Pope Francis Causing Catholics To Leave The Church – Can YOU Help Them?

Pope Francis Causing Catholics To Leave The Church – Can YOU Help Them?

worriedmanI’ve had a number of telephone conversations recently, today included, with very worried Catholics who are either losing the Faith themselves or who know others who are losing the Faith, because of the scandalous things Pope Francis is saying and doing. Some of these people made the mistake of “investigating” (i.e. searching online) for answers and, needless to say, some of them are now toying with all the wrong “answers” – notably sedevacantism.

In all honestly, I have scant patience with some of these people (and said so) because they apparently failed to notice the modernism of each of Pope Francis’ predecessors. Pope Francis did not appear out of the blue – each of the post-Vatican II popes prepared the path for him to take the Church by storm, so it is irksome to see the new “converts” to the battle against modernism turn the fight into a battle against Christ’s Church. Significantly, some of these new “converts” are relatively recent “converts” from their novus ordo parishes to the SSPX. It is, therefore, twice as concerning to see them risking their souls by entertaining the “anti-pope”, “anti-Christ”, sedevacantist false “answers” to the current scandalous pontificate. Instead of doing their duty as Soldiers of Christ in the battle against modernism,  they become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

In these contacts with worried Catholics, I’ve given as much Church history as it is possible to squeeze into a couple of hours of conversation and I’ve quoted  St Vincent de Lerins, in order to demonstrate the correct Catholic response to a bad pope, which is to resist his errors and cling to “antiquity” – that is, to Catholic Tradition – while never doubting that Christ has kept His promise to be with His Church until the end of time. Christ assured us that the gates of Hell will never prevail. He made no promise that the gates of Hell will never attack the Church, just that they will never prevail.  I get the feeling, though, that there’s always something more to say, which is where you lot come into the frame…

Explain – in as few words as possible – how you would advise those Catholic who are sorely tempted to abandon the Church and go it alone  – Catholicism to go, so to speak. Provide the links to articles or videos that you think will help, and, of course, pray for all Catholics who are tempted to doubt at this time.  I plan to send the link to this thread to all those online readers who have contacted me in recent times, in the hope that they find it helpful.

Finally, please pray for Pope Francis who will one day be held to account by God, and made to pay for his dereliction of duty, for the scandal he is causing and for the souls which may be lost because of his false teaching.  His beloved God of Surprises is, as things stand, more likely to have a few shocks than surprises in store for him at his Judgment, so we do need to pray very hard indeed – and urgently – for the conversion of Pope Francis.

OurLadyofFatima
Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us!

RCA Victor

“…more to the point, would we have abandoned Our Lord during His Passion, by deciding that it was so unthinkable for Him to be condemned to death, tortured and executed that…He must not be the Son of God after all…?”

Spot on!

February 10, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Don’t encourage him. He’s already demanding a bigger than usual Easter bonus. At this rate, YOU will have to take a drop in pay… 😀

February 10, 2017 at 11:53 pm

From now on RCA Victor gets the worst word in my mouth. I will share my pay with no man!

February 10, 2017 at 11:56 pm
      • RCA Victor

I’ve heard that my Easter Bonus consists of just one colored Easter Egg…for which I will have to search out in the grass on Easter Morning…while I’m searching for the population of Glasgow..

You mean you get more than that?? Editor, I protest!

February 11, 2017 at 5:15 pm

RCA Victor

I couldn’t possibly say what I get but I can hint that it involves numerous duck eggs!

February 11, 2017 at 7:01 pm
  • Gerontius

Here’s a couple of points that I hope will convince those who are considering leaving Holy Mother Church to put all such thoughts aside, and for all sedevacantists to be aware of the very grave danger in which they have placed themselves.

Our Lord, Faithful and True, is still in charge.

Matt. 13:24-30

AT THAT time, Jesus spoke this parable to the multitudes: “The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man that sowed good seed in his field. But while men were asleep, his enemy came, and oversowed cockle among the wheat, and went his way. And when the blade was sprung up, and had brought forth fruit, then appeared also the cockle. And the servants of the good man of the house coming, said to him, Sir, didst thou not sow good seed in thy field? whence then hath it cockle? And he said to them, An enemy hath done this. And the servants said to him, Wilt thou that we go and gather it up? And he said, No: lest perhaps gathering up the cockle you root up the wheat also together with it. Suffer both to grow until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest, I will say to the reapers, Gather up first the cockle, and bind it into bundles to burn, but the wheat gather ye into my barn.”

