saints); the 1st November is All Saints and 2nd November is All Souls.

Now, why is the 31st, Halloween, the night of the so called festivities (or should I say depravities) as the Saints are already in heaven and not wandering about?
    Why not the eve of All Souls as they are not in Heaven and perhaps some evil spirits are about.

I hope all this makes sense! My granny was saying that in the west of Ireland (Mayo to be exact) when she was young, the locals used to put furze bushes outside their front doors to ward off evil spirits. That was on Halloween.

October 31, 2016 at 11:38 am
  • Nora Day

Helen, the three days of Halloween, All Saints and All Souls are to commemorate the dead, commemorate and pray to the saints in Heaven, and finally to pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. It’s really got nothing to do with the so-called festivities. Thus we have three very Catholic days of prayer. Halloween is connected to satanic cults and witchcraft but why should we go along with that? Ignore them all!

October 31, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Nora Day,

Some people don’t go along with it. There’s one parish in Glasgow, Immaculate Heart of Mary in Balornock, where they have instituted (for around 12 years now) an Angels and Saints party for Hallowe’en where the children dress up as their favourite saint or an angel, and after a short service in the church – litany of the saints and a hymn, they process into the church hall for a lovely party.

Some of my nieces/great nieces and nephews went along last year and they absolutely loved it. They are going along this evening for this year’s event and I’m sure they will have a terrific time. I’ve just had a call from one of my great-nephews telling me who his chosen saint is this year and telling me what he is going to say – the children are asked to say a sentence or two about their chosen saint. What an imaginative way to get the young people to read up on the lives of the saints!

The PP is to be commended for his zeal in thinking through how to encourage young people to learn about the Faith – without suggesting that they “learn from the Protestants” (aka Paisley Diocesan Charter!)

October 31, 2016 at 5:52 pm
  • Lionel

À tous et à toutes, bonne fête de tous les Saints et particulièrement ceux qui vous sont proches!…

October 31, 2016 at 11:44 pm

And the same to you, Lionel – all the very best for the Feast of All Saints!

November 1, 2016 at 12:43 am
      • Lionel

Thank you very much!

