Member of European Parliament: Alfie Evans Case “Institutional Arrogance”

Member of European Parliament: Alfie Evans Case “Institutional Arrogance”

Little Alfie died at 2.30.a.m. this morning and, as a baptised Catholic, we know he is in Heaven. So we need not pray for him, but pray for the consolation of his parents.

Comment:

The MEP in the above video, describes the attitude of the medical and legal establishment in the UK as “institutional arrogance” for their intransigent refusal to allow Alfie to be taken abroad for a “second opinion” /  treatment in an Italian hospital.

Given that the opponents of Brexit persistently tell us how the NHS depends on staff, doctors and nurses, from EU countries to keep it up and running, there can’t be any question mark over the qualifications, skills or ability of the medical staff in the Italian hospital which was prepared to accept Alfie.  There was a fully equipped air ambulance provided by the Italian Government on stand-by ready to take Alfie to Italy.  So what on earth was the problem? Should any doctor or medical team have the right to keep a child prisoner, against the wishes of his/her parents, especially in the face of the provisions in place by other equally well qualified medics?

It was Pope John Paul II who coined the term “culture of death” – is this what we are witnessing in the UK and if so, isn’t it time we campaigned for a new law which affirms the right of parents in such cases to over-ride the wishes of doctors?  Is there a need for “Alfie’s Law” to protect the rights of parents in similar situations?

• chloe

I have also sent him an e-mail thanking him for standing up for “Alfie”. In these times it is difficult to get anyone to stand against the “Establishment” as for the Bishops they are too busy cosying up with the Government and having tea with the Queen.

May 2, 2018 at 11:36 am

Chloe,

I agree – the majority are watching their own back, one eye on the next promotion. I can’t remember hearing a single Catholic MP from the UK or Scottish parliaments saying a word about Alfie’s case, shame on the lot of them. Steven Woolfe MEP is to be commended for his attempts to help this family and toddler.

May 2, 2018 at 4:50 pm
  • Andrew Paterson

We are living in a society that is actively anti-Christian. Decades of atheistic and perverted laxity and the importation of millions of muslims should be a clue.
    The hatred of Christianity pervades Europe with few countries exempted. The Church in Europe is trying very hard to operate in accord with the “liberal” values of society, despite these values being almost entirely at odds with the teachings of the Church, the traditions and the Magisterium. No cleric can be trusted to defend the Church or any of its members.
    We should also keep in mind that we are owned by the State. We need the permission of the State for every aspect of our lives. Every aspect is recorded and monitored. This tragedy underlines these things.

May 3, 2018 at 8:22 am
  • St Miguel

Editrix….I have recently asked Petrus Regnat a simple question which he will not answer:-

Is he a medic or in anyway connected with Alder Hey and he will not answer?

Throw in the towel!

May 3, 2018 at 12:18 pm
  • RCAVictor

I would love to see the equivalent of a Nuremberg trial for whatever staff of Alder Hey are responsible for the murder of Alfie Evans, along with the immoral, pro-gay judge who ruled against his parents, along with Theresa May for attempting to scoff at those who object to this outrage, along with Cardinal Nichols and any other UK bishop who supported the murderous State.

They are all Nazis in everything but name.

May 3, 2018 at 3:31 pm

RCA Victor

Many thanks for that beautiful report from Catholic Family News. Absolutely beautiful final paragraph.

But this paragraph – WOW! I didn’t know this… Really and truly, this is dynamite…

A brief look at the British judge at the center of the Alfie Evans case is sufficient to see the forces of death hard at work. As noted by the Church Militant website, High Court Justice Anthony Hayden is a pro-gay activist and a member of the Bar Lesbian and Gay Group (BLAGG), a network of gay lawyers in the United Kingdom. “He has repeatedly ruled against Evans’ parents, represented by the pro-life, pro-marriage Christian Legal Centre, which has condemned homosexuality as one of the ‘most significant challenges to God’s pattern for family in today’s society.’” Hayden is also the co-author of a book promoting gay adoption, described as a guide for those “who provide advice and support to same sex families.” In his February 20 ruling that permitted the halting of life support, Hayden noted (apparently with no trace of irony) that young Alfie required “peace, quiet and privacy.”

