EU Elections: Should Catholics Vote for The Brexit Party? Why/Why Not?

EU Elections: Should Catholics Vote for The Brexit Party? Why/Why Not?

Comments invited…

• crofterlady Reply

Well, Editor, who would you support?

May 25, 2019 at 9:31 pm
    • editor Reply

Crofterlady,

Initially, after seeing her interviewed right after resigning from cabinet, when she showed some “fire” about the dithering at No. 10, and the need for strong negotiators, I was of the opinion that Esther McVey would make a good PM, and was impressed that when she was asked by the interviewer if she would condisder standing as a candidate, she didn’t go in for the usual false humility, but said “yes” right away, if sufficient MPs would support her. All of this made me think she would be a strong PM. I could still be right (!) but I am actually becoming more inclined towards Andrea Leadsom for the following reasons.

1) She’s a woman (kidding!)

2) She did her best to be loyal to the PM, defending her Withdrawal Agreement (WA) throughout, only because she thought it would at least get us out of the EU. I felt that she was staying in the cabinet to maintain a strong Brexit presence, despite being essentially opposed to the WA.

3) Only when the WA was to be returned to Parliament with additional concessions such as the possibility of a second referendum, which represented the proverbial “step too far”, did she resign; in my view, that shows her acting out of conviction and not to further her own career ambitions/prospects. Integrity.

4) She is reported today as having said clearly that, for a negotiation to be successful, one has to be ready to walk away. I know a few of the candidates are saying that now, but I’m not sure all of them were/are truly genuine Brexiteers, whereas I think Andrea does believe in Brexit – and we need a believer at No. 10, no question about it.

So, at this time of writing, my money is on Andrea Leadsom, possibly Esther McVey – and I repeat; my “vote” is based solely on the candidates’ Brexit credentials. I am not looking at their voting record on any other issue, for the purposes of getting us out of the EU, on this occasion.

O and one more possible – Steve Baker who gets so little publicity but is a definite “believer” – he was, I think I’m correct in saying, one of the first to resign from office over the watering down of Brexit. So, although he’s not declared (yet), if he does, I think he’d be a definite “maybe” 😀

May 25, 2019 at 11:31 pm
      • Petrus

I am definitely more “party political” than you are, but we won’t go there today! 🙂 However, I agree with you: I like Andrea Leadsom and hoped she would become Prime Minister last time there was a vacancy.

May 26, 2019 at 1:59 pm
  • David Kennedy Reply

I voted Brexit Party and I believe the brexit party to be not in name but fundementally a Catholic Party.

We can see the links between trump and farage neither catholic i admit

However if u look at trumps campaing team and close allies a great number were/are catholic

One of these was a man called steve bannon. Bannon is a Catholic and he has come to europe and is supporting populist parties across the continent. The Brexit Party is without doubt a populist party bannon and farage know each other well

Bannon is working very closely with Cardinal Raymond Burke through the dignatus humanus insititute of which Cardinal Burke is the president. Bannon has established a catholic training school for future european populist leaders in a former monastry in italy owned by the dignatus humanus insititute where the future leaders will learn about our catholic/christian heritage in order to defend uphold and promote christian values in europe.

Indeed Nigel farage has previously pleaded with the EU to start upholding and promoting our “judeo christian culture in europe”

Then we look at some of the financial backing of trump coming from Robert Mercer catholic billionaire and friend of steve bannon indeed it was mercer that introduced bannon into the trump team.

Mercer was also involved with farage and the leave campaign through cambridge analytica and is also a long time friend of nigel farage

I dont know if mercer has any links with cardinal burke but bannon certainly does and if not directly then mercer is linked through bannon.

I have also heard the the koch brothers and rupert murdoch are in some way involved with the brexit party although i am yet to investigate this further.. The koch brothers are known for their investment into catholic univeristies in the united states in order to promote catholic evangalisation…although i can not confirm they are catholic i pressume they are.

Rupert Murdoch is a well known Catholic owner of fox news a channel that is somewhat pro trump

He also owns sky news who have recently done a less than harsh peice on the brexit party.

