Vatican “Nativity Scene” A Monstrosity – An Image of the Church Under Francis…

Vatican “Nativity Scene” A Monstrosity – An Image of the Church Under Francis…

Nativity scene from Saint Peter’s Square

ROME — The Vatican uncovered its 2020 manger scene in Saint Peter’s Square Friday, leaving onlookers scattered, scandalized, and scornful.

Observers shoveled abuse upon the unfortunate spectacle, rivaling each other to come up with the most appropriate epithets to describe the appalling scene.

“Mummified Mary,” “Weeble Jesus” (after the ovate children’s toys launched by Hasbro in the 1970s), “Martians,” “toilet paper rolls,” and “astronauts” were some of the comparisons made to the cylindrical figures meant to represent the Holy Family, the Magi, and the shepherds at Bethlehem.

Others saw in one ominous figure the helmeted image of “the Mountain” from the Game of Thrones television series, while another conjured up memories of the Robot from Lost in Space:

As one irate Italian wrote on social media of the Vatican manger scene, “Ugliness is the first thing you notice, followed by a lack of familial warmth and the distancing guaranteed by the cylindrical figures. If you wish to judge harshly, the cylinders call to mind the sacred poles of Satanic cults condemned in the Bible.”

Traditionally, a manger scene is intended to evoke feelings of piety and devotion — not pity and revulsion — over the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, and thus this particularly regrettable work offends not only aesthetic sensibilities, but also the religious reverence of the faithful.

The Vatican said the Nativity scene exhibited in St. Peter’s Square was created by the students and faculty of the FA Grue Art Institute, a state-run high school for design, which in the decade of 1965-1975 devoted its scholastic activity to the theme of Christmas.

“We believe that this year’s experience of a Nativity scene donated by an Artistic High School is really a powerful summons for everyone to invest more in the training of the new generations both at the level of middle and high schools and for the university world,” said Bishop Lorenzo Leuzzi in a statement guaranteed to garner broad consensus.

Elizabeth Lev, an American art historian living and teaching in Rome, told Breitbart News she thinks the choice was a poor one: “The Nativity celebrates the Incarnation, God who comes into the world as flesh, not in a totemic form,” Dr. Lev declared. “At the end of this extremely difficult year people are looking for beauty, for something to elevate, inspire, and unite them, and the scene offered in Saint Peter’s Square gives them something else altogether.”

“The misshapen figures in the Nativity scene lack all the grace, proportion, vulnerability, and luminosity that one looks for in the manger scene,” she said. “The entire point of this holiday is the second person of the Holy Trinity taking human form, born as a baby of flesh and blood, and there is nothing particularly human about the forms we see before us.”

“Context is also important and these works are surrounded by Bernini’s majestic colonnade, capped with the monumental figures of the saints, with Saint Peter’s Basilica in the background containing a thousand years of beautiful statuary,” Lev continued.

“It has been a dark year and many have had their faith challenged. Perhaps it would have been better to give them a symbol to rally round rather than an object of mockery,” she said. “This scene leads people to heap derision upon an icon representing the Holy Family. It is unfortunate we couldn’t find something to inspire at least tenderness if not full-on reverence.”

Moreover, Lev concluded, “In the context of last year’s polemics over the Pachamama statue, it seems ill considered to use images that will confuse people and further a sense of division.”    Source

Comment:

This latest scandal from Rome – the hideous, to put it mildly, “nativity scene” in St Peter’s Square, is a metaphor for the state of the Church today, under this horrendous pope.   I’m not a trained artist, of course, so maybe I’m missing something but I can see nothing beautiful or uplifting about this disgraceful “nativity scene” – can  you?  “Blasphemous” springs to mind. I see it as a monstrosity, ugly. Prove me wrong…

You just beat me to it – I came on to post a link and comment about this. Talk about hellish! I use hellish in the true sense, for that array of mock figures is straight from Hell proper. How much more will the prelates of the Church take before finally speaking out about this awful Pope.

December 12, 2020 at 12:20 am

Well, I would have missed it but for a reader who emailed the link to alert me. It’s truly disgraceful.

As for your concluding question – you definitely speak for all of us, there.

December 12, 2020 at 9:50 am
  • carlos10101

We don’t need to be trained artists to recognize crap when we see it. It’s hard to believe that this monstrosity is from the same Church that gave us da Vinci, Michaelangelo et al…

December 12, 2020 at 12:56 am

Carlos,

Or a Pope like Francis in a Church which gave us great Pope Saints like Pope Pius X

The mystery of iniquity writ large…

December 12, 2020 at 9:52 am
  • RCAVictor

I love Father Z’s reaction: “What the hell is this? Star Wars? He then elaborates:

I’m wondering several things: one, what warped clerical perceptive could possibly consider this monstrosity not only Catholic, but representative of a Nativity scene? Two, what bizarre mentality created these characterless figures? Three, what in the world is the “FA Grue Art Institute,” and why was their work from 1965-1975 chosen, 50 years later?

