Faithless Scots Bishops to keep churches closed until AT LEAST 2021…

Faithless Scots Bishops to keep churches closed until AT LEAST 2021…

Correction:  with apologies, the headline here is misleading.  The churches are not to remain “closed” until 2021, but won’t fully reopen until a vaccine or treatment has been found, which the Bishops believe will be at least 2021 – see the article below. Special thanks to the troll who pointed this out.
____________________________________________________

A working group has been set up to deal with the impact coronavirus has had on the Catholic community in Scotland.

Parish life for Scotland’s Catholic communities is not expected to return to normal until 2021, according to the church.

The Bishops’ Conference of Scotland has formed a Covid-19 working group to look at how best to meet long-term pastoral needs during the pandemic.

It will aim to ensure the church is prepared for extended measures on the operation of parishes and dioceses.  Activities within parishes are expected to have some form of restriction until next year, the conference said.

Bishop Brian McGee, chairman of the group, said: “After our public masses stopped and our churches closed with almost no warning, the immediate response from our priests and parishioners across Scotland was both impressive and uplifting.

“With great ingenuity and creativity, online masses and devotions were made available throughout the country every day.

“Through this and other action, many vulnerable and lonely people continue to be supported in safe ways.

“While it will be wonderful when our parishes can reopen, we recognise that parish life cannot quickly return to normal until a vaccine or a treatment is available.

“We do not expect this to happen until at least 2021.

“This means that even when churches reopen, parish activities will still be greatly restricted, our pastoral working group hopes to identify and publicise advice or resources to help dioceses and parishes face fresh challenges in a safe manner.”

Early figures indicate high numbers of viewers are watching and downloading masses and devotions online, according to the conference. Source – The Sunday Post

Comment:

This is totally disgraceful, and manifest evidence of the lack of divine and Catholic Faith in these bishops. How insulting to effectively tell God that we have no need of him now.  [Maybe] we’ll be back fully next year.  I have no words to describe the pity I feel for them, the contempt with which their faithlessness is being viewed in Heaven.   Nobody needs a Theology Degree to know that this decision cannot possibly be pleasing to God. I won’t say any more at this point, in order to leave those  of you with greater minds than mine, and probably lots more patience than I possess, to add your thoughts.

St Andrew, Patron  Saint of Scotland, pray for us!

St Margaret, Queen of Scotland, pray for us!

St John Ogilvie, pray for us!

Our Lady of Aberdeen, pray for us!

The French Council of State yesterday ordered the French Government to lift its “general and absolute ban” on religious ceremonies, within 8 days. It said the ban was disproportionate and a “serious and manifestly illegal infringement” of religious freedom.

So the French will be able to return to mass very shortly.

My understanding is that this is the result of various legal actions raised by, among others, the SSPX, FSSP and The Fraternity of St Vincent Ferrer (which is a traditional Dominican order, based in France).

I have read elsewhere that Ireland is to be one of the last places to allow public masses to recommence (based on Government statements about dates etc).

May 20, 2020 at 9:39 am
  • Fidelis

Gabriel Syme,

That’s really good news but in London, there is one part of London where they are going to allow the Call to Prayer for Muslims during Ramadan (and IMHO that will be allowed to stay after lockdown/Ramadan).

Hearing it on the TV, it sounds very loud, so that is going to go out to make up for them not being able to get together or their breaking of the Ramadan fast.

May 20, 2020 at 9:45 am

Fidelis,

I couldn’t believe it when I read about the Adhan (call to prayer) being broadcast in London. I found a link to a report on it at Lifesitenews

The report says that broadcasting the Adhan is “an alternative form of connection” for Muslims, with mosques currently closed along with all other places of worship in the U.K. as part of the nationwide coronavirus lockdown..

So why can’t we have the ringing of church bells as “an alternative form of connection” for Christians during lockdown?

May 20, 2020 at 10:01 am

Lily,

Thank you for posting that news – I’ve now received an email from a reader asking us all to sign a petition against this. I’ll sign now, and I recommend that others sign as well.