Amazing. Only one word of warning – the CFN report links to another report claiming that Alfie was given four drugs just before he died, but this allegation is, reportedly, denied by all concerned, including Alfie’s parents. So we need to park that, unless it is later proven to be true – and we have to hope not.

May 3, 2018 at 9:47 pm
      • RCAVictor

Here’s more on the alleged murder of Alfie:

This is Voris’ website, unfortunately, but the article quotes the Director of an Italian news outlet:

“And Riccardo Cascioli, director of Catholic news outlet La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana (not only has the news outfit covered Alfie’s case firsthand, it has also personally supported Alfie Evans’ family, as well as helped to arrange Thomas Evans’ meeting with Pope Francis) declared, “We must say the truth: Alfie’s been murdered. There must be no ambiguities on this.”

“A few hours before the death, Tom and Kate were told they would be able to take their son home, one last hoax,” he commented. “In reality they had decided Alfie wouldn’t leave the hospital alive, and so it was. They have killed him.”

May 4, 2018 at 2:27 am
      • Fidelis

RCA Victor

This report is truly terrifying and shows Alder Hey as a “vindictive” hospital. It also shows that patients are being euthanized in the UK routinely.

The whole article is rivetting but the questions at the end need answering.

May 4, 2018 at 8:37 pm
  • St Miguel

Article says it all Pat. Does ANYONE knows what Nichols was doing last weekend that was so important? Imagine him spouting at a Life Rally after his Alfie Evans comments…..total disgrace.
    Missing in Action eh?

May 8, 2018 at 12:07 pm
  • RCAVictor

I’d never heard of Caroline Farrow before, but apparently she has been targeted by internet trolls for her role in exposing the murder of Alfie:

But there was something in this article that left me scratching my head (in fact, almost laughing):

But pseudonymous online attackers, known as “trolls”, have been coming after Farrow since she first joined a Catholic media initiative called Catholic Voices in 2011. Catholic Voices, founded by journalist Austen Iverleigh, trains young Catholics to explain Catholic teachings to interested journalists when Church-related stories break.

Austen Iverleigh training Catholics to explain Catholic teachings???? Isn’t that a bit like Bill and Hillary Clinton training people on how to tell the truth?

May 8, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I first heard of Caroline Farrow as a speaker for Catholic Voices, a liberal bunch who set themselves up at the time of Pope Benedict’s visit to the UK, to answer questions in the media (to make sure the media got the “right” answers, LOL!)

Looks like she’s not with them any more, doing her own thing.

May 10, 2018 at 5:10 pm
  • crofterlady May 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Crofterlady,

That is a shocking story and notice, as well, the way the medics are falling over themselves to keep Alex Ferguson on the planet. No worries about him being starved and dehydrated to death. Money and fame – amazing what they can do for your health!

May 10, 2018 at 5:12 pm
      • St Miguel

That thought crossed my mind….today the pagan culture of worshipping a round thing, the sun, moon stars now replaced with the ball…snooker, foot, tennis, golf, cricket, ping pong, rugby you name but people idolise the players….more so the ‘managers’ of the teams and so it goes on.

The old ball caper will get many a Knighthood.

Money and Fame, yes….Ariel Sharon was kept alive for years, no one gave up hope for MIchael Schumaker the racing driver, did they?

Are the rank and file not allowed to expect the best, coz we are ALL supposed to be EQUAL.

We even have an Equalities Minister….or are SOME more equal than others?

Just saying.

May 10, 2018 at 10:28 pm
  • Elizabeth

I’m really beginning to wonder if most of the bloggers on this site have only ever had bad experiences from the medical profession? No one seems to have a good word to say. I still think that we simply cannot rely on the media to publish accurate medical details on individual cases, confidentiality is still important.

May 10, 2018 at 8:29 pm
    • Laura

Elizabeth,

I’ve always had a good experience of the medical profession, just as I’ve always had a good experience of the teaching profession but I know that there are concerns in both professions. (Happily I’ve no experience of the legal profession, LOL!)

