Will You Give Up A False Apparition For Lent?

Will You Give Up A False Apparition For Lent?

Editor writes…

It is difficult to keep up with the new “apparitions” across the globe.  The latest craze, I’m told, is the “Divine Will” – click here for more on that…

St Paul did warn the Church of the danger of such distractions, when he charged Timothy the first Bishop of Ephesus, to preach the Faith in season and out of season and to “…reprove, entreat, and rebuke in all patience and doctrine. For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. And they will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables… be thou vigilant.” (2 Timothy 4:2-5)

There are, of course, visits from Heaven which have been investigated thoroughly by the Church authorities and pronounced “worthy of belief” – click here to find a list of such approved apparitions and to read about the Catholic attitude to both approved and unapproved apparition sites. Note: the link opens at the Fatima apparition, so you need to scroll up to read the introduction.

The Devil knows how to use trickery to capture souls and mislead them – even performing supposed “miracles”. The world at the present time is in turmoil.  God has not left us to sink or swim, but He has, indeed, sent Our Lady to forewarn us, and to provide us with extra-sacramental spiritual weaponry in order to further strengthen us.  We need all the help we can get!  The Fatima Message not only forewarns and arms us spiritually, but provides the solution to ending the current turmoil by converting Russia – the first nation ever to publicly disown the very existence of God, hence the need to give it back to God through the requested Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The Fatima event is unique. Pope John Paul II said that the Message of Fatima imposes an obligation on the Church (Sermon, Fatima, May 13 1982).  It cannot be dismissed, then, as a private revelation; appearances to individuals with various requests and exhortations to holiness, is not something any of us is required to believe. If approved by the Church authorities we may, if we choose, believe such a manifestation and engage in any associated devotions, visit any associated shrines.  Fatima, however, is different – it is classed as a public, prophetic apparition, given both the gravity of the Message, intended for the whole Church (and thus the world), and the public miracle, witnessed by over 70,000 people in one place, and around 20,000 some miles away.  Reported in the secular press at the time, with atheists converting to the Faith on the spot, there is no question of its authenticity.

It is painful, therefore, to watch otherwise faithful Catholics fall prey to the unapproved (and some patently false) apparitions doing the rounds.  If you are one of those Catholics, adhering to an unapproved apparition, will you – in the light of the danger of a possible Third World War, most assuredly a nuclear war – give up that unapproved/false apparition for Lent?  Are you willing to offer up any disappointment, doubt or deprivation you may experience in this regard, for the fulfilment of God’s will through the Consecration of Russia, as a matter of urgency?  If not, why not?  Why would you want to risk continuing to be misled by the Devil?  Don’t you really believe the Fatima Message? If so, click here.

Our Lady of Fatima, pray for  us!  Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

• westminsterfly

I had, and still have, extremely grave doubts about Divine Will / Luisa Piccarreta right from when I first heard about it. A Mr Tony Hickey, a Medjugorje promoter, was largely responsible for avidly promoting it all over the UK (even though the bishop of Piccarreta’s diocese said that there were no official English translations of her writings, and they were not to be distributed).

This seems to be the official Church position on Divine Will so far: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/answers/luisa-piccarreta-14221 But I’m afraid I have absolutely no confidence any more in bishops’ decisions on private revelations, and as they are private revelations and I’m not bound to believe them, I’m not sinning by taking that position. Look at the farcical situations regarding other alleged apparitions: the bishop of Amsterdam approved the alleged ‘Our Lady of All Nations’ apparitions, and then the CDF reversed that position https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/47024/vaticans-doctrinal-office-dont-promote-alleged-apparitions-connected-to-lady-of-all-nations The bishop of Lipa, Philippines approved the alleged Marian apparitions there, and again it was reversed, and from what I’ve read, that situation has ping-ponged back and forth since then https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/34064/the-curious-case-of-the-lipa-marian-apparitions It’s become a joke. And I won’t even mention ‘Divine Mercy’ which detracts from the Easter Triduum (the Divine Mercy novena starts on Good Friday).

When the Church is teaching error in Her supposedly ‘official’ documents (like Amoris Laetitia) what chance have we got when it comes to believing decisions made by bishops – many lacking in decent spiritual formation – on recent alleged ‘apparitions’ and ‘messages’?