May 20, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Fidelis,

Hearing it on TV is nothing compared to hearing it first hand. When I was in Israel some years ago, I almost fell out of bed such was the fright I had on hearing it at the crack of dawn. I do NOT envy the residents in those London boroughs!

Here, for ease of reference, is the link to the petition on the subject, which I’ve just posted in answer to Lily, above…

May 20, 2020 at 10:48 pm

I thought this thread was probably the best one to place this Fox News report on, as it treats of another faithless prelate. Washington’s Archbishop Wilton Gregory has had a go at Donald Trump because police removed some anarchists from a square prior to him taking a photo shoot. The occasion of Trump’s outing was to visit the shrine of Saint (?) John Paul II. Instead of being praised by the Archbishop, however, read what happened.

I should mention that Archbishop Gregory once rejected a petition of the faithful who wanted a certain Monsignor removed from his position as advisor at a shrine of Our Lady in Atlanta for being pro-LGBT. On another occasion, when asked by a transgender man if he was considered outside the Church, the Archbishop immediately castigated all those who would say such a thing, telling the transgender individual that he is at the heart of the Church.

It seems Archbishop Gregory was a convert to the faith, apparently wanting to become a priest even before he was a Catholic. He was ordained in 1959 and I can’t help thinking of Bella Dodd’s revelations about Communist infiltration into the Church in the U.S.

June 3, 2020 at 1:38 am
    • Maryw52

OT but re Bella Dodd’s revelations of Communists infiltration – I’ve always been very, very puzzled as to why ++Sheen forbad her to reveal the names of the Communists she placed in seminaries, the Vatican etc. To my mind (and possibly judgmentally), this puts a big question mark on his up-and-coming cause for canonisation.

Btw a great letter to the Scottish bishops. You write so beautifully!

June 17, 2020 at 12:07 pm

MaryW52

I know what you mean about ++Fulton Sheen’s “Cause”. I have to say that I loved his talks and sermons, there was a lot of great Catholic teaching in them. Sadly, though, he went along with the Conciliar “reform” and was hostile to Archbishop Lefebvre, the one who should be canonised. I have also read that in the 1960s Bishop Sheen’s diocesan offices had among its lay workers a number of women in mini skirts, the fashion of the time but hardly appropriate for work in a Catholic diocesan office, yet this was permitted. Then there are the stories of ambition and the rivalry between ++Sheen and Cardinal Spellman.

However, I have never read any trustworthy and definitive source proving that ++Sheen silenced Bela Dodd in the way you describe. It would be very controversial if he had given his very public opposition to Communism. Mind you, Bela Dodd must have revealed names to many in the hierarchy at the time and yet nothing was ever done. Maybe they simply didn’t trust her testimony. It’s certainly a bit of a mystery.

Thank you for your very kind comment about my letter. Please God it will make our bishops reflect seriously on what they are doing, or rather not doing!

June 17, 2020 at 12:27 pm
      • RCAVictor

Mary and Athanasius,

I’ve also read somewhere, years ago (translation: I don’t remember where) that Bella Dodd was advised by Abp. Sheen not to reveal the names of the Communists she had placed in the seminaries. One of the things on my bucket list, in fact, is to visit the Bella Dodd archive in St. Louis and investigate whether some or all of these names are listed somewhere in her archived documents.

I’ve not read many of Abp. Sheen’s books, but I’ve found his writings against Communism to be the most powerful and effective. All the more strange, then, that he accepted the Conciliar “reforms,” which were essentially Marxism applied to the Church.

June 17, 2020 at 5:10 pm

RCAVictor

Yes, it is very strange that Archbishop Sheen (I forgot he’d been elevated from Bishop) would want to silence such names. I think you’ll have to shove that search of the Dodd archives to the top of your list, because now I’m curious!!

