USA: Will Donald Trump Hillary?

USA: Will Donald Trump Hillary?

animatedflagusaThe Church has established Catholic principles of voting and we  have always been exhorted to use our vote carefully, but definitely to vote.  Click here to read a very good article on this subject.

However, note the following editorial update, September 2016:

“…In the past 9 years since this article was penned by Fr. Peter Scott, the political landscape of the United States has degraded at an alarming rate. Democrats who claimed to uphold the sanctity of marriage at the time this article was written have now all but unanimously changed course. Even Republicans who, for the most part, could be counted on to provide basic Christian values, have begun to embrace these sins against nature, and many are supporting abortion under certain circumstances. It is in this current climate that we wish to explicitly clarify what Fr. Scott implied above – in a political contest or election where both / all candidates support objectively evil legislation, abstaining from the voting process, or leaving sections of a ballot blank, would be perfectly acceptable and even encouraged.

Comment:

How might an American Catholic use his/her vote in the forthcoming national Election, to avoid displeasing God?

WILL Donald Trump Hillary, or will the notoriously pro-abortion-up-to-birth Mrs Clinton trump Donald?

Is it unthinkable that any Catholic would vote for Hillary Clinton?  Indeed, is it possible for a conscientious Catholic to support either candidate?

donaldtrumphillaryclinton

• Steven C.

Cardinal Burke has spoken recently on this election and offered advice. His remarks seem to be balanced and reasonable.

The Damsel and I used this as a basis for a post we did titled “Voting as Catholics”. I post if anyone might be interested.

September 15, 2016 at 3:06 am

Steven C,

I’ve just visited Damsel of the Faith blog and posted a few comments. Thank you for sharing that very interesting post with us here.

September 15, 2016 at 8:56 am
      • Steven C.

Thank you for your reply. I think the present circumstances require us to make several important distinctions on this issue. I was thinking of writing a detailed response, but I believe Michael Matt and Chris Ferrara have already done so. I highly recommend their video, which I link to here:

September 15, 2016 at 10:21 am

Steven C,

Thank you very much for that Remnant video – it contains much food for thought, and has me re-thinking my advocacy of abstaining in this case. I look forward to the reactions of others.

Folks (well, it’s an “American” thread 😀 ) I recommend watching the video right through – it’s only around half an hour – and sharing your thoughts.

September 15, 2016 at 12:20 pm
      • Nicky

I’m quite surprised to see Michael Matt and Christopher Ferrara calling Hillary Clinton names like “witch” – doesn’t sound right, coming from supposed pillars of Catholicism.

September 15, 2016 at 4:24 pm
      • spudeater

Nicky,

When Empress Eudoxia ruled Constantinople, St.John Chrysostom called her a “Jezebel” and indeed, in the gospels, when word was brought to Our Lord that Herod wanted to kill him, His reply began, “Go and tell that fox…” so the usage of choice epithets for people of the likes of the Hildabeast has some illustrious precedents (not presidents). It’s only because those in positions of authority within the Church have become so NICE to everyone (except perhaps those against unlimited immigration and owners of diesel engines) that you very rarely hear Catholic truth(!) being spoken to Power anymore.

September 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm
    • Nicky

I found Cardinal Burke’s talk quite strange. He says “even if Catholics see problems with both candidates on various issues, they nevertheless can vote for the one who supports Catholic values the most.”

John Paul II said we could never vote for any system which allowed abortion by law, so I think it’s a minefield trying to decide which of the two would be acceptable for the Catholic vote. Neither of them is going to do away with abortion, so even if they are OK on other things, the most vulnerable people of all (in the womb) are still going to be at risk of annihilation. I think my vote goes for “abstain”.

September 15, 2016 at 4:30 pm

As the “system” can only be changed by voters, it seems like a counsel of despair to cop out and not vote when you’ve got a candidate who professes to be pro-life, and I say this as someone who has abstained from voting in this country (England) for years, because no politician in any degree of power or influence has said that they were pro-life. Trump may be lying, but we know that Hilary is aggressively pro-death.

September 15, 2016 at 6:24 pm
      • Steven C.