As for those who promote these things – an important document was issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in November 1996 and placed in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis, the official organ of the Holy See. It stated:

“Regarding the circulation of texts of alleged private revelations, the Congregation states: The interpretation given by some individuals to a decision approved by Paul VI on 14 October 1966 and promulgated on 15 November of that year, in virtue of which writings and messages resulting from alleged revelations could be freely circulated in the Church is absolutely groundless. This decision actually referred to the “Abolition of the Index of Forbidden Books” and determined that after the relevant censures were lifted, the moral obligation still remained of not circulating or reading those writings which endanger faith and morals. It should be recalled however, that with regard to the circulation of texts of alleged private revelations, Canon 823#1 of the current code remains in force: “the Pastors of the Church have the … right to demand that writings to be published by the Christian faithful which touch upon faith or morals be submitted to their judgement”. Alleged supernatural revelations and writings concerning them are submitted in first instance to the judgement of the diocesan Bishop, and in particular cases, to the judgement of the Episcopal Conference and the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.”

In a speech reported in the 18th September 1996 edition of L’Osservatore Romano, Pope John Paul II stated: “Some members of the People of God are not rooted firmly enough in the Faith, so that the sects, with their deceptive proselytism, mislead them to separate themselves from true communion in Christ. Within the Church community, the multiplication of supposed “apparitions” or “visions” is sowing confusion and reveals a certain lack of solid basis to the faith and Christian life among her members.”

Anyway, yes, give up your false/doubtful apparitions, and not just for Lent. STICK WITH FATIMA! P.S. As an aside. Frere Michel’s masterly trilogy on Fatima ‘The Whole Truth About Fatima’ is now available online: https://fatima.machado-family.com AND as an audiobook online. The link to Part One is here:- https://www.latinritemass.com/audio/whole-truth-about-fatima-vol-1, and the links to parts 2 and 3 follow on. I haven’t heard it yet, but apparently, this is an automated audio conversion, so please keep that in mind.

March 4, 2022 at 9:43 am

westminster fly,

Your comment is very helpful indeed. I’ve never heard of the Divine Will apparitions so what you have provided is very helpful, put together with the page in the introduction. How anyone can fall for these hoaxes is beyond me. Same goes for Medjugorje – I have friends who are believers in that and even that video of the “seer” flinching when she’s supposed to be in ecstasy, won’t convince them. They’ll believe the explanation that she though Our Lady was about to drop the Child Jesus! LOL! It’s really amazing. But if this past two years has proved anything, it’s proved that people don’t think clearly, they are mostly followers who will actually believe anything they’re told if it suits their agenda. They don’t want to know the truth.

It’s a great idea to give up these false beliefs for Lent – I once gave up sugar and have never gone back to it, LOL! So, you never know, this could lead to a real time of grace for people who think they’re right to believe in and even visit these false apparition sites.

March 4, 2022 at 10:44 am
    • Fidelis

Westminster Fly,

That’s great news about Frere Michel’s books being online now to read. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

March 4, 2022 at 11:35 pm
  • Catherine

I do hope those who have been innocently following these false apparitions do given then for lent, and more importantly, given them up for good. I am so blessed not to have been taken in my them myself. I think it could happen to anyone really.

March 4, 2022 at 10:52 am
    • Fidelis

Catherine,

I’m not sure about “it could happen to anyone” because – no offence intended – when I read about these alleged apparitions or locutions or whatever they are, I think you would need to be really gullible to believe the half of it.

Just the one example in the Medjugorje video at the top of this page would be enough to make any person of average intelligence wary of it. As of Our Lady would drop the Child Jesus! LOL!

Apart from that example, the fact that those Medjugorje “seers” are making money hand over fist should also make it clear to everyone that this is not a true apparition. Yet, I know people who will not budge on it. They have been there and they’ve experienced something supernatural. They forget that the devil is also supernatural!

March 4, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Fidelis,

While I understand your thinking, I consider it to be a mistake to imagine that those who believe in the Medjugorje (or other unapproved/false) apparitions are somehow lacking intelligence. I know professional people, people employed in the traditional professions, such as teaching, who are convinced of the truth of Medjugorje, for example. There are, of course, different types of intelligence but, generally speaking I wouldn’t write off the followers of unapproved apparitions on grounds of absence or lack of (certainly, academic) intelligence.