June 17, 2020 at 6:12 pm
      • maryw52

Yes, I did a search last night after your comment, Athanasius, as to where I may have seen that bit of information but couldn’t find a direct connection. I seem to remember that it had something to do with Alice Von Hildebrand so will keep looking…

But in my wanderings around the big WWW there were different reasons talked of as to why ++Sheen forbad Dodd such as for her safety etc. But we’ll probably will never know why the ban (if it happened) and have to chalk the supposed incident down to one of life’s little mysteries with possible huge implications for the Church and the world if it did.

June 18, 2020 at 12:14 am

MaryW52

Don’t trouble yourself further trying to find original sources, it will take up too much of your time and you’ll probably never get to the original source. RCAVictor is also aware of this story regarding Archbishop Sheen but is likewise unable to find the original source.

I think it’s fairly likely that for some reason Archbishop Sheen did keep those names silent, though I agree with you that it was a mistake. I have no doubt he was well intentioned but I think if he were alive today he would probably agree that his decision at that time was misguided. God alone knows how many of these operatives are now in high clerical office within the Church.

I remember back in the late 1980s (I think) a story broke of two prelates in the Vatican, close to the Pope, who had been unmasked as KGB operatives. It was a massive media story at the time and then it all went quiet. Now I cannot find a single reference to that story, it’s like they’ve wiped it from the record. If only I could remember their names!

June 18, 2020 at 12:23 am
      • maryw52

FWIW my search found this interesting tidbit of a link… (And I hope dear Editor won’t mind my posting it.)

It seems to be hearsay but very mind blowing if true.

June 18, 2020 at 1:54 am

MaryW52

I had a look at those four names and apart from one I recognised three top liberals from Vatican II. However, Cardinal Gregorio Pietro XV Agagianian, although one of the most liberal at the Council and attributed as the main author of the highly dubious Guadium et Spes, also appears to have been quite anti-Communist. It’s really difficult to know for certain what his intentions were but it looks more like he was just another liberal rather than a KGB infiltrator.

June 18, 2020 at 12:10 pm

Mary,

I have a confession to make. When I saw your name on the sidebar, I couldn’t think how it got there, because I presumed you were a newcomer. However, on checking my admin folder, there you are, large as life, so to speak, with a number of previous contributions on the record – all of them very good and even very kind and complimentary posts. So, thank you for that.

We’ve had quite a bit of trouble with someone not of your Christian disposition, as you’ve probably discovered on your tour of the blog in recent times, so please pray for that person. He poses under different names in an effort to get onto the blog (won’t work – he’s now blocked completely) but twice he has posted with a username designed to give the impression that he’s a priest. A particularly dark kind of deceit, it seems to me. One view is that he’s obsessed with this blog. Another is that he’s possessed. You pays your money and you takes your pick, as they say south of the border.

Anyway, I’m rambling again…

Thank you once more for your very interesting comments. But before I sign off, I remember you saying that one of the things you like about this blog is the sometime humour, so I think you’ll enjoy this wee joke… (for me, IN that age group, it’s no joke… believe me!)

June 17, 2020 at 6:51 pm
      • RCAVictor

I may have mentioned this before, but what do you make of an individual (or two) who repeatedly tries to access a blog from which he’s been blacklisted, by submitting comments similar in tone (o worse) than the comments which got him blacklisted!?

Perhaps you ought to offer the services of a psychiatrist as part of this apostolate…

(And an additional welcome to Mary W52 – I don’t remember her appearing here before, but my memory ain’t what it used to be.)

June 17, 2020 at 10:37 pm
      • maryw52

RCAVictor,

Thank you for your very kind welcome. I don’t blame you for not remembering me appearing before as, in spite of Editor very kindly calling me larger than life (is that a good thing?😀), in reality I have not not posted all that much at all as much I have wanted to.

I commented a little while ago that I very much like and appreciate the very erudite comments (and oftentimes very humorous exchanges) of Mdm Editor, Athanasius and your good self, and of course other commenters, on this my favourite blog. They are a coherent balm to me trying to make sense of this insane world of ours.