November 1, 2016 at 11:06 pm
  • Liam jenkinson

Dear All
    Here is the latest letter I sent to a priest in the Hallam diocese.
    Knowing where my own sphere of competence ended in another scenario I sought the guidance of a foremost professor of child psychiatry. Like you I went on about how a particular scenario impacted on everyone else. He stopped me in my tracks by saying ‘Liam you must always start out in these cases and continue throughout to see things from the perspective of the victims’.This email will be all about victims. I would not presume to send your replies to me to your fellow clergy but my response to your comments for obvious reasons has gone to them. First of all my thanks for your response were genuine and sincere since even though we disagree you at least had the guts to respond. Unfortunately a culture and climate has developed in the diocese where priests and people have learned to keep their heads down mistaking moral cowardice for prudence. St Mathews gospel chXV111 vs 6-9 apply in this case and other issues raised. A priest has re-affirmed to me that what has been done to this child is the work of the devil. My response to your other issues is as follows. The other victims suffering in my comments were those holy innocents killed through the use of abortifacients resulting from hierarchical and priestly silence and acts of omission on the subject. As the learned professor taught me these are truly victims in every sense of the word. The same percentage of couples in the catholic church use abortifacients as in the population at large. Another evil work of the devil unchallenged and endorsed by silence and omission for the most part by the hierarchy and clergy. Other real victims in the diocese are those affected by the reduction in masses and sacramental provision generally. The second Vatican council stated that Eucharist was the church’s entire spiritual wealth. Pope Francis has emphasized the need for open and honest dialogue and that priests should learn to smell the sheep. By the system described in my original letter this process of open and honest in this diocese on this and other issues has been suppressed. A clear example of this is contained in the minutes of meetings held at St Thomas Moore and St Patricks Church concerning the amalgamation of the parishes and reduction in the number of masses and also in the minutes of several meetings held in the Rotherham deanery on the same issues. I repeat again my concerns at the covert manipulation of events and dictatorial style used in these issues. In Wickersly and Maltby parishes following some comments from a parishioner to the vicar general the parish priest banned me from putting out pro life literature and details of church teaching and papal pronouncements from pope Francis and Pope Benedict on transgenderism. At St Bede’s church 8 years ago we buried twin grandchildren born prematurely after they had made a spirited fight fort their lives. We watched them die slowly and I talked to staff about the fact they had made such efforts to save these children’s lives whilst in the next ward they were killing babies of the same age and above. I said I couldn’t understand how good people could do such evil things. A senior nurse commented to me ‘you wouldn’t believe some of the things we have to do in here’. This heightened my awareness of the churches role in defending human life and on the day of burial of the twins I asked the parish priest at St Bede’s if I could put up guidelines for priests from the Vatican on the issue of abortifacient use on the notice board in church. He said no and so I asked him why. There is too much stuff up already he said. Checking the notice board proved his statement to be untrue and the ban remains to this day. In St Peter in chains church in Doncaster I put out an excellent publication from Handsworth St Josephs parish on confession and examination of conscience which contained a reference to contraception an item not covered in St Peters own guidelines (in Lourdes itself no reference is made in their guidelines for confession to contraception etc.). No doubt because he had watched me on CCTV the parish priest came out and what can only be described as a dramatic somewhat theatrical mode swept up all St Josephs publications no doubt destined for the bin. I asked him why his own guidelines didn’t mention contraception and when was he going to give his first sermon on abortifacients etc.. He said to me ‘in this parish we try to give people a lift’ whatever that was supposed to mean. Going back to St Patricks etc. and the Rotherham deanery and mass and sacramental provision generally in the early church some priests said up to 9 masses a day. In Doncaster in medieval times masses were said every half hour all day long. Again to comment on the victimisation of the Eucharist and the culture which has developed we need to remember the comments of the priest comparing the celebration of the Eucharist to a microwave meal and the parish priest of St Thomas Moore’s saying in the meeting referred to above that saying 2 masses in 2 hours was like having 2 quiz nights and fish & chip suppers in succession in 2 hours. Pope Paul V1 stated that the smoke of Satan had entered the church and all these issues manifest this. This whole process of defective Eucharistic dialogue and victimisation of the holy Eucharist makes the ultimate victim on the cross a hapless victim of our trivialising and debasing his sacrifice by likening it to a microwave meal or a fish & chip supper and quiz night etc. etc. Again this is the work of the devil. Christ didn’t say come and sit in silence in front of my real presence in the Eucharist and then say a few prayers (a priest less liturgy) he said take this and eat it and take this and drink it its my real body and blood. Such denial of the mass to the flock by removal or rationing is a disgrace and another work of the devil and further makes Christ a total and unjust victim of our sloth. Denial of the availability of confession and inadequate catechesis on it also makes Christ a further unjust hapless victim because of the number of people who go to communion in a state of serious sin most notably in our time by killing their child through the use of abortifacients while the church remains silent. In my own sphere of competence as a disablement resettlement officer, employment exchange manager, director of a training agency helping the unemployed and personnel manager with organisational analysis, effectiveness design and development and individual performance appraisal and development I conclude as follows. With this unfortunate child at St Bede’s no one in the church locally has followed church teaching. In my career I have learned the importance of the informal as well as the formal process education and development where maturation and intellectual and spiritual development and formation are rarely in synchronisation thus people generally and children in particular through a wide variety of experiences can get an erroneous warped and sometimes evil perception of reality. The impact on this unfortunate boy by these events is certainly relevant to the common good and the restoration of best practise and needs publicity. The damage done to this unfortunate boys emotional and psychological development and that of his peers and their families from their school is appalling. One child at the school said to his mother who knew nothing about the situation and I quote ‘you see that girl mum she’s not a girl at all. she’s a boy dressed as girl’. Truly ‘out of the mouths of babes’ but a dreadful example again of Mathews gospel chpt XV111 vs 6-9 where the church has authorised the violation of this and other holy innocents consciences. Whilst Pope Francis says we need bishops and priests who smell the sheep he himself needs to smell the shepherds and their helpers because from where I am sitting at the moment for the most part it is not a pleasant smell.
    St John Fisher said ‘for 40 years we have had open iniquity and feigned sanctity’. St Alphonsus Liguori said ‘a soul can do nothing that is more pleasing to God than to communicate in a state of grace’.
    St Pius X said ‘holy communion is the shortest and the safest way to heaven. There are others:
    Innocence for instance, but that is for little children.
    Penance, but we are afraid of it.
    Generous endurance of the trials of life but when they come we weep and ask to be spared.
    THE SUREST, EASIEST SHORTEST WAY IS BY THE EUCHARIST’.