It’s difficult to explain, I admit, when we see evidence such as the video at the top of this page, but there are good, well-meaning people who are truly trying to live spiritual lives and wouldn’t want to defy the legitimate authority of the hierarchy. All we can note is that this crisis in the Church has really affected the thinking and judgements of Catholics in the matter of apparitions – including priests and religious.

March 5, 2022 at 4:25 pm
  • Faith of Our Fathers

I know not of False Apparitions Etc as I to am wary of them. After all one only Has to listen to the TV evangelists telling their audience the Holy Spirit asked them to put at least a $20 Note in the Plate . Of course there’s enough Dirty Money within our Catholic Church to go blaming Evangelicalists to make a Few Bob. But at least Mr Bergoglio has told us to be A Listening Church
    ( whatever that’s supposed to mean)
    as for the New One I to have never heard of it . As for God’s Will it’s easily pointed out by Jesus Christ in The Gospel. It’s the trying to Live it Daily that’s the Hard Part . At least for me.

March 4, 2022 at 5:56 pm
  • westminsterfly

FOOF
    “As for God’s Will it’s easily pointed out by Jesus Christ in The Gospel. It’s the trying to Live it Daily that’s the Hard Part . At least for me.”
    At least for all of us! Welcome to the club!

March 4, 2022 at 7:18 pm
  • Josephine

The people I know who are Medjugorje fanatics won’t give it up for a day, never mind 6 weeks. No chance.

I’d never heard of the Divine Will before reading about it here, but it is definitely dodgy.

March 4, 2022 at 9:09 pm
  • Fidelis

I don’t think the type of people who follow these false or unapproved apparitions are the type who would give them up for Lent. It’s a great idea, and it could help to wean some people off them, but I can’t see it taking off, not really. The problem with trying to convince people or warn them off of false or unapproved apparitions is they use the crisis in the Church to justify their disobedience. If you say but the local bishop hasn’t approved that one, they just reply that the bishops have all lost the faith! You can’t win.

March 4, 2022 at 11:43 pm

I’ve never heard of the Divine Will cult but I do know several followers of Medjugorje, and they won’t be giving that up for Lent. They’re totally sucked in.

They must be struggling to explain the Russian attack on Ukraine, though, because the Medjugorje “visionaries” have said that the consecration of Russia was done. It’s in one of the books I read ages ago, but it stuck in my mind. Then I read that they say Russia has had a spiritual awakening, with the Russian Orthodox Church being at the centre of life in that country and Putin kissing icons and seemingly so religious. They obviously don’t think Our Lady meant Russia would convert to Catholicism, after the consecration, just there would be a “spiritual awakening” of some kind.

The whole thing is ridiculous, but I agree with the others, that followers of Medjugorje in particular (and probably other unapproved apparitions) won’t give their devotions up, not even for Lent, LOL!

March 4, 2022 at 11:55 pm
  • RCAVictor

In keeping with my timeless tradition of sending you links, here’s Jim Cavaziel’s Instagram link:

And it seems he has a second Instagram account:

Jim Cavaziel, as you probably recall, played Our Lord in Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ. More to the point, however, he is a Medjugorje enthusiast….

March 5, 2022 at 12:57 am

In my considered opinion, Instagram and TikTok are platforms designed for wholly self-absorbed people. I mean, who, but who, gathers photos of themselves – even out-with the internet – and puts them on show?

By coincidence, or should that be photo-incidence, I’ve been clearing out papers (yet again) and came across the one and only photo of myself that makes me look passably human. To boot, it’s actually framed. It was taken in my somewhat younger days, when I was in Torquay for a short stay (long story, don’t ask) and a photographer snapped me in the dining room just as I was wondering whether to order apple juice or orange juice with my meal, and later presented me with the photo, framed, would you believe. I can’t recall asking him to take my photo, let alone frame it and I don’t remember paying for it, but in case he’s reading this, the statute of limitations has run out.

The point of this story is that when I came across the photo the other day, I wondered what to do with it because the last thing I’d do is put it out where visitors would see it (if anyone ever visits me, that is), never mind post it on the internet for all the world to see.

Signed Sister Uriah Heep of the Ever-burning Lamp 😀

PS, I knew Jim Cavaziel was/is a Medjugorje believer. Disappointing.