I just tried to find a link to this Institute, but it does not seem to exist online.

One more interesting thing: the decade from 1965 – 1975 was probably the period of the worst post-Vatican II chaos. That is, until the present pontificate. No wonder these pieces were chosen from that period – got to promote more chaos, confusion and disaffection from Holy Mother Church! Got to replace the Church with the New World Religion!

Not only has our hierarchy lost their Catholic Faith and identity, they have lost contact with reality.

December 12, 2020 at 2:51 am
  • RCAVictor

BTW, Ed, that image you posted is of these stick figures in a studio. The Father Z commentary shows them on location, and it’s even worse, if you can imagine that.

December 12, 2020 at 2:53 am

I have never watched Star Wars but I got the idea, especially after listening to the suggested “hymn” – priceless. Sad but priceless. Under the video Fr Z said it all, perfectly: “To my mind this just about sums up the contribution of the Holy See to the world this year.”

Never was “spot on” more appropriate.

December 12, 2020 at 9:48 am
  • Love Alone

Reblogged this on Nelson MCBS // Love Alone.

December 12, 2020 at 7:53 am

LA,

Thank you.

December 12, 2020 at 9:53 am
      • Love Alone

Welcome…

December 12, 2020 at 6:11 pm
  • Theresa Rose

That is the most appalling sight I have seen today. Athanasius tells it as it is ‘For that array of mock figures is straight of hell proper’.

Absolutely hideous. How dare they a produce that, in mockery of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ. It is bad enough that the faculty and students of the FA Grue Art Institute produced it. That was not art be any means of description.

But, that it was allowed to be placed in Saint Peter’s Square is far worse. An appalling error was if ever there was one.

December 12, 2020 at 11:37 am

Theresa Rose,

I agree – it really is an appalling sight. How anyone can see it in a good light, is just beyond belief.

December 16, 2020 at 11:18 am
  • RCAVictor

I think the key word here is “mockery.” I suppose, given last year’s display (was it last year, or before that?) of a homosexually suggestive half naked male should have prepared us for this, but really, is anyone ever really prepared for what hell has to offer?

And speaking of mockery, we Catholics are all too familiar with the go-to dialectical tactic of hell when it comes to Our Lord and His Church.

I’m probably skating on thin theological ice here, but it seems clear, and the evidence has been mounting almost daily since 2013, that this pontificate is straight from hell. Never mind the “smoke of Satan.” What about outright demonic possession?

December 12, 2020 at 4:05 pm

RCAVictor

Well, we have to ask ourselves where people stand in terms of their souls when they are attracted to ugliness. We see the beauty of the works of the great masters in the Vatican; Michelangelo, Raphael, Da Vinci, etc., created in a time of great faith, and compare them with that hideous display put on by the red Pope. Kind of tells its own story really.

December 12, 2020 at 5:54 pm
  • John Rayner

This “nativity” is the worst abomination imaginable. Sadly I can only say that I feel nothing but repulsion at this monstrosity….and it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

December 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Contrast this Christmas message and final carol verse from President Trump with the “message” coming from the Vatican via this obnoxious “artwork”.

President Trump quotes the faulty translation (Our Lady being “most highly favoured” instead of “full of grace) but then he’s not a Catholic – the Pope is [supposed to be] one…

December 12, 2020 at 7:17 pm
  • Elizabeth

Utterly shocking. I don’t imagine that many Italian children will be taken to see that so-called crib…it would give them nightmares! If Pope Francis approved that then he is even worse than I imagined.

December 12, 2020 at 8:04 pm
  • Patrick Healy

Dear Editor,

What could I write to entice me out of my blogging hiatus, but disgust at this desecration of our loved nativity scenes?
    Then today our Holy Father and his acolyte Cardinal Turksen come out with a global warming diatribe which moves the Vatican even closer to the gates of hell right up there with our prime minister Boorish Corbyn .
    I am so tired of it all I cannot even begin to try and link to it over at Breitbart.com/europe.

December 12, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Here’s an interesting commentary on another Francis scandal – his book “Let Us Dream” which Dr Taylor Marshall categorises as “The Catholic Reset” – it’s just beyond belief. He uses Build Back Better, the World Economic Forum slogan (taken up by Joe Biden, and now Pope Francis). Thus, not least since Pope Francis has already said that there is no “Catholic God”, I feel no compunction is saying that clearly, self-evidently, we do not have a Catholic Pope! Talk about stating the blankety blank obvious!