Whilst under the guidance of his confessor and spiritual director, a highly qualified deeply spiritual and senior priest and academic, Matt Talbot the giant of Irish lay spirituality on one Sunday went to 21 masses. He combined his deep spirituality in addition with daily mass and regular confession as well as a tough job in a timber yard and an underlying heart condition. We have priests who see themselves as victims if they are asked to follow church teaching where there is a pastoral need and say 2-3 masses on a Sunday – a unique privilege and honour rather than an issue of victimhood.

The penny catechism states there are 9 ways to share in the guilt of another’s sin one of which is silence. The 4 sins crying to heaven for vengeance are self explanatory as are the 4 last things. One prominent prolife priest stated ‘sometimes silence is golden but sometimes its yellow’. Dealing with the casualties of life in the employment exchange taught me repeatedly that unchallenged negative and sometimes evil early life experiences often wrecked peoples subsequent lives. I for one am not prepared to leave this child at St Bede’s to continue to be affected in this way. I have taken the action I have taken after much prayer and consideration and under the strict guidance of my confessors and spiritual directors and the process will continue. Thank you again for responding to these issues.

Love and Prayers,

Liam Jenkinson

November 1, 2016 at 5:51 pm
  • Helen

This is what we should be professing. Listen especially to the end piece. Inspirational.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1j3ldMpItM&w=1280&h=720%5D

November 2, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Look at this inglorious incident, supposedly involving a practicing Catholic man. Words fail me:

November 3, 2016 at 3:29 pm
    • Spiritus

that’s what drink does to you Gabriel. I am led to believe that it is a drug so powerful that it can remove all of a person’s inhibitions and cause him or her to behave in a way wholly or largely governed by the passions. That is why alcoholics need all the help that they can get to overcome their terrible addiction and heal the root cause of whatever caused them to turn to alcohol or drugs in the first place.

It is very sad that we now live in a society where absolute perfection is demanded of everyone. We have very many broken homes, addiction, suicide and broken people. The wholesale loss of the Faith means that people are not prepared for disappointment and loss anymore; they expect everything to be perfectly blissful all of the time. If only the powers that be would listen to God and the Church we would have a very different world. Even acts of charity (feed the hungry, visit the sick, shelter the homeless, etc) are viewed with suspicion. do you have to be vetted by police if, for example you wanted to volunteer at a nursing home/hospital or you wanted to work with young people? It is the case in Ireland. There was a guy who set up some soup kitchens to feed those who would be living rough and would not be able to afford to eat. Guess what? Some do-gooders, probably “good Catholics” complained to the authorities, and the soup kitchens were closed down for lack of planning permission, or on health grounds or some other such nonsense. They were called “twist” after Oliver Twist.

November 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Gabriel Syme

“He was approached by two of the nuns who told him he was on private property and asked him to leave.”

Carmelite nuns are not supposed to leave the enclosure – unless they have two extern Sisters at Kirkintilloch, which I doubt, then those two were strictly enclosed.