March 5, 2022 at 4:15 pm
      • St Bernadette

I would like to say thank you so much for this information and comments.

I can share this article with Catholics who are still confused.

I have been concerned about these false apparitions as I had noticed a rise in interest in the divine will and the flame of love rosary with other Catholics since the pandemic.

Apparently Christine Watkins from queen of peace media (Youtube) promotes the flame of love rosary. She has written around 9 books including the warning and She who shows the way, amongst others. She also unites with Daniel O Conner and some priests who promote the divine will also on You tube. They have a huge following.

The information here is so helpful and can clarify the truth. I will definitely use this.

Much appreciated.
        God bless.

March 5, 2022 at 8:50 pm

St Bernadette,

That’s great that you’ve found this thread helpful. I know you are new here, so don’t hesitate to ask any questions at all.

March 5, 2022 at 9:32 pm
  • francis de sales

Its about fricking time that you have brought it up re false apparition. I didnt believe fatima cos i went there twice to assess the place itself and its surroundings. I found that excessive marianologyin Fatima bit too far for my liking cos of extreme obsession with Fatima and its 3rd secrets.That is causing divisions among the laity and the priests/bishops. I found knock or lourdes more credible than Fatima.

Also its a private revelation,not public as we dont have to believe it or not. Same can be said for medjugorje as well cos i went there as well… something wasnt right there cos i was in the apparition room with the visionaires once or twice i think cos i saw a priest sweating as if he was afraid of something or what. The problem again as i found it was excessive marianlogy like i saw it in Fatima as well. Total focus should be more on Jesus himself.

Leave out all the private revelations and stick to the basics. It had been done in 1942 with pope pius xii but no buts or if’s.Its a huge distraction for the laity re fatima and the issue of conscreation as it doesnt do any good for their spiritual life.That isnt healthy in my view. Distraction is the work of enemy itself.

March 5, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Francis,

I think Josephine has covered most of your comment but you mention the “obsession with the 3rd Secret”.

If only you would study the issue instead of flailing around with conclusions that don’t fit the facts. The 3rd Secret – according to Cardinal Ciappi, Spiritual Director to the majority of modern popes, including JPII – is on record as saying that “In the Third Secret it is revealed that the crisis in the Church begins at the top.” You can read Christopher Ferrara’s book The Secret Still Hidden, online, here

No prizes for guessing why the Vatican isn’t keen to reveal it, then, but what amazes me is that any Catholic who has even the slightest slither of a Catholic sense, who possesses basic information about the nature of the Church, would not want to know the facts of that 3rd part of the Fatima Message, so that we can all understand the truth about what is going on in the Church right now, and has been going on since the 1960’s. Our Lady said that that part of the Message, now known as the 3rd Secret, simply because the Vatican insists on keeping it secret, was to be made known to the world, no later than 1960. If anyone had asked me, my best guess would have been that, had it been revealed, either Vatican II would have remained merely a glint in the eyes of the mad liberals desperate for their “reforming” [for which read “destructive”] Council, OR we would, at the very least, have been better prepared to comprehend what took place thereafter.

But nobody asked me…

March 5, 2022 at 11:07 pm
  • Josephine

francis de sales,

I don’t mean any disrespect, but you cannot possibly be a Catholic – you are mixed up at the best of times, but never more so than on this topic.

Fatima is not a distraction – Fatima gives us great hope. Most things prophesied have already come true. The two younger seers were told (when they asked Our Lady) that they would be taken to Heaven soon and they both died within a year or so. Lucia was told she was to remain on earth a while longer to implant devotion to the Immaculate heart of Mary and she only died in 2005.

Then – even before the October Revolution that introduced Communism into Russia – the children revealed that Communism would spread and God will that country to be consecrated to him. When that’s done, a period of peace will be granted the world, so if as you think it has been done, where’s the peace?

Pius XII did think he had fulfilled the request but he had not realised every bishop in the world had to join in the consecration prayer, so it wasn’t done as requested.

You need to know the difference between approved and unapproved apparitions – obviously you don’t or you would not have gone to Medjugorje. Read the introductory piece to this thread as there are fantastic, very educational, informative links in it.

You can’t call Fatima a distraction when two of the three seers have already been canonised and every prophesy has come true, except the one saying many nations will be annihilated. Maybe we are about to witness that one!

March 5, 2022 at 9:53 pm