However, the Alfie Evans case is a major cause for concern and there are medical professionals who have publicly condemned Alder Hey over this case. I think this was posted before, but I’m putting it here to save you scrolling.

It’s not about “confidentiality” – maybe you have forgotten, but the law was changed a few years back to allow patients to be starved and dehydrated to death. This is now routine in hospitals. Alder Hey is on public record as having failed the NHS inspection tests and they asked for the Liverpool Pathway end of life system to be permitted for sick children.

People are now strongly advised to appoint a family member as Power of Attorney because of the Mental Incapacity Act because only if we have someone to speak for us, can be hope to avoid such a painful death. Even then, as we see in the case of Alfie, we cannot be sure of it.

So personally, and with respect, I don’t think it’s about the bloggers here not having a good word to say about medical professionals, but more about your own unwillingness to accept that there are serious concerns about the direction medicine is taking these days.

May 10, 2018 at 10:00 pm
      • Elizabeth

Laura,
        All I am asking for is a little balance. I am not at all unwilling to accept deficiencies in the medical profession. As a former nurse I have encountered arrogant and unprincipled doctors more than once. In fact I resigned from my last post in protest against what I saw as disgraceful neglect of a patient. And also pursued a complaint against a hospital for the poor treatment given to my dying aunt. And won an apology. So I am under no illusions. However I am uneasy about accusing Alder Hey of murder. If there is a question about that then there should be an inquest and a trial. I just cannot believe that they would kill a child for the reasons that RCAVictor is alleging.

May 10, 2018 at 10:33 pm
    • St Miguel

Elizabeth, none of us on this blog were born yesterday, the medical, legal or teaching professions are NOT some kind of Elite or self appointed ‘Leaders in Thought’.

We are obviously too thick to have voted for Brexit, as our political masters seek to insult our intelligence on a daily basis.

We, yes we, pay their wages…we are the gatekeepers, we can read and sift and google and get all the info we need.

We have opinions, we are educated and can give anyone a run for their money.

What I won’t put up with is people in power hectoring us for daring to question them.

We are the stakeholders/shareholders in the NHS and we just won’t be taken for a ride.

May 10, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Elizabeth,

I think Laura has spoken for us all, or most of us here, but I would simply add that I have a mixed experience of the medical profession dating back to my youth when I was employed for a time as a ward secretary, attending meetings with senior medics. I recall one Consultant remarking on my obvious disapproval of his comments about elderly patients (he was a Geriatric Consultant) and my reply which was: “I was just thinking that I hope I’m never in a hospital in my old age”. He laughed it off, but now that I’m approaching old age myself (after 29 the years fly, I’m told!) I find myself praying that whatever afflicts me, I do not require hospital admission. I do have relatives appointed to act as Power of Attorney, with clear instructions not to allow me to be starved to death. No need to go to extraordinary lengths to keep me alive, I’ve told them (as if they would!) but definitely do not allow the medics to starve me to death.

WHO on earth, a few short years ago, would ever have thought we needed to say that? I was taken aback on the day of my mother’s (RIP) last (as it turned out) admission to hospital that I was asked five times if I had Power of Attorney, firstly by the attending GP (a different doctor from my current GP) and thereafter by hospital staff. Terrifying. I actually said to each one who asked that, POA or not, (and I did have POA), I wanted my mother treated to keep her alive and get her home. In fact, I did get her home when the hospital said there was nothing more they could do for her, and she died at home some months later. That’s as it should be – not acting to hasten death.

As I’ve indicated above, and as you appear to have experienced yourself as a nurse, there has been a wrong attitude (I put it no more strongly than that) to the elderly (and to others from sick children to the terminally ill) for a long time. The difference is that in recent years it has been more openly executed (if you’ll excuse the pun) and there is absolutely no question about it, euthanasia/assisted suicide, whatever it’s called, will soon be passed into national law. And, as we all know, if something is “legal” then it’s “moral” in the eyes of the hoi polloi.

