Feast of Saints John Fisher & Thomas More

Feast of Saints John Fisher & Thomas More

These were Bishop John Fisher’s actual last words:

“Christian people, I am come hither to die for the faith of Christ’s Holy Catholic Church; and, I thank God, hitherto my stomach hath served me very well thereunto, so that yet I have not feared death; wherefore I desire you all to help and assist with your prayers, that, at the very point and instant of death’s stroke, I may in that very moment stand steadfast without fainting in any one point of the Catholic faith, free from any fear. And I beseech Almighty God of his infinite goodness to save the king and this realm, and that it may please him to hold his holy hand over it, and send the king a good council.” St. John Fisher, great and holy Matryr, pray for us!  Click here to read a slightly fuller account of the execution…

Below the sentencing scene from the film, A Man for All Seasons (St Thomas More)

From the YouTube platform…

The scene from “A Man for All Seasons” (Fred Zimmermann, 1966) in which Sir Thomas More is finally convicted of high treason and sentenced to death for refusing to swear an oath that King Henry VIII is the supreme head of the Church in England and that Anne Boleyn is now Queen of England.
[Editor: note that Henry VIII did not intend to establish a new Church.  He wanted to be recognised as head of the Church in England, not “of” England.]

Editor writes…

We might pray to these two magnificent saints today, for their intercession on behalf of the top churchmen – Pope, bishops and priests – who are leading souls astray during this time of crisis in the Church and in the world. Let’s remember, too, to pray especially for England today, Dowry of Mary, the land which gave us these outstanding martyrs. Saints John Fisher and Thomas More, pray for us!

These are two wonderful saints and I am praying that they will intercede for the Church on their special day. I didn’t know there was a film about St John Fisher, but I absolutely love A Man for All Seasons. It is one of the greatest films every made IMHO.

Happy Feast everyone!

July 9, 2022 at 9:33 am
    • Michael 🙏

Lily

I completely concur with you, two great and ‘openly Catholic’ saints not prepared to compromise their beliefs in the face of great persecution etc.

If only we had more of them during these dark times.

Happy feast day everyone and Gods blessing!

Every blessing

Michael 🙏

July 9, 2022 at 10:04 am

Michael,

I think you are correct – these two saints are an example to us of true Catholics who were not prepared to compromise their beliers, even in the fact of great persecution – well said.

I’m not so confident I would have their courage. The clip of Bishop John Fisher showing his fear, is so real. I would be every bit, probably more, terrified.

Happy Feast!

July 9, 2022 at 2:45 pm
    • Josephine

Lily,

I do pray with you that these two wonderful saints will intercede for the Church in England today.

July 9, 2022 at 2:14 pm

It’s hard to keep a dry eye watching the clips of these great saints and it puts into perspective our own difficulties at this time of crisis in the Church.

Happy Feast everyone!

July 9, 2022 at 12:18 pm
  • Nicky

Inspirational!

Happy Feast to all CTS bloggers.

July 9, 2022 at 1:50 pm
  • Josephine

Those two saints really are an inspiration, that’s for sure. I went to research hymns about England and found this which I think is beautiful.

Happy Feast of Saints & Martyrs, John Fisher and Thomas More!

July 9, 2022 at 2:11 pm
    • Michaela

That is a beautiful song. Very appropriate for this feast day.

Happy Feast to everyone!

July 9, 2022 at 2:32 pm

I agree – it’s a really beautiful hymn.

Happy Feast, bloggers!

July 9, 2022 at 2:42 pm
    • Theresa Rose

That is a beautiful and a stirring hymn that raises ones spirit. It is an apt hymn on this feast day of Saint Thomas More and Saint John Fisher.

Happy Feast Day, everyone.

July 9, 2022 at 4:38 pm
  • Michaela

Here’s an example of how Christians are being martyred today. We should pray for this doctor who has lost his job over the transgender issue.

July 9, 2022 at 2:31 pm

Happy Feast to one and all. Great saints indeed. I think Archbishop Lefebvre is the closest comparison to them, a prelate consumed with love of Our Saviour, the Church and souls, now happily, I believe, enjoying his eternal reward.

July 9, 2022 at 2:40 pm
    • Michael🙏

Athanasius

I agree. I’m sure He now is blessed with the Beatific Vision.

One day he will be made a Doctor of the Church. I have no doubts about this, given his writings, fidelity and witness during a period of great evil and turmoil in the life of the Church and the World.

Ave Maria!

Michael

July 9, 2022 at 2:56 pm

It strikes me that I should have posted the other two clips which precede the one I published in the introduction, so here are the three, including the sentencing scene (#3) already published in the introduction – there are some nuggets in each clip, not to be missed…

July 9, 2022 at 3:07 pm
  • Faith of Our Fathers

Happy Feast Day of these 2 Great Saints who knew their Real Master.
    How must it have been on Henry 8th Deathbed to know that He was surrounded by Reprobate Priests. Henry who in His Youth was True to The One Holy and Catholic Apostolic Church.

It certainly makes me think of my own Death and do I want a Priest who is Compromised with The World or Even worse one of those Wrongly Ordained in the last Few Weeks. And it definitely makes me think of Bergoglio who if ever He had any of The Catholic Faith must know that when His time comes He is surrounded by Yes Men and The Lavender Brigade.
    God Help Me have one of these Great Saints Spiritually Lie with me on my Death Bed and a Good Priest True to The Catholic Faith also.
    God Bless All.

July 9, 2022 at 3:28 pm
  • Fidelis

The persecution of the Chinese Catholics continues, with the Pope’s continuing help.

I think those poor souls are undergoing a terrible martyrdom. St John Fisher and St Thomas More, please pray for them.

July 9, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this Feast Day thread – we continue to value and pray to these great saints and martyrs. Saints John Fisher and Thomas More, pray for us all.

July 10, 2022 at 12:16 am