Mike Pence did say that if he and Trump were elected, Roe v. Wade will be sent to “the ash heap of history.” Again, this requires us to place a certain amount of trust in them, and it may be debatable whether it is warranted, but it’s still almost remarkable today to hear a politician make such a statement. A sad reflection of our times, but such is the case.

September 15, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Steven C,

At least, as you note, they’re making the right pro-life noises. Let’s hope and pray – in reverse order!

September 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Therese,

The thing is, in our system over here certainly, the individual MPs don’t, as a rule, change party policy, although now’s a very good time to join the Labour Party 😀

For years I voted pro-life, even having to grit my teeth on occasion to vote for a party I wouldn’t otherwise even think of giving my vote. Thus, in my own view, for what it is worth, unless we can find a party with a pro-life policy, or at least sufficient pro-life candidates to make change at least possible, I can’t see how we can justify voting for anyone in the UK, O me of little faith (in politicians!)

I am coming round to the view put forward in the Remnant video, however, in the matter of Donald possibly trumping Hillary and that being a good thing, but, as you say, there seems to be a good chance of Trump becoming a pro-life President and thus, being able to make real changes.

I trust the above makes some kind of sense (there’s a first time for everything!)

September 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. There’s nothing to lose, as far as I can see!

September 15, 2016 at 9:11 pm
  • RCA Victor

That’s a great meme, Editor! This election is extremely puzzling as well as disturbing. Trump is more of a populist than a Republican (though the term “Republican” has become very blurred over the last 15 years – there is no longer a clear distinction between the two major parties), and his position on LGBT issues is liberal (see: https://www.bing.com/search?q=trump%27s+position+on+gay+marriage&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR )

To make the choice even more difficult, Trump has come out with some excellent policy speeches lately, designed to preserve American sovereignty and our national identity – both of which are anathema to the NWO. And if there is one thing that is quite clear, it’s that the NWO is opposed to his candidacy.

It seems we Americans are always forced into choosing the “lesser of two evils” – which, in this case, is clearly Trump. I haven’t made up my mind whether to vote or not – and as always with these false choices, I have to wonder whether staying home on election day helps Hillary Clinton, the most corrupt and evil politician ever to set foot in Washington, and who will continue the piecemeal destruction of America set in place by Obama, at an accelerated pace.

Meanwhile, I am praying daily the “Prayer to Defeat Revolutionary Men” found in the Golden Arrow booklet, for the destruction of the Clinton campaign and of the machinations of Obama, George Soros and the NWO to destroy America. Hopefully Our Lord will make my decision easier by the time election day rolls around…

September 15, 2016 at 3:10 am

RCA Clinton,

I don’t think you should stay at home – I think “abstaining” from voting means going to the polling booth and writing a message on the voting paper to the effect that you cannot, in conscience, vote for any candidate who adheres to policies opposed to God’s law, or words to that effect. One of our readers tells me that, for years now, she has simply scrawled “Christ the King” on her voting slip. Something, anything, to indicate that you will not vote for any politician who promotes and even legalises sinful behaviour.

September 15, 2016 at 8:45 am
  • smartcatholicteacher

You can’t call yourself a Catholic if you vote for Clinton.

September 15, 2016 at 6:06 am

SmartCatholicTeacher,

I agree – but what about Trump?

September 15, 2016 at 8:57 am
  • Pat McKay

Please watch this re Clinton – and pass it on:-

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNHf1g4ivA&w=640&h=360%5D

September 15, 2016 at 9:21 am

Pat,

Wendy posted that video on another thread – thank you for posting it again here. It’s absolutely shocking and really, on its own, should rule out anyone, especially any Catholic, voting for Hillary Clinton.

September 15, 2016 at 12:22 pm
    • Nicky

That’s disgraceful. Hillary Clinton laughing at getting a rapist off – and the victim a 12 year old girl? Some lawyer. How many people would vote for her if they knew about this? If she gets to be President of the USA, it’ll just prove the power of the media to suppress information.

September 15, 2016 at 4:33 pm

That’s absolutely shocking. I’m assuming it’s true, so it is incredible that it’s not reported in the analysis of candidates that goes on day in and day out.