Then there are the obvious Catholics running in the brexit party Ann Widdecombe and Annunziata Rees Mogg are the two obvious ones

Voting Brexit Party is almost like voting catholic

May 26, 2019 at 3:39 am
    • Josephine Reply

David Kennedy,

Rupert Murdoch is not a Catholic. He was married to a Catholic at one time (divorced several times and remarried) and sometimes attended Mass with her but he never became a Catholic.

As well as the two Catholic Brexit Party people you mention there is also Claire Fox a former Communist! So, I’m not sure voting Brexit is voting for a Catholic party.

May 26, 2019 at 8:47 am
    • editor Reply

David,

I almost missed your first (I think I’m right in saying) comment on this blog; that’s the problem with these Mystery Man avatars – they are so easily missed.

I can only second what Josephine said about Rupert Murdoch who is about as Catholic as Sadiq Khan.

As for the rest – well, we’re suffering a huge identity and faith crisis relating to the Church right now – I’m choosing my words carefully because only those who accept the teaching of the Church and the natural moral order in their entirety – Tradition and Scripture of equal weight – are authentically Catholic, and thus IN the Church.

Given that there are very few – what we now call – “traditional Catholics” (at one time, the only type of Catholic around) I’m not so sure about anyone on your list, including Cardinal Raymond Burke who has said some hard things about the Society of Saint Pius X – the “lifeboat” given to us by God, to see us through this time of intense crisis and scandal.

Suffice to say that The Brexit Party should – at the moment – be a natural home for Catholic voters since it seeks to restore independence to the UK and keep us out of a United States of Europe. That’s the only policy they have, thankfully, which means we can vote for them (and I did!) with a clear conscience, without having to worry about policies on moral issues which would compromise the Catholic conscience.

Thank you for posting the video – I’ve just watched it and my over-riding thought is this: shouldn’t this be the Bishops across Europe saying what Nigel Farage has, so courageously, said? When are the Bishops going to show some elementary courage – Nigel didn’t say anything earth-shattering, simply a key truth. Honestly, the Bishops across Europe (including in the UK) should be hanging their heads in shame.

May 26, 2019 at 6:11 pm
      • David Kennedy

I understand what you are saying about the disorientaion in the church. I am confident that the church will pass through this crisis. I am however looking at this politically there is little doubt in my mind that secualr forces within the eu and elsewhere are having a terrible effect on our church and are uniting with modernist theologians bishops and cardinals in order to “reform” (destroy) the church from within. I do think that there is a element with in the church that are working towards the destruction/reform of the secular powerbase. While another section is backing the neo liberal international left… now these men may not be perfect infact they may even fall far from grace however from what i can gather they do believe in christendom in the church and its vital roll in society and thats enough for me. On future party policies in respect to catholic moral teaching i expect the brexit party to play softly softly catchy monkey… restrictedly pro choice with a slight lean to pro life that will grow over time. Pro homosexual rights but with a traditional family bias that will advance as christian values and culture are remembraced. Its taken many years to destroy the christian faith. There needs to be a fundemental change in who controls our education system and our media once the antichristian powers are removed then perception managment through the media can begin to change peoples attitudes. Of course i believe in the teachings of the church on these issues. I am not a politican but i would see no harm in voting for a party that is publically working to limit abortion with the non public intended aim of making it ilegal or the same with homosexual marraige.. public aim to uphold traditional family values etc

Its not so simple to deduce if its not publically declared but i feel confident that the men behind the scenes are working towards that goal.. indeed the full restoration of christian europe.

However i still think its going to take a miracle

we need to continue to pray for the consecration of russia and the intercession of our ladies immaculate heart and her ultimate victory that she has promised

May 28, 2019 at 12:15 am
  • Petrus Reply

I pay very little attention to any claim that a politician is a “devout Catholic”. Iain Duncan Smith was claimed to be one but has never voiced any objection to same sex marriage. I believe he even voted for it. Jacob Rees-Mogg I like and he does some good, but he’s weak on moral issues, as shown when he said it was “wonderful news” that Ruth Davidson was pregnant via IVF. I understand prudence, but if I had been asked that question MY prudent answer would be, “Whilst I hope and pray for a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby, all research shows that a child does better with a father and mother.” So, I fail to get excited about claims of “devout Catholic”.