At present, I am blessed to have a very good GP – happily, I’ve not had to visit him too often but I was delighted to find that he is a reader of this blog, so I’m not saying anything here that I haven’t or wouldn’t say to him, directly. General Practitioners are one category of medical professional, Dr Harold Shipman aside, but hospitals worry me to death – again forgive the pun!

May 11, 2018 at 10:53 am
  • RCAVictor

Here is an update on Alfie Evans, suggesting that (a) vaccines were responsible for his brain damage, and (b) that he had to be murdered before his 2nd birthday, which was yesterday, because once he reached his 2nd birthday, he had “rights” and the NHS could be sued:

Also, follow the link at the end of the first paragraph for the NHS policy on vaccine damage payment.

May 10, 2018 at 10:05 pm
  • Helen

Laura, could you elaborate a little on this please? What law etc?

“but the law was changed a few years back to allow patients to be starved and dehydrated to death.”

May 11, 2018 at 10:25 am

Helen,

I don’t know to which particular law Laura refers, so I’ll leave that to her to answer, but it is a fact that food and drink are now regarded as “treatment” and since treatment can be withdrawn on medical advice, so can food and drink. I’m not sure if there’s a specific law, but I do know that food and drink are now classed as “treatment”.

May 11, 2018 at 11:00 am
  • Elizabeth

I think that anyone who has a comment on this case should read the following report first.

May 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Elizabeth,

Thank you for posting that link to the judicial review, which I hope to finish reading tomorrow. I’ll comment in more detail then.

May 14, 2018 at 10:56 pm

Elizabeth,

I have been reading the review in bits and pieces since yesterday, but not finished yet, due to persistent interruptions and the nuisance of having to eat and drink occasionally, not to mention keeping up with this blog – indeed, the only thing I’ve been spared today is a visit from a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses!

I’ve still not finished reading the entire document, but, while the detail given is impressive, if largely incomprehensible to the lay mind, I did check out the initial diagnosis, made when he was admitted to hospital:

Admitted to hospital in Dec 16. “Alfie was diagnosed with acute viral bronchiolitis and a possible prolonged febrile convulsion.” (#6)

There being massive gaps in my medical knowledge, understanding and expertise, I visited a couple of NHS sites for accurate definitions:

(1) acute viral bronchiolitis – a common illness of the respiratory tract. It’s caused by an infection that affects the tiny airways, called the bronchioles, that lead to the lungs. As these airways become inflamed, they swell and fill with mucus, which can make breathing difficult. and a possible prolonged febrile convulsion.

(2) Febrile seizures (febrile convulsions) – are fits that can happen when a child has a fever. They most often happen between the ages of six months and three years. It can be frightening and distressing to see your child having a seizure, particularly if it’s their first one. However, the fits are usually harmless and almost all children make a complete recovery afterwards.

So, in lay terms, nothing to seriously worry about.

I’ve not quite finished reading, although I have been making notes and researching a little, but so far, the question remains as to why, if a condition is undiagnosed – and they are nothing if not completely open about that fact – they can be so certain that there is nothing to be done. The twin remarks about there being no diagnosis (but) Alfie won’t recover, is striking throughout. I know it’s not an exact analogy, but a teacher wouldn’t be allowed to get away with claiming that pupil x – wee Johnny – has some impediment holding him back from learning and so teacher is confident that he will fail the exam. S(h)e would be sent packing to work out some way of identifying and removing the impediment and helping wee Johnny to pass. It strikes me throughout that here we have a succession of doctors examining the same records and agreeing with one another. Strange that not one of these doctors suggested an alternative way forward. Except Professor Haas – cut down to size by the Judge…

Indeed, I find it most interesting that the pleasant and benign tone of the Judge changed dramatically when he rebuked the one professional who did not agree that Alfie should be allowed to die: The judge remarks:

“Professor Haas proffers this summary of his own perspective as to Alfie’s best interests:

43 To summarize this young boy Alfie is at the best of my knowledge unfortunately suffering from a severe, very likely progressive neurological disorder that will ultimately lead to his death. In agreement with the statements of his medical team I have difficulties to believe of any cure for this child. It is however unclear how many time he will be able to share with his parents. Apparently he has so far lived longer than initially projected. Withdrawing of treatment will immediately lead to his death and this can certainly not be in his interest. It is clear that in his best interest there should be a possibility for Alfie to live the possibly short rest of his life in dignity together with his family if this is the wish of his parents at home, which I believe is the best for him, outside a hospital or in a hospice or other form of caring institution. A dedicated neurological rehabilitation institution may be of additional benefit because there may well be other treatment and stimulation therapies I am not aware of”. [emphasis added – Ed]

44. Professor Haas was instructed by these parents to assist them and the Court on the basis of his experience and expertise, which is evidently considerable. It is no part of his function however to utilise the case as a platform for his own personal beliefs. I found the following concluding paragraph to be inflammatory and inappropriate, not least because the views expressed bear no relationship to and do not engage with the facts of this case. It would not be appropriate to edit them out of this judgment and for that reason only I set them out. I will address them below. [emphasis added – Ed]

“Because of our history in Germany, we’ve learned that there are some things you just don’t do with severely handicapped children. A society must be prepared to look after these severely handicapped children and not decide that life support has to be withdrawn against the will of the parents if there is uncertainty of the feelings of the child, as in this case”. END OF EXTRACT.

This is perhaps a good point at which to break; I will finish reading the entire document but – as I’ve already said – I would have been more convinced that nothing was awry, had the authorities issued an autopsy report rather than a judicial review which, ultimately, carries no meaningful weight.

However I will finish reading it – I promise!

May 15, 2018 at 7:44 pm
  • St Miguel

Elizabeth, are we all supposed to be impressed by legalese sophistry, Crests, insignia, words like Royal, words we see these days like the word TRUST linked to hospitals, charities etc?

Are we supposed to sit up straight, fold our arms and pay attention when we see the words.gov.uk in a link.

I for one am not buying it.

May 14, 2018 at 10:34 pm

St Miguel,

It would be more impressive if you had rather more profound reasons for “not buying it”. With respect, whether or not the document contains crests, insignia, words like “Royal” etc, is all irrelevant. You need to read the review and see if you spot an issue.

I’ve not been able to finish reading it myself, but my first thought on seeing it was, why no autopsy? THAT would have settled or confirmed the concerns of us all – it seems incredible that the powers-that-be would produce a judicial review and not an autopsy.

May 14, 2018 at 10:55 pm
      • St Miguel

There is an old saying, ‘he that protesteth too much’….as you say no post mortem and therefore no diagnosis as to the real cause of death.The powers-that- be want the last word and the ‘enquirers’ to shut up and go away..do not dare question the Establishment.

I do not trust a single word spouting from the Establishment these days, they constantly over egg the pudding.

With no post mortem it is not worth the paper it is written on…but hey ho that’ just my opinion.

May 15, 2018 at 7:38 am
    • Elizabeth

St .miguel, just read it please. I think even you would agree that it shows great respect and compassion for the child and the parents. Why do you have such contempt for British tradition I wonder?

May 15, 2018 at 5:39 pm
  • RCAVictor

Apparently Alfie Evans’ parents are about to open a new chapter in this heinous situation: https://mahoundsparadise.blogspot.com/2018/06/thomas-evans-break-silence-they-paid.html

June 17, 2018 at 11:46 pm
    • Fidelis

That’s really interesting. I couldn’t help thinking of Alfie over the weekend with all the news bulletins about the little boy with severe epilepsy who had his “medical cannabis oil” that his mother had bought in Canada, and was confiscated on arrival in the UK. They had lots of TV coverage, the mother was very nice and praising of the doctors and nurses and so on, then the Home Secretary intervened and had the cannabis returned to her. Then, once that decision was made public, the mother’s tone changed and she said on camera that the Home Office should have nothing to do with medicine again, and she was going to campaign for legalising medical cannabis.

Maybe if Alfie’s dad had sung the praises of the hospital and government instead of criticising, he would have had a different outcome.

June 18, 2018 at 9:04 am