December 12, 2020 at 10:57 pm
    • Faith of Our Fathers

Ed you have probably read this Revelation from Jesus Christ to Saint Bridget long before I stumbled upon it . The Revelation says that–Those Who Are Already Condemned–Prayers for THEM will not be answered .Now I hope and Pray to God that am not in that Category .But without a Doubt ( according to the scriptures and Saints ) this Man who would be Pope keeps good company with Soros and Sachs 2 of the most Evil Human Beings on Planet Earth . And one can tell lots about a Person by The Company He keeps . Soros himself has publicly said he is an ardent Atheistic Pagan, as for Sachs he is exactly the same . Two men who frequent the Vatican by invitation by The Man who would be Pope .The question now really is, what category does this Apostate Pope fall into .

December 13, 2020 at 10:59 am
  • Lionel

QUELLE HORREUR!

December 12, 2020 at 11:18 pm
  • RCAVictor

I thought I would try to soothe our bruised sensus fidelium by posting an image of what a real Nativity Scene should look like:

December 12, 2020 at 11:59 pm

RCAVictor

That’s more like it!

December 13, 2020 at 1:24 am
  • Faith of Our Fathers

Is this a Surprise from this terrible man who would be called Pope ,and don’t let Him come out and Lie and say he knows nothing about this Horrendous Hellish Garbage .Were I on another Site my Language to this Pagan THING would be a lot stronger, just how low is this Man who would be Pope going to stoop .Am certainly no Artist Either and neither are the ones who made this as a so called Nativity Scene . I personally look on it as being a Buddhist Nativity Scene and if am not mistaken Buddhists don’t celebrate Christmas. Neither it seems does this Non Catholic Pope .

December 13, 2020 at 10:33 am

FOOF,

Well said! Every word a jewel! I couldn’t agree more.

December 13, 2020 at 7:22 pm
  • crofterlady December 13, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Crofterlady,

Watched the video and it is all very interesting, but I’m a little surprised that Michael Matt doesn’t appear to interpret the Great Reset claim to build back capitalism better (or however it’s phrased) as – in fact – Communism… It’s a diabolically clever ruse to use the term “capitalism” so none of us should miss the opportunity to call this “new” capitalism by its real name – Communism.

I’m sure Michael Matt has said that in other videos, but I’m a little surprised he’s omitted it here.

Pope Francis is an utter disgrace. I’d dearly love to see the terms of the agreement he’s (shockingly) signed with China. He really puts Judas Iscariot in the shade.

Michael Matt seems to be struggling to remain “polite” about Francis… Can’t think why…

December 14, 2020 at 12:39 am
  • RCAVictor

Does anyone else find it odd – to say the least – that there is not the slightest trace of an “FA Grue Art Institute” anywhere on the internet? The only mention I can find is from the Vatican’s statement of where this abomination came from.

December 13, 2020 at 11:39 pm

I’ve just Googled FA Grue Art Institute and nothing of that name, or close to it, comes up. That IS odd.

I can only find it mentioned on the Vatican News site

I’ve only checked two pages on Bing but neither is showing any art institute of that name. Very strange, indeed.

December 14, 2020 at 12:12 am
    • Val

I believe it is called “rewriting history”. Critical things always seem to disappear.
      That is why we need gatekeepers and watchmen, true shepherds and yet we have few who seem to stand

December 15, 2020 at 5:11 pm
  • mary

The aim of postmodernist “art” is to demoralise us. All part of the marxist 4 part plan to bring down Western civilisation
    The late Yuri Beznemov , former KGB,describes ithis process in his you tubes.
    Ugliness lies and evil replacing Goodness Beauty and Truth
    Truly satanic.

December 14, 2020 at 10:01 am
    • RCAVictor

Mary,

That’s an excellent point. The same principle holds for modern classical music, which tried to embrace the grating ugliness of the 12-tone system as “high art.” Thankfully, that failed, but I think it has been replaced by what I would call “elevator music” – i.e. mindless repetition of small tonal patterns. This tends to have a hypnotic effect on the listener.

December 14, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Mary

Absolutely spot on – that’s how Communism works.

December 14, 2020 at 4:13 pm
  • Erika

I absolutely agree. Blasphemous and satanic. Unfortunately I didn’t expect anything better from this Pope…

December 14, 2020 at 1:54 pm
    • Michaela

Erika (& everbody)

I agree, as well – that hideous crib is blasphemous and satanic, and I’ve come to not expect anything better from Francis. The headline is right – that crib is an image of the Church under this pope – a monstrosity. To think what he has done to the Spotless Bride of Christ, the Church.

December 14, 2020 at 9:05 pm