Pope: Take Risks With Your Salvation?

Pope: Take Risks With Your Salvation?

In his homily at Casa Santa Marta, Pope Francis explained what paralyzes Christians with a very graphic example.
POPE FRANCIS
“‘Not taking risks, please, no… prudence…’ ‘Obeying all the commandments, all of them…’ Yes, it’s true, but this paralyzes you too, it makes you forget so many graces received, it takes away memory, it takes away hope, because it doesn’t allow you to go forward. And the present of a Christian, of such a Christian, is like when one goes along the street and an unexpected rain comes, and the garment is not so good and the fabric shrinks… Confined souls… This is cowardliness: this is the sin against memory, courage, patience, and hope.”
He also added that pusillanimity and fear of everything are two sins contrary to giving up one’s life in service to others, as Christ asks.
SUMMARY OF PAPAL HOMILY IN ENGLISH
(Source: Vatican Radio)
“‘Brothers, call to mind those first days’: the days of enthusiasm, of going forward in the faith, when you began to live the faith, the anguished trials… You don’t understand the Christian life, even the spiritual life of each day, without memory. Not only do you not understand: You can’t live in a Christian way without memory. The memory of the salvation of God in my life, the memory of my troubles in my life; but how has the Lord saved me from these troubles? Memory is a grace: a grace to ask for. ‘Lord, may I not forget your step in my life, may I not forget the good moments, also the ugly; the joys and the crosses.’ The Christian is a man of memory.”

“Hope: Looking to the future. Just as one cannot live a Christian life without memory of the steps taken, one cannot live a Christian life without looking to the future with hope… of the encounter with the Lord. And he uses a beautiful phrase: ‘just a brief moment…’ Eh, life is a breath, eh? It passes. When one is young, he thinks he has so much time before him, but then life teaches us that those words that we all say: ‘But how time passes! I knew this person as a child, now they’re getting married! How time passes!’ It comes soon. But the hope of encountering it is a life in tension, between memory and hope, the past and the future.”

“‘Not taking risks, please, no… prudence…’ All the commandments, all of them… Yes, it’s true, but this paralyzes you too, it makes you forget so many graces received, it takes away memory, it takes away hope, because it doesn’t allow you to go forward. And the present of a Christian, of such a Christian, is how when one goes along the street and an unexpected rain comes, and the garment is not so good and the fabric shrinks… Confined souls… This is faintheartedness: this is the sin against memory, courage, patience, and hope. May the Lord make us grow in memory, make us grow in hope, give us courage and patience each and free us from that which is faintheartedness, being afraid of everything…  Confined souls in order to save ourselves. And Jesus says: ‘He who wills to save his life will lose it.’”   Source
Comment:
Am I misunderstanding what the Pope is saying here?  IS he belittling the danger of breaking the Commandments? There is, believe it or not, a “Theology of Risk” (Google if you don’t believe me) but surely this is not what Pope Francis is advocating? You tell me…

Here’s more unbelievable stuff from Papa Francis…

FROM FATIMA.ORG

“Yes, Pope Francis actually sent a personal video message to the Super Bowl. What does the Super Bowl have to do with the august office of the Vicar of Christ, divinely appointed helmsman of the sole ark of salvation, charged with the task of teaching, governing and sanctifying a billion souls for their eternal welfare? Don’t ask.

Yet Francis tried to make something spiritual out of the event, which included a massive, over-the-top, neo-pagan halftime spectacle verging on the crowd’s worship of “Lady Gaga” (née Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta) as if she were a kind of semi-divinity, a status the foremost American celebrities are generally accorded.

“Great sporting events like today’s Super Bowl,” said Francis in all seriousness, “are highly symbolic, showing that it is possible to build a culture of encounter and a world of peace. By participating in sport we are able to go beyond our own self interest and in a healthy way, we learn to sacrifice, to grow in fidelity and respect the rules.