September 17, 2016 at 1:04 am
  • Josephine

I was taken aback watching this video claiming Mrs Clinton has Parkinson’s Disease – surely she can’t be elected President if she is really as ill as this?

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0toDN29rwU&w=1280&h=720%5D

September 15, 2016 at 1:17 pm
    • Summa

Why not? An easier puppet to control. They are after all just that: puppets.

September 15, 2016 at 1:20 pm
      • Josephine

Summa,

That’s a good point.

September 15, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I copied one that came up on Googling, and posted it for you in your comment. Hope this one will suffice.

September 15, 2016 at 2:40 pm
    • RCA Victor September 15, 2016 at 3:46 pm
  • Josephine

I give up! LOL!

September 15, 2016 at 1:21 pm
  • Laura

It seems incredible, but the two of them are neck and neck in the polls, almost

September 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Laura,

Polls are a law unto themselves. I pay no attention to them, being convinced that they’re all rigged. I mean, have YOU ever been contacted by a pollster? Me, neither.

September 15, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Those are interesting statistics Laura.

Encouraging for Trump, especially given polls usually discount the “shy tory” effect. (the phenomenon where people who vote along conservative / traditional lines don’t tend to advertise it as much as do left/liberal voters).

For me, if I was a US voter, I would vote Trump in a second. Clinton would be a disaster.

September 15, 2016 at 11:30 pm
  • cbucket

Comment removed

September 16, 2016 at 12:23 pm
  • Laura

Gabriel Syme,

Before I watched the Remnant video I wouldn’t have dreamt of voting for Trump but now he doesn’t look so bad, LOL! I most definitely wouldn’t vote for Clinton, that is for sure.

September 18, 2016 at 4:56 pm
  • Nicky

In case anyone doesn’t really understand the email scandal around Hillary Clinton, this is a useful cartoon article explaining it.

September 19, 2016 at 9:08 pm
    • Christina

Nicky, I still don’t understand it – LOL!

September 24, 2016 at 1:44 pm
      • Nicky

Christina,

LOL! I give up!

I suppose it’s almost impossible to really understand anything to do with Clinton, LOL!

September 24, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Hillary Clinton has insulted Catholics – with bells on.

Read this and if you are a Catholic intending to vote for this bigoted nut, think again.

I visited the link within the above report which leads to a petition on the subject, and I recommend other bloggers to sign as well. Click here to sign the petition “pledge”.

October 13, 2016 at 10:01 am
    • Petrus

She’s a horror and so is her terrible husband. Not that I think Trump would be a model President! How on earth out of all the people in the US did both parties end up of those loonies as a nominee?

October 20, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Petrus,

At least he’s planning appoint judges who will repeal some of the bad laws (at least that’s my understanding) and he is pro-life. Also, he says what he means, quite a novelty in a politician.

I think, too, that if you watch the Remnant video on Trump which Steven C posted above (and, now I note, the updated video he has posted below) you might see that Trump is the better choice. Mind you anyone would be better that that woman.

October 20, 2016 at 8:14 pm
      • Petrus

Yes, I agree. However, I’m sure I read that Donald has flipped his position on abortion a few times and is more of a populist rather than a pro lifer by conviction.

October 20, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Petrus,

Possibly so, but his horror when he described partial (or late) abortion seemed very genuine to me. She, on the other hand, bleated on about how difficult it was for the woman, but not a peep about the pain and horror to the child. That woman has no conscience. Absolutely devoid of conscience. How on EARTH she can sleep at night, beats me.

October 20, 2016 at 8:46 pm
      • Petrus

Yes, she’s a witch! In fact, that’s an insult to witches!

October 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm
  • Steven C.

Another, more updated video from The Remnant just released:

October 13, 2016 at 8:32 pm
  • Seeking Wisdom

Trump / Pence Nov 2016 ! My family is 100% with president Trump. And if most of the Hollywood crybabies could vacate to Canada as a result, that would be a double blessing.

October 15, 2016 at 4:08 am

Seeking Wisdom,

You are making the right choice in my opinion! Clinton would be a disaster, it is scary to think about.

What is the exact date of the US election in November?

October 20, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Gabriel Syme,

I think the date of the election is 8th November – should be 1st April !