I’ve know of situations where Carmelites were forced to call the police – indeed, one hilarious situation where a thug threw a brick at a window which was single-glazed only, and the brick broke! The police told the Prioress not to rely on such obviously divine help in future, but to get some double-glazing installed asap! The point is, those Sisters should have called the police and not broken their Rule – apart from anything else, they could both have been seriously hurt if not worse.

November 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm
  • Liam Jenkinson

After double solicitation I finally got confirmation from Father Craig Fitzpatrick that the action to be taken against Hallam Diocese and other bodies will be dealt with by the Liverpool Metropolitan Tribunal.

In his recent High Court ruling on an identical case Mr Justice Hayden criticised a range of people for not reacting to warnings after intervention by other parties.

In the Hallam case in June of 2016 I sent copies of my submission to the C.D.F to the following (some of who received it from a third party) asking for intervention. No action was taken by any of them indeed not one of them even acknowledged receipt of the submission that was made. The list is as follows: Cardinal Vincent Nicholls, The Bishops Conference of England & Wales, The Bishop of Hallam, The VG of Hallam, Mgr. Ryan, The head teacher and governor of St Bede’s RC School and the safeguarding and child protection agencies of Hallam diocese.

I will bring the case to the Liverpool Metropolitan Tribunal against all those listed above as well as the C.D.F itself for their failure to take any action or respond in any way whilst this child suffered continually from what has been described to me as institutionalised child abuse.

In addition to the list above I will add Rotherham Borough Council and their social services department and social workers to the following course of action to be taken. I will advise any parents at St Bede’s RC School and Wath Pope Pius X School and parents in any other school where such situations arise to take secular legal action for the corruption and emotional and psychological damage caused by their children’s exposure to the scenario identical to the court case dealt with by Justice Hayden.

I have worked closely with a highly effective solicitor in the past. In one case the beneficiaries of a person killed in car accident after a barrister had been appointed and advised us was to have their compensation halved because there was no continuing care component. I told my solicitor colleague that such a proposal whilst it might be legal was not moral or natural justice. I asked the solicitor to appoint me to tackle the opposition. To cut a long story short instead of half the compensation the well deserving and needy beneficiaries received a settlement which was instead of half that proposed the full amount plus £2000. The settlement was a very substantial one. I have given an initial briefing to this same solicitor of these particular potential cases. A no win no fee basis would normally be the case for claimants. I have also identified orthodox priests who will act as expert witnesses to testify that what has been done to these children and their peers is not at all in accordance with church teaching emanating from the authority of two Popes. Finally I state clearly that I will bring the same dynamism and vigour to the cases in both the ecclesiastical and secular courts to ensure primarily that church teaching is upheld and justice done generally. My services of course will be free.

Liam Jenkinson

November 4, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Liam,

I thought we’d agreed that you would email the above facts to me for posting as a separate discussion, as topics can be over-taken or missed on this thread, but I bow to your decision to comment here.

In any event, please keep us informed about this “transgender” child in Hallam Diocese.

Notice:

Once again I’ve missed the 500 mark when we close the GD threads, so now will leave this open until we reach 600, at which point it will close and a fresh GD thread open.

November 5, 2016 at 10:36 am
  • Liam jenkinson

Can somebody please help me with some advice. Does the sacramental seal of confession apply to the penitent? I’m getting different advice from different orthodox priests. Thanks

November 7, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Liam,

If a lay person overhears someone else’s confession, then the seal definitely applies.