Do you believe that the day of reckoning is near for evil men and women?

Not as near as it is for the faithful.

The separation of Wheat from the cockle and the Sheep from the goats.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?

18And if the just man shall scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19Wherefore let them also that suffer according to the will of God, commend their souls in good deeds to the faithful Creator.

Harvest time draws ever nearer!

Place your trust in the Sacred Heart Of Jesus and stand-fast, no retreat, no surrender, no compromise!

February 11, 2017 at 7:00 am
  • Prognosticum

While obviously not one of the Seven Sacraments, the Papacy is a sacrament in the Augustinian sense. (Augustine lived at a time when theological language was more fluid. E.g., he could use the word sacrament in relation to the celebration of Christmas and not be thought to be irregular.) Now, just as it is a characteristic of the seven sacraments that they do not compromise the free will of those who receive them, so it is with Papacy.

Just as marriages may fail and ordained ministers may commit evil deeds, so Popes may err. Part of the problem is that we were dreadfully spoilt (most of the time) from about the Council of Trent onwards, and traditional Catholics in particular have a particular veneration for the Popes of the 19th and 20th centuries down to Pius XII. But never forget that not only does St. Thomas Aquinas contemplate the evil minister; he also addresses at length the phenomenon of the heretical Pope.

February 11, 2017 at 7:44 am

Prognosticum,

That’s a very interesting and useful explanation, analogising the papacy with the efficacious sacraments, which,nevertheless do not prevent the exercise of the individual’s free will.

Food for reflection, there. Thank you for that.

February 11, 2017 at 9:59 pm
  • RCA Victor

Lest anyone think, from my post of 2/10 11:26, that I have successfully transcended my anger about this Pope, I’m sorry to report that I have not. In fact, I cannot even look at his face (scowling, laughing or otherwise) or read his incessant babbling without a visceral reaction of disgust and revulsion. So I have a lot of self-examining to do….not to mention praying…

February 11, 2017 at 11:11 pm
    • St Miguel

ditto and further to this, here is the latest Remnant piece from Michael Matt, where he refers to “what happens in the real world” . This Pope despises the SSPX.I rest my case M’Lud.

February 12, 2017 at 8:55 am

St. Miguel

The counsel of Our Lord, the saints and the Sacred Scriptures is that more hatred on their part means more prayers and penances for them on your part. That’s what true Christian charity demands, hard as it is for fallen human nature.

It’s very easy to hate people who hate us; not so easy to love their souls and pray for their conversion. It’s at times like this that the Catholic is put to the test to discover whether his charity is true and deep or feigned and superficial. We all have to answer that million dollar question personally in accordance with own conscience. As I said before, too deep and lasting an anger leads eventually to hatred and bitterness and ultimately to a complete loss of charity, the only theological virtue to continues with us into eternity, faith and hope being for this life only.

February 12, 2017 at 1:42 pm

RCA Victor

Your anger is understandable, I think we all feel a bit of that towards the Pope right now. Still, like the rest of us you know that this is not correct and are seeking to self-examine and pray more. That means you’re nowhere near falling into the error of the sedevacantists, thank God.

February 12, 2017 at 1:29 pm

RCA Victor

Your feelings about the Pope exactly match my own. I do think we are entitled to feel anger at his words and actions, but of course I agree that we should pray harder for him.

February 12, 2017 at 1:53 pm
    • St Miguel

What if the Pope does not want our prayers, bearing in mind his previous mockery of Rosary counters? Does not look to me that he cares about Rigid/Trads/Pelagiansists praying for HIM.

February 12, 2017 at 3:24 pm

St. Miguel

As I said before, it does not matter what Pope Francis wants or appreciates. We just do our Catholic duty before God, which demands prayers for the successor of St. Peter.

Our Lady of Fatima told us to pray and do penance for the conversion of poor sinners. She did not say pray and do penance only for those sinners who want them and appreciate them. I’m sorry but your reason for not wanting to pray for the Pope is fallacious and unCatholic. This Pope needs prayers more than any before him, so time to get on your knees and start offering prayers for the “poor Holy Father”, as little Jacinta Marto remarked when asking for more prayers for the Pope. There is no excuse for refusing prayers for the conversion of sinners, period!

