Priest: Pope Francis is not a liberal – (he’s) a Catholic conservative”… Gimme a BREAK!

From BBC (5 hours ago)…

Pope Francis has begun a four-day visit to Slovakia, the first papal visit to the country in 18 years.

Typically, he’s going out of his way to embrace the most excluded members of society – he’ll tour a homeless shelter and also visit the impoverished Roma minority in Slovakia’s far east.  But the pastoral, of course, is never far from the political.

“This trip is… very pleasing for us Slovaks,” said analyst Imrich Gazda. “It’s very encouraging, but it’s also very surprising,” he said as we sat opposite the Presidential Palace in the capital Bratislava.

“We’re asking the question again and again – why did he decide to come and spend four days here? There have been various hints but no real explanation. Maybe he himself will tell us the answer.”

It’s fair to say the pontiff’s relatively long Slovak visit – 70 hours, compared to the seven hours he spent on a brief stopover in Hungary – has produced not just pleasure but puzzlement, even among Catholics.

Gazda, who writes on Catholic matters for the conservative online daily Postoj, agreed with those Vatican commentators who think Pope Francis is sending a subtle message.

Hungary is home to fiery nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orban, with whom Pope Francis has clashed on whether Europe should accept asylum seekers, especially from the Muslim world.

In the past, some of the PM’s supporters in Hungary have mocked the Pope as “anti-Christian” for his comments on helping refugees.

At a Sunday Mass in Hungary, Pope Francis alluded to the issue, saying: “The cross, planted in the ground, not only invites us to be well-rooted, it also raises and extends its arms towards everyone.”

He made those comments after meeting Mr Orban for about 40 minutes at a museum in Budapest.

In contrast, the Pope received a red-carpet welcome when he met with Slovakia’s female president, Zuzana Caputova, at the Presidential Palace on Monday morning.

A former lawyer and environmental campaigner, she is a liberal (and Catholic) politician who uses far more tolerant and inclusive language when talking about such things as LGBT rights or refugees.   Click here to read more – most notably the following comment from a priest:

“In my opinion Pope Francis is definitely not a traditionalist, but he is definitely not a liberal,” he told the BBC.

“I think he is the right Catholic conservative that I think a Catholic conservative is supposed to be.”

Editor writes…

Yeah right!

• larry trasciatti Reply

I understand the habit of referring to people as liberal or conservative , but the right distinction is between heterodoxy and orthodoxy. As long as he’s orthodox, we should be so happy

September 13, 2021 at 4:15 pm
    • editor Reply

O yes, Larry – we’d happily settle for “orthodox”. If only!

September 13, 2021 at 4:17 pm
    • Lily Reply

Larry Trasciatti,

Since there’s a hint of “orthodoxy” in “heterodoxy” I wouldn’t use it to describe this pope. I think he’s completely lost the faith, i.e. he’s an unbeliever. I can’t think of a word to use for that, at least not one that’s printable, LOL!

September 13, 2021 at 7:12 pm
      • larry trasciatti

Lily, He’s too controversial for me but I’m not knowledgeable enough to figure out whats’ going on

September 13, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Larry,

None of us can “figure out what’s going on” without knowledge of the Fatima apparitions – the most important event of the 20th century which will remain so until the Fatima Message is fulfilled.

Our Lady foretold the “diabolical disorientation” to come in the Church and the world – and so it has come to pass. It will continue until the very first nation to publicly deny the existence of God in its governance, is given back to God in a solemn consecration, as requested through the Fatima seer in 1917 and again, formally, in 1929.

That God sent Him Mother to forewarn us of what was to come, should be sufficient to keep us sane during the madness around us.

Our Lady also foretold that Communism would spread to every country in the world. Until now, that seemed quite a stretch to most of us. Not any more. It’s actually happening. We are living through it.

September 13, 2021 at 10:04 pm
  • Faith of Our Fathers Reply

I would settle for this Man just to be a Catholic. I am a sinner but I know right from wrong. I also know that The Ten Commandments were set in Stone for a reason. A reason that nearly any Schooled Catholic Child would be able to tell Bergoglio. Yet He begs to differ. Personally I don’t think that Bergoglio would make a good Protestant. The Hungarian President according to Church Militant wasn’t long with Him anyhow , and more or less told Bergoglio where he could send His Muslims to .
    Like most on Here The Humble Bergoglio fools none of us, if He does then your on the wrong page . So Humble a Man, yet Would sell out Catholicism to the Highest Bidder. In this case it’s the Chinese.

I know not if He’s Still accompanying Sour Pous Greta to Scotland this Year. The Two of them are well suited to each other . Personally Bergoglio was off my Christmas List many years ago .
    Of course am sure that am certainly not on His . Forby the So Called Lavender Mafia Catholics. I don’t think many other Catholics are . Conservative , my God He is a Marxist at best and a Communist at worst . Sorry for the Paragraph gap. 😭 O and just as a P. S . Had I not Family here and Responsibilities Hungary would be My Choice of Country to Live in .

September 13, 2021 at 7:01 pm
    • Laura Reply

Faith of our Fathers,

“I would settle for this man to be a Catholic” – LOL! I agree!

September 14, 2021 at 1:44 pm
  • Lily Reply

Who wants to be called a liberal when so called liberals are the most intolerant of all people. That’s why the description fits Francis perfectly. He is so intolerant of Catholics who adhere to the traditional Catholic faith. He’s a walking disaster.

September 13, 2021 at 7:08 pm
  • Faith of Our Fathers Reply

Of course He is intolerant, and we know it’s because He’s not, nor probably ever has been a Catholic. I read that Article on the BBC until it got to where it said– When Did Francis Become a Movie Star — and that to tell you the Truth was enough for me . Who knows, does anyone have any idea if He’s going to Act in Rocketman 2 . Like maybe Kiss Elton Johns Boots instead of His Moslem Buddies Boots .
    One thing is for certain The Mans A Legend, even some Catholics ( whom before I would have said knew the Faith ) think He’s the best thing since sliced Bread . They go on about how Humble a Man He is ( what a Joke that is ) about How He doesn’t like the Limelight ( even worse ) . Then I say to them do you know anything about Bergoglio and McCarrick. ” Who’s McCarrick most of them say ” Then of course most of them really go overboard about How Bergoglio helped get Rid of Bad Orangeman. As for Bergoglio and China they know NOTHING.
    O BTW . That’s the First Article av read on the Rotten BBC for Months. It certainly didn’t disappoint. It was as bad as the last one .

September 13, 2021 at 10:16 pm
  • RCAVictor Reply

Ah yes, the 100% subjective and thus meaningless opinion: perfect promo for a PR Pope.

September 13, 2021 at 10:19 pm
  • Athanasius Reply

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Pope Francis, whatever else he may be, is certainly not orthodox. This is the Pope, remember, who said that atheists are not excluded from heaven and who washed the feet of a Muslim woman during the Mandatum on Maunday Thursday. He also has a picture on the wall of his office depicting Our Lord embracing the reprobate Judas Iscariot, as if to symbolise that even Judas went to heaven. No, he certainly cannot be accused of being orthodox. And remember the pachamama outrage? I’m not even sure he’s Christian!

September 13, 2021 at 11:33 pm