I believe Esther McVey and Andrea Leadsom voted against same sex marriage, so at least that’s something.

May 26, 2019 at 1:57 pm
    • editor Reply

Petrus

I pay absolutely NO attention to any claims that ANYONE is a “devout Catholic”. I could write a book on the subject, but let’s leave it there.

I’m afraid the flaw in your “prudent” answer is that the child born via IVF DOES have a father – just not one who is married to the mother and resident in the home. The only possible answer surely is – since he was being asked about the matter BECAUSE he is a Catholic – that IVF is immoral and cannot be condoned. Any children born as a result of it, of course, must be treated as well as any other child, not their fault, but I think someone like JRM who is frequently asked about sexual morality because he is known to be a Catholic, should forget about prudence and simply answer according to the teaching of the Church. Not say how wonderful human life is and – more or less, that he meant to send a card! Gimme strength!

May 26, 2019 at 4:24 pm
      • Petrus

Yes, of course. I didn’t mean that prudence should equal ducking the question. I actually meant to write what you wrote about IVF. I also agree that he should just answer the question. When I’m asked by friends, acquaintances etc who are trying to catch me out I often say, “You know I’m a Catholic that believes everything the Church teaches. You know fine well what the Church teaches about that subject, therefore you have no need to ask me if I believe that.”

May 26, 2019 at 4:56 pm

Petrus,

Now, them there are what I call “communication skills”! 😀

Note for the rest of our blogging community. If only you would all reflect on these very wise words from Petrus…

“. I actually meant to write what you wrote…” then peace and harmony would reign on this here forum! 😀

May 26, 2019 at 5:43 pm
      • Petrus

🙂 🙂 🙂

May 26, 2019 at 5:47 pm
  • editor Reply

Here’s Esther McVey interviewed on Sky News this morning…

May 26, 2019 at 5:46 pm
    • Petrus Reply

I thought Esther McVey did very well in that video. She came across as firm and realistic. I don’t think she was out under any real pressure by the interviewer right enough. I think my “support” will be given to either Esther or Andrea Leadsom. The men are either weak, buffoons or snakes!

May 26, 2019 at 8:00 pm
      • crofterlady

Petrus, why do you think the male candidates are either weak, buffoons or snakes? Which characteristic would you apply to each individual male candidate?

May 27, 2019 at 2:02 pm
      • Petrus

Boris – buffoon
        Raab – weak
        Gove – snake

May 27, 2019 at 6:31 pm
      • crofterlady

Haha, that made me chuckle! But there are a lot of other hopefuls as well; what do you think of them?

May 27, 2019 at 11:28 pm
  • editor Reply

As I’m sure you will all have noticed, the “remoaners” are turning the huge Brexit Party success in the EU election into a success for “remain” and a second referendum (laughably termed a “People’s Vote” as if the people didn’t vote in 2016!)

Stormy days ahead, methinks – we should pray to the patron saints of England (St George), Scotland (St Andrew), Wales (St David) and Ireland (St Patrick) for a peaceful resolution to this battle… Perhaps especially pray to St Patrick since he is famed for being able to handle snakes!

May 27, 2019 at 11:00 am
  • editor Reply

Here’s Melanie Phillips on the EU election results. Well worth reading – her take on the “favourite” (Boris Johnson) and certain other candidates for the Conservative leadership are thought-provoking…

May 28, 2019 at 11:11 am
  • Paul Reply

I believe we should leave the EU with a real fervour. The retired bishop, who says mass in my now ex parish, has been banging on to all of his parishioners about why we have a christian duty to support the EU. I wrote to him disagreeing and told him I was now attending mass elsewhere. It seems he doesn’t care as he has never addressed my point of view. However, I didn’t vote Brexit Party in the EU election because I knew nothing about the candidates. (I didn’t vote at all for any party.)

May 29, 2019 at 1:16 pm
    • Laura Reply

Paul,

I don’t think it matters who the candidates are for the Brexit Party since the only reason to vote for them is to get Brexit done. That’s a pity you didn’t vote but they had a huge success anyway. GMB tried to spin it as a success for remain but Nigel put them right, LOL!

May 29, 2019 at 4:18 pm