If you mean, are we forbidden from repeating what the priest says to us in confession, no, I don’t think that is right, there is no rule as such, as far as I know. However, I tend to think it is uncharitable to quote priests. Obviously anyone can claim that a priest said this or that in Confession and the priest cannot defend himself so – generally speaking – I believe it is wrong, if not sinful, to repeat what a priest says in Confession. I’ve always refused to publish alleged remarks of priests in Confession, no matter how trustworthy the source. My advice is simply to suggest to fellow Catholics that Father is not a sound priest, “in my experience” and suggest they avoid using him as a confessor, but no more than that. Obviously, if the priest is giving advice contradictory to Catholic teaching, then the penitent, apart from the above warning action, I would say, ought to express displeasure to the priest concerned and if that doesn’t work, contact the bishop. The responsibility then lies with the bishop not with the individual penitent.

November 8, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I do not think there is a live thread on the SSPX at present, so posting this here:

I asked the bishop if he had good news to share about the status of the personal prelature rumored to be on offer in Rome in order to integrate the Society fully and permanently into the life of the universal Church. The bishop described the current arrangements as “almost ready” and one of “fine tuning”, his demeanor and expression exuding confidence and serenity.

That is encouraging, though the article does say that it appears +Fellay is prepared to wait, if necessary.

As the Year of Mercy expires on the 20th of this month, I had been expecting some announcement around about then.

November 7, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Gabriel Syme,

Maybe that explains why Bishop Fellay hasn’t issued a statement about the Lutheran scandal.

November 8, 2016 at 7:31 pm
      • RCA Victor

Two of his priests did, though – one of them the District Superior of France. I’m taking his interview with several grains of salt. That prelature has been “almost ready” for over three years now, and the “fine tuning” has yet to occur….which is no surprise, actually. Given the current state of affairs in the Vatican, It would be like trying to tune a grand piano with a chain saw.

November 10, 2016 at 8:30 am
  • Helen

Does anybody know if the Pilates exercise programme is against Church teaching?

November 8, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Helen,

I’ve never heard of it.

November 8, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Helen

I found this on Google:

Search
    What is the Christian view of Pilates?

Answer: Pilates (pronounced pih-lah’-tiz) is a physical fitness system developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates (1880-1967), a German gymnast, diver and body-builder. Pilates called his method “Contrology,” because he believed his method uses the mind to control the muscles. The program focuses on the core muscles, those that surround the spine and internal organs, which help keep the body balanced and which are essential to providing support. In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine and aim to strengthen the deep torso muscles. According to Pilates instructors, the goal of the exercises is to create a fusion of mind and body, training the body so that without even engaging the mind, it will move with economy, grace, and balance. Pilates is based on certain principles to condition the entire body: proper alignment, centering, concentration, control, precision, breathing, and flowing movement.

From this description of Pilates exercises, there is nothing to alarm Christians or cause us to fear or mistrust Pilates. All Christians should be concerned with proper diet and exercise so that our bodies, which are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), are kept in as good condition as possible. All types of exercises are improved by controlled breathing, and strengthening the core muscles that support the spine, and therefore the entire body, is crucial to maintaining good health. All the Pilates principles mentioned above are commonly accepted methods of strengthening and conditioning the body.

Most Pilates programs focus entirely on the physical exercises. Some, however, attempt to incorporate aspects of Eastern religions or New Age thought: visualization, mind/spirit control, or the Taoist aspects of tai chi. These elements are usually introduced into a Pilates program by an overly zealous instructor who has himself or herself been indoctrinated into New Age philosophy and has brought it into all aspects of life, including exercise. The wise thing for a Christian who is considering Pilates to do is first talk with the instructor to determine his or her philosophical inclinations. If the instructor teaches pure Pilates, there is nothing to stop Christians from participating. But if the instructor incorporates New Age teachings, a different Pilates class should probably be sought out.

November 8, 2016 at 7:51 pm
    • RCA Victor

Therese,

That is fascinating – Pilates is very popular over here.

November 10, 2016 at 8:32 am
    • Helen

Thanks, Therese.

November 10, 2016 at 11:16 am
  • Lionel

TRUMP EST ÉLU, VICTOIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    c’est l’Amérique que j’aime.

November 9, 2016 at 9:59 am