October 20, 2016 at 9:49 pm
      • Seeking Wisdom

Tuesday November 8th – let’s pray for a victory of the Deplorables over the evil Clintons.

October 20, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Yes indeed! And hopefully, come polling day, ordinary Americans will remember Hilary’s slip as regards what she thinks of them!

October 21, 2016 at 12:32 am

I’ve not seen the news properly today although I did watch the debate, horrified at Clinton’s blatant support for partial birth abortion. I cannot believe that any Catholic who knows that she is all for abortion up to and including birth, would vote for her. How on EARTH can anyone see that as anything but the murder of an infant?

And I wonder if that will feature on any of the TV news analysis over here in the UK? I’ve only heard snippets today, and the focus has been on Trump saying he would possibly question the result of the election, and how “poised” was Hillary throughout.

That is how thick these people are. As long as a politician looks and sounds the part, they can believe anything, proffer any policies no matter how evil.

If the Catholics of America were real Catholics, she wouldn’t stand a chance.

October 20, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Indeed. Of all the things I detest about Clinton, it is her attitudes towards abortion. She said that even a child moments from birth is “not a person” and has no rights (she is, of course, simply being faithful to the perverted logic of murderers).

I always felt that to be an utterly repugnant and inhumane statement – but all the more so since being present at the birth of my daughter.

October 20, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Gabriel Syme,

Absolutely repugnant. Totally inhumane. I cannot put into print what I think about politicians who promote abortion – cruel, wicked people… well, it’s a start, I suppose…

October 20, 2016 at 9:48 pm
      • Theresa Rose

How about adding God hating individuals who are determined to crush those who stand up and fight against abortion, no matter what it takes.

October 21, 2016 at 10:50 am
  • Summa

Any abortion is abhorrent. But their is something sickeningly evil about aborting children who are so developed and can survive out of the womb.

October 20, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Summa,

To put it bluntly, these are children who are about to be born, but instead are brutally murdered.

All aborted babies are murdered, at whatever stage, but, as you point out, to murder the child when it is about to born, whether in a matter of days or hours or whatever it is, is a crime against humanity writ large.

That that woman has escaped prosecution and prison for the crimes she has allegedly committed in other respects, is bad enough. That she is actually standing on this “partial birth” abortion platform, manifestly proud of this particular crime, is just beyond the comprehension of any right thinking person.

October 20, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Whatever we think of Donald Trump he represents for the American people an opportunity to grab power and freedom back at last from the corrupt financial powerbrokers who have owned and run the White House for decades. Trump is a self-made billionaire who takes no bribes for office and therefore can’t be bought. The backlash against unbridled liberalism that he represents is so feared by the hidden powers running America (and every other country!) that they are throwing every piece of muck they can find through their media outlets in an attempt to destroy his reputation and campaign.

We saw this in Britain against UKIP, and again during the EU Referendum campaign. The good thing for Britain was that the people didn’t fall for the lies. Will the American people buy into the liberal counter-offensive? That remains to be seen.

If we look back at other elections in Europe in recent history we can see how the Communist network operates. We saw it in Austria when the combined voice of other European governments, together with mass orchestrated rallies in various countries, overthrew the democratic election of a sovereign nation. Georg Haider, regardless of who or what he was, was chosen by the people of Austria and then had to step down under massive outside pressure. The same thing happened in France when Jean Marie Le Pen suddenly surged in the elections and looked like winning. Once more the liberal forces of Europe were unleashed against him and his popularity wained.

Now I don’t know what kind of man Donald Trump is, or what kind of President he would actually make. What I do know is that he is symbolic of a growing undercurrent in the U.S. and all the nations of Europe whose peoples are sick to death of the evil regimes handing power on to each other election after election to the great detriment of true freedom. We speak of opposing political parties in the U.S., but the way Trump has been sold down the river by his own Republican Party demonstrates that all parties in America, like Britain and elsewhere, are owned and run by the same hidden forces with the same evil agenda. They didn’t expect Trump to do well because they underestimated the feeling of a repressed people. Whatever happens on November 8, the signs are now everywhere present. in the U.S. as well as in the various nations of Europe, that the shackles of Communism are beginning to weaken. People are slowly but surely opening their eyes. Who knows, 2017, the 100th anniversary of Fatima, may indeed prove to be a decicive year for the world in terms of both the shifting political emphasis in the West and the developing situation with Russia.