February 12, 2017 at 3:35 pm

St Miguel

As Athanasius says, it doesn’t matter what Pope Francis wants, we must do our duty and pray for him. Christ prayed for those who crucified Him.

Please don’t allow your justifiable anger to rob you of the charity which is demanded of you if you wish to be His follower.

February 12, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Goodness, gracious. It never once crossed my mind to ask any of my lapsed relatives if they wanted me to pray for their return to the Faith, for their eternal salvation. Good grief! I’ve never heard such a thing in my life before. Some of them, at least, would say “no thanks, don’t bother, I’m quite happy enough with my life” – to which my reaction would be… MORE PRAYERS! We’re communicating with the all-powerful, all-seeing, all-benevolent God, remember, who longs for the conversion and salvation of every soul – including Pope Francis.

I can only think that you are having us on, St Miguel – no Catholic would even question the need to pray for sinners, and we’re all sinners, without the sinner’s permission. Crackers. For the record, though, you have my permission to pray for me. 😀

Incredible. Gerragrip!

February 12, 2017 at 5:58 pm
  • Helen

My first thought regarding St. Miguel’s comments was that he’s having a laugh! Imagine having to seek a person’s permission in order to be able to pray for him! Absolutely daft.

February 12, 2017 at 6:45 pm
    • St Miguel

In this country NHS Nurses have been disciplined for even suggesting to a patient that “they would pray for them”. In an age of equality and diversity (viz wearing a cross to work) this will not be tolerated.Funny old world.And when a Pope makes Paul Ehrlich as guest of honour at the Vatican we know where WE stand.

February 12, 2017 at 7:12 pm

St. Miguel

All the more reason to pray for souls privately without announcement of the fact. Besides that, the NHS is not the Church and so the comparison is not a valid one. Mind you, there are times when Churchmen, the Pope in particular, seems to be more a Social Worker than the Successor of St. Peter. Still, prayers are the order of the day.

February 12, 2017 at 9:52 pm
  • Deacon Augustine

Far be it from me to spread rumours from Rome, but they are coming thick and fast at the moment that the formal corrrection has been made privately, and if he does not respond it will go public. Also rumours that Cardinal Muller has resigned from the CDF and Cardinal Burke is cancelling all engagements.

Who knows, maybe we will all believe in empty chairs before long? 😉

February 12, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Deacon Augustine,

Thank you for that – I received the rumour about Cardinal Muller’s resignation by email earlier, but Googling has not brought that news. I will post a thread dedicated to it if and when it comes, so I would appreciate if nobody would beat me to it, or we’ll end up with two discussions on the same topic. That becomes a pain.

I will check from time to time this evening, but be patient as – contrary to popular opinion – I’m NOT chained to my desk; I do, occasionally, have other things to do! Will be on the case asap, though – I promise!

February 12, 2017 at 8:08 pm
      • Deacon Augustine

“So, hang fire, everyone – I did toy with the idea of posting one of the speculative reports and then adding in the news if and when it came, but decided just to wait for now.”

Very wise. On the odd occasion horrible rumours from Rome do turn out to be untrue – only on the odd occasion, though.

February 12, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Thank you Deacon Augustine – I do believe these are more than rumours, but I’d prefer to wait for definite news and not waste cyber space in this age of recycling!

Only, Deacon, I don’t this these are “horrible” events, if true. The resignation of Cardinal Muller and the cancellation of all appointment by Cardinal Burke, take us closer again to the climax of what we are suffering right now.

So, as I say, one and all – hang fire! I’m a bad girl for breaking my own rule! Mea culpa! It’s not really my fault, it’s the Deacon you put with me!

February 12, 2017 at 8:16 pm
      • Deacon Augustine

LOL – the deacon who has been listening to that serpent on facebook…!! 😉

February 12, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Deacon Augustine

This would not surprise me in the least. I think many in the Church have long anticipated a formal public standoff between Pope Francis and what remains of the Traditional Catholic hierarchy, even if they are not all fully Traditional in the sense that we understand. At least some of them are leaping to the defence of the moral teaching of the Church. Or we hope they are!

