Opus Dei… Time To Say Goodbye?

Opus Dei… Time To Say Goodbye?

Westminsterfly (WF) emailed the following information earlier today…

Looks like Opus Dei is imploding.   Click here and here to read more. Gloria TV has had a series of posts recently showing that certain OD priests and prelates are going as mad as Francis.  This one is a real shocker and so is this one

Editor writes…

So much for the allegedly faithful-to-Catholic-teaching “right wing”/”conservative” Opus Dei.  I was never a fan, to be honest.  Opus Dei in Glasgow holds the honour of having sent the very first letter to arrive in the Catholic Truth office demanding to be removed from our mailing list.  It was crystal clear then, all those years ago, that this organisation was not what it was advertising “on the tin”.

So, if you are still thinking of this Church crisis along the lines of  “modernist or diocesan versus traditional” – think again.  Long and hard.

For quite a few years now, I’ve expressed the view that the crisis in the Church is very wide and very deep and involves more than just the diocesan bishops and clergy.  A lot more. I’m still of the same opinion – except it’s no longer a “mere” crisis, but a wholesale apostasy.  In any event, I can’t think of a single so-called traditional group that could be described as “crisis taint-free” if you get my drift.  Certainly not Opus Dei.   Your thoughts…

• Andrew Q Reply

They always seem to be a cult within a cult and papolotrous for the most part. Thus when you’ve got a pope(?) doing all kinds of mad stuff – pachamama worship, Luther adulation, anti-Conversion, Sin-is-fine-and-dandy, etc – the Opus Dei folk reflect that in their own uncritical actions. The fish rots from the head.

December 13, 2022 at 12:08 am
    • Bernie Reply

“The fish rots from the head” – so very true. Bad pope, bad bishops and priests (though not all, thank God) to the people who are so mixed up, it’s unbelievable.

December 13, 2022 at 10:52 am

Bernie,

Check out the most recent Catholic Schools thread, to discover why Catholics are so mixed up. Incredible.

December 13, 2022 at 2:15 pm
      • Fidelis

Bernie,

I agree, not all priests and bishops are bad but we’ve had more than our fair share in recent times.

December 13, 2022 at 8:22 pm
    • editor Reply

Andrew Q

Spot on – that is why we had been driving home the dangers of papolatry prior to the Francis pontificate. At least we don’t have that to do any more, or at least, not as much. However, Opus Dei is “officially” papolatrist, so it’s hardly surprising, really, that they’ve gone off the rails.

December 13, 2022 at 2:17 pm
  • Faith of Our Fathers Reply

Nothing new here then EH . The links are good as they show the Good [ Priests ] are willing to Eat and Break Bread with Homosexuals and Prostitutes of the Social Peripheries .Unfortunately for Souls of course it had to be the Bread of Our Lord Jesus Christ . Funny but not laughable was the recent You Tube of [ This Mob ] blaming Taylor Marshall for Bergoglio cancelling The Latin Mass .It seems that Bergoglio blames Marshall for throwing the Pachamama Idols into the Tiber [ which He did of course have a hand in ] But EH blame everyone for all the ills in this World except Bergoglio .Personally i believe that along with the Pachamama Idols other objects from the Vatican should be tossed into the Tiber. Our Lord Jesus said to the Apostles as we know from Scripture to look for the signs for the End Times .Well we have Russia and Ukraine .We have Iran and Saudi Arabia .We have China Taiwan . China and India . Pakistan and India . Turkey and Greece .All at each others throats O and not forgetting that Putin has said that He will Bomb Cities where Drones are made if those Drones Bomb Russian Cities [ He has a point ] .Then of course we have Civil War in the U.S.A. not Declared but give it Time . All this and our useless Man in Rome saying Global Warming is the biggest threat in these Times to Mother Earth and its Inhabitants . God Help Us All .

December 13, 2022 at 8:43 am
    • editor Reply

FOOF,

It’s incredible how easily the gullible are fooled by the “green” nonsense. Even the Pope seems to have forgotten that God is in charge of the planet, not Greta Thunberg & Co. For “Co.” read “Conspirators”!

December 13, 2022 at 2:14 pm
  • Margaret Mary Reply

I’ve not had anything to do with Opus Dei personally, but I have a friend who felt that his son was being brainwashed, that his son was in a cult.

It’s obvious from the last two “shocker” links that whatever their original intentions, Opus Dei is given over to the Francis Church mentality. I agree, “time to say goodbye” to them.

December 13, 2022 at 10:25 am
    • Bernie Reply

I’ve heard that before, that Opus Dei is cult-like. I’ve heard the same thing about the SSPX.

I don’t know if the Opus Dei cult is a traditional Mass-saying group but you can get the Latin Mass in some parishes now so I say avoid the doubtful ones and find a traditional parish Mass.

December 13, 2022 at 10:50 am
    • editor Reply

MM,

Yes, I’ve heard of parents with similar concerns, when they felt that their parental authority was being undermined by Opus Dei.

December 13, 2022 at 2:12 pm
  • westminsterfly Reply

Time to say goodbye? I never said hello!

Bernie
    Apparently, while he was alive, the founder Josemaria Escriva received a Papal dispensation to allow him to continue offering the TLM, but this was not given to the rest of the OD priests. I’ve never known an Opus Dei priest to offer the TLM (especially in the UK) but I am open to correction on that.

Funny you mentioning that they asked to be removed from your mailing list straight away. I also recall that OD was asked if it would like a stall at the Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice ‘Faith of our Fathers’ London conference back in the 1990’s, attended by well over 1,000 people who came to hear Mother Mary Angelica speak. There were also somewhere around 50-70 Catholic apostolates and religious groups each represented by taking a stall at the event. PEEP invited OD and received a letter back very quickly making it clear it didn’t want to be associated with such an event.

