Feast of Corpus Christi: Celebrating The Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist…

Ecce Panis Angelorum, factus cibus viatorum; vere panis filiorum, non mittendus canibus

Behold the Bread of Angels, become the food of the pilgrims: truly the bread of the sons,
which cannot be thrown to the dogs.

In figuris praesignatur, cum Isaac immolater, Agnus Paschae deputatur, datur manna patribus

It is pre-signified in types, when Isaac is brought to be sacrificed, the Paschal Lamb is chosen,
manna is given to the father

Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
He that eats My flesh and drinks My blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up on the last day.
(John: 6: 54-55)

Editor writes…

Happy Feast everyone!  Share your own favourite hymns and prayers in honour of the Blessed Sacrament.  And if anyone can find a better translation of Ecce Panis Angelorum, feel free to post it in the comments below. There are also another two verses but I can’t find any rendition which includes all four verses so again, if anyone else succeeds, post it below.

Finally, please, of your charity, remember some friends of this blog who are suffering serious illness and/or who are caring for family members who are very ill.  Our Lady of Lourdes, Health of the Sick, pray for them!

• Fidelis

Happy Feast of Corpus Christi – what a beautiful Feast day this is.

One of my favourite hymns is Sweet Sacrament Divine – I found it on YouTube and it brought back so many memories!

June 16, 2022 at 12:23 am
  • Marinaio

To all my fellow bloggers on this edifying site: may we always have the faith of Simon Peter and profess our faith as clearly as he did in the Gospel excerpt below, as we face the difficulties and evils of our time:

Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him. (John 6:54-57)
    Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard, and who can hear it? But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at this, said to them: “doth this scandalize you? (John 6: 61-62)
    After this many of his disciples went back; and walked no more with him. Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away? And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we have believed and have known, that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, (John 6:67-70)

June 16, 2022 at 4:00 am
    • Josephine

Marinaio,

Thank you for copying those passages from the Gospel because I encourage my Protestant friends to read this blog and I wonder, often, how they can say they struggle with Catholic doctrine when it’s all straight out of the pages of Scripture, as Jesus’s teaching on His Body & Blood is a “for instance”.

June 16, 2022 at 8:23 am
  • westminsterfly

On this feast day, please can I ask for prayers for my mother Eileen, who was taken into hospital last night with dementia and heart problems
    WF

June 16, 2022 at 8:04 am
    • Josephine

WF,

Praying for your mum today.

June 16, 2022 at 8:21 am
  • Catherine

Happy Feast Day. Iโ€™ll say a Haily Mary for your mother.

June 16, 2022 at 8:17 am
  • Josephine

A very happy Feast of Corpus Christi to one and all!

June 16, 2022 at 8:21 am

Wishing everyone at CTS a very happy and holy Feast of Corpus Christi.

I tried to find one of my favourite vernacular hymns, O Godhead Hid (devoutly I adore Thee) but the tune is different and the only two I can find with the right tune, are sung as if they are pop songs, so I gave them a pass and went for another favourite, St Thomas Aquinas “Panis Angelicus”. It’s a beautiful hymn of adoration of the Real Presence.

June 16, 2022 at 10:17 am

MM,

That’s very nice, but here’s my own favourite rendering of Panis Angelicus…

Panis angelicus
      Bread of Angelsย
      fit panis hominum;
      Is bread for all mankind;
      dat panis coelicus
      and most lowly servants
      pauper, pauper
      even the poorest
      servus et humilis.
      and most lowly servants

June 16, 2022 at 4:20 pm

For those who are enquiring about whether today is a Holy Day of Obligation in Scotland – no, it is not.

There is, however, Mass in the SSPX church in Glasgow this evening, at 6.30pm.

Address: St Andrewโ€™s, 202 Renfrew Street Glasgow G3 6TX

Hope to see you there, if you can manage.

I’m not aware of any other Traditional Latin Masses today, anywhere in Scotland, but if you know of any, you are welcome to advertise the details here.

June 16, 2022 at 10:57 am
    • Faith of Our Fathers

ED there is a T.L.Mass tonight in St Marys Cleland Lanarkshire near Motherwell at 19.00
      God Bless all on here and again thanks ED for keeping this Very Good Catholic Site open.
      Prayers for anyone and all Families especially those who are struggling in these times.

BTW their is Confession from 18.30 until 18.50. Please if anyone does come put a good Donation in the Collection Plate. Nothing Less than
      A Fiver. ๐Ÿ‘

June 16, 2022 at 1:33 pm

FOOF,

Thank you for that. I should have said that there is always confession available in the SSPX church before (and often after) Mass. Anything they do in the Diocese of Motherwell, we do as well, if not better, in Glasgow ๐Ÿ˜€

And there’s no collection at Mass except on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation, at which time everyone is encouraged (by me) to put all monies, however little or much, into an envelope marked “Catholic Truth: Editor’s New Outfit & Hairdo Fund”.

Simple ๐Ÿ˜€

June 16, 2022 at 1:45 pm
      • Faith of Our Fathers

ED am sure you do,
        after all Mr Toal cancelled our 8.00 Sunday Morning Mass by order of the Horrible Arthur Roche and Bergoglio. I put a post on here before about it and The Mass was well attended. O not unfortunately by people in my own Parish but from many from all over Lanarkshire. Of course we know from The Boss after His most recent ” Grandmas Lace ” statement that cancelling our Latin Mass was for the best.๐Ÿค”

June 16, 2022 at 3:15 pm

FOOF,

I take it by “Mr Toal” you mean Bishop Toal. Behave!

Apart from anything else, you diminish the responsibility of a prelate if you suggest that he is NOT a prelate. If there is, in the diocesan offices, a “Mr Toal” then he is not remotely responsible for what is going on in that diocese – the buck stops with the Bishop, no matter who is advising or assisting him. “Mr Toal” will not be judged in the same way that Bishop Toal will be judged.

So, like I say – behave!

June 16, 2022 at 4:16 pm
  • Theresa Rose

Wishing everyone a Happy and Holy Feast of Corpus Christi

June 16, 2022 at 12:31 pm
  • Michael ๐Ÿ™

Dear friends

Belated Happy Feast Day and a beautiful one also.

Every blessing

Michael ๐Ÿ™

June 17, 2022 at 10:18 am

With thanks to everyone who contributed to this Feast Day thread, it is now closed to comments.

June 17, 2022 at 10:33 am