February 12, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Is there no end to the nonsense? Now we have a special envoy to Medjugorje! Gimme strength:

Vatican City, Feb 11, 2017 / 09:21 am (CNA/EWTN News)- Pope Francis on Saturday appointed Archbishop Henryk Hoser of Warszawa-Praga as a delegate of the Holy See to look into the pastoral situation at Medjugore, the site of alleged Marian apparitions in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

“The mission has the aim of acquiring a deeper knowledge of the pastoral situation there and above all, of the needs of the faithful who go there in pilgrimage, and on the basis of this, to suggest possible pastoral initiatives for the future,” stated a Feb. 11 communique from the Vatican Secretariat of State.

“The mission will therefore have an exclusively pastoral character,” it added.

Greg Burke, the Holy See press officer, strenuously reiterated the pastoral, and not doctrinal, nature of Archbishop Hoser’s mission, while speaking at a press conference. Click here to read more

February 12, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Note when the Vatican Communique was issued, February 11, the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. So on the Feast of a true apparition of Our Lady the Vatican issues a communique that breathes new life into the false Marian apparitions of Medjugorje. One wonders what spirit is operating in the Vatican right now!

February 12, 2017 at 9:46 pm
  • St Miguel February 12, 2017 at 9:26 pm
  • St Miguel

Given this, the onepeterfive link and the stuff on the Megaforgery Hoax, surely this shows us all what and who we are dealing with regards Rome and their machinations.

February 12, 2017 at 9:52 pm

St. Miguel

That Washington Post article you linked by Emma Symons is just a hate-filled liberal rant that is not worthy of serious consideration. I suspect the author has a serious conscience issue of her own that she needs to be honest about. Waste of time reading that rubbish.

February 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
      • St Miguel

Yes, maybe, but the them is that there are a lot of people out to get Cardinal Burke…reminds me of old saying…”will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest”. Contrast this with Paul Ehricht at the Vatican and the still disbanded Pontifical Academy of Life and there is an obvious theme here that Tradition is not welcome.

February 12, 2017 at 10:39 pm

St. Miguel

They were out to get Our Lord in His time. Cardinal Burke knows this is the price of fidelity to the truth and he’s not complaining. All upholders of truth in these times can expect to be on someone’s hit list. Did not Our Lady of Fatima say “the good will be martyred”. This has always been the case in the eternal struggle between heaven and hell.

February 12, 2017 at 11:12 pm
      • St Miguel

The above two links run concurrent and give away the game plan.

One of the Pope’s intentions was to “invite”, as honoured guest speaker, none other than Paul Ehrlich.Looks like the Pontifical Academy for Life will now be staffed by Climate Change/Overpopulation zealots.

February 13, 2017 at 11:16 am
      • RCA Victor

St Miguel,

Tradition has not been welcome since the Modernists hijacked Vatican II. The only difference between the pre-Francis years and now is that this lack of welcome is no longer covert or disguised, but overt in spades. Previously, the China Shop of Tradition had its displays quietly re-arranged when most Catholics weren’t looking. Now, however, there is a bull in said shop, and most Catholics, thank God, are looking…at all the precious shattered fragments on the floor…

February 12, 2017 at 11:46 pm
  • St Miguel

If Pope Francis is going the clear out the “Far Right Rot” from the Church, then who or what organisations would be defined as ” Far Right Rot”…one wonders?

February 12, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Well, not Catholic Truth, one hopes. We’re not “far right rot”. We’re just always… RIGHT!

February 12, 2017 at 11:29 pm
  • crofterlady

I’ve just been reading the article below about the regularisation of the SSPX. I fully understand that the Church needs them NOW and NOT when the battle is over but, I can also see the folly of such a move. Maybe we should trust more in Divine Providence but tell that to The Knights of Malta and the disbanded Franciscans!

February 13, 2017 at 11:45 am
    • St Miguel

CrofterLady, yep I sent that link in recently and given the disgraceful treatment of Fra Festing of the Knights of Malta, the roasting of Cardinal Mueller, the Zika virus contraception (including abortifacients) and the Malteser International row and lastly the Paul Ehrlich at the Vatican caper I would NOT let Pope Francis take my dog for a walk !!!

February 13, 2017 at 5:15 pm
  • St Miguel

All Pope Francis has to say, POST Prelature is :- I am the Pope YOU will obey ME.

February 13, 2017 at 5:18 pm

And all Bishop Fellay would have to say would be “back to the drawing board”!

February 13, 2017 at 5:22 pm
      • St Miguel

Yeah and then the Pope says you are all excommunicated and in Schism.