June 18, 2020 at 12:40 am

I’m actually at something of a loss to know what to make of those two individuals, at least one of whom suffers from MBUD ( Multiple Blog Username Disorder.)

I’ve come to agree more and more, however, with one of our regular bloggers who dismisses the very idea that this is caused by mental health issues; he’s not mad, he’s bad, is the theme.

Certainly, nobody who suffers from, say, depression and/or anxiety would have the energy for this kind of nonsense, so if there’s a mental health issue, it’s got to be something much more serious, something which changes a personality from one type to another. Not being qualified in that field, I’ll withhold my own personal opinion.

Suffice that we pray for this disordered personality, because, as you indicate, to press on submitting the very same kind of ridiculous comments that gets one blacklisted in the first place, is not exactly a sign of the highest intelligence, is it? Rhetorical question, of course…

I do sympathise with your memory problem. My memory isn’t what it used to be. And my memory isn’t what it used to be either 😀

June 18, 2020 at 9:05 am
  • Clare

I’ve just discovered this blog and I am reading various blogs with mounting horror. Yes, we are all Catholics, we are devastated by the terrible turn of events with this world-wide virus (did I really see someone call it the Chinese” virus???)… but where is the Christianity in all of this??

What I am reading here is the Catholicism of the Inquisition. Of the days when people were so brainwashed and afraid that they changed religion according to whomever was in power at the time. People who see themselves as judges of everyone else while applauding their own virtue.

Remember the word of Christ. Remember that you are Christians first and foremost.

I’m so sorry to find this blog to be written by fanatics and contributed to by sycophants.

You make me ashamed to be a Catholic.

Before you write in the name of Christ, think of His greatest and most basic message, “TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM TREAT YOU.”

I find no love or care for others in the blogs that I have read today.

June 17, 2020 at 10:40 am

Clare,

Apart from mentioning your horror that someone called this virus “the Chinese virus”, you give no specific examples of what it is you are criticising. That makes your comment nothing more than a rant.

So, let’s look at the one criticism that you specifically identify. Someone referred to this virus as “the Chinese virus”.

That is the norm – a virus/flu tends to be identified by its source.

Did you, for example, lodge complaints with the Equalities Commission, police or Government, about the fact that the Asian Flu was called the Asian Flu (which also originated in China) or the Spanish Flu, which didn’t actually originate in Spain but was called that all due to a misunderstanding – check it out for yourself, I forget the details. Well? Did you – or will you – complain about those “racist” ways of speaking about a virus?

Listen, I’m not going to claim NOT to be a racist – I’ve already gone into some details about that on the “Racist/Sin” thread but that was before I heard the American liberal (priceless) politician saying that if you hear yourself saying you’re not a racist, that is proof that you are a racist, so it looks like I’m a racist, after all.

I call this latest virus “the virus” because there isn’t any way anyone is not going to understand what I mean. Either that or “the miracle virus” since it has cured everything else – nobody dies of seasonal flu, any more, or heart attacks or strokes or even natural causes. Everyone is dying of “the virus”. What’s not to like?

So, a wee word of advice. If you are going to go onto any blog to complain about the content, then complain about the content, specifically. Don’t offer us sermons on Christian charity. At least, not until you can demonstrate that you are able to practise what you preach. I mean name calling? “Fanatics”? “Sycophants”?

As Our Lord teaches: “Let you yes mean yes, and your no mean no. Everything else comes from the Evil One.”

June 17, 2020 at 11:40 am

Claire

Your outrage is either feigned or the result of being a poorly formed Catholic with no real knowledge of Church history.

Emotional Catholicism, the “let’s all love each other and forget what is important for the soul” is about as Modernist as it gets, and I’m afraid your belief that this virus, the Chinese virus that came from a lab in Wuhan, is anything more than a bad flu politicised and used against free humanity, suggests that it is you, not we, who are “brainwashed”.

You’re not unique in this stupidity, for many other modern Catholics are equally brainwashed and superficial in their faith.