Respect the rules! That phrase has explosive implications for the Bergoglian pontificate, which thus far has been all about disparaging “respect for the rules” the Church has laid down in obedience to the instructions of Our Lord.” Click here to read the entire article by Christopher Ferrara

February 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm
    • St Miguel

I would not trust this character to walk my dog. He is a capricious narcissist who once said “being Pope is fun”.

February 13, 2017 at 8:22 pm

To make matters worse, the Super Bowl was used to screen huge advertisements hostile to the Trump administration. Maybe that was the message the Pope was really sending out, a message of support to the liberal destroyers of America.

February 13, 2017 at 9:31 pm
      • St Miguel

One of Lady Gaga’s gimmicks is to wear INVERTED crosses and swallowing Rosary Beads……all totally harmless of course…nothing to see here folks, move on….It is SATANIC.

February 17, 2017 at 10:53 pm
  • St Miguel

And as regards the Dubia…we have this http://www.onepeterfive.com/vatican-mounts-unofficial-official-response-to-dubia/

and now we have THIS http://voxcantor.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/bergoglios-puppy-coco-cant-even-show-up.html

I should CoCo…..pathetic shower.

February 14, 2017 at 11:28 am

St Miguel,

I always think you are a “glass half empty” person when I read your posts, LOL!

February 14, 2017 at 12:07 pm
      • St Miguel

Just a total Realist Lily.

February 14, 2017 at 12:20 pm

St. Miguel

And yet you appear not to accept the reality of the power of prayer for the conversion of sinners and that Our Lord is still in charge of His Church despite appearances. Or am I misjudging your disposition?

February 14, 2017 at 1:26 pm
      • St Miguel

Prayer is one thing Athanasius, but invincible naivety is another.This so called Regularisation is akin to Neville Chamberlain with his piece of paper signed by Herr Hitler saying “Peace in our Time”. Judge my disposition all you want. The evidence is coming in fast and furious now that Bergoglio will hammer the SSPX in to the ground.

February 16, 2017 at 11:52 am
  • Therese February 15, 2017 at 10:24 pm
    • St Miguel

Therese, I totally agree with Michael Matt, especially from from point 21.27 onwards. Bergoglio totally despises the likes of us….it is absolutely unworkable.

February 16, 2017 at 11:48 am

Therese,

Haven’t time to watch videos today but the heading puts me off – I detest this stuff about “rad trads” etc. Bad enough that we have to use the term “traditionalist” to identify that we are not one of the “new Catholics” , but to take that a step further with “rad trad” – not for me. I’m not one of them. I hope!

February 16, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Ignore the heading – Michael Matt agrees with your statement 100%; it’s just what the meeja are calling Catholics.

February 16, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Therese,

Great. I’m pleased about that.

Signed NON-Rad-Trad… 😀

February 16, 2017 at 9:20 pm

St Miguel

Me too.

February 16, 2017 at 5:41 pm
    • St Miguel

The “RAD” part conveys the word “Radical”, which evokes the idea of a “Menace to Society” which translates from Fanatics/Fundamentalists and we all know where that leads….(ending up on a Watch List). Join the dots and Rad Trads are RADICALISED rigid fanatics and that is a not where the NewChurch want to be. Then ask the question again….Rome wants the SSPX under it’s umbrella?

February 16, 2017 at 9:49 pm

St. Miguel

No, Rome does not want the SSPX under its umbrella. Pope Francis is personally driving the negotiations with Bishop Fellay without reference to the Roman authorities, much to their frustration. Bishop Fellay has had access directly to Pope Francis at Casa Santa Marta and the authorities have known nothing about it. That has never happened before.

February 16, 2017 at 10:50 pm

St Miguel,

Don’t be TOO surprised, but I did/do actually know that “RAD” is the short form for “radical”. Yip. They don’t call me clever clogs for nothing.

I’d be very happy if “fanatics” were on a watch list somewhere.

Still, maybe you’re right after all. Much better for the SSPX to go on quietly about its business, and wait for the storm to pass.

