General Discussion (18)…

General Discussion (18)…

If there’s something of interest in the news that’s not covered in one of the topic threads, or you have a question to ask, a comment you’d like to make about anything under the sun, more or less, this is the thread for you.

However, please check first, to ensure that you haven’t missed a topic thread or another thread where it would be appropriate to post your comment, as the GD discussion threads fills up very quickly.

Readers, all too often, go straight to the General Discussion thread to post news that is already the topic of a thread or to ask a question that is already being discussed elsewhere. So, do your Sherlock Holmes – at the very least check the side-bar – before posting here, please and thank you! Your “news” may simply be a different angle on a subject already under discussion, so do, please check before posting your comment here. OR it would be helpful if you could check out the most recent thread on that subject, in case it is still open. In which case, your comment would be best placed there.

Feel free, also, to share your favourite spiritual reading books, prayers and devotions on this thread. Whatever. Enjoy!

To read previous General Discussion threads, click on the links below –  (1) = first General Discussion thread…

(1) click here (2) click here (3) click here (4) click here (5) click here
(6) click here (7) click here (8) click here (9) click here (10) click here
(11) click here (12) click here (13) click here (14) click here (15) click here
(16) click here
(17) click here

• Victor Reply

Pope Benedict XVI Says Vatican II Was Initiated Because of the “Error in the Case of Galileo”

May be old news but this is the first time I heard of this! In context of the alleged statement of the Third Secret of Fatima and the wicked council.

July 12, 2021 at 10:11 pm
    • editor Reply

Victor,

I don’t have time to read the article properly but as soon as I saw the name of the author of the piece – Robert Sungenis – I more or less wrote it off.

A man who could write (correctly) that the Consecration of Russia has not been done, and the Third Secret not fully revealed and then – when things worsen dramatically – change his mind to proclaim the opposite… well, this is not a man whom I would trust to tell me it was raining, if he turned up on my front doorstep, drenched and with his brolly dripping.

July 12, 2021 at 10:19 pm
      • Victor

Ah, I wasn’t aware of that of the author’s flip flops! I was mostly interested in Benedict’s farewell address to priests quoted in the document which I’d never heard. Published in L’Osservatore Romano which has since gone to subscription-only access but I’ve found it reposted in full on another site in the Italian. Here’s the main quote from Benedict on Vatican II that got my interest:

. . . we knew that the relationship between the Church and the modern period was a bit in conflict, beginning with the error of the Church in the case of Galileo Galilei; we thought we could correct this wrong beginning and find the union between the Church and the best forces in the world . . .

July 12, 2021 at 10:43 pm
  • wendy walker Reply

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9781507/Parents-disgust-Labour-council-hires-actor-rainbow-coloured-monkey-costume-fake-penis.html#comments……..please note shocking photograph but this is reality at what is being foisted on poor little children ..unbelievable

July 13, 2021 at 11:53 am
  • Santiago Reply

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I’ve been adding my signature to a lot of online petitions against abortion, LGBT education in schools, satanism, etc, etc . I’ve been receiving a lot of really nasty sexually explicit spam and wonder if this is just a coincidence?

July 14, 2021 at 10:53 am
    • westminsterfly Reply

Santiago
      I’ve had a similar problem. I can’t say any of it’s been sexual in content – it’s mainly just scam / spam stuff – but I’ve been bombarded recently. These General Data Protection Regulations that were mandated by the EU (and we’re still lumbered with) just don’t seem to work. There’s always a way round these things. I still get spam letters through the door, but now just addressed to ‘The Occupant’ instead of my name. Apparently, this is quite legal.
      There have been instances of mega-hacks recently where millions of people’s names, email addresses, passwords and details have been harvested by hackers. You may have been in one of those data breaches. You can check if your email address has been the subject of a data breach here:- https://haveibeenpwned.com

July 14, 2021 at 12:33 pm
      • Santiago

Thank you for that info – very helpful.

July 14, 2021 at 1:05 pm
    • editor Reply

Santiago,

I’ve signed lots of petitions on pro-life and other moral issues and I can’t say I’ve ever been inundated with such material – Deo gratias, and hope I’m not speaking too soon.

July 14, 2021 at 5:57 pm
      • Santiago

Glad to hear that you haven’t been subjected to anything like this. I’ll keep on signing the petitions!!

July 14, 2021 at 7:28 pm
  • westminsterfly Reply

Great news! The incomparably brilliant trilogy of books on Fatima by Frere Michel de la Sainte Trinite ‘The Whole Truth About Fatima’ are now back on line, and can be found here. https://fatima.machado-family.com These books are a mine of information.