February 13, 2017 at 5:39 pm
      • BishopFellayFan

So what? Who cares if the pope says that??? They’ve tried that before and it didn’t work.

February 13, 2017 at 6:28 pm
      • St Miguel

He only excommunicated the Bishops.

February 14, 2017 at 10:53 am
    • BishopFellayFan

The Pope can say that now. He IS the Pope and the SSPX are Catholic. This “agreement” will only sort out the canonical status. Everything else will remain the same. I don’t know how many times Bishop Fellay has to say that!!!!

February 13, 2017 at 5:32 pm

BishopFellayFan

Absolutely right! It would be nice if people would just trust Bishop Fellay, not to mention God Himself, in this matter of canonical status. I feel sure that Bishop Fellay knows more about the situation than Internet armchair theologians.

February 13, 2017 at 7:19 pm
  • WurdeSmythe

A few months ago I spoke with Bp. Fellay and asked him if the Holy Father meant SSPX clerics and faithful when he warned against “rigid” Catholics. How does one reconcile remarks of that sort with the Holy Father act of extending the Year of Mercy in perpetuity? Bp. Fellay said that the Pope’s own people in Rome don’t know who he means, but they assured His Excellency that the Pope does not mean the SSPX! Strange as it seems, His Holiness appears to have in mind for his admonitions conservative prelates and faithful within the conciliar framework of the Church – and not traditional Catholics.

February 13, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Wurdesmythe,

Isn’t that downright weird? Strictly rhetorical!

February 13, 2017 at 11:43 pm
      • crofterlady

Mmmmm. A bit hard to swallow methinks!

February 13, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Ah, well that’s a bit different. Slap on wrist, moi!

Still, I wish people wouldn’t speak as if Bishop Fellay were too thick to be on his guard. Clearly, he is not. None of the doom and gloom predictions have come true – he’s made it very clear indeed that he is not going to fall into any trap.

These statements from those who think they are much brighter than Bishop Fellay, always remind me of the “bidding prayers” in the novus ordo Mass, as if God has to be instructed to bring peace to the Middle East or to feed the hungry etc. It’s ridiculous.

There’s not much sense, in my humble view, in the SSPX waiting until perfect order is restored in the Church before charging in on their white horses, precisely at the moment when they’re not needed. Crackers.

February 14, 2017 at 4:34 pm

You’re absolutely right, they speak as though Bishop Fellay were some kind of idiot inferior to them in intellect and spiritual discernment. It’s pretty frustrating, well intentioned as some of them may be.

February 14, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Just found this very good commentary on the Personal Prelature, over at Rorate Caeli. It’s the best, and most concise that I’ve yet seen:

Should the Personal Prelature presented by Rome to the Society of Saint Pius X be accepted? Some present their negative opinion, based on the circumstances, but that is a badly formulated question.

What should be asked instead is this: Can a canonical recognition be rejected when no unacceptable condition is attached to this concession?

Abp. Lefebvre never refused a canonical structure by itself, when he was alive. He refused solely the demands conditioning the structure that he had originally sought and obtained, and that was unjustly removed from him. He never wanted to break, of his own will, the canonical liaison that linked him officially with Rome, and even to this Rome infested with Modernists. Quite the contrary, he refused it: he challenged the publication of the break of this link, and appealed the decisions of the ecclesiastical authorities.

Consequently, Abp. Lefebvre never faced the situation in which we find ourselves: the Society is offered a canonical structure unconditionally. Incidentally, on what basis can it be refused if no condition is imposed (and even if the conditions were neutral), and if one considers that the Pope, due to the divine mandate granted by Our Lord to Peter and his successors, continues to possess the supernatural power of binding and unbinding, despite all his woes? Would the current crisis make the primacy of Peter and the power of the keys of Catholic truths which are embarrassing, optional, and superfluous? Click here to read more

February 14, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Tragically, I’ve just discovered that the wife and mother who rang for advice about sedevacantism, has decided to embrace that terrible error.

Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Her beautiful children are now destined to be raised outside of the Catholic Church. Our Lady of Fatima, Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for them.

I will now close this thread, with thanks to all who contributed to the conversation, in our [failed] attempt to help her to grasp the true and proper attitude of Catholics caught up in such a crisis in the Church.

Please keep these souls in your prayers.

February 14, 2017 at 11:10 pm