One thing is for certain, Communism (today called liberal democracy) will not go down without a fight, and possibly even a global war! It seems they’re already preparing the way through the media.

October 21, 2016 at 12:39 am
    • RCA Victor

Absolutely spot on. Our two-party system is a mirage; the media is nothing more than a fifth column, and the banksters want the Clintons back in the White House so they can have their war with Russia, continue dissolving America with immoral depravity and waves of illegal immigrants and “refugees,” and further their plans for world tyranny. Meanwhile, this election carnival gets more hollow with every cycle, but it’s still not hollow enough, apparently, for we dumbed-down Americans to do something about it.

Trump is no saint, but unlike the Clintons, who are every bit as evil as Obama and who love nothing but money and power, he does love his country.

Meanwhile, the USCCB continues to have a bad case of laryngitis about this election. Apparently the millions of federal dollars they receive for “refugee resettlement” has effectively silenced them.

October 21, 2016 at 1:55 am
      • Petrus

I see at the Al Smith dinner Donald was booed for saying that Clinton hates Catholics. He should have been given a round of applause! I’m just disgusted that Timothy Dolan would sit next to that vile woman.

That was a great comment. I wonder if the actions of the media will backfire and change the course of this election, in a similar way to what happened here with the Brexit vote.

October 21, 2016 at 6:31 am
      • RCA Victor

I didn’t see that – that’s pretty sad, on both accounts. Dolan soils himself with the culture of death on a regular basis. He ran up the white flag a long time ago.

Meanwhile, a little ray of hope: the Archbishop of Denver has written that Catholics cannot support Democratic Party candidates: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/denver-archbishop-blasts-democratic-platform-catholics-cannot-support-pro-a?utm_content=buffer55c93&utm_medium=social&utm_source=+lifesitenews%2Bfacebook&utm_campaign=buffer

October 21, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Petrus

I have a feeling that the media is over playing its hand with the scandal mongering against Trump. It’s a risky strategy arising from desperation and I think it will backfire on them, just as it did here in Britain.

As regards the Al Smith dinner, I was appalled by the bad table manners of both candidates in the Presidential race. That American politics has come down to this constant public mud-slinging contest is degrading. The only slack I’ll cut Trump is that he, as RCA Victor says, loves his country and is keen to fix the damage done by decades of the Clintons and their like. Deep down I think he’s a decent enough character. Sadly, I can’t say that about Hilary Clinton.

October 21, 2016 at 11:57 pm
      • Petrus

I think he was right in what he said about the hypocrisy of the Clintons. Sure, the things Donald Trump said about women were deplorable, of course they were, but the Clintons of all people have no place to take the moral high ground. Bill abused his position for many years and Hilary then bullied and harassed his victims. So much for “standing up for women”!

I have to say that I don’t think the presidency is a job for a woman, especially not a 68 year old grandmother! Her entire marriage has been a shambles from start to finish. Maybe if she had focused more on her family and marriage instead of her career then the marriage might have been more successful.

October 22, 2016 at 8:23 am

Petrus

And let’s not overlook the fact that Hilary has some kind of illness going on just now that they’re keeping under wraps until after the election. They should put that old horse out to pasture, I think.

October 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm
      • Petrus

The old mare herself should be put out to pasture along with “Wild Bill”.

October 22, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Petrus,

68 today is last century’s 45! I wouldn’t bother about her age if she had the right policies and wasn’t saddled with such a terrible history. After all, Donald Trump is 70! And being a working grandmother is better than being a working mum, when the children need you at home.

October 22, 2016 at 6:45 pm
      • Petrus

Lily,

I guess my main issue is not that she is 68 , as you point out Donald Trump is 70.

No, my main point is Clinton is a married woman with a husband, child and grandchild. Such high office is not suited to a woman in her position. Indeed, a woman who is the mother of a family should not be pursuing a high profile career. Clinton has done this all her life, from her legal career, senatorship, presidential campaigns and her role as Secretary of State.