July 15, 2021 at 10:31 am
  • westminsterfly Reply

Please be aware of a scam that is trying to look like the genuine apostolate LifeSite News. They are sending emails out and if you click on any of the links, it tries to download a trojan virus. Fortunately, my Norton antivirus picked up on it and blocked the site. DON’T click on or open any emails from news@lifenews.com Just to clarify – these emails are not from LifeSite news, which is a genuine apostolate.

July 18, 2021 at 11:36 am
  • RCAVictor Reply

Any of you bloggers heard of “Common Purpose”? It was cited in a Pat Condell video on “hate speech,” so I looked it up:

Here’s the transcript of Condell’s video:

July 24, 2021 at 5:57 pm
    • Athanasius Reply

RCAVictor

Very interesting – the first time I’ve heard of this “Common Purpose” lot. Note the abbreviation “CP”, not a million miles from CCP! Sounds like Communist/Masonic infiltration into every aspect of national life with reminiscences of the Vatican II operation.

I can’t connect to the transcript you linked, something to do with website signature verification. No matter, I learned all I need to know from the Wikileaks link.

July 24, 2021 at 11:42 pm
  • gabriel syme Reply

Several very concerning incidents for Catholics in Scotland in recent days:

St Simons Church in Partick (Glasgow) has burned down:
    (reminiscent of recent attacks on Canadian Churches).

A priest was attacked by a bottle in St Marys Cathedral, Edinburgh. In a prolonged incident, the priest was attacked after being asked to confirm that he was a priest; the priest was ultimately forced to defend himself using a chair as a weapon.

Sacred Heart Church, Bridgeton, Glasgow, has suffered repeated vandalism. This has not even made the news seemingly.

Had any one of these incidents targeted Muslims in Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon would be all over it- press conferences etc, you name it. But not a peep from her here.

July 28, 2021 at 10:09 am
    • editor Reply

Gabriel Syme,

Thank you for posting that news – none of which I’d heard.

St Simon’s is the church where a couple of the CT team attended a “gay” Mass, reported in the newsletter. So that is of particular interest. Sacred Heart, Bridgeton, too, made the newsletter front page.

I haven’t yet read the report about the priest being attacked in the Cathedral in Edinburgh – shocking.

As you say, had this news been about the Muslim community Nicola Sturgeon would have been vocal in the media.

And to think a few short years ago she was invited to address a Conference on Catholic Education. We live in incredible times.

July 28, 2021 at 10:50 am
  • crofterlady Reply July 28, 2021 at 3:06 pm
  • Antoine Bisset Reply

A Catholic Church was ablaze in Glasgow yesterday.
    In France a Catholic Church is set ablaze every week, by muslims.

July 28, 2021 at 9:58 pm
    • Lily Reply

A man has been arrested for the attack on the Edinburgh priest, so that’s something.

July 28, 2021 at 10:07 pm
  • westminsterfly Reply

The new full-length Archbishop Lefebvre movie is free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9oy7wDkms

July 30, 2021 at 11:37 am
  • Catherine Reply

Dear Editor and Bloggers,

I would like to ask if this blog would consider adding another permanent thread for Catechism and Apologetics as one topic for people who want to ask questions and discuss the various topics instead of going on the general thread.. I think it would be very useful for many people,. In my case, I would like to teach my children catechism and later apologetics with more confidence. I often have many questions, it would be useful if my young adult students or myself can post a question and discuss it. This will help us also to prepare ourselves to defend the faith better, when family and friends ask us questions we struggle to answer. I know we could use the general thread but if it was a dedicated thread, other people, e.g. homeschoolers may already have asked it and the answer will be easy to find. May be this would be of interest to others already on the blog but even people looking for catechism answers will find this blog when they search these questions, and hopefully become more informed and it may even help to convert people. I definitely think it would be easier than on the general thread. I would be grateful if the editor would consider this idea.

July 30, 2021 at 1:21 pm
    • editor Reply

Catherine,

I know that sounds like a great idea but believe me, if home-schoolers and others keen to learn about the Faith were that interested, they’d be here right now.

I’m not keen to post another “sticky” thread (in fact, not sure I would know how on this new site!) but you are always welcome to post questions on this GD thread and one of us will attempt to respond.

I will, however, keep your request in mind and maybe in the future, there will be an opportunity to do something along the lines which you suggest. For now, though, you have both the GD thread and the Pro-Life thread. Feel free to ask anything on either of those threads – and you can always use the topic threads when appropriate, as well.

My worry now is that I’ll be removed from your Christmas card list… 😀