Happy Thanksgiving… And God Bless America!

Happy Thanksgiving… And God Bless America!

I found Chris Salcedo’s explanation of the origins of the Thanksgiving holiday very interesting indeed.

As you watch the video, those among us who may have been wondering to whom, or for what, Americans give thanks every November, will find themselves saying… Really?!$*  when the answer is revealed, followed by a profound WOW!

I thoroughly enjoyed the above video and I hope you do, as well.   Feel free to discuss any relevant issues, and to post anything which is a tribute to the USA, whether songs, clips from old films (“movies”!) or jokes.  As long  as it’s good clean fun, it’s welcome here.  Enjoy!

This thread is launched in tribute to our American bloggers who comment here from time to time, and most especially our regular, leading contributor, RCA Victor.  He educates us and entertains us in equal measure, so to you, especially, RCA Victor… Happy Thanksgiving!

Finally, we wish all our American readers and visitors to this site, a very Happy Thanksgiving, 2021 – God bless you all, and, of course…

God bless America!

I’m not American, but I do love this beautiful American song…

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2021 at 12:48 am
    • Josephine

That’s a really rousing song! It must make Americans who hold to Judaeo-Christian values proud – atheists not so much, LOL!

November 25, 2021 at 12:45 pm
  • Michaela

Michael Matt at The Remnant made a video in 2013 about the first Thanksgiving where a TLM was offered. It’s really fascinating, especially when he gets to the bit where Obama edited the mention of God out of a speech he was quoting. What a dishonest man!

November 25, 2021 at 10:36 am

Michaela,

Thank you for that – a very interesting addition to what we already know about the origins of Thanksgiving, with a Catholic slant.

November 25, 2021 at 1:18 pm
  • Josephine

Happy Thanksgiving to RCA Victor!

Before the last election which returned (or did it?!) Joe Biden, I’d be saying we ought to ALL give thanks for America and its founders but watching what is going on now, makes me think again.

Bring back Donald Trump!

November 25, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Josephine,

Don’t ask me why, but your comment reminded me of the story of the Scots boy (we’ll call him Jock) who moved to New York. Once he’d settled in, his mother calls him and she asks how he finds the Americans. Horrible, he says. They always yell and scream. He said he hates how they pound on the walls and stomp the floors. Oh dear, she says, how do you get by? I just relax in bed, playing my bagpipes, Jock replies. πŸ˜€

A classic case of a major lack of self-awareness – not to mention musical taste πŸ˜€

November 25, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in America who is reading this, LOL!

Special happy wishes to RCA Victor whose comments on this blog are always helpful.

November 25, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I meant to mention also Margaret USA who always gives me information I didn’t know about the Byzantine rite liturgy!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Margaret USA!

November 25, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Lily,

Many thanks for mentioning Margaret USA – although an occasional contributor, she is a long-standing blogger here, been popping in occasionally over a period of years.

A little more recently we’ve also had wonderful commentary from Marinaio, our American friend who runs the Tradidi Quod et Accepi blog. He has kept us informed, especially on the subject of the vaccine/SSPX concerns.

Happy Thanksgiving to each one!

I expect they’re all too busy either preparing the festivities or tucking into eatables to think about us, we poor Scots – or should that be “us, poor wee Scots” – living in fear, although we’re not too sure if we should be more afraid of the virus or the Loch Ness Monster πŸ˜€

Whatever, I hope they all have a lovely day. Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

November 25, 2021 at 1:24 pm
      • Marinaio

What?! Editor, are you implying that there is no such thing as the Loch Ness Monster? What a week! First, at the Monday morning Immaculate Conception Academy high school Mass, we learned in a sermonette from our controversy-loving SSPX priest that Thanksgiving is Protestant and that we need to be careful about giving thanks. Now the Loch Ness Monster!

Well, seriously, of the two, we were more concerned about the brief indoctrination we received on Monday morning. Father’s point was that the most important thing for which to give thanks is stated in the Gloria — for God’s “great glory”. After making that nice theological point, Father reminded us that Puritans placed significance on their fundamental belief that possessions and prosperity were signs of God’s favor on an individual. Making the jump to the holiday of Thanksgiving, he reminded us in advance that we really would be participating in a Protestant holiday ritual when we sit down on Thanksgiving Day to a big turkey dinner. “Not Catholic!,” he proclaimed. First, we have his argument that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is more hateful to God than abortion, now this. One wonders what else those young Catholic men are learning (or not learning) in their school.

The fact is, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two truly religious holidays we have in America. The Left wishes to destroy the significance of both — Thanksgiving because of the standard
        we-killed-the-Indians nonsense (and the fact that to give thanks, one must necessarily be giving thanks to someone, like, say, a Supreme Being who gives us all good and perfect things), and Christmas for obvious reasons. They have largely succeeded in reducing Christmas to a mercantile holiday, the celebration of which begins far too early, and ends far too soon. But Thanksgiving?