In fact, an SSPX priest once opined – in the pulpit and in private conversation(s) that I know about, personally – that it may well be that God will send another “lifeboat” to see us through this crisis; it may not BE the Society after all.

We’ll see. Certainly, we do need someone/group within the Vatican walls, to fight for Christ. But maybe not the Society. I’m beginning to agree with that assessment, given that those who claim to be 100% ++ “RAD TRADS” don’t trust the Society to do the job. As I say… we’ll see.

February 16, 2017 at 11:57 pm
      • WurdeSmythe

> an SSPX priest once opined…that it may well be that God will send another “lifeboat” to see us through this crisis…

Could be. The priority is honor God, save my soul, help the Church and my Catholic brethren. To lose my own soul in the process of ending the crisis would make the devil happy enough. Stay the course and don’t presume; test the spirits; adhere to what is good – that is how the crisis will be brought to a close.

1 Corinthians 9:27: “I buffet my own body, and make it my slave; or I, who have preached to others, may myself be rejected as worthless.”

February 17, 2017 at 1:32 am
  • WurdeSmythe

> Am I misunderstanding what the Pope is saying here? IS he belittling the danger of breaking the Commandments?

This sounds like more talk of the God of Surprises and being too rigid in one’s life. The theology of risk notion is a liberal protestant concoction. One’s obligation is to avoid unnecessary risks to one’s faith; otherwise one flirts with presumption, which is a sin against the Holy Ghost that will not be forgiven.

Here’s an illustration: a man who professes he loves his wife while spending his evenings in houses of ill repute because he doesn’t want to be “rigid” in his adherence to his wedding vow and because he doesn’t want to be “paralyzed” by a risk-free marriage.

Benedict Carter wrote “The man is utterly incoherent, his mind is a complete mess; and he’s a tyrant with it.”

Spot on.

February 17, 2017 at 1:26 am
    • St Miguel

Interesting, as all the problems we tend to discuss on this blog stem from this Vat 2 organised shambles. And now and again we get a glimpse of the Periti with their masks ripped off. If I recall correctly, leading Periti included the then Fr. Joseph Ratzinger.

Would you buy a second hand car from any of these gentlemen?

I would rather go to Arfur Daley (my word is my bond).

February 17, 2017 at 11:48 am

St. Miguel

You’re right, Fr. Joseph Ratzinger was one of the leading periti at Vatican II. He was in the forefront of the liberal revolution alongside his then-friend Fr. Hans Kung. The two of them attended Council sessions dressed in collar and tie. What some people don’t know is that Fr. Ratzinger was at that time on the Holy Office wach list of “those suspected of heresy”. I have no doubt Kung was on the same list by order of Pius XII. There were others also amongst the periti, most notably Henri de Lubac S.J. who pius XII suspended from writing or teaching. John XXIII, without seeking a retraction of de Lubac’s errors, very grave errors that Pius XII specifically wrote Humani Generis to combat, It is said that de lubac went on to substantially influence the construction of the two most controversial documents of Vatican II, Lumen Gentium and Gaudium et Spes.

Dodgy car salesmen are veritable saints in comparison with liberal theologians, especially, sad to say, the Jesuit ones!

February 17, 2017 at 10:14 pm

I should have mentioned that it is against Church law for suspect theolgians to be permitted to participate in the formal proceedings of ecumenical Councils, but it seems John XXIII and Paul VI paid no heed whatsoever to this prudential wisdom. We see now the price of their folly!

February 17, 2017 at 10:18 pm
    • St Miguel

We do indeed and then add Annibale Bugnini to this mess with several PROTESTANT vicars (expert advisors) sticking their oars in to the New Mass, (lessening any offensive nature of the Liturgy) and there is the perfect storm. We add Baum to this stuff, then Nostra Aeatate and no doubt the Good Friday prayer will surface again this year.

February 17, 2017 at 10:46 pm