I don’t say this because I think women are any less able or worthy. A married woman should be, if possible, putting all her efforts into her home and family. Certainly some married mothers need to work, but that was never the case with Clinton.

October 23, 2016 at 11:23 am

RCA Victor

I agree. That arena is no place for a Prince of the Church, especially one who doesn’t speak up in the way he should, as his sacred office demands. This kind of public spectacle just makes a laughing stock of the Church.

October 21, 2016 at 11:59 pm
  • RCA Victor

We had a sermon last Sunday about voting, and how important it was to vote for a “lesser of two evils” if, by doing so, we avert a greater evil. We were asked to pick up some further information in the vestibule after Mass, but shame on me I forgot. Editor, will you remind me to do that tomorrow????

The lesser evil in this case is, obviously, Trump, and the greater evil, Clinton. In fact, if Clinton gets back into the White House, this country is literally finished. I can see at least several states seceding from the Union in order to avoid the madness of the tidal wave of Muslim “refugees” and the depravity of “transgenderism,” for example. Not to mention a Supreme Court (what a laughable name that is!) with a new liberal majority and judge appointments across the land who will enforce “lawfare” against Christians. Not to mention “climate change” taxes and regulations. Not to mention a new host of Orwellian schemes to hammer Americans into submission to international Communist/Freemasonic tyranny (for example: http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/24457-obama-unleashes-intervention-teams-to-wage-war-on-ideologies ). Not to mention war with Russia, which we would lose.

Did I mention I’m voting for Trump?

October 22, 2016 at 8:57 pm

In this case, i.e. the forthcoming American election, given the sheer evil that would result, as you say, if Clinton were elected President, I would indeed cast my vote for Trump, since he is on record as being opposed to abortion and would act accordingly in office.

However, I think the SSPX article is very clear that, from Church teaching on the subject, we do, in fact have a right to abstain if the only candidates on offer are all “liberal” types. I’ve known that by instinct for years now, and had to discuss with Catholics who followed the episcopal line of “lesser of two evils” when by that they meant, vote for the candidate who, while “liberal” in sexual matters and pro-abortion, still offers a better deal for your wallet. That, in my humble view, is unconscionable.

About the USA election, I got so fed up watching Sky News today that I upped and sent them the following email:

To news@sky.com

I know for a fact that I’m not alone in noticing the way every word spoken by Donald Trump is reported and analysed to death, always in the context of mocking him.

Nor am I alone in noticing the way that the numerous skeletons in Hillary Clinton’s cupboard are NOT reported, let alone analysed. Possibly false allegations of sexual misconduct against Donald Trump have been boring us all week, but never a mention of the fact that Hillary Clinton is on public record boasting and laughing about her success as a defence lawyer in getting a man who raped a 12 year old girl off by suppressing evidence. Google that. And Google “Hillary Clinton drunk” for more evidence of bias in your reporting and that of the rest of the media in the UK. Thankfully, the thinkers in the land can see through your tricks – and we detest the media for their attempts to mislead us, make fools of us.

Oh and PS – different topic. I knew perfectly well for what I was voting when I voted to leave the EU. I was voting OUT – at any price!

October 22, 2016 at 9:52 pm
    • Petrus

Your post is just so brilliant it made me laugh out loud. I have to say, you are definitely one 68 year old woman I would vote for if we had presidential elections in this country!

I have to say, I’m glad we have a monarchy!

October 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Petrus,

Wash your mouth out with soap and water – 68? Moi? I always remembered the advice of a dear friend years ago when I said I hated birthdays: he replied, “you won’t if you just pick one and stick to it” – so I picked 29.

So, you watch it!

October 22, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Would that be 1929? Only joking!!

October 22, 2016 at 11:26 pm
      • Petrus

Clearly a joke! 68? No way! Anyone who knows you will confirm that you don’t look a day over 67!

October 23, 2016 at 6:55 am

Therese,

A good sermon – very clear. Note that the preacher was confident of not having people walk out because he was preaching to a traditional congregation at a traditional Mass. Says it all.

October 22, 2016 at 9:56 pm