We had better give thanks to Almighty God for all He has given us — in fact many Catholics say that short prayer after meals — “We give thee thanks, Almighty God, for all Thy gifts and benefits . . .” I wonder what Father thinks of that? And do we not believe that thanksgiving is one of the four great ends of the Mass (adoration, propitiation, thanksgiving, and petition)? One wonders if these young priests who tear down our revered institutions are trying to jockey for position in the SSPX as the new Richard Williamson for the “most controversial” cleric award. We especially resent their America-bashing indoctrination of our youth.

So, thank you, dear Editor, for setting the record straight with the lead-in video. (Thanks as well for the Irving Berlin song, God Bless America.) And a big thank-you to all of our correspondents on Catholic Truth who send us here in America their best wishes. May we always be grateful for all that God has given us. To paraphrase, Chesterton, gratitude is one of the greatest virtues we ought to have. As we sit down today to thank Almighty God for all his gifts and benefits which we truly do not deserve of any merit of our own, we will think of all of you, and ask His blessings on you.

November 25, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Marinaio,

Thank you for that beautiful comment – albeit initially bearing news of not-so-great tidings.

“Thanksgiving” = Protestant? really? That priest needs to explain why, then, Our Lord made clear, so publicly, his displeasure when only one of the 10 lepers He healed returned to give thanks. You have given other excellent examples of precisely how Catholic it is to give thanks – Grace Before & After Meals is a very traditional Catholic custom. That SSPX priest (and goodness knows how many others, as you intimate) has been very poorly taught if he thinks it is some kind of Protestant innovation to give thanks to God for all He does for us, in His Divine Providence. Goodness, me! No, what is an innovation (and one which I’m told many Protestants reject) is the belief that it is acceptable to (falsely) teach that abortion-tainted injections are morally acceptable. That priest and his ilk need to stop worrying about turkey dinners with all the trimmings, and reflect on the serious scandal they are causing by peddling this error. If it wouldn’t cause you trouble with him, feel free to send him the link to this thread.

As a retired teacher of religious education, I feel particularly angry that this nonsense was preached in a Catholic school. When I’m asked by concerned parents if they should try to drum up the funds to send their children to the SSPX school in England, I always say “no” – home-school them yourself. They’re just not 100% spiritually, religiously and morally safe anywhere these days. How sad. I’d dearly love to be able to say the opposite.

Again, Marinaio, thank you for your informative comment and your beautiful concluding blessing on us on all here in Loch Ness Monster land… And of course Nessie exists … she lives in Edinburgh, renamed The First Minister of Scotland πŸ˜€

Seriously… well, kinda. Here’s evidence for Nessie’s existence. The majority of Americans in this video clip don’t doubt it for a second…

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Marinaio,

I was so taken by that priest’s statement about thanksgiving, that I’ve done a bible search and right away found two times when St Paul teaches us that God want us to be thankful.

Firstly, “In all things give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all.”
        (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

Also, β€œAnd let the peace of Christ rejoice in your hearts, wherein also you are called in one body. And be ye thankful.” (Colossians 3:15)

You can tell that priest that those quotes are right out of my Douay Rheims bible!

November 25, 2021 at 10:57 pm
  • RCAVictor

I’ve just interrupted my hectic Thanksgiving Day schedule, slaving over a hot computer, to give thanks for the best Catholic blog on the internet…just in case anyone thinks this blog is a turkey… πŸ™‚

…and a great speech by Chris Salzedo/Rush Limbaugh, making the truth great again…

I will be celebrating the occasion with some old SSPX friends, but I will have to adopt a case of willful amnesia regarding Marinaio’s latest revelation about some of their poorly informed priests. God help us.

There is a darker side to this “American greatness” that has nothing to do with the Indians, but I’ll leave it alone for now and wager that Athanasius knows exactly what I’m referring to. Let’s just say it has to do with Queen Elizabeth’s “Speech to the Troops at Tilbury” just before they engaged the Spanish Armada in 1588.

November 25, 2021 at 4:58 pm

What a really brilliant tribute from you to this humble blog. I take it the cheque/check arrived? πŸ˜€

Your mention of Athanasius prompts me to explain that his absence from the blog today is purely due to matters beyond his control. He’d be here if he possibly could. Mysterious? Me? Moi? Never! πŸ˜€

Enjoy the rest of the day and I have to say, there is some injustice in the fact that you have more of it left over there, than do we (us wee Scots) over here, where it’s already gone 6pm. πŸ˜€

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in America! Have a wonderful day!

November 25, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this Thanksgiving conversation – I hope our American friends had a wonderful day.

This thread is now closed to comments.

God bless America!