Can you give even a basic explanation of what the (Holy) Inquisition was about? Can you describe in Catholic terms what the Cardinal virtue of divine charity consists of? No, I guess you probably couldn’t because I suspect you only came here to cause trouble.

You’re own comment to us on this blog can hardly be read as remotely Christ like in its tone. That’s what exposed you immediately as a fake Christian.

June 17, 2020 at 11:59 am

Athanasius

I don’t think Clare can give a basic explanation of Catholicism, never mind the Inquisition.

I wonder how Christian is her view of President Trump. Would love to hear from her on this point.

June 17, 2020 at 7:33 pm
    • RCAVictor

Therese,

I suspect she views President Trump with “mounting horror.” Imagine the horror of a President trying to extricate America from the tentacles of global socialism! Imagine the horror of a President defending the unborn from the infanticide thugs and profiteers! Imagine the horror of a President who tells the truth about the professional liars in the media, and their fellow travelers in the Democrat Party! Imagine the horror of a President who wants every American to have a good job! Imagine the horror of a President who wants to close the borders to prevent the entry of drug dealers, gangsters, terrorists, welfare frauds and various unsavory characters! Imagine the horror of a President who tells leftist mayors and governors to take back their cities from fascist guerrillas!

My head is spinning from the horror of it all…I’m so triggered by all that microaggression, I need to find a safe space, some hot chocolate, and a stuffed animal…

June 17, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Therese

Somehow I don’t see Claire as having any kind of view on President Trump that would be truly Christian. If she believes the fake media about that virus and takes offence at someone calling it by its proper name, i.e., Chinese virus, then I’m fairly sure she will have swallowed the media propaganda against Trump.

June 17, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Clare is yet another troll – ignore her. Here’s some news about a previous troll or three – I’ve just posted it on another thread but decided it ought to be here for the record…

Replying to you on this thread

I wrote:

Well, I suspect that, at least in some cases, and for some reason Archbishop Tartaglia springs to mind, there will be a very deep-seated acceptance of the truth of what you have written. A combination of things – the collegiality nonsense, years of decay, the inability to say “I / we got it wrong” – is making it impossible for any of them to offer you the humble response which your letter, by its very nature demands.

However, forget the bishops, for a moment. I paid a visit, as is my wont, to the moderation file a short time ago, and found there yet another “new” blogger, this time called Mario, who, after condemning your letter as much too long and rude, went on to write over 400 words, all very rude! What a nut. But that’s not all. Guess what?

“Mario” is also Dan, and Anthony and… and… and… very loud drum roll….

Margo McGlashan! Remember her?
        https://catholictruthblog.com/2020/05/15/faithless-scots-bishops-to-keep-churches-closed-until-at-least-2021/#comments [this thread]

Yip, this is the same troll who very haughtily took me to task for posting an inaccurate headline: “…this blog headline is quite inaccurate, we have to be very careful about exaggerating the words of others. Shucks. Excuse me! Stand by for the end of the world!

In fact, this was nit-picking. Still, being of a humble ilk, I updated the post to confess my sin of not having read the original source properly and getting it wrong, even naming dear old “Margo” in gratitude. Response? There wasn’t one. Disruption work done for the time being, there was no “thank you – I appreciate that…” You kidding? That’s not what trolls do !

I’m now going to … go back to my admin file and block the above nutcases so that they have no chance of making it onto this blog – ever, again.

Idiot(s) !

PS – more than one person has expressed amazement at the obsession of these clowns with this blog, saying they’ve never known anything like it before. Me, neither. I participated in a blog discussion elsewhere a couple of weeks ago and it was made very clear to me that my presence was not welcome. I apologised for upsetting things, and promised not to return. I didn’t return (even though the blog administrator told me in an email that I was welcome to return – still, I didn’t. And haven’t even thought about it until now). So, I just do not understand the obsession with this blog by some bananas who – while desperate to publish here – hate us. I do not get it. Does anybody else? If so, spill…

June 19, 2020 at 12:28 am