I also know a large family, and most of the grandchildren have gone through schools which although not run by Opus Dei as such, are affiliated to them, and a lot of the staff are Opus Dei members. Nearly all of the grandchildren have lapsed or are in the process of lapsing, which would suggest that OD have no better record of transmitting the Faith than mainstream Catholic schools. I get the impression from what I’ve heard that these private schools are of a very high academic standard, and are filled with the children of wealthy parents (often non-Catholics) wanting the best secular education for their children.

There is a website called Opus Dei Awareness Network https://odan.org for those who have been adversely affected by the organisation.

OFF TOPIC (Sorry Ed): Just found out that the bishop of Hexham and Newcastle who has resigned was an Oratorian – so chances are he would have been good. https://gloria.tv/post/72BuEanM1yAJ3Edq4VEzXCsA8 I wish he would have stayed and fought, as we need good bishops and priests. What is the worst Francis could have done to him? Removed him? Well he’s done that himself anyway.

December 13, 2022 at 12:05 pm
    • Fidelis Reply

WF,

I have wondered about the Opus Dei priests and the TLM – I think someone told me ages ago that they don’t say the old Mass. What was the point of their Founder getting permission to say it, if he didn’t get the same permission for his priests? That is odd.

December 13, 2022 at 8:21 pm
  • westminsterfly Reply

Further to my ‘Off Topic’ paragraph – I have had people who weren’t members of Opus Dei disagree with my stance, and say that Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei, has been canonised, and that they have found his writings helpful in their spiritual life. This may be so. But bear in mind St Ignatius of Loyola who founded the Jesuit Order is also canonised – and in a time when canonisations were not suspect – but I don’t think anyone would disagree that the Jesuits are now completely off the rails. Having a canonised saint as a Founder does not guarantee orthodoxy until the end of time. As for shocking canonisations / beatifications, they’re even talking about beatifying the horrific Abp Helder Camara now: https://gloria.tv/post/Eqm16y4XMjPW38xQ9Y7dDCUNw Where will it all end . . .

December 13, 2022 at 1:12 pm
    • editor Reply

WF,

Excellent point – having a canonised Founder does not guarantee lifelong orthodoxy as evidenced by the spiritual, moral and religious decline of the Jesuits. Plus the fast-tracked and other contemporary canonisations (like Escriva’s) will surely be “double-checked” against the strict criteria of yore, when sanity and sanctity return to the Vatican. At least that is one’s opinion, when one is having one’s hope-filled moment(s)…

December 13, 2022 at 2:10 pm
    • Josephine Reply

WF,

Beatifying Camara – the idea is shock horror stuff. I copied the first shocker in the list on your gloriaTV article, which I think says it all:

1931: At his ordination, Câmara wears the uniform of the notorious Green Shirt militia under his cassock.

The whole canonisation process has to be restored to what it used to be – it’s a mockery now, and makes the Church a laughing stock.

December 13, 2022 at 4:15 pm
  • editor Reply

WF,

Your opening… “I never said hello” is hilarious. Well said.

Catholic Truth had a stall at that Pro Ecclesia conference – I remember it well. Or wait, no, I think it must have been the next conference because I don’t think Mother Angelica was the speaker when we had a stall, but I’m not sure of the dates. Catholic Truth wasn’t launched until 1999, so it must have been after that one when we had a stall. And no, I haven’t been drinking. In fact, it’s just about time for a cuppa so I’ll quit while I’m ahead. If this is what you could call being ahead. In fact, it’s a true saying, if you want to be ahead, buy a hat 😀

As for your “off topic” comment – worry not. This blog has more strikers than the NHS and Royal Mail combined, so nothing is really off topic these days.

I agree with your assessment that the Bishop of Hexham & Newcastle is more likely than not, a sound bishop opposed to Traditionis Custodes, and thus not having an easy life. There are some such bishops and they deserve our praise and prayers, although not necessarily in that order… 😀

December 13, 2022 at 2:06 pm
    • westminsterfly Reply

In 1999 you were one of the guest speakers that year. I’ve still got the tape! So unless CT was up and running by then in 1999, it must have been in 2000 that you had a stall.

December 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm

WF,

Burn that tape! Thank you for the reminder – I can hardly tell one day from another right now, never mind one year from another.

It surprises me, though, because I thought I must have been invited due to the launch of Catholic Truth – we sent out our “sample” newsletter in January 1999 to test feedback and then launched the first official edition to mark the Feast of St John Ogilvie in March 1999 (despite the feedback 😀 Kidding!)

It all seems like years ago 😀

December 13, 2022 at 5:15 pm
  • Josephine Reply

I’ve never rated Opus Dei, nothing specific, just had a bad feeling about them.

December 13, 2022 at 4:12 pm
  • cbucket Reply

I’ll just leave this here …

December 13, 2022 at 4:16 pm
    • Fidelis Reply

cbucket,

That’s beautiful.

December 13, 2022 at 8:17 pm
  • Laura Reply

I have always kept Opus Dei at arm’s length. I had friends who were involved with it a good while ago now, but I could not take to it at all. Now that they’re obviously as bad as Francis, I can see I was right to give them a body swerve.

December 13, 2022 at 8:27 pm
  • Nicky Reply

I don’t know anything about Opus Dei so I am writing them off as just one more sign of the decay in the Church after reading some of those links in the introduction.

December 14